Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #41
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Comic Book Guy - I thought you left!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #42
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I wonder if folks from other countries experience these class issues in how they talk, or is it just us British who have it written through their society like a piece of rock?
I don't really think that class has much to do with your accent over here. It's mainly a regional thing. Northerners tend to speak more quickly, while we Southerners take our time. We're like Ents, we don't really say anything unless it's worth saying. (Ok, so that's a bit of an exaggeration) One accent that I think is funny is the "Beantown" or Boston accent. "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd." (Park the car in Harvard Yard) I think that Californians get stereotyped as saying "Dude!" every other word. What's weird is that if you go far enough south into Florida, they begin to sound like Northerners.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 AM   #43
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I'm Canadian, from British Columbia specifically, and no one I have ever know says "eh?" regularily; I think that is the most rediculous Canadian stereotype ever! Well, I know that people tend to say it a bit more in the eastern provinces, but definitely not here in BC. I don't have any idea how to describe how I talk, or what my accent is though. But I do agree with what some people have said about Canadians "closing their vowels", like 'aboat' instead of 'abowt'. When I read that the first time, I said 'about' to myself and laughed...whoever said that was so right! (hehe) Cool accents? I have a few South African friends who have recently moved here and I love their accents! I also really like Parisian French accents (not Québecois!) and Scottish.
hmmm, maybe me being on a university campus has something to do with it--more people from far away. Although, I know a girl from Northern BC, and another from the Okanogen who say it often. But you're right, I should have pointed out that it isn't as trademark as people believe.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #44
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I guess I have an israelien accent.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:02 AM   #45
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Who has a microphone?

Actually, who has a microphone and is willing to give us an aural example of his/her accent?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:17 AM   #46
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
What's weird is that if you go far enough south into Florida, they begin to sound like Northerners.
LOL, Yes, I suppose that's cause most of them are northerners who OD'd from too many blizzards and moved as far south as they could get.

Though I've lived in Indiana for several decades, I speak like a northener, quickly, with no discernable accent. Real "Hoosiers" (people from Indiana) say funny things like "warsh" the clothes, and "Wrinch" the water out of them. Also, I've noticed the use of the word "ideals" instead of idea. I'm sure there are more, but I've managed to succesfully block them out! (yea!) The funniest accent I've heard (IMO) has come from two different people, both North Carolina natives. I can't even begin to describe it, sounds like they have a mouthful of sticky pralines!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #47
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

That's okay, I'll just buy one.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #48
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I guess you mean a microphone for the computer? I (sadly) know next to nothing about such gizmos. I bow to your superior knowledge!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #49
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Lizra:
I guess you mean a microphone for the computer?
Any microphone, as long as it has a 3.5mm stereo connector (i.e. the connector at the end of computer speakers or head/earphones), will work by connecting it to the "mic in" jack on your sound card.
Quote:
More:
I (sadly) know next to nothing about such gizmos.
I assure you, PC microphones are not gremlins...
Quote:
More:
I bow to your superior knowledge!
Excellent! While you're down there....
Old 01-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #50
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

...could you tie my shoe laces?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:54 PM   #51
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Ooh, that would be very cool if people had microphones and we could hear them speak!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:02 PM   #52
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Normally you can only hear my accent a little bit, but when I am talking fast, say certain words or in a heated debate or something then it really comes out, lol. I grew up in NY, so I have the NY accent going
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:40 PM   #53
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
It would be really cool if someone had a microphone. There was one on my other computer but it broke so that doesn't matter.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:25 PM   #54
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

once i was watching an interview on JRR Tolkien and when he was speaking i could only understand about every third word he said because his accent was so heavy (no offence ment to any one with the same accent). my accent would be canadian.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #55
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I have a very Southern accent. I wouldn't define myself as a hick, I just sound like one .

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #56
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

i've never really noticed my accent but when i go north i can notice theirs so then i know i have a southern one. i wouldn't define myself as a hick either but maybe a hillbilly
Old 01-12-2003, 12:33 AM   #57
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Real "Hoosiers" (people from Indiana) say funny things like "warsh" the clothes, and "Wrinch" the water out of them.
Then real Hoosiers would feel right at home around here, especially around the older generation of folks. I've noticed that some older people tend to put an 'r' in Washington, making it "Warshington." Same thing with 'wash' and 'warsh'. And personally, I don't 'wrinch' the water out, I 'wranch' it. It's more of an 'a' sound in the middle of that word. Again, that's a term that I generally only hear with older people.

How about the use of "fixin' to" instead of "about to"? "I'm fixin' to go watch TV" as opposed to "I'm about to go watch TV". Anyone else use that one?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #58
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

hahah "im fixin" makes you sound like one of those californian gold diggers from back in the day!

oh, an no offense to any Canadians
"talking funny" or "______ (-ing, - ed) Funny" is anything international around here. haha some kids hate it when i go to canada, cause i slip into that accent for weeks.
haha i like it though. i wish i was canadian, or irish, or scottish, or british, or hungarian, or lebanese, or japanese, or mongolian, or.......... anyone getting a picture?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:43 AM   #59
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I HATE it when the girls here (Iowa) put 'r's in the word "wash" because they think it sounds cute. It's annoying if that's not how you were raised to say it!

I am a sucker for guys with accents. I love a soft British accent. Gorgeous.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:47 AM   #60
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
How about the use of "fixin' to" instead of "about to"? "I'm fixin' to go watch TV" as opposed to "I'm about to go watch TV". Anyone else use that one?
My aunt from Georgia uses that one all the time! (she's in her 70's).

How about "make a picture", Khamûl? Do you get that one in Alabama? example - "Come over hya, y'all, so I can make a picture of you with your granddaddy!" I think that's also an older person's expression, back in the days when pictures took a little longer to 'make' (my aunt has some really cool old tin-type pictures).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote