Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #41
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Most blacks don't speak English as it should be spoken but rather getto talk, gangsta talk or hip-hop talk. Just listen to the accents, etc. and you'll be hard pressed to find any that speak with the eloquence of a Condoleeza Rice or a Colen Powell. Good speach habits are imperative to succeed in business interaction.
It's kids that use slang all the time, not blacks. Go to a white suburban high school and you'll see the same thing, from dress to speech to style. Many kids are like that and most, as long as they have the opportunities, grow out of it when they mature and move into the business world.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #42
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, I agree, but from school to the real world many do not change their speach habits. Indeed if you've not attained them by mid-teens they are extreemly hard to change.
I do agree with your post, brownjenkins.
I also have always found it funny, as does Richard Pryor and others, that white kids wind up immitating blacks. First with Ebonics, then break dancing, then hip-hop & rap and now with the gangsta clothing. RP says he loves to make stuff up just to see how the whites react. Funny but sad and true.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #43
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Most blacks don't speak English as it should be spoken but rather getto talk, gangsta talk or hip-hop talk. Just listen to the accents, etc. and you'll be hard pressed to find any that speak with the eloquence of a Condoleeza Rice or a Colen Powell. Good speach habits are imperative to succeed in business interaction.
Now, when I was in England, it seemed to me that most of the black people there spoke nearly the same as did the white people; maybe it was just my untrained ear.

But it cannot be emphasized enough that this is a cultural issue, and not a racial one.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #44
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Now, when I was in England, it seemed to me that most of the black people there spoke nearly the same as did the white people; maybe it was just my untrained ear.

But it cannot be emphasized enough that this is a cultural issue, and not a racial one.
I notice this too especially when watchin BBC shows. now my cousin is half black and half white and she speaks like most of the white people I know...it might be b/c she is around white people more than black peole, I don't know. She went to a school that had alot of different races in it, but she hangs out with her mom's side the most and they are white.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #45
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
The culture of poverty.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #46
Gwaimir Windgem

Pretty much, yeah.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #47
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I agree, in the UK, their speech pattern is totally different from what they (blacks in general) adopt in the US.

In fact, I'll stick my neck out and say they (not them people ) are a sub-culture of the society. don't have a cow, I'm just showing what I expect of some here.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #48
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

they?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #49
Gwaimir Windgem

Is it they, or we?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #50
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

thems people
Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #51
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

aye'
ye be reet an' all BJ - nowt wrong wi' our english standards!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #52
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Many people from outside the "Standard" dialects speak in ways that are perfectly acceptable within their own communities. The point is that, if you are to succeed in the wider community you have to be able to shift your range.

Note that also "Standards" can change; I've heard that in Britain now to speak "the Queen's English" aka "BBC English" is , at least among younger people, to invite ridcule- "Estuary English" , derived from lower-class speech with strong Cockney elements, is becoming the standard.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #53
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I think people have missed the jist of the points I was trying to bring up here.

The idea of race and the marginalisation of people, wether white Scotts, people of african decent, or the native peoples of south america today, to when the romans invaded england and subjegated them in the past, it has always been about control by dividing and conquering. In Ireland the catholics kill the protestants? - sounds like one of the first examples of what is happening in Iraq with the sunies and the shiates destroying each others mosques causing emnity, or is it US/english agents?

Do you know that crime has gone down 50% nation wide yet the reporting of crime has gone up 80%: mostly black perpitrators of course.

Come on, how gollable are you people, this is a joke.

I have people on this very site keep talking about democrats are trying to make republicans look bad through the media (yet republicans is the only party that was revealed to pay for fake news and fake town hall meetings) yet when I give example of videos with people lieing (like the rumsfeld video) it is not even mentioned again, simply ignored. I think a great many people are in denial, and hiding your head in the sand won't protect you from a tank running over you even if you were a bird.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 08-13-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #54
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMouser
Many people from outside the "Standard" dialects speak in ways that are perfectly acceptable within their own communities.
Right again, GM, and that forments and becomes their 'standard speech' pattern.

Quote:
The point is that, if you are to succeed in the wider community you have to be able to shift your range.
Again, Right you are.

Quote:
I've heard that in Britain now to speak "the Queen's English" aka "BBC English" is , at least among younger people, to invite ridcule- "Estuary English" , derived from lower-class speech with strong Cockney elements, is becoming the standard.
And that shows the decline of society and civilization if one measures by language. Some refer to it as 'the dumbing down of the masses' and I agree with that school of thought.

Thanks for providing a ray of hope; at least one other here gets it.

Last edited by Spock : 08-13-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #55
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion

The idea of race and the marginalisation of people, .......
makes not a wit of sense.

Quote:

Do you know that crime has gone down 50% nation wide yet the reporting of crime has gone up 80%: mostly black perpitrators of course.
Duh? Blacks caught and convicted make up a goodly portion of those statistics and crime has not gone down nation wide by anything approaching 50% according to any Justice Dept. survey, etc. you may want to quote.

Quote:
Come on, how gollable are you people, this is a joke.
Not too many turkeys on this side of the screen.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #56
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Quote:
Blacks caught and convicted make up a goodly portion of those statistics and crime has not gone down nation wide by anything approaching 50% according to any Justice Dept. survey, etc. you may want to quote.
First of all you quote the department statistics. You are the one refuiting what I say, I bet you won't. Who you think you talking to.

Second, those same statistics will show you that all police departments display gross profiling and dicrimination, go ahead quote it. which leads into my third point:

In florida a 12 year old black kid is playing and does a wrestling move on a six year old girl which trajectly kills her, he is sentensed to life in prison. In the same state 2 white kids, one about 15 and the other 17/18 beat their step parents to death with baseball bats. The 15 year old got probation and the 17 year old got 8 years. To commit first degree murder it has to be premeditated, ok, that little boy was only 12. These much older morons premeditatedly killed their parents, in a hurrible fashion, no life; where is the justice and consistency?

I am watching A&E, FBI files covering a monumental case inwhich white highway state police stopping minorities and using underhand tactics to get to search their cars and confiscate any cash found in the cars; any confiscated cash would be claimed by the officer if it is not returned within a given period of time (state law), which 99% of the time is the case since it usually is going to cost you more than the money in question; one man had 9000 taken from him and even though it cost him more to get it back, he, out of principle, did because he did not want the police officer to get his money. The officers were actually trained (no bull) to target black people on video tape, obviously it was a huge lawsuit.

Or even the fact that there are more black people on death row than there are whites for comparable crimes.

Obviously I could go on and on.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #57
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:

Obviously I could go on and on.
It seems you have.
---------------------------------
94.5% of all statistics are made up
---Woody Allen-----
Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #58
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm skeptical of everything.......
Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #59
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I'm skeptical of everything.......
...hmmmm, I don't know if I'm skeptical of that!.......
Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #60
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
First of all you quote the department statistics. You are the one refuiting what I say, I bet you won't.
That is an unclear statement.

AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Closed Thread