Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2001, 08:36 PM   #41
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I dont know if they work but Comic I suggest that in the future you look at the label.
You know whats funny Galadriel, ghosts dont scare me and neither do spirits, I dont know if it's foolish or brave or if it's the fact I beleive they cant hurt me, they dont scare me. Are you a Christian Galadriel?If so we're on the same boat.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:56 AM   #42
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I did read the label, but it was too cryptic to understand.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:27 AM   #43
Darkside Spirit
Hobbit

Aliens?

I really have no idea. It can be said that it's impossible for us to be the only life in the universe, but remember that on Earth the conditions are just right. If the purpose of the universe is to create life, then it might be fulfilled on Earth and nowhere else. Even if bacteria are in existence on other planets, I doubt that the conditions would be just right as they are on Earth for it to develop into animal life.

Ghosts?

No, I don't believe in spirits and people awoken from the dead, etc etc. I am atheistic, as some of you will know from the religion thread, so I don't believe in any form of afterlife or continued existence following death. What I do believe is that there must be something that causes ghostly visions because there have been too many to dismiss. There's a shop somewhere (allegedly) haunted by the beheaded Duke of Buckingham, and people have been seeing him for centuries. There, it might be something to do with the way the light falls on that building, or some strange effect the patterns of the building have on the human mind. Or it might be some enormous hoax, passed down from father to son.

As far as haunted houses go, I think that ties in with my comments about ghosts.

I don't believe in witchcraft, no. It's surprising the number of people who do, though. "We must ban Harry Potter because it gives people access to dangerous power sources" etc etc etc.
Darkside Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:20 AM   #44
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

harry potter got banned in a few places out in the midwest too, to my knowledge anyway. harry potter is not an acurate source of witch craft though. It's really very sad, i hate it when people shoot books down with out having read them.

As for Galadriel's remark on foolishness. Over commercialization and popularization of what toy companies call "magic" have kind of destroyed the true meaning of such. So you will get fools who haven't any idea of what they get into, and if it doesn't work exactly as planned which further destroys the idea of magic existing.

This is exactly the reason that we need more fantasy!!! YOu don't have to be down to earth ALL the time right? A little elvish lore never hurt anyone. Or wizards in training.

Oh well, i'm just rambling now ^^; thanks to anyone who actually read through all of that!
Old 11-08-2001, 01:11 AM   #45
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Has anyone here had a supernatural experience, ie ghost sightings, "lost time", precognition/foresight, etc.?

One day, my sister in London blacked out mysteriously in the lecture theatre. It happened that my Mom was being anaesthetized to remove a gallstone at the same time. My sister was on the other side of the world (she's in London, my Mom in SE Asia) and Mom didn't want to worry her, so my sister had no idea.

Anyways, the next day my sister called home demanding to know what had happened to our Mom, and so the whole minor surgery story came out. Psychic connection?
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 03:39 AM   #46
ryan
t2t relic

Aliens Exsist! Tater is proof!
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 06:18 PM   #47
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Psychic Connection!

it's possible. One of my best friend's was in college (i'm in Highschool now, this was a few years ago) and she started having major boughts with depression,and then so did i. We made attempts on our lives at the same time. And she lived in PA....NOt quite like your story, but well, ermm ^^;;

(i'm better now by the way)

And also, the third person in out group, her stuff was taken away from her by her parents (super duper religious fanatics. christians even) All her posters were taken down, her books, tapes, CDs, everthing. She's 21 and rents her room now, too. Needless tosay, me and the other friend knew it right away,and she lives in MD!!!!wierd,ne?
Old 11-12-2001, 12:56 AM   #48
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I have that kind of connection with my boyfriend, who is one of my 2 best friends. I had that kind of connection with my other best friend, too. Just them though, no one else. I think that kind of think only works with people who are really close.

As for the ghost thing, I stopped believing in ghosts around the same time I stopped believing in God.

Aliens though, its illogical to assume we're the only living sentient beings in the entire universe. Illogical, and a bit self-centered(of the human race collectively, not any specific person here).

I do take great stock in dreams, though. I've had dreams that warned of bad stuff and foretold good stuff...Like when I found out my current boyfriend liked me. It went on IRL just like it did in the dream...which was really nice =)

Last edited by fireworks19 : 11-12-2001 at 01:13 AM.
fireworks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:01 PM   #49
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
It's really very sad, i hate it when people shoot books down with out having read them.
I completely agree. The magic in Harry Potter is inspired by a conglomerate of ideas drawn from the religions of pre-Christian Europe, alchemy, old fables, and various other sources that the world has convienently labled as "witchcraft". Although I'm not sure if Wiccan-like religions are good/bad/whatever, most of the people who practice them have are good, decent people. They do not worship Satan, burn bibles, or sacrifice babies. Moreover, Harry Potter is not a manual on practicing witchcraft, it is a great book with lots of Christian-friendly morals. People who try to censor it are not only wrong, but ridiculous in even trying. Sometimes I suspect that if JK Rowling simply removed the word "witchcraft" from her books, many people would be happy. Probably not, though; many people are stubborn when it comes to faith, and would object to the most casual mentioning of a black pointed hat or a flying broomstick.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:20 PM   #50
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
bump
Old 02-19-2002, 08:05 AM   #51
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
bump
Huh???

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:55 PM   #52
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

This is a nice, calm lil' thread dicussing religion That's always a good thing.

I believe in alien life, and someone's already answered why for me. I'm not sure about ghosts - I don't think I ever will be either. Witches? Born out of imagination and fear - nothing more.

I wouldn't consider myself an atheist (but everyone else does) because I think atheist means you believe in nothing, and I believe in two very important things: love, and most importantly, myself. Whenever someone asks me what my religion is, I just reply, "My religion is love." -- it's the only thing that's really keeping us together. Every other religion just seems to separate us or tear us apart.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:59 PM   #53
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I believe the politically correct term would be secular humanist, Rogue Elf? I try to look at myself as a Christian humanist (humanism, to me, means trying to live your life to it's full potential)

Ghosts or spirits or whatever you want to call them, yeah, I believe in them. I believe they can be malevolent or benevolent...well, actually, since I believe in angels, those would be my 'good' ghosts, as well as demons being the 'bad' ones.

Other life, intelligent or not, in teh universe? Well, if there isn't
Quote:
it seems like a big waste of space
Old 02-21-2002, 01:17 AM   #54
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

hi.

can I sneak in? I want to contribute (not impose) my views as an open-minded catholic and a conservative scientist. There are many things taught in my religion that I do not take literally but do so with a grain of salt.

On ideas/beliefs that may differ from mine, I don't readily believe, of course, but neither do I dismiss. I'm open to them.

On aliens (from outside Eart), I would like to say that I cannot give a definite yes or no; but I believe it is more difficult to prove their non-existence. Regarding the lot of wasted space argument (From Carl Sagan, perhaps?), I would like to add that there are just too many worlds to have non of them with a similar environment as ours. Again that's just me, an alien from another country.

I'm currently reading this book by Enoch (from the dead sea scrolls, me thinks) which has lots of references to the battles of angels and possibly the real reason why the great flood occured. There are many websites publishing this.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:32 AM   #55
Nibs
Head Hollara

Well, I just have to wonder what difference it makes to us if there is foreign life out there. Will they be hostile (independence day)? Or will they yearn to enlighten us for our betterment (close encounters of the third kind)?

Until substantial evidence is produced, we will only have our own conjectures and experiences to lean on, so it's a matter of opinion, just like nearly everything argued on this board.

[looooooong sigh]

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:56 AM   #56
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yeah you're right. But I also find other opinions interesting and wouldn't mind knowing them whether or not the existence of alien life proves true.

BTW, there are other reasons I like going to message boards such as this:
1. It develops conversation skills
2. It develops diplomacy skills
3. It develops reasoning skills for many
4. It develops a sense of humor
5. It exposes one to different types and levels of culture
6. It is fun
7. Probably something I might think up later on.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote