Originally Posted by Linaewen
We just sound like bogans is all.
You said it!!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #42
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
(Though admittedly, you may need subtitles for Kiwi accents, as similar as they are to ours. Fush n chups )
Hah, ours is closer to the english language than yours, of course you lot need a feckin' translator! Feeesh eeeen cheeeeeps.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Hey - I didn't make any political comment - I just stated why America has the extreme differences in accents. It was more a history lesson than a political statement.

Lin has actually made comments about one section of Australia versus another.
Oh never mind then!

Laugh at the joke people, laugh! Laaaaugh!!!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 AM   #44
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Lin has actually made comments about one section of Australia versus another.
Have I?

Is your accent really closer to theirs than ours BoP? But ...you just pronounce some words illogically. We do NOT need a translator. It is not our fault, it's everyone else's!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:34 AM   #45
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Have I?
Yes - when I mentioned about my cousins sounding like they say "Ma bomb" - instead of mobile and then you said it on mic and said that it had to do with them being from the north.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-11-2004, 03:13 AM   #46
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Oh yeah, they're a bit funny up north in Queensland...and they're a bit funny south in Tassie as well, and west in WA too. Heck, they're odd anywhere but here.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 AM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

If Lin thinks her Australian cousins are funny, imagine how odd her American cousins must sound to her
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:56 AM   #48
Durin1
Elven Warrior

You think American regional accents are peculiar (to non-Americans)? Have you heard "Geordie", spoken by people of the North-East of England, particularly Newcastle. Or what about "Brummie" (close to my heart) for people from the West Midlands and Birmingham? Or the South-West (Somerset) accents. All very peculiar in their own ways.

As to the "joke" side of things: it is just meant to be funny and no harm or insult is intended. Indeed, i'm sure that there are many British peculiarities that could be made fun of.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:06 AM   #49
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, we should write phonetically in our native accents.

Then we'd huv a properr Babel righ' heere in oor ain we core-nur ay the ne'.

Durin - have you seen the Scottish Parliament web site? It's got a version in Scots, which is a pile o pish if you ask me. Naeb'dy speaks li'tha' where ah come fae.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 11-11-2004 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #50
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
You think American regional accents are peculiar (to non-Americans)? Have you heard "Geordie", spoken by people of the North-East of England, particularly Newcastle. Or what about "Brummie" (close to my heart) for people from the West Midlands and Birmingham? Or the South-West (Somerset) accents. All very peculiar in their own ways.

As to the "joke" side of things: it is just meant to be funny and no harm or insult is intended. Indeed, i'm sure that there are many British peculiarities that could be made fun of.
South west accent is not peculiar!!

how dare you sully my good cyder drinking reputation
ooh arrh and the such like
oi got a brand new combine harvester, and i'll give you ther key
Old 11-11-2004, 06:54 AM   #51
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

As if I could possibly leave this alone.....

That joke was bloody hilarious. You all remember, the joke that started this thread in the first place. Anyway...

Righto, deep breath, and:

You can't call it "british" English, as a language, its just English. A quarter of the world speaks English. Not American, Canadian, Australian or Irish. Its English kids, lets not be silly.

Australia was initially founded as a British colony, but so was America. Only about half of Australians have desent of Anglo natures. Many are Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Italian, Greek, Vietnamese...ect. This doesn't change the fact that A bloke in Perth will have exactly the same accent as a bloke from Melbourne. I have always found it quite amusing the differing accents and massed divisions in the US, making one wonder how "united" they are...
Stop that! Bad Fenir! Bad!

Oh, and its good to see that our American "friends" (chortle), have not taken offence to the harmless joke that began this thread. (you can read that as serious or sarcasm, either works, baby! )

Shall we?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:14 AM   #52
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant

I won't even go there with my "dopey" Brummie accent!! (not that I think it's dopey!

And hey, I said it was peculiar (to non-Brits), not that they are horrible. I've been down to Bristol loads of times (I have family and friends there) and find it quite nice.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:24 AM   #53
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
As if I could possibly leave this alone.....
That joke was bloody hilarious. You all remember, the joke that started this thread in the first place. Anyway...
We have seemed to get a bit side-tracked.

BTW, British English is the correct English

Maybe Americans should adopt the British "reserve"? All that gung-ho mentality;maybe then they would think before they did stuff

Although I'd have to disagree with adopting the British Anthem. It's probably the most boring, ridilculous and out of touch anthem in the world, with its old, imperilaist connotations. Why should "God save the Queen" surely it should mean "God save the people of Great Britain?

Old 11-11-2004, 08:00 AM   #54
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
If Lin thinks her Australian cousins are funny, imagine how odd her American cousins must sound to her
I was just kidding. The differences between accents are, I think, mostly urban versus country. And they're not that noticeable either. And we're used to that drawl of the Americans by now.

Sun-star, um, I can't find the definition for "bogan" anywhere. Jon, is it in that dictionary I gave you? I would say it's like an uncouth person, but that's not quite right either.

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-11-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:20 AM   #55
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant

Well, I found out yesterday that if it hadn't been for the Norman Conquest the south-west would have been the capital of England, and the south-west dialect would have become the 'correct' form of Standard English. Your accent would be the one everyone thinks is posh instead of the BBC one...

So feel proud of the south-west
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #56
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Yes, we should write phonetically in our native accents.

Then we'd huv a properr Babel righ' heere in oor ain we core-nur ay the ne'.

Durin - have you seen the Scottish Parliament web site? It's got a version in Scots, which is a pile o pish if you ask me. Naeb'dy speaks li'tha' where ah come fae.
Scots is its own language, which has its origin in Middle-english. Robert Burns (one of my favourite poets) writes in Scots. (O wad some pow'r, the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us...)

Oh yeah... the joke... it's really funny!

Making fun of American beer is one of the favourite past-times of Canadians. We feel badly for our neighbours, that they have to drink such swill. That's why I'm always giving JD a nice Granville Island Lager.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #57
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well not like canadian beer is vastly better though. It follows the same idea of the piss swill like budweiser and coors and what not. the most popular brands in canada are Molsen and Moosehead and Labbatts. Now maybe they taste different over there but to me they taste like very weak lagars just like the budweisers and millers and bushes and such. That being said BOTH countries have excellent microbrew traditions and you can get an excellent pint of beer on either side of the border if you know where to look. But the beer companies on either side of the border that do most of the business are sad excuses for beer.

Canadian Beer Index

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #58
inked
Elf Lord

Well, chappies and chappettes, if you really want properly spoken King's English, as it was before the current British pronunciations, come to Charleston, SC, and various regions of Virginia where it is still spoken. And I might add, the verb to eat is still properly declined as eat, ate, et.

Of course this all goes to British error, doesn't it? Letting on that people who all spelt the same word actually said it in the same manner! Coo!...
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #59
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
well not like canadian beer is vastly better though. It follows the same idea of the piss swill like budweiser and coors and what not. the most popular brands in canada are Molsen and Moosehead and Labbatts. Now maybe they taste different over there but to me they taste like very weak lagars just like the budweisers and millers and bushes and such. That being said BOTH countries have excellent microbrew traditions and you can get an excellent pint of beer on either side of the border if you know where to look. But the beer companies on either side of the border that do most of the business are sad excuses for beer.

Canadian Beer Index
I've been to America, and, quite frankly, my hair was not blown back by the place or the beer there. Millers and Bud are useless. ESPECIALLY BUD. I have had Molsen, and was happy with it, but I'm much more impressed with Canadian whiskey. Its tops, and given that I come from one of the places that invented whiskey, I was really impressed by it. Those blokes north of the border can sure distill a good drop.

Yank beer, however, is not nearly up to scratch. Kids. For a start, the millage (oh, thats right, your all still imperial; the ounces), is much less than standard beers, and far and away the alcohol content is far less than other places. How can one argue that their beer is worth considering, when their actual amount and grog levels are not even a flash in the pan? One tends to wonder....

European beer is easily better than our "counterparts" (snigger) across the pond. German and Dutch Beer is exceptional.
Australian beer, sweet sweet beer, has a high Alcohol level, and a high milage level. Its quite good, and not for the half arsed. It's far above the New world brews.

But of course, this whole thread is about the superiority of Eurpoe over the US, and all....
Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
But of course, this whole thread is about the superiority of Eurpoe over the US, and all....
No it isn't. It is about an amusing article meant in jest, about England taking back US independence.

Fenir, I will trust your knowledge on beer and alcohol 100%. Afterall, you are an authority, you're Irish.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread