Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2002, 11:40 AM   #41
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Love that part too, Caran!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:24 PM   #42
IARWAIN_BEN-ADAR
Sapling

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy doesn't let up
IARWAIN_BEN-ADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #43
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by IARWAIN_BEN-ADAR
quote: This guy doesn't let up
Yes, but it's all part of the charm of the Ent moot, I_B.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:42 PM   #44
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

Saruman: "You don't care what a beggar lacks, do you? For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes, I know! I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you?"

And again: '"One thief deserves another," said saruman, and turned his back on Merry, and kicked Wormtongue, and went away towards the wood.
Ah, bropous, I meant to respond to these quotes a bit earlier in the thread. But of course you would pick out the pipe weed comments.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:06 AM   #45
Gildor
Hobbit

Quotes I like

How about this one?

Gandalf stirred, and looked up. "What have you to say that you did not say at our last meeting?" he asked. "Or, perhaps, you have things to unsay?"
Old 01-06-2002, 01:14 AM   #46
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

There are so many! I'm limiting myself to three,as I feel lazy right now...

3. (To Frodo) "Just a plain hobbit you look," said Bilbo. "But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!"

2."Mercy!" cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is to be the cureof your inquisiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?" "The names of all the stars, and all the living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven, and of the Sundering Seas," laughed Pippin. "Of course! What else?"

1.Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she faded,and lo! she was shruken; a slender elf-woman clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad. "I pass the test," she said. "I will diminish, and go into the west, and remain Galadriel."
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:59 AM   #47
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Pailan, my friend, are you simply trying to get my Gaul? LOL!

Here' another one of my favorite quotes, this time from the stout and redoubtable Farmer Maggot:

"...You should never have gone mixing up yourself with Hobbiton folk, Mr. Frodo. Folk are queer up there." Sam stirred in his chair, and looked at the farmer with an unfriendly eye.

Ilove the character of Farmer Maggot, wish he had been in the film, and not just his scythe!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:18 PM   #48
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Not only...but also...another favorite quote, this time from Gandalf:

"...So Saruman will come to the last pinch of the vice [sic] that he has put his hand in. He has no captive to send. He has no stone to see with, and cannot answer the summons. Sauron will only believe that he is withholding the captive and refusing the stone. It will not help Saruman to tell the truth to the messenger. For Isengard may be ruined, yet he is still safe in Orthanc. So whether he will or no, he will appear a rebel. Yet he rejected us, so as to avoid that very thing! What he will do in such a plight, I cannot guess. He has power still, I think, while in Orthanc, to resist the Nine Riders. He may try to doi so. He may try to trap the Nazgul, or at least to slay the thing on which it now rides in the air...".
Old 01-06-2002, 08:41 PM   #49
gollum
Sapling

Gollum

Quote:
Quote: "All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time"

HUH????? What the heck does this say?

Is there a web page out there somewhere that can translate this into REAL English? Is this some language of Mordor or something? Methinks this is a shining example of the failure of our [US] public school system...sorry, Gollum, you REALLY need a few classes in spelling and grammar. No offense.

Excuse me thinks as u put it that u shood be quiet and while u r being quiet ead the dictionary for i am an english teacher who has a doctorate in english and wood like u to no the form of shorthand i write in does not have to b used by all but u must understand it, by the way next time u question sum1s authority look up sum of the words in the dictionary that was said b/c u might b able to decode my messages from elvish into ladence terms. thank u and good night
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:43 PM   #50
gollum
Sapling

Gollum

Quote:
Originally posted by IARWAIN_BEN-ADAR
quote:
All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time

This guy doesn't let up

ur right i honesty don't but it is better to b wise and not let up than a fool who is a pacifist. Take into consideration i am not calling u a fool nor a pacifist but i have met ppl in my entmoot travels that r both.
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:24 PM   #51
Lumina
Sapling

Quote:
Excuse me thinks as u put it that u shood be quiet and while u r being quiet ead the dictionary for i am an english teacher who has a doctorate in english and wood like u to no the form of shorthand i write in does not have to b used by all but u must understand it,
Ok, I get it now - you're joking. Very funny gollum, I actually thought you were being serious for a while there.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:32 PM   #52
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

No wonder your signature is "All that is gold does not glitter..."
You're an English professor diguised as a 9 year old .
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.

Last edited by CardenIAntauraNauco : 01-06-2002 at 11:35 PM.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:33 AM   #53
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

QUOTE: "Excuse me thinks as u put it that u shood be quiet and while u r being quiet ead the dictionary for i am an english teacher who has a doctorate in English..."

==============================================

MY RESPONSE WHICH YOU CAN COMPREHEND: golim, i thnk u r dum an nvr red lord uf ring or iny othr buk an yur momi an dadi red it 2 u an u coodn unnerstan it so u cum 2 dis grup 2 thro stonz at peepl hoo cn ackchully thnk n spel.

MY RESPONSE WHICH IS FAR BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION: Gollum, I don't like flame fests, but this is too delicious for words. Do you actually think we would even remotely believe you even passed third grade English, much less earned a "doctorate"? As for your hideous "shorthand", I will reiterate: We ARE discussing the works of an Oxford professor, and for you to attempt to communicate on this subject using that stunted form of Swahili, or whatever it is, is tantamount to an absolute insult to the Master, this group and the literate individuals who make it wonderful.

As for your ignorance-laced, posturing post, let me say this to you: You have no comprehension of sentence structure, punctuation, syntax, word definitions, spelling, logic, how to use a keyboard, what a run-on sentence is, the difference between a word and a number, or how to string words together to make a translatable, complete idea.

NO person with a real doctorate in English would make grammatical howlers like "look up sum of the words in the dictionary that was said " or "Excuse me thinks as u put it..."

Also, since you are apparently writing your OWN dictionary [which I am supposed to "ead"] in this lower form of Orcish, mayhaps you could provide a definition for we more ignorant non-doctorates for the word "ladence".

If you can actually use the English language in its proper form, which I sincerely doubt, then maybe the logic behind the ideas which you espouse in the Entmoot will not be lost in the immediate waves of revulsion which are evoked by the reading of your posts. I know other Entmooters feel as kindly to your insultingly moronic "shorthand" as do I. Good day to you as well.

As for the thread, two more of my favorite quotes, which have even greater poignancy in response to gollum's posts:

"Don't waste your words on the fool, Sam!" said Frodo.

"You are dirty and insolent, Sandyman," said Merry. "And also very much out of your reckoning."
Old 01-07-2002, 01:19 AM   #54
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"...it is better to b wise and not let up than a fool who is a pacifist"

No, gollum, try THIS quote on for size: "Better to keep your mouth shut and have others think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove them correct."
Old 01-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #55
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Pailan, my friend, are you simply trying to get my Gaul? LOL!
Ah, Oui, mon ami. Or should I leave that to Gaulom?

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-07-2002 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:32 PM   #56
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Gimli

Gimli stood out for me when he gave the line

"Let them come, there is still one Dwarf in Moria who draws blood!"
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #57
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Sam Gamgee Err...

I happen to think this is a very sensible and thoroughly enjoyable thread

I like seeing people post up quotes that have formerly slipped my mind. It brings back such memories...

Of course, two faves from Tolkien's work are in my signature. Here's a few others I've grown humble to:

"'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less?'"

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." --Gandalf

"Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end." --Legolas

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." --Gimli

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes." --Frodo Baggins
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:41 PM   #58
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Mais non, Pailan mon ami. Gollum only got my goat!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:04 PM   #59
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I like the sam/gollum 'sneaking' incident.

But my all time favorite from the LOTR has got to be.

'And he sang, now in the sweet elven tongue, now in th espeech of the west. Wounded with sweet words, they passed in thought to regions where joy and sorrow mingle together, and tears are the very wine of blessedness.'

That one is always touching.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:29 PM   #60
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Beautiful quote, Wayfarer.