Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #41
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
You're right. However, what I commented on was what you posted, and what you post is my business.

I never said you had ever defied moderator decisions or anything else. and yes, I remember when you PMd me in support. what does that have to do with this? It was my opinion that what you said wasn't polite. Am I not allowed to have an opinion, either because it differs from yours, or because staff shouldn't?
When I said "it's none of your business" I was giving a caveat to my explanation of my intial post. I chose to respond because I wanted to clarify, not because I felt there was anything wrong with your response. You seem to think that I was commenting on your right to respond. I wasn't. But in looking back at my second post I can see why you might think that. The 'business' comment was connected to a comment on the fact of your posting.
Quote:
Either way, it's really none of your business, though it is interesting that you felt compelled to comment
I did not mean to imply a relationship between the two, but the sentence is ambiguous. This was due to sloppiness on my part. 'Either way' is clearly connected with the preceding thought but is easily confused with the second , admitally 'flip', half (which to my mind was unrelated as I wrote it).

To sum up:
1. I don't feel there was anything wrong with your comment.
2. I chose to respond for the purpose of clarity.
3. I failed.
4. I'm sorry.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #42
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Hello Americans!
Happy 'stealing your independence'!!
Only joking
happy independence day, american brothers!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
When I said "it's none of your business" I was giving a caveat to my explanation of my intial post. I chose to respond because I wanted to clarify, not because I felt there was anything wrong with your response. You seem to think that I was commenting on your right to respond. I wasn't. But in looking back at my second post I can see why you might think that. The 'business' comment was connected to a comment on the fact of your posting.

I did not mean to imply a relationship between the two, but the sentence is ambiguous. This was due to sloppiness on my part. 'Either way' is clearly connected with the preceding thought but is easily confused with the second , admitally 'flip', half (which to my mind was unrelated as I wrote it).

To sum up:
1. I don't feel there was anything wrong with your comment.
2. I chose to respond for the purpose of clarity.
3. I failed.
4. I'm sorry.
We'll consider the matter closed.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #44
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I seem to be hearing those 3 little words: pot, kettle, black.
Yeah.......I'm in the habit of writing abusive messages to total strangers who live on the other side of the planet

Anyhoo......love him or loathe him, he's gone. Lets see if a political discussion can last more than a week before the thread(s) burst into flames now.
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:56 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
Yeah.......I'm in the habit of writing abusive messages to total strangers who live on the other side of the planet

Anyhoo......love him or loathe him, he's gone. Lets see if a political discussion can last more than a week before the thread(s) burst into flames now.
Like I said: pot, kettle, black.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 01:32 AM   #46
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've had a pleasant 4th of July. Met with friends, met with my sister who just returned from Oxford, for a time, enjoyed some massive conversation with her, enjoyed conversation with other very intelligent persons as well, got to watch the first two episodes of the second season of West Wing . . . it's been a very pleasant time . Ah yes, heard an excellent sermon as well. This post would probably belong in the "happy thread", if there weren't a thread particularly made for this day. Ah yes, I did some very enjoyable writing too, and took a day off school. This post of course relates not very well to anyone but myself :P.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:51 AM   #47
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Like I said: pot, kettle, black.
Oh, like that is it?

JD can't handle that many people don't agree with his opinions and beliefs so he quits the forums and you want to blame anyone but JD for his decision.

Sorry to disapoint you SGH.....but there was not great conspiracy to get rid of JD ........ I doubt anyone had anything personal against him..... the simple fact is that he couldn't handle the atmosphere here and he quit.

He wasn't universally loved and respected.......he seems to have gotten over the fact and moved on. Good for him.
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #48
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Hello Americans!
Happy 'stealing your independence'!!
Only joking
happy independence day, american brothers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
Happy Independance Day, America.
Thanks to you both! Honestly, I can't think of another country I'd rather we had won our independence from!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #49
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Happy Independence Day!

And please, please, let's not turn this into a pro/con-JD thread.
I wasn't even aware that JD had left.

<< slow-witted
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:29 AM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
Oh, like that is it?

JD can't handle that many people don't agree with his opinions and beliefs so he quits the forums and you want to blame anyone but JD for his decision.

Sorry to disapoint you SGH.....but there was not great conspiracy to get rid of JD ........ I doubt anyone had anything personal against him..... the simple fact is that he couldn't handle the atmosphere here and he quit.

He wasn't universally loved and respected.......he seems to have gotten over the fact and moved on. Good for him.
Well, let's set the record straight. It wasn't that he couldn't handle people diagreeing with his opinions and beliefs. What his problem was, was that people that didn't agree with him didn't respect his opinions and beliefs. They also constantly baited him into flame wars, and then when he reacted they would complain to the administration. It's like they could dish it out, but couldn't take it. The blame for him leaving the forums lies in many directions.

As for some great conspiracy to get him to leave, who knows? But from the evidence that existed in posts, PMs and some general conversation that took place in the moderator forum, it certianly seemed as though a conspiracy was a possibility.

For no one having anything personal against him, he certianly bore the brunt of some personal attacks like being called mentally ill, and told to get a life and a job. As for being able to handle the atmosphere here, he handled it for nearly three years, but there came a time when enough was enough.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #51
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hope y'all had a happy 4th of July.

It's a shame to see that JD has taken off. But I find it weird that other people are being blamed for it. You reap what you sow.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #52
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh shush about JD all ready. He left, and that's all there is to it. If there were a bunch of people trying to get rid of him: Fine, he's gone. If not, then he's another person who's left.

I think he's a great guy, but if you're honestly sorry that he's gone, IM him about it, don't post on a forum that he doesn't come to any more.

And Happy Fourth .

EDIT:

Oh and before anyone goes and jumps on me: I think JD is a GREAT guy. I talk to him quite a bit over AIM. But when you make friends over the net you have to get used to them coming and going.

The fact that JD left the moot is nothing huge, I hardly posted with him, and I still talk to him over AIM so it doesn't hurt me much.

Last edited by Tessar : 07-06-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Hope y'all had a happy 4th of July.

It's a shame to see that JD has taken off. But I find it weird that other people are being blamed for it. You reap what you sow.
I'm not blaming any one person. as I said, it was a multitude of different things. So, you would say that if you were flamed, baited, and blamed for everything that goes wrong here, even though there is proof that you were actually being singled out and harassed, then nothing and no one is to blame but you?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #54
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
I'm not blaming any one person. as I said, it was a multitude of different things. So, you would say that if you were flamed, baited, and blamed for everything that goes wrong here, even though there is proof that you were actually being singled out and harassed, then nothing and no one is to blame but you?
This isn't solving anything you know...
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
This isn't solving anything you know...
Tessar, the thread starter wanted to discuss JD's leaving, so it isn't like it's off topic. No one ever seemed to have a problem discussing and even speaking for another member that wasn't around any longer, not so long ago. So why is this different? Why is one okay and not the other?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #56
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You know what? I'm not going to get into this. I shouldn'tve posted in the first place
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #57
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
You know what? I'm not going to get into this. I shouldn'tve posted in the first place
Okay handsome.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #58
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

OK, since it's up, here's my two cents.
Quote:
Well, if that really happened to me then I'd have left a long time ago. But I would ask myself why people were treating me like that and question whether my behviour might have contributed. However, I think it's an exaggeration to rhetorical effect.

My experience of JD was that it was impossible to have a constructive discussion with him. His response to disagreement was invariably a blend of distortion, posturing and self-righteousness. Frequently, I have experienced positive, interesting discussions being totally ruined by his interventions. Latterly, I've tended to ignore threads where he was active. Maybe others felt the same way.

Like I said, you reap what you sow.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #59
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:

Well, if that really happened to me then I'd have left a long time ago. But I would ask myself why people were treating me like that and question whether my behviour might have contributed. However, I think it's an exaggeration to rhetorical effect.

My experience of JD was that it was impossible to have a constructive discussion with him. His response to disagreement was invariably a blend of distortion, posturing and self-righteousness. Frequently, I have experienced positive, interesting discussions being totally ruined by his interventions. Latterly, I've tended to ignore threads where he was active. Maybe others felt the same way.

Ditto on all accounts.

In other news:

The fourth was awesome. I had to work all day, but that wasn't so bad, even though I felt bad because someone dumped a batch of unweaned kittens at our door (I work at a petstore) and I dont think they're going to make it.

Fireworks, whee!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

The funny part is that he may have disagreed, but I think he was very capable and often did have constructive discussions. In reviewing many threads, it was more the other way around. People hated his opinionated style and that his views were different from theirs. As long as he knuckled under or agreed, they had no problem, but there is no rule on Entmoot that says anyone has to agree with another.

Travel and Tourism Guide