Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #41
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

I don't get into the whole world of anime, I watch the cartoons on my off days with the volume off and end up duplicated the characters. Japanese artists are very imaginitive, and I love they way they fuse in certain poses, and the costumes are always very tangible. I have been an aspiring cartoonist for a very long time, and have recently taken anime as like my main form. Very epic. But I do like Jingo Araki, and Michi Himeno, specifically. The eyes, it's all about them.

Last edited by wahine : 01-10-2003 at 01:02 AM.
wahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #42
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I just got through the himiko-den series. It sweet, but the plot mainly consists of the main character getting kidnapped a lot, her boyfriend running around in circles looking for her, and everyone else wishing they could ignore them because they've got more important things to do ( a war) but having to help cux they're the secret weapons.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:11 PM   #43
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

I don't think the batman series really counts as anime'
Old 01-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #44
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Miyazaki is the best! The first of his films I had seen was Princess Mononoke. It was very creative and the quality of the animation was spectacular (not that the rest of his films are any less). The next one I saw was My Neighbor Totoro in my Japanese class. The cat-bus was my favorite character. Then I saw Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away. As soon as that comes out on video, I am going to buy it!
Other than movies, I like Zoids (all series), Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, G Gundam, and Gundam Wing.
Some people might say I'm sort of obssesed with Zoids. At one point I wanted to learn how to make robots and all so that eventually I would have gained enough knowledge to build a full scale Zoid that you could pilot it. But that recurrent daydream faded as I realized that no government would allow that (unless it would come with nuclear weapons that had the potential to blow their enemies to smithereens). Now, I've gone to collecting the model kits. Currently, I have 10. I haven't stopped thinking about a Zoids arcade/simulation game, though.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:18 AM   #45
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

EG: Did you see Bloodlust? I didn't really think that the original was all that great, but Bloodlust was great IMHO! Cool hero, great story, powerful elements, and vampires and vampire hunters!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #46
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Brokehorn4000
Miyazaki is the best! The first of his films I had seen was Princess Mononoke. It was very creative and the quality of the animation was spectacular (not that the rest of his films are any less). The next one I saw was My Neighbor Totoro in my Japanese class. The cat-bus was my favorite character. Then I saw Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away. As soon as that comes out on video, I am going to buy it!
Other than movies, I like Zoids (all series), Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, G Gundam, and Gundam Wing.
Some people might say I'm sort of obssesed with Zoids. At one point I wanted to learn how to make robots and all so that eventually I would have gained enough knowledge to build a full scale Zoid that you could pilot it. But that recurrent daydream faded as I realized that no government would allow that (unless it would come with nuclear weapons that had the potential to blow their enemies to smithereens). Now, I've gone to collecting the model kits. Currently, I have 10. I haven't stopped thinking about a Zoids arcade/simulation game, though.
That's actually a very good idea. I don't think it would be any fun, yet because what would be the point of a zoid that wasn't an AI? Princess Mononoke is one of my favs, but spirited away definately tops that. Why hasn't anyone not in my schools anime club heard of fruits basket?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 01-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #47
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I like Yu-Gi-Oh and Hamtaro. And I used to LOVE Vision of Esca Flowne, until those dopes at YTV took it off and replaced it with Pokemon and Digimon (which were two animes that I used to like, long ago, but now I know better )
Old 01-22-2003, 09:21 PM   #48
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Baggins

Does Hamtaro count as Anime?
If so it is the best right under SM [/B]
I like Hamtaro!!!!! They are so cute!!!!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:11 PM   #49
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Yay! I finally finished all of the fruits basket series! It was so sweet, and depressing, very depressing...but not? How does that work?!

Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #50
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ërendil
Until VERY recently I haven't been interested in Anime, but I have really got into Escaflowne. I love the music.
I haven't watched a lot of anime either, and still don't like most of the shows - although some of the art is gorgeous - but Escaflowne is one of the few that I could watch without getting terribly bored. I think the action scenes bother me the most - the bad guys are usually mindlessly evil and it's hard to buy into or care about the fighting. Escaflowne had its share of these, but otherwise, the characters were pretty cool, and the fantasy setting was fun. And besides, there's something oddly fun about watching hours of episodes all in Japanese.... Not something that I could ever obsess over, but there are worse hobbies out there.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:07 AM   #51
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

I think good anime is anime in Japennese wth english subtitles
Old 02-23-2003, 12:47 AM   #52
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

I stand by what I say: Cowboy Bebop is the best anime I have ever seen. Such great religious, technological, scientific, and sexual undertones. It really made me question my beliefs on life. Plus, the animation and music is great.

-Celebriel
Celebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:32 AM   #53
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion
I think good anime is anime in Japennese wth english subtitles
I definitely know what you mean. I saw (most of) the Escaflowne series in Japanese with English subtitles; then I saw the Escaflowne movie in English, and it just seemed...I don't know...worse than in Japanese with subtitles, to me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:51 AM   #54
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree with that, if you're gonna change the language of a movie from the original, keep the real actors expression and subtitle it. But at least Jackie Chan can dub his own lines!

My favourite anime are Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Vision of Escaflowne, Slayers, Good Housekeeping (manga drawn by Akira Toriyama) and Vampire Princess Miyu!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:37 PM   #55
katya
Elven Maiden

I haven't really seen much since I am just getting into it but nowadays I watch Zoids, G gundam, Dragonball and Dragonballz, and....that's it...except I guess Hamtaro but I only watch that if I'm pretty bored. I like the way anime looks. I wish I was a better artist.

[edit] and also yu yu hakusho. that just came on toonami so i just started watching it. i thought it was worth mentioning but not worth a whole new post.

Last edited by katya : 03-10-2003 at 07:48 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #56
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

G Gundam is not that great compared to other anime, but since it is Gundam its o.k. in my book.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:18 AM   #57
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
That's actually a very good idea. I don't think it would be any fun, yet because what would be the point of a zoid that wasn't an AI? Princess Mononoke is one of my favs, but spirited away definately tops that. Why hasn't anyone not in my schools anime club heard of fruits basket?
Well if I ever get advanced enough in engineering and programming in the future, maybe I could develop an AI system (organoid). That would be great! But for now, I'm only trying to do my best in school. Perhaps my interest in computers will produce positive results towards my dreams! Strategy! Oh, how I love strategy! That's what Zoids is for me .
Old 03-03-2003, 01:04 AM   #58
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

THat is sort of how I would like to design my own Gundam if I had the proper schooling on the neccessary subjects.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #59
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
I haven't watched a lot of anime either, and still don't like most of the shows - although some of the art is gorgeous - but Escaflowne is one of the few that I could watch without getting terribly bored. I think the action scenes bother me the most - the bad guys are usually mindlessly evil and it's hard to buy into or care about the fighting. Escaflowne had its share of these, but otherwise, the characters were pretty cool, and the fantasy setting was fun. And besides, there's something oddly fun about watching hours of episodes all in Japanese.... Not something that I could ever obsess over, but there are worse hobbies out there.
Lots of the time the are like that, but thats why Princess Monokee and Fruits Basket are two of my favs, everyones views make so much sense that you can't be sure if there is a bad guy

Old 03-11-2003, 03:04 PM   #60
Saru_da_man
Sapling

best anime

My all time favorite anime is Escaflowne, both the movie and the series. I absolutely LOVE the characters and the story, though I'm a bit disappointed at the ending.

My second favorite will have to be Princess mononoke or Spirited away.

Last edited by Saru_da_man : 03-11-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Saru_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote