Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 AM   #41
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

All being said though, Kaka played very well, and his goal was absolutley brilliant.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 AM   #42
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I bet Australia and Croatia will go up to Second Round and Brazil won't. Or rather I hope... we'll see how possible this is tomorrow in the game Croatia-Brazil.

Hiddink seems to be a genious! Australia actually won in the World Cup!! Go Australia!
Go Australia!! We've all gone nuts Down Under now. It sucks that the matches are on so late at night for us - the Japan one was alright because it started at 11, although it'd suck if you feel asleep anytime before the last 8 minutes when the Socceroos scored 3 goals. (It's funny, people often have to do the silent-cheering-enthusiastically thing because the matches are so late.)
The Brazil match, however, starts at 2 am, so I'm hopefully having a sleepover with some mates.

Erm, anyway, I don't think anyone expects Australia to really get that far but we're so darn excited regardless.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #43
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

good on ya Lin!!

heh, Raddy i hear there is controversy about the high fees to watch the world cup over there and this one issue unites the west bank currently!

yeah TD ...that new Arsenal bloke looks the buisiness!

silent cheering!! ..a whole sports mad Nation going nuts ..very very quietly!! *BB is chuckling big time*
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #44
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
good on ya Lin!!

silent cheering!! ..a whole sports mad Nation going nuts ..very very quietly!! *BB is chuckling big time*
Haha I know! That's only for those watching with others sleeping in the house (I've heard people talk about silent cheering on the train too - everyone talks about the World Cup!) Obviously if you hang out at the pub or Federation Square or something, it'd be RAUCOUS and blantantly insane.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #45
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Oh, good luck, Lin and all other Australians!

The France - Switzerland game was so boring.. I'm working at a biological station now, and we have researchers from both France and Switzerland (among others), so we really looked forward to that game. :/

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #46
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
heh, Raddy i hear there is controversy about the high fees to watch the world cup over there and this one issue unites the west bank currently!
Yeah... we can't watch the games... we need to pay 300 shekels (=65 dollars) ... such outrageous fees! But from the quarter final it'll be for free. And some games still are broadcast on... payless channel , like England-Sweden or Argentina-Holland next week. (12 games overall will be free)

Lin - some people do expect Australia to get far *waves hysterically*

ehm.. btw Butterbeer, love your logic. Makes sense, and after seeing Brazil's performance yesterday I can truly say I think a European will take it.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Germany is the first team to qualify to the second round after their 1-0 victory against Poland. The host country always qualifies, so no surprise there. However I thought the Poles were going to save a tie, at least until they got a red card. Nerve-thrilling for the Germans to see Neuville score no later than in the 90th minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Lin - some people do expect Australia to get far *waves hysterically*
My heart goes with the Aussie team too! I really hope they can do well against Brazil on Sunday
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 06-14-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #48
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Oh it would be lush if the Aussies gave Brazil a shock. Kewell looked a bit out of sorts against Japan so I hope he isn't carrying an injury.

Predictions for England v Trinidad & Tobago?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #49
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Radagast The Brown:

Quote:
ehm.. btw Butterbeer, love your logic. ... makes sense ..
now that's not a sentence you hear or read often!!!!

heh!

so... Germany 1- Poland 0

just a tad small amount of history there then ...

Johnathan ...technically Germany are not yet through ... and it's draw not tie!

predictions for England v T&T sauce?

easy...

plenty of beers and a very pissed BB ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-14-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #50
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I also predict the Pope will still be a Catholic and bears will continue to attend to their toilet in arboreal settings.

Have a good one, mate.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #51
Jonathan

Quote:

Johnathan ...technically Germany are not yet through ... and it's draw not tie!
A tie then

Germany has 6 points. They are through
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #52
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Oh it would be lush if the Aussies gave Brazil a shock. Kewell looked a bit out of sorts against Japan so I hope he isn't carrying an injury.

Predictions for England v Trinidad & Tobago?
He had a groin injury last month, and there were concerns about his fitness to play that match.

Anyone watch Spain v Ukraine? I enjoyed it at first, but by the end even Spain didn't really care about the fact the scored the goal - they'd already scored 3 before. 4-0!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #53
BelegS
Enting

The last 20 minutes of the Poland-Germany match were amazing.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #54
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

The Polish keeper was amazing, even with the one goal allowed. The Germans had SO many chances... especially with the 11-10.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #55
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:

just a tad small amount of history there then ...
You beat me to it. I was watching the highlights since I'm at work when all these games are on, and I got quite a chuckle when that thought crossed my mind.

Don't mention the war!

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #56
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

*sips coffee*

mmm ......... puts swearing filter in place .....

....*twiddles thumbs* .../. oh dear .... what to say?

2-0 england ................. worst bleeepin performance i seen in my lifetime!

(beer and atmosphere and people were good tho' .... *shrugs* ...)

well, it can only get better ..... saint Rooney is back and dA eager lennon ..........

peace man!!!

BB

x x x x x
Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #57
Jonathan

Sweden 1 - Paraguay 0 (nice header by Ljungberg!)

So basically Trinidad & Tobago is the only team that can prevent Sweden from advancing from the group. England is already ready for the second round.

Ressembles the last World Cup! The English coach Sven Göran Eriksson must be glad

Last edited by Jonathan : 06-15-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
You beat me to it. I was watching the highlights since I'm at work when all these games are on, and I got quite a chuckle when that thought crossed my mind.

Don't mention the war!
Actually, there were a few Polish fans arrested for carrying weopens, and a number of German and Polish fans were arrested prior to the game for brawling.

Most people went to the match and had a great time (or a less-than-great time for the Polish fans), but many people were not forgetting the historical implications here. I'm sure Germany was trying very hard though.

Poor Ukraine got pounded on 4-0 by Spain. This is the largest scoring margin in the games so far. That is a high-scoring football game generally as well!

How annoyed are you at Trinidad and Tobago Jonathan? They are the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #59
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

How could anyone be annoyed at Trinidad and Tobago? I was actually more impressed with Sweden's performances, against both Paraguay and T&T, than with England's. Hislop hardly made a save against England. I think Sweden could well beat them next week, especially with Owen and Rooney probably being rested.

Now we are getting to the "end-of-group" tactics. The winner of the England/Sweden group plays the runner-up from the Germany/Ecuador group, and vice versa. This means that when England play Sweden next week they will know who they are likely to face in the first knockout round if they win the game. I imagine they will both want to avoid Germany; that could mean that neither of the teams want to win the game.

Another question for you Jonathan: Larsson has been on the pitch from the start, but I think he's looking a bit less sharp these days towards the end. Do you think they should use him as a second half substitute like Barcelona did? He came on the Champions League final with 20 mins to go and made two goals.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #60
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

6-0!!! Great game for Argentina! Really surprising... I, like many others I think, thought higher of Serbia & Montenegro. 6-0... wow. I actually haven't watched the game How was it?

btw., congrats Sweden on first win this Mondial. Now you only need a tie with England.. and by their last games it seems very possible.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote