Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #41
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
I don't really mind, but it's true it would be more interesting and fun to watch the contest if there were more songs in foreign languages.

Haha, they've translated the song into English, so no Swedish for you if you're going to watch the contest from down under
The problem with translating the song into English is that people will now understand how cheesy it actually is.
You can still find out - if a song is being sung in it's 'native' tongue (ie a Swedish song being sung in Swedish)(wow I explain things so well ) then you can use sub-titles in England to find out what it means in English. Not that I watch the Eurovision.....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #42
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
What do you think about the fact that almost all the songs were in Englsih? I don't like it. I think that the German singer sings in Englsih too (correct me if i'm wrong Lalaith).
Well, the fact that everyone can sing in English doesn't seem to help Finland.. I think it would be better if everyone could sing in their own language. I love the different languages!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:41 AM   #43
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
So how cheesy is it? What do they say...over and over? ?
I heard a bit of the English version in the car this morning- 'You know it hurts, really hurts... That bit was terrible. I was in pain, I tell you. But I think I'm just so used to the Swedish version that of course the English one would sound terrible. But really hurts? But go Sweden anyway!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:07 AM   #44
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
then you can use sub-titles in England to find out what it means in English.
No, they don't use subtitles. That would kind of ruin the performance I think

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
So how cheesy is it? What do they say...over and over? ?
Well the refrain starts with: "Hurts, oh it hurts, really hurts..." and then the word 'hurts' is repeated throughout the whole song
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ow....Ouch, ouch! !
Old 05-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #46
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Ahaha, I'll bet you'd be going for the Austrians regardless of how good they are, just as long as Max doesn't win. This European rivalry thing is amusing to watch. But don't, say, the German-speaking countries vote for each other like the Scandinavian ones, out of loyalty?

- from a TV guide here. But Lai loves such songs, nicht wahr?
Hmmm, could be. But I like the German song. And I have never heard the Austrian song before.
And no, we don't vote for each other out of loyalty. I mean, yeah, they get a lot of points from us, but not too many.

No-oh.

Quote:
What do you think about the fact that almost all the songs were in Englsih? I don't like it. I think that the German singer sings in Englsih too (correct me if i'm wrong Lalaith).
Hmmm, I don't know. I can understand that most of the singers are singing in English because the audience is just used to English songs and they just like it more.
But in some way there is something lost, when all the competitors are singing in English.
Max, the German singer, sings in English. "Just can't wait until tonight ....."
Old 05-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #47
Jonathan

According to this betting website, Greece will win the contest. Ukraine will come second and Sweden (wohoo) will end up third.
Austria (sorry Lai) have the worst odds. They'll finnish last according to the betting company.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:25 AM   #48
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

A magazine I read said the ones who had most chances of winning are Belgium, France, Malta, Sweden, Turkey and Ukraine. Greece was places 7-12 in the Final.
Ukraine's song was good, and so was Malta's... I didn't hear all the others.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #49
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
According to this betting website, Greece will win the contest. Ukraine will come second and Sweden (wohoo) will end up third.
Austria (sorry Lai) have the worst odds. They'll finnish last according to the betting company.
Hmmm, yeah. I can live with that.
I wonder why German TV introduced them as the hardest competition for Germany.

But, now that it has started, what did you think of the performance.

Lin, remember the guy from Austria with the red/black tie who stood in the middle in the end? He's from Vorarlberg. And the guy who has written the song, too. Hehehe.

Actually I liked the song. Quite greasy, though.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #50
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

I feel sorry for those of you who won't be watching the british broadcast. Terry Wogan's commentary is the only good reason for watching Eurovision.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #51
Janny
The Blobbit

OH!! In the entertainment forum! *slaps head* Why didn't I think of that! Man that's embarressing, almost as bad as watching it...

I thought Germany's was the best, followed by Serbia and Austria.

BoP! It's not my fault! I'm not shortsighted, it wasn't in the same forum... that just makes me stoopid. Not my fault if I thought Eurovision was so important it rises above the humdrum of only entertainment. *flicks hair*

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #52
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

AND AFTER THE FIRST VOTE...

SPAIN ARE IN THE LEAD!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #53
Janny
The Blobbit

Come on! After the Austrian votes, I have high hopes for Serbia and Germany... notice I'm supporting music over nationalism...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #54
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Ukraine won it then.....

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #55
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
I thought Germany's was the best, followed by Serbia and Austria.
Oh, somebody who thinks that way.

Actually I never understood why the audience is voting for this or that. Never. But I like the woman from the Ukraine. Hehehe.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #56
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The contest over, Ukraine won and deserved it too IMO. Turkey's and Greece's high points surprised me much. Belgium's low (7) points not at all. Regardless of the reasonable good songs (Xandee did her very best) we'll never get much points unless we have a very special standing-out number like we did last year. Although personally I think we need to add the points of France and the Netherlands to our own since the singer for France is Belgian and so is one of the two singers for the Netherlands.

My personal top 3 were Ukraine, Albania and Cyprus.

One thing the contest is also good for is improving your sense of geography, you nearly know in an instance which countries are neighbours! It seems to be getting worse every year. I loved the comments of the (I think) Latvian presentator. "So many points to our neighbour.... and so many points to... who is also our neighbour." Priceless. Hm, in that case I think we'd need to have a serious word with France, Germany and the UK.

EDIT: And thank you, Norway, for saving us from the last place.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:37 PM   #57
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
BoP! It's not my fault! I'm not shortsighted, it wasn't in the same forum... that just makes me stoopid. Not my fault if I thought Eurovision was so important it rises above the humdrum of only entertainment. *flicks hair*
Shortsighted AND stoopid. Please ensure that you don't breed our species into extinction.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #58
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel

One more for Norway! (live action version of Norway more like snoreway )

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-15-2004 at 11:43 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:00 AM   #59
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
You're welcome. We're just doing as is our habit. I haven't seen any results yet. Did we get any points at all? Not that we deserved any.
Miiiiil etter miiiiiil ....

Last edited by Artanis : 05-16-2004 at 04:02 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:07 AM   #60
Jonathan

Yay, Sweden ended up 5th. That means we qualify directly for the finals next year (which we always do - no petty semi finals for us ).
I'm afraid Norway came last with only three points, all of which apparently came from Sweden . It's funny, at first the Norwegian song applied for a place in the Swedish song contest but the jury rejected it totally. Instead, it competed in the Norwegian song contest and won. But it didn't do too well in Istanbul I'm afraid...

I missed the contest so I'll watch the repeat transmission in 20 minutes. Won't be as fun though since I already know the results but I can still enjoy listening to the songs.