Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 PM   #41
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Offhand, I can't think of any that I would be happy to see cut.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:48 PM   #42
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Scenes that should not be left out of the Two Towers

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Merry and Pippin 'standing guard' - smoking good Hobbit weed, eating food, and relaxing.
Yeah I really like that scene. It better not be left out.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 12:35 AM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

And to think... I started this thread!

Thank you Samwise, yes it is time for me to read the books again. At least Shelob is at the end of the books, so she is close to the events that happen in the Two Towers... um... no excuse.

Anyway, there's no way she'll be left out of the Two Towers.

Cheerio!
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:13 AM   #44
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Gandalf comes back and Legolas, Gimili, and Aragorn hide in the tree thinking he is Sauruman and try to attack him, then they have a talk and they relise it's Gandalf. That part HAS TO be in the movie! I think it's funny. (for some strange reason)
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:54 PM   #45
Telperion
Enting

A scene that absolutely CANNOT be cut out is when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet Eomer for the first time. Everytime i read TTT, i read as fast as i can until i get to that scene. i just love it!
I also don't want when Frodo and Sam meet Farimir to be cut out. As a matter of fact, i don't want any scenes to be cut out but those are the ones i care about most.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:40 PM   #46
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Telperion
A scene that absolutely CANNOT be cut out is when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet Eomer for the first time. Everytime i read TTT, i read as fast as i can until i get to that scene. i just love it!
I also don't want when Frodo and Sam meet Farimir to be cut out. As a matter of fact, i don't want any scenes to be cut out but those are the ones i care about most.
I think you'll find that if you watch the TT trailer you will see those scenes are in the movie.How closely they stick to the book is unknown.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:41 PM   #47
Celebrian
Enting

They absolutley have to have Shelob, if they don't how could they end? One scene that has to be there, is when Gandalf is talking to Theoden, and the room is dark, but then he lifts up his staff and there is light coming in one window. I really like that scene, and it is described very well. I have the feeling Shelob is going to be in the third movie!

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:51 AM   #48
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Interesting article in the newest LotR fan club magazine (yes , I have stooped so low - but it's an excellent magazine). Titled Update with Peter Jackson ( stop me if you've all read this). He talks about Gollum as CGI character, and the more "liberated role" of Arwen, and then discusses the Two Towers:
"I would say that, of the three films, the TT is the one where we have certainly developed things further than what was in the book. . .we have followed the basic plot of the book. But we've found . . .that we feel the need to develop the characters and to put things in the movie that aren't in the book -- which is different than changing things. . . for instance you want to have a scene between Merry, Pippin and Treebeard that is just not in the book -- but you need it for the film, so you write it . .I think that TT has more original material with our characters than the Fellowship had and certainly more than the RotK has."

Be warned. I personally would love to see more scenes with Treebeard and the hobbits.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:57 AM   #49
madeyejay
Hobbit

I think moving Shelob to ROTK is a mistake. That is key to the ending and the beginning of the next book. Alos I think as fans, we would not want anything cut. We would want a movie with every detail, if possible. The excerpt about PJ adding scenes scares me a little. Hopefully he does not get carried away.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:22 PM   #50
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great scenes, all.

The scene where Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf meet Eomer and company for the first time, as well as where they meet Gandalf in Fangorn are definately essential.

So essential that they're in the trailer the TTT! You can download it from www.lordoftherings.net ! !

The whole Selob being ROTK instead of TTT would be wrong. That whole misunderstanding was my fault because I thought Shelob was actually in that book. I don't think Shelob will be in the ROTK movie, because she is key in TTT.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:41 PM   #51
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
It is pretty much official that Shelob has been moved to ROTK.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #52
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Seriously!?

This will make for a lame TTT ending if this is true.

Could it be because they have too much story to deal with in TTT?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:26 AM   #53
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It is because ROTK is a much shorter book than TT; it makes more sense to try and shovel more of TT over into the third segment, to bulk it out more. It's not like he's changing the timeframes....much.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:28 AM   #54
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

Shelob has not only been moved to RotK because this is a shorter book. It is also so the timeline will be correct. In the books, Tolkien wrote the first half of TTT about Merry, Pippin, Ents, and Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and Edoras/Helms Deep. The second half is all about Gollum, Sam and Frodo (and Faramir)....at the end of TTT Gollum, Sam and Frodo are WAY ahead of where the story left off for the others, and if PJ is jumping back and forth between the three groups he has to stick to more or less the same timeline.

In the book you know that both Sam and Frodo are free and travelling through Mordor way before the troops from Minas Tirith travel to challenge Sauron and are showed the sword, cape and Mithril mail!!
I am sure that not only is PJ trying to follow the timeline, but he also has to figure out where to put what in order to make it as exciting as possible.

As for there not being an exciting end if Shelob is moved....what about seeing Aragorn entering the paths of the dead, Gandalf and Pippin feeling 'desperate' having just been told by Faramir which way Sam and Frodo were attempting to enter Mordor....and ending with Sam and Frodo (with tears streaming down his face) watching the forces leaving for Mordor heading for war, and Frodo being convinced that he was too late!!
However he does it, I do not doubt that PJ will try to make it as exciting as possible, but also try to finish somewhere that seems a natural ending...........after all we have to wait another year for RotK!!
I personally love all the Sam/Frodo and Gollum scenes, but one of my favourite is the 'rabbit stew' where Sam looks at Frodo and he looks Elvish...as if a light is shining from within....I don't know if PJ is brave enough to include Sam professing his love for Frodo, but I wish he would.
Another scene I would love is the one alreadly mentioned when Gollum finds them both asleep with Frodo's head in Sam's lap...but that might be moved to the third movie too....and I love the 'sneaking' part too!! I cannot see PJ leaving that out!!

Ah, well, we can only wait and hope that as much as possible has been kept..........good news is that the rumour that Helms Deep fight is 45 minutes long is not true. PJ said in an interview that it is about 15 minutes (during the last 30 minutes of TTT interspersed with other scenes)...so there is lots of time for many many other scenes
Old 10-28-2002, 02:36 PM   #55
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

lol, anyway, can you imagine the outrage of movie goers who haven't read the book if TTT ended the way the book does?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:39 PM   #56
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good point Crickhollow, you should have heard the groans at the end of the first one! I bet you did actually...

Midgardsormen, you're right about the timeline, I didn't think about that. I did think of the length of the book though.

I wonder what a movie of the apendecies would be like? Joking!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #57
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

I agree with a lot of what has already been voiced:

- Gimli / Legolas orc-killing numbers game
- Meeting of Eomer
- Gollum Sam exchange of rabbit stew
- Gollum "sneaking" is a must (a MUST! - so funny... shows sides to him that aren't always readily apparent.)
- Pip stealing the Palantir
- Merry and Pip as the gate keepers at Isengard (hilarious)
- Gollum and the elf rope around his ankle
- The dead marshes

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the Voice of Saruman. Saruman up on his balcony peering out over the Flotsam and Jetsam.

ooor mentioned Wormtongue

Also,.. Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf's exchanges with Hama outside the entrance into the Golden Hall at Edoras where they are asked to lay aside their weapons (perhaps this is where we will learn Legolas' bow "came to me from the Golden Wood and the Lady of Lothlorien gave them to me." ?)

And when will we see the Green Gem that Aragorn carries and what it represents?
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:30 PM   #58
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Good point Crickhollow, you should have heard the groans at the end of the first one! I bet you did actually...

Midgardsormen, you're right about the timeline, I didn't think about that. I did think of the length of the book though.

I wonder what a movie of the apendecies would be like? Joking!
yes, I did. three times in the theatre, and a few with the video as well.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:27 AM   #59
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Midgardsormen's ending sounds plausible: both dramatic and consistent with the time-line.

What I'd be interested to know is how they'll get hold of the Palantir. It's crucial to the plot that Sauron ends up believing that someone (probably Aragorn) has the Ring. Pippin has to get hold of it for us to believe that.

I've heard that Saruman gets impaled on a spiked wheel, or something

Does this mean that they'll trash Orthanc and leave Pippin to have a deck in the Stone while the others are off raiding his stash of Longfarthing Leaf?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:51 PM   #60
azalea
Long lost mooter

Wouldn't it be funny if he did the Entmoot in real time? That would be a llllloooooooooonnnnnnggggggggg movie!

I mentioned in another thread that my favorite part of TTT is when the orcs are traveling w/ Merry and Pippin, then have the big argument and they escape, so I hope they show that. But the only problem is that the orcs voices might be hard for the average viewer to understand, so I doubt they'll be given a lot of dialog.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote