Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well said Coney. And there is no doubt that there will be other political discussions on Entmoot. The closing of the "Iraq" thread does not imply a ban on political discussion or the discussion of Iraq. It was a way to stop the flames, and calm some tempers. All I have asked of everyone since its closure, is to have a cooling off period before any such discussion is brought back.
I'm calm. Can I open a new one now?
Quote:

I have taken a lot of heat for closing that thread, but I want everyone to understand that eventhough things may have seemed worse at other points in it, and it was allowed to remain open, there is a limit, and the last straw. You know, in most cases it is the conduct of the posters themselves that will determine the fate of a thread. In this case, it was IMO becoming explosive and off topic, and was no longer conducive to the discussion. In short, it was spinning out of control as it had before.
It did get out of a control for a little bit. And are you saying my conduct was bad? You know - the edited words in my posts on this thread make it seem like I said something a lot worse than I did. It leaves it up to the readers to try filling in the blanks. Someone else pointed that out too.
Quote:

I am sure that everyone's withdrawl will be short lived, and If any new discussions surface in the near future, that all will exercise more self-control, because the next time you know what will happen and that thread may not last for 55 pages, or even 10. That will be up to the participants, and I for one, do not wish to be on the other side of the fence as this last time.
I'm starting to get over the withdrawl - I can every now and then mention something about Iraq in one of the other threads. The Iraq thread had actually been dormant for about a month before it blew up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-15-2003 at 03:09 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I'm calm. Can I open a new one now?
NO!

Quote:
It did get out of a control for a little bit. And are you saying my conduct was bad? You know - the edited words in my posts on this thread make it seem like I said something a lot worse than I did. It leaves it up to the readers to try filling in the blanks. Someone else pointed that out too.
I realize that JD, and it isn't that what you said was all that bad, it was that it was offensive to another, and the same applies to flames that were directed toward you. When I learned to moderate which wasn't at Entmoot, mods were instructed to edit, and delete flames but to copy and paste them for reference. If flaming occurs, it sort of defeats the purpose of the "no flameing" rule, to leave it up for the rest of the community to see, especially if it is majorly insulting. It also let's the community know that the rules are being enforced and that the thread is being watched. It shows a presence, which is impotant in a community this size. Members want to feel secure in their community.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:35 PM   #43
jerseydevil

Quote:
I realize that JD, and it isn't that what you said was all that bad, it was that it was offensive to another, and the same applies to flames that were directed toward you. When I learned to moderate which wasn't at Entmoot, mods were instructed to edit, and delete flames but to copy and paste them for reference.
When I realised you edited out what I said on this thread - I luckily had that page still opened with the original comments - so I was able to save it. I didn't want someone to come back later and misquote me on anything.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
When I realised you edited out what I said on this thread - I luckily had that page still opened with the original comments - so I was able to save it. I didn't want someone to come back later and misquote me on anything.
That's good thinking, but I don't think you have to worry about that happening. It seems that there are more people upset about this thing that were'nt even involved, than the people that were that night.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-15-2003, 03:51 PM   #45
jerseydevil

Quote:
That's good thinking, but I don't think you have to worry about that happening. It seems that there are more people upset about this thing that were'nt even involved, than the people that were that night.
Sort of reminds me of the outcry from some people against Pink and Purple Day and the whole Freddie thing. Although Pink and Purple Day affected the entire board, but Freddie only affected General Messages.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-15-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #46
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
You know - the edited words in my posts on this thread make it seem like I said something a lot worse than I did. It leaves it up to the readers to try filling in the blanks. Someone else pointed that out too.
I have to say I agree with this. Mostly because I've seen statements here on this board which I would classify as strong flaming, but which still escaped editing. If things like that pass, it makes you wonder how bad it is when a post actually is edited.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #47
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
The Iraq thread had actually been dormant for about a month before it blew up.
I revived it
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:32 PM   #48
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I revived it
I couldn't remember who revived it. I had told Khamul that it was going to be revived when certain things happened in the UN and stuff - but then it didn't.

I guess next week we'll have to just start a war thread - because the general feeling is that by next weekend the troops are going in. But who knows - we've been holding back since September.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #49
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Well, I think it would be interesting to have one designated thread for completely off-topic talk. That way, all the people who want to be on-topic on the already existing threads may do so without interuption.

SGH- You can't win! I have a feling many-a thread will be closed by the Three Stooges before you realize that.

By-the-way: Which one-a you is Curly?
Old 03-15-2003, 09:54 PM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
Well, I think it would be interesting to have one designated thread for completely off-topic talk. That way, all the people who want to be on-topic on the already existing threads may do so without interuption.

SGH- You can't win! I have a feling many-a thread will be closed by the Three Stooges before you realize that.

By-the-way: Which one-a you is Curly?
My dear wahine, I in the end can always win. I have the power of banning.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #51
wahine

*fearful look*

*feigns adoration* I LOVE YOU!

*hopes that will save any future indescretions*
Old 03-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #52
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #53
wahine

O, Great an Beautiful Mistress with the Golden Tresses!

Knowing me, it will be all too tempting to get banned. I iss tricksy I iss...
Old 03-15-2003, 11:31 PM   #54
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
O, Great an Beautiful Mistress with the Golden Tresses!

Knowing me, it will be all too tempting to get banned. I iss tricksy I iss...
sneaky little hobbitses!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-15-2003, 11:37 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Watch out, wahine, SGH didn't just fall off the turnip truck! (comes from being Queen of Nargothrond, I suppose) In addition to banning, she can change your title to something obnoxious (what did you admins used to change it to for a miscreant 'Mooter? "Smelly orc"?) She can also edit your posts and make it look like you're saying things you would never say!! (she wouldn't do that, tho!) *crosses fingers*....

And there's always the dreaded ASOW (Admin Stick of Wrath)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:02 AM   #56
wahine

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
sneaky little hobbitses!
Hobbitssess are triksy but womanssess are triksierssss *sorry*

Quote:
Watch out, wahine, SGH didn't just fall off the turnip truck! (comes from being Queen of Nargothrond, I suppose) In addition to banning, she can change your title to something obnoxious (what did you admins used to change it to for a miscreant 'Mooter? "Smelly orc"?) She can also edit your posts and make it look like you're saying things you would never say!! (she wouldn't do that, tho!) *crosses fingers*....
Smelly Orc? Cool. A new kinda goal.

Quote:
And there's always the dreaded ASOW (Admin Stick of Wrath)
And this said Admin stick of wrath what does it do?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #57
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*trembles in memory of being whacked *

you don't want to know!!

Really, guys, even tho I'll probably be called 'teachers pet', I think the admins do a great job and we should try to support them. Entmoot has really been a pleasure for me, and from what I hear, other boards aren't so nice, no they aren't, my preciousssss!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:20 AM   #58
Smaug
Enting

The ASOW sounds like a modern-day version of the LART (Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool)

Back in the old days, clueless users were referred to as lusers.

There doesn't seem to be much of a need for either, here. I don't think I've ever seen a "Smelly Orc", and I've only seen one spammer with a custom status of "Banned!"
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:35 AM   #59
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Hobbitssess are triksy but womanssess are triksierssss *sorry*
I know, I've found out the hard way!

--Linaewen
Old 03-16-2003, 01:30 AM   #60
Ben
Retired Ent

Quote:
I had also been looking forward to becoming an Elf Lord but wonder now how carefully I'm going to have to talk in my posts throughout Entmoot. That takes all the fun out of it.
As long as you do not insult or intentionally provoke other members, you should be fine. We tend to be lenient with keeping threads open, but we don't want this to turn into the flaming newsgroups. Threads are closed to keep the attitude more civil and friendly, resulting in a more fun experience for most Mooters. Boards become very unpleasant where major insulting goes unchecked.

Quote:
put a stop to discussion of all controversial topics here, even in General Messages
This has been suggested before. I think that people can debate controversial issues maturely, although after several hundred replies, the discussion is bound to get repetitive and heated.

Quote:
Really, guys, even tho I'll probably be called 'teachers pet', I think the admins do a great job and we should try to support them. Entmoot has really been a pleasure for me, and from what I hear, other boards aren't so nice, no they aren't, my preciousssss!!
Thank you .

Because SGH edited out the flames, I was unable to see them, but I trust her judgment.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote