Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #41
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Why Now Eowyn? Woman don't tend to long for power as much as men Perticully if Faramir stayed with her the etire time the way same did for Frodo (Not that sam and frodo are gay, but you get the point)
I don't think so, Galadriel wouldn't take the ring and she was one of the eldar.

Quote:
Surely removing these rings from middle earth would have destroyed much of saurons potential power?
But didn't they use those rings to hinder Saurons power and protect Imladris and Lorien?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:42 PM   #42
osszie
Elven Warrior

No I think Galadriel would not take the ring beacause of the power she knew it beheld. As with Gandalf.

Did they use the power of the rings to Protect themselves from sauron? Or did they use that power to build their own kingdoms?

Remember the deceptions of Sauron when the rings were first given as gifts!!!

Last edited by osszie : 06-27-2002 at 08:43 PM.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:47 PM   #43
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

The rings naturally enhanced the surrounding area in which it was hidden.. (i.e. Lothlorien and Rivendell)..

The three rings weren't given as gifts, only the other 16, which Sauron stole.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:06 PM   #44
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
"The Three were made by Celembrimber alone,and Sauron's hand has never touched or sullied them..."

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:40 PM   #45
osszie
Elven Warrior

ahhhh................oh pesimistic me

thank you folks
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:49 AM   #46
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

But, unfotunetly Sauron still can control the three rings by the one ring. (but I'''m sure you know that)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:28 PM   #47
Christiana
Elf Lord

Yeah,I ment they werent evil.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Old 07-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #48
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

i do not think that any one would willingly distroy the Ring. if some one had carried it up mount doom, and then told its partner what it was, and also told his partner that some lies, like, no one can use it, it dose evil on its own, in or out of the dark lords hand, and that if any one else held it for 1 1/2 years then it would kill them, and that they were about to die b/c the 1 1/2 years was allmost up then asked the other person if they would take the honors of throwing the ring into the fires of mount doom and gave them the Ring, then they would distroy it. or maybe if it was a hobbit who had only resieved the Ring resantly, and had not known about it on the way up to mount doom, and then ben handed the Ring, and asked the Hobbit, or whoever did not desire more or any power to throw it in, then it would have been distroyed.

But on sencod thoughts, why would any one that was not an orc or other evil creacher go up mount doom any ways if they wear not dragged, and if they where dragged then it would not have been dine willingly, b/c they were dragged up to the top right? And if it was an evil creacher, then whoever had the Ring fiirst would have never made it to mount doom.

And still if the paragraph above was false, and whoever went up there herd the lies or the truth or whatever you were going to tell them, then whoever brought them up there would have not benn willing to give it to the person, unless the person had to resall it from the other person!

So i geuss that it would be very unlikly, but possible if it was a person who desired no power that through it in after resalling it from the person that had it before him, and for some reson told the other person who desired no power about it instead of running away with the Ring!

That was a hard, but good question!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:44 PM   #49
Harad
Hobbit

I've been away for a long time. I have visited the Mountain and looked into the Cracks of Doom.

Still...no one has responded to the JRRT thoughts that I posted so I suppose I must.

JRRT says:

Quote:
it was beyond the strength of any will (even his own) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it.
This seems pretty clear. Butt, and this is a very big butt. He follows this sentence with the sentence:

Quote:
So he [Sauron] thought.
This IMO completely negates the previous sentence. Further negating are the FACTS that both Bilbo and Sam willingly gave up the Ring.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:04 AM   #50
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Welcome back, Harad.
It's clear that Sauron was wrong (in your quote)in that Frodo was willing to destroy it - to undertake the journey to throw it away. The fact that he failed does not negate his heroism; he failed but the quest succeeded, as Frodo himself said.
Bilbo gave it up only with Gandalf's help, and it was hard; he almost failed.
Sam gave it up before he got into Mordor, after he had had it only a little while. His hobbit common sense came to his rescue.
Frodo IMO was the only one who could have gotten as far as he did.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:03 AM   #51
Harad
Hobbit

Thanks EL.

IMO what was "wrong" was not that Frodo was willing to destroy the Ring--many might have been willing--the issue was whether he was CAPABLE of destroying the Ring.

JRRT says:

Quote:
But, for one thing, it became at last quite clear that Frodo after all that had happened would be incapable of voluntarily destroying the Ring.
This again sounds quite definitive, except for the phrase:

Quote:
after all that had happened...
Remember that Frodo had a Morgul wound, had been stung by Shelob, had been starved, thirsted, and worn out by the arduous trek to Mount Doom. This is "alll that had happened." Therefore, the phrase implies to me that under other circumstances Frodo WOULD have been capable. Furthermore I also believe that under other circumstances people such as Faramir, Aragorn, or Gandalf could also have willingly destroyed the Ring.

Commenting on someones contention that Tom Bombadil could have destroyed the Ring: yes, but the issue is moot. Bombadil was incapable of either sustaining the thought to destroy the Ring or traveling to Mount Doom. Therefore he has to be ruled out.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:01 PM   #52
Christiana
Elf Lord

what does imo mean?

Old 08-05-2002, 07:26 AM   #53
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I thought it meant 'in my opinion'
Old 08-05-2002, 02:11 PM   #54
Christiana
Elf Lord

o.thank you.

Old 08-05-2002, 04:22 PM   #55
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

thanxs, i was wondering that to!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:34 PM   #56
Celandine
Elven Warrior

when ever some one gets to the lava pit of doom (i know that's not really what it is called) where the ring can be destroyed, they always decide they want the ring for themselves, it is weird i don't think that any one could really destroy the ring willingly, unless they have never worn the ring or maybe Tolkien had sme explanation for it in one of his books, that's just my theory.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:38 PM   #57
Sween
im quite stupid

You have to rember the ring was very powerfull. And its main objectives were quite simple from the time sauron lost the rings a) stay alive which aint that hard all its got to do is stay away from a big firey mountian b) return to the hand of its master.

Hobbits are strange creatures as they have no desire to dominate or rule. All they wanna do is drink beer and smoke and not do much work (in many ways they remind me of students). Gandalf only desire was to rid the world of evil that been his job. Aragorn desired to be king and he is but a man and it works easily on men. It would of seduced elves beacuse they dont want to fade rember they could not bring themselves to destroy there rings.

When the rings on the cracks of doom it thinks 'oh ****' and its powers go into overdrive. It was obvious that frodo was not going to destroy the ring from the time he took it back off sam. Could sam of destroyed it i dont know. Sam is a lot stronger than frodo in many ways all he wanted was to cure his master he may of done it on his behalf But to destroy it you have to touch it and when you do that it works its magic.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:24 PM   #58
Archbob the Elder
Enting

Gandalf is a Maiar, but not more powerful than Sauron, it is stated that Sauron was the greatest of the Maiar.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:27 PM   #59
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Celandine, remember, there were other strong people in the world that stronger then Sauron and don't need and want the ring, andif they would want they could rull the world - the other valar and maiar.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 PM   #60
Sween
im quite stupid

Could tom of destroyed the ring?