Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #41
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm 37

born in Nyack, NY (suburb of NYC)... bounced around quite a bit till my parents settled in Guilford, CT when i was in 6th grade... following love and music, i ended up in Boston, MA when i was 18 (1985)

i've also bounced around quite a bit up here (Fenway in Boston, Framingham, Marlborough, Hopkinton, Medway, Walpole, Canton), currently residing in a suburb know as Stoughton, MA where i own a house

for descent:

mom's side is a typical irish american family of twelve, with a good deal of welsh if you go back a few generations before coming to the states... they lived a few generations in boston, then bought a lot of land outside NYC with a bunch of other irish families and moved there when my mom was very young (1950)

dad's side is originally from northern ireland with "proper" irish on the maternal side... they came over and lived in canada for a few generations, then moved to the NYC area before my father was born
Old 11-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #42
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

You're from Nyack originally!

I'm a town or two over!... like, 15 minutes away! My brother and I take voice lessons in Nyack!

I'll make it clear right now. I go to college in MA. I live in NY.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-22-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #43
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Right. College in NY. Lives in MA. Got it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #44
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
You're from Nyack originally!
too cool... the group of irish families my mother's family was a part of bought a lot of land and built a bunch of houses along marycrest road in nyack... not many live in that exact neighborhood still, but i still visit one of my uncles down there every so often who owns a deli in the area

very pretty town, especially being right on the hudson
Old 11-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #45
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Right. College in NY. Lives in MA. Got it.
Shut up, Aragorn.

Hey... you're a New Yorker too, Aragorn.

Quote:
too cool... the group of irish families my mother's family was a part of bought a lot of land and built a bunch of houses along marycrest road in nyack... not many live in that exact neighborhood still, but i still visit one of my uncles down there every so often who owns a deli in the area

very pretty town, especially being right on the hudson
My whole town is Irish... except me.

The Hudson is very nice. Nyack's a really good place to go shopping... or walking.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-22-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #46
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I was born in 1948 in Fort Worth, Texas. I graduated in 1970 from Tulane University with a B.S. in Biology, and from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1974 with an M.D. I did a five year surgical residency, and now live and practice in East Texas. I am married to the love of my life, and we have two sons, 18 and 6. I am of English descent on both sides.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #47
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

42, 'dark' German on my mom's side, English-Welsh-Scottish (sounding like a terrier yet?) on my dad's - with just a smidge of American Indian - let's say 1/16th. My dad grew up in small town southern Illinois, where grandpa was a coal miner - my mom is an immigrant who was born in Czechoslovakia and moved to Austria after the War - then on to US.

Married for 11+ years, 3 small boys (6,4,2) and a mortgage on a house in Chicago, Architect, Christian. Born in Alaska, but didn't stay long (we moved away when I was 6 months old) and got to spend one summer of college in China!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #48
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
42, 'dark' German on my mom's side, English-Welsh-Scottish (sounding like a terrier yet?)
Ooo... if you're a terrier, I, Elemmire, aka Amarie, aka Ungoliant, aka Finrodlvr, must be one too.

Religion. Good idea. My family is Protestant (hence, WASP), switching between Presbyterian and Methodist, but my mom is a scientist - though a strange one who believes in things such as reincarnation and keeps tarot cards - so early on I began to doubt Christianity.

In 7th grade I read Inherit the Wind, and that was around the time when I was fullblown atheist or agnostic, depending on the day, kind of like BoP, I suppose. Now I've taken more of an interest in Eastern believes, and agree with a lot of Taoist philosophy. I've also... experimented, a strange term to use in religion, but oh well, with some of the neo-Pagan traditions (such as participating in a Samhain/Halloween ritual... trust me, there was no sacrifice or anything of the sort. It was rather interesting, but enough to make me decide that I do not follow that tradition either).

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-22-2004, 04:40 PM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ah 'Mire, good to see another wishy-washy sort.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #50
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Oh yes, throughout high school my friends kept on making fun of me. I'd say, "Well, I think I've finally decided what I believe in" and they'd be like, "What is it today?"

It really isn't as bad as that, though... I know the core of what I believe... and this should really be over in Rian's thread, but oh well, but with the details, I tend to borrow and trade in at random

I also know what I would like to believe, but sometimes I have to ask myself if I really believe these things, or if I'm only trying to convince myself that I do...

It can get pretty convoluted.

ooo... so I have a shortened name now... I was wondering what it was going to be. 'Mire. I like that.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-22-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #51
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Weeell, I put an apostrophe in there so it wouldn't look like you were boggy!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #52
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

boggy?

*and thus I once again show off my newbie stupidity*

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #53
inked
Elf Lord

Beware, 'Mire, as it all may be a ruse to get your pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(mire=muddy, as in a bog, ergo boggy)
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #54
Mercutio

I'm German. And more German. And 4 more Germans. And then 1 part Scottish and 1 part Swiss.

but I was born in Iowa...? lol

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #55
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

So... you're 3/4 German, 1/8 Scottish, and 1/8 Swiss?

And I know, inked. How well I know.

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #56
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Beware, 'Mire, as it all may be a ruse to get your pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(mire=muddy, as in a bog, ergo boggy)
You tryin' to let all me secrets out again?

/me hides the bog trap behind her back

[hums]They're selling postcards of the hanging
They're painting the passports brown
The beauty parlor is filled with sailors
The circus is in town
Here comes the blind commissioner
They've got him in a trance
One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
The other is in his pants
And the riot squad they're restless
They need somewhere to go
As Lady and I look out tonight
From Desolation Row...
[/hums]
Old 11-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #57
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

How come I dont get a nickname (hmph)

oh well. So Im glad people are being on-topicy. YEah this is absically a thread to learn abioout one another.

Seems we have spread to religion. I dont have one. Though I believe in something. Not sure what. Kinda like somekind of energy type thing having to do with statistical ratios and what not. I dont believ in any kind of god though. Its more to me a kind of emotion or something. Oh and my name is Ian Dyer-Bennem. Ian is the scottish for John. Interestingly I am named after Ian Holm. Dyer is a classic English name and Bennem is one of a kind. Bennem should be spelt Benham which is English but when my grandpa came over from Canada he couldnt write so we spelled it phonetically and hence I am the only bennem in the world. Oh and I am 15 from Boston if I haevnt said that.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #58
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Hi, Ian! You know what John means? "God is Gracious." I know that because my grandmother's name is Jane.

Oh yes... I'm obsessed with names. I spend too much free time randomly translating my friends' names into Quenya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
You tryin' to let all me secrets out again?

/me hides the bog trap behind her back
Oh no, BoP, you let that secret out all by yourself.

Neil Gaiman
Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #59
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

ooh what a zinger. So my name means Gaewd's gracus laddy.
Well I have four tests tomorrow. Gotta stuidy though I will be on all after school tomorrow. Lata.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 AM   #60
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i'm 37
Dennis (the Constitutional Peasant):I'm 37, I'm not old!
King Arthur: Well I'm sorry, but from behind you looked...
Dennis: Well I object to being automatically treated like an inferior!
King Arthur: Well I did say sorry about the old woman.

I wonder what the average Mooting age is. Maybe we can determine it after a while, from those who post in this thread, and try to make an inference on the entire population. But if the average age of regular posters is different from all of Entmoot, then we would introduce bias. Further, using only those mooters that are interested in this thread might also introduce bias. So... maybe it wouldn't work...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote