Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2002, 09:31 AM   #41
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Man we gto to start the Blubberers club mentioned before

Too many good times from the book sbeing brought up we nneed to start the blubberers club that someone mentioned before I'm in for sure.

What about Gimli guys he and Legolas went into the West but Gimli was still mortal and doomed to die thats kinda sad as well.

Elfstone
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:51 AM   #42
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To Luinilwen and Menelgavor

Menelgavor is correct. The story of Aragorn's and Arwen's passings is in Appendix A, part V, "HERE FOLLOWS A PART OF THE TALE OF ARAGORN AND ARWEN"

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:52 AM   #43
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Ooops...got the books mixed up...IT IS in one of the appendices of ROTK: the story of how they first met, got married, became royalty, and how she outlived him...

I checked Sil but couldn't find it. Am back in TTT just as they are about to leave Orthanc (and a nice part to stop for a read-rest i might say)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:58 AM   #44
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To Elfstone

See appendix B, year 1541.
"Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed, an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring."
Cheer up, Elfstone. I'm sure Prof. T was saying that Gimli was allowed to accompany Legolas to the Blessed Realm.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #45
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by aldesign
i was close to tears when Boromir died

his last valiant fighting efforts defending Merry & Pippen were excellent. And made him a great man and hero in Striders' and my view.

The film was excellent at encaptulating this moment, all in slow mo, and when the final arrow hit, u could see the tears in the hobbits eyes, as they drew their swords and charged in anger
i agree! the movie really crystallized the redemption, as it were, of boromir. his struggle with himself over the ring rang true, and his realization of what he'd done and what he'd almost done were clearly shown.

i was both crying and cheering for him at his end!
Old 01-17-2002, 07:24 PM   #46
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

thankyou for the affirmation, master arathorn

and i think gimli 'elf-friend' was the only dwarf permitted to go to the grey havens. it's in ROTK at the very end of app A.

Quote:
Here follows one of the last notes in the Red Book: We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Gloin's son with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf. If this is true, then it is strange indeed; that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should recieve him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter.
i think it's more grim that Frodo should leave Sam behind, although by doing this he allows him to be "one and whole" and not "torn in two" *sigh*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:53 PM   #47
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

From what i've heard and read, Sam follows Frodo to the havens in 4th Age 82, after rosie dies....
And Gimli and legolas sail in 4th Age 120, the year that Aragorn and Arwen die.

I think its so strong, loyal and sad that sam has hardly any food and no water on the journey up orodruin (giving it all to Frodo) and still manages to carry him up the mountain

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:38 PM   #48
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

In the books, when Gandalf died the first time I read it, that brought tears to my eyes, and each time through the scene at the Grey Havens does it to me as well.

In the film, I shed tears at several different points each time, but Boromir's death scene certainly touches me each time.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #49
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Yes. If I were watching FOTR in an empty room, I suspect I would cry from Gandalf's death to the end.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #50
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

The Silmarillion states that elves, at the end of the time in Middle-earth, leave for the Blessed Realm. (I'm assuming that Elves who were killed also ended up there somehow, but don't recall reading about it.) Men's spirits go somewhere unkown to the Elves, since Eru granted death to mankind as a gift, although they generally didn't see it that way.
Did Tolkien say anything about an afterlife for Hobbits, Dwarves, or Ents?

Old 01-18-2002, 12:41 AM   #51
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hobbits are basically Men, except small versions, and would have the same "afterlife" as Men. Letters, page 158.

I don't recall reading anything yet about the afterlife and Dwarves or Ents.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:16 AM   #52
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
In the film, I shed tears at several different points each time, but Boromir's death scene certainly touches me each time.
yes, i went again to see the film and cried again at this point.

i thought it odd, when i first saw the movie, that i should cry over boromir - because i recalled a different picture of his character from having read the book. in the book, i always found his character rather unsympathetic and small and self-serving, but the way his character is portrayed in the movie was a much richer, fuller view of the man and his struggles.

slightly off this subject - there are a couple of scenes that bother me each time i see the film - the first is when bilbo reaches for the ring in rivendell and has that snarkly, orc face come over his features. it seemed, well, cheesy. the second cheesy depiction for me was galadriel - she seemed to be on a heavy dose of medication, and just strange for the revered lady of the golden wood. this was a depiction that just didn't mesh with my reading. & then of course, there was her cheesy 'beautiful yet terrible queen of the world' episode and the big " 'whew' i passed the test speech" - she just came off a bit demented to me . . .

but enough of this minor criticism . . .
Old 01-20-2002, 10:14 AM   #53
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah, I cried a few times during the book at the end, and even a few times in the movie. Elijah wood did a really good job acting out Frodo's burden of the Ring. He'd better keep that up for the other movies. . .
Vardasoroniel, I thought the Galadriel scene was a bit cheesy too, and the Gandalf vs Saruman thing as well . . . although I almost cried for Gandalf later when he was imprisoned at the top of Orthanc and watching the transformation of Isengard.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:57 AM   #54
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Hmm. It probably would have been a sad point in the film when Boromir died, but he spent so long milking his death in cliche slow motion I think I may have fallen asleep and missed that bit! Sean Bean was not a good choice for Boromir, he had to play the hero didn't he? He couldn't have created any form of suspense if he tried, oh, and his hair was the wrong colour and too short. Boromir's death was better in the animated film, cartoon characters don't seem to take half an hour to die!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:14 PM   #55
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, Agburanar, I could not disagree more wholeheartedly.

I found the slow motion effective in the death of Boromir, as I did Sean Bean's acting. He did a fine job, brought depth and subtlety to the role, and although his hair may have been the wrong color and too short, I feel those are acceptable losses in the grand scheme of things. All in all I thought he did a creditable job, the role was well-scripted in the face of other shortcomings, and that in all his performance one of the best in the film.

Film reviewing is always subjective, and I think we simply draw observations on Bean's performance from two diametrically opposite sides of the spectrum. Oh well, that's movies for ya!
Old 01-20-2002, 03:36 PM   #56
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
he had to play the hero didn't he?
9 of the 11 or some major roles casted were heroes who would you have him play Galadriel.

Addressing Vardasoroniel:
The Galadriel "DEMON OF THE WEST!!!" thing was a bit cheesy possibly but it made sense for Bilbo to suddenly become his gollum like alter-ego. It is different from the book but everyone I've talked to who hasn't read the book esspecially liked that part .
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #57
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Okay the Galad thing was cheesy but Sean was awesome.

Man you guys are just looking for something to critisize Sean Bean was awesome, and for people who haventread the books didn't think he took so long to die, for us we knew what was happening for them they were in the moment.

Sean Bean did an aweseom job as Boromir.

Elfstone.
(trying not to make enemies )
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:24 PM   #58
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider Re: Okay the Galad thing was cheesy but Sean was awesome.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfstone.
.Sean Bean did an aweseom job as Boromir.

Elfstone.
(trying not to make enemies )
i wholeheartedly agree. i think he portrayed the struggle of a man with conflicted emotions very well, & after all, as an 'epic' hero he's allowed to play it a bit over the top.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:33 PM   #59
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by CardenIAntauraNauco

9 of the 11 or some major roles casted were heroes who would you have him play Galadriel.

Addressing Vardasoroniel:
The Galadriel "DEMON OF THE WEST!!!" thing was a bit cheesy possibly but it made sense for Bilbo to suddenly become his gollum like alter-ego. It is different from the book but everyone I've talked to who hasn't read the book esspecially liked that part .
as a comic aside - if sean bean had played galadriel, perhaps she would have come off a bit more heroic, and less like someone in an extended opium dream . . .

as for bilbo, i agree that his obsession with the ring turns him into his alter-ego gollum - it's the b-movie theatrics of his face suddenly going goblinish that jarred my sense of the scene. i think it could have been played just as well, if not better, with his actual face becoming mean-looking and dangerously obsessed.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:38 PM   #60
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Vardasoroniel, I thought the Galadriel scene was a bit cheesy too, and the Gandalf vs Saruman thing as well . . . although I almost cried for Gandalf later when he was imprisoned at the top of Orthanc and watching the transformation of Isengard.
the wizard duel wasn't too bad - at least they looked like themselves while fighting and didn't assume some demonlike faces to show the 'intensity' of the scene, as did bilbo and galadriel in their 'intense' emotional scenes.