Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 PM   #41
katya
Elven Maiden

That, or sometimes my mom would give me an explanation as a joke thinking it didn`t matter, but I would remember and later have to adjust my view on reality. That or I just misunderstood. Like when I asked where babies come from, I ended up believing that quite literally, the father goes to heaven and picks one out, cuts open the mom`s stomach and puts it in. That explained the scar from getting her appendix out too. I always really hated "Because I said so" or "Because this is my house" though. I still get mad thinking about it. Parents have no right to act like that.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #42
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
I always really hated "Because I said so" or "Because this is my house" though. I still get mad thinking about it. Parents have no right to act like that.
I know, huh! Whenever I have a child, I will NEVER treat them like idiots and brush them off with pithy, bossy one-liners. I will NOT be the mother who says "because I said so," or anything along those lines. I'll take the time to explain the real reason why or why not, even if it takes a couple minutes.

Does anyone remember the first song they could sing? Mine was "You Can't Always Get What You Want," that Rolling Stones song, because my father used to have speakers set up in my baby-bedroom in England and he'd constantly play Stones records for me. I used to sing that song to my baby sister all the time! The other song I first learned was "The Little Drummer Boy," that rum-pa-pum-pum Christmas song.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 AM   #43
katya
Elven Maiden

Mine was probably some Disney song. I was watching those sing-along things all the time. I never actually watched the whole movies. I`d get to scared and cry when the characters I liked were in trouble. Brave Little Toaster especially.

Other than that, I liked "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats. I still do like it, I have to admit, but I don`t know how much of that was because of the memories. I think I liked it just because I liked cats. My dad would always play it for me. He used to play "The Laughing Gnome" from David Bowie`s "Starting Point" album too, but I don`t remember it clearly. That and the "Creatures in the Cave" song, as I used to call it, from Pink Floyd`s Umma Gumma album. Now it gives me the creeps but I really liked it when I was little. I liked "Keep Talking" from The Division Bell a lot too. That was when I was a little bit older though. Maybe 5.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 AM   #44
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
I never actually watched the whole movies. I`d get to scared and cry when the characters I liked were in trouble. .
HAH! That reminds me of the first movie I saw - it was Snow White, and I was absolutely RIVeted to it, and remembering back to how it made me feel to watch something for the first time the closest I can compare it to would be like imagine a Matrix/interactive virtual reality sort of scenario. I was THAT drawn in. Which explains how utterly and completely upset I got by that witch, and I swear I had problems with that Snow white witch for years afterward. She starred in many an early childhood nightmare of mine.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #45
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I tended to get into stuff a lot more when I was little. Another memory- I was sitting in the house on the couch, and my parents and some friends were outside on the porch. They were playing the music from Clockwork Orange really loud, and I was digging it, at first. I was picturing this scene with me, and the "lady" (actually Alex) on the album cover. But then the way the music went, the scene changed to where I was killed, and I started screaming and crying for them to turn it off. Yare yare, lol. I got more excited about birthdays and, well, pretty much everything too. Remember how things were just so mysterious and interesting when we were little? I used to sit at the window and wait to see the cement truck go by because it was sooo cool with its spinning thing with the bright colours.

As for scary movies, besides for Brave Little Toaster, there was The Hobbit, the animated version. The idea of the spiders wrapping the dwarves in the webs, and the fact that even Bilbo was kinda kimoi too, unsettled me. Very much.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #46
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I'm sure mine was "I'm a Little Teapot" or something. I wish it had been from the Stones or Floyd. When my little cousin was three years old, he used to sing (scream) that "I'm Proud to be an American" song in its entirety. That's pretty impressive.

Katya, you just reminded me of a silly thing I once thought. This is actually my earliest memory, and I was between two and three at the time. My little brother had just been born, and my grandma or my dad was holding me up in the hospital so I could look through a big, glass wall. I was watching my mom being wheeled through aisles of babies. I thought she was shopping, and when she picked up my little brother, I threw a fit, because he was ugly and I wanted her to pick a different one.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #47
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
I was watching my mom being wheeled through aisles of babies. I thought she was shopping, and when she picked up my little brother, I threw a fit, because he was ugly and I wanted her to pick a different one.
Lol!!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 AM   #48
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hey, check this out -

" I used to try and sneak up on my toys sometimes to see if they were really alive while I was gone. Then I realized that if the movie (The Christmas Toy)was right and I did see them alive and talking, it would instanty kill them. This paradox bothered me for a good portion of my childhood. "

- quote taken from elsewhere, not mine

Well, I can kinda relate because for a long, long time I inSISted upon believing that my stuffed animals had hearts and feelings, and were alive like the Velveteen Rabbit - even though I didn't believe in God or Santa Claus, still I believed my toys had feelings. Go figure.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #49
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
This is actually my earliest memory, and I was between two and three at the time. My little brother had just been born, and my grandma or my dad was holding me up in the hospital so I could look through a big, glass wall. I was watching my mom being wheeled through aisles of babies. I thought she was shopping, and when she picked up my little brother, I threw a fit, because he was ugly and I wanted her to pick a different one.
that's hysterical, Bombadillo!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 AM   #50
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

hah, my first words were "Butthead" and "Beer". I'd always ask for beer and call people, even the ones i liked, Butthead. Because my brothers were eviiil.

My first song...was "Me and my Llama."

Mine was "windmill' and probably "You are my Sunshine" (Me being Lmm)
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #51
E, LoR
Elven Warrior

I remember having two imaginary friends as a really little kid, Jackie Lee Ann, and Kiki. Kiki didn't make as many appearances as Jackie Lee Ann did, because she was the one with a more retiring nature, but whenever I did something perfectly evil (like uprooting my older sister's radish's because they were growing better than mine ), it was always Jackie Lee Ann's fault!! heehee........
I used to idolize my sister too...that stopped as soon as I was 10, but I still consider her to be my best friend.

Quote:
I thought she was shopping, and when she picked up my little brother, I threw a fit, because he was ugly and I wanted her to pick a different one.
heehee...that's really funny Bombadillo!!!

I think my first song was probably baby beluga or something....

I have a younger cousin who used to, when he was mad at me, tell me "you aren't my cousin anymore!!" like he was going to disown me or something.

Special

Let's pant the world in magic in 90 seconds!

THATS RIGHT FOLK! E, LoR's BACK!

Last edited by E, LoR : 01-19-2006 at 09:21 PM.
E, LoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #52
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

When I was around 4 or 5 I believed I had 100 sisters who lived in a world called Keyaka. A few years ago mom gave me a list of names I had made for them. The names were all household items with 'a' added onto the end. E.g. Doora, Floora, Lampa, Chaira etc.

I failed to grow out of this. I changed the name of the world to Kiacca, changed the 100 sisters to characters and started writing.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #53
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E, LoR
I have a younger cousin who used to, when he was mad at me, tell me "you aren't my cousin anymore!!" like he was going to disown me or something.
Oooh, the times my sister and I yelled that to one another... I lost count. Later on my sister would always say I was not her real sister but adopted from Outer-Mongolia. More imaginative, I'll give her that, but she often pressed the subject and that was far less fun.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #54
E, LoR
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Oooh, the times my sister and I yelled that to one another... I lost count. Later on my sister would always say I was not her real sister but adopted from Outer-Mongolia. More imaginative, I'll give her that, but she often pressed the subject and that was far less fun.
lol, my sister and I rarely had fights, and we have much less now that we're older... we share eachother's clothes and everything...it's so much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdelena
When I was around 4 or 5 I believed I had 100 sisters who lived in a world called Keyaka. A few years ago mom gave me a list of names I had made for them. The names were all household items with 'a' added onto the end. E.g. Doora, Floora, Lampa, Chaira etc.

I failed to grow out of this. I changed the name of the world to Kiacca, changed the 100 sisters to characters and started writing.
the names are hysterical! and it was a great idea to turn them into characters and write about them

Special

Let's pant the world in magic in 90 seconds!

THATS RIGHT FOLK! E, LoR's BACK!

Last edited by E, LoR : 01-20-2006 at 09:25 AM.
E, LoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #55
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Well, I can kinda relate because for a long, long time I inSISted upon believing that my stuffed animals had hearts and feelings, and were alive like the Velveteen Rabbit - even though I didn't believe in God or Santa Claus, still I believed my toys had feelings. Go figure.
Heh. I was convinced that my stuffed toys moved around when I was asleep. How else can you explain the fact that I'd go to bed with them, and then in the morning, I'd wake up, and they'd be on the floor?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #56
katya
Elven Maiden

Sometimes I go to sleep with a warm pajama vest on, and I wake up and it`s on the floor too. I think I still treat my stuffed animals like they have feelings. ^^;

I remember one time I went to my friend`s house next door, and we were playing some sort of game where we had magical powers (like Power Rangers or something), and we were each supposed to have a bead that contained our power. I picked pink or yellow or something for mine, and my friend said no, I shouldn`t do that. Pink is too close to red, and red is the devil`s favourite colour. I think that`s when I went to yellow. No, yellow`s no good either- it`s only two steps away from red in the rainbow. In the end, we all ended up with clear whitish beads.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #57
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E, LoR
I have a little cousin who used to do that too! And the funny thing is, my little brother picked that up from him and started telling me "you're not my brother anymore," even though he's four years older than my cousin and definately knew that it couldn't change our family relationship. He probably thought of it as the ultimate disrespect or something.

There was also a little kid who lived down the block from us. We called him "Baby Eddie" until he was about six and we moved away. We played with him and his sister (my age) so often that his first word was "Bobby," my little brother's name. But as he got older he started calling us "The Bobbys," and actually labeled us Bobby and Bobby Number 2 and Bobby Number 3. Little kids are awesome. He just couldn't say "Andrew" or "Steven."