Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #41
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I believe that scientists are doing research on some kind of molecules. If you split the molecule into two parts, they will rotate differently. If one part rotates to clockwize, the other one MUST rotate counterclockwize.
Some scientists think that if you split this molecule and don't check their rotation, both of the two parts are in a condition where they rotate in both directions AT THE SAME TIME. Not until you check the rotation of one of them, the other one starts rotating in the opposite direction.
The scientist say that if this is true, they want to study how on earth the two particles can know how the other one rotates.

Complicated atomic physics, do not try this at home
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:34 PM   #42
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I'm not even gonna try getting that.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #43
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Jonathan, because it isn't two particles but one wave.

Schrodinger's cat points out the limits of language.

Time travel is not possible, therefore #1 can't happen so # 2 and #3 won't either. Because there is no such thing as time. There is no inch, and there is no meter, and there is no point, and there is no ounce. These are the extremely useful fabrications we live our lives by every day, but most people can't seem to be objective and believe that they are using made up things, so it's easy to twist their minds. There is no matter. Our pressure sensitive nerves give us a picture of matter, but it is forces keeping other forces away. You can't touch anything. You can only feel repelling force.

The point with the flipcard is not a paradox, its an antinomy. I can also say hot is cold but nobody will believe me unless they are running their fingers under a fawcet after sledding.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #44
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
the wave/particle duality of light.
Erm... No it's not. Wave particle duality of light is the observation that sometimes light acts like a wave, sometimes like a stream of particles, but never both. What you're referring to is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states
Quote:
The more precisely the position is determined,the less precisely the momentum is known.
Something that bears more consideration though: does the fact that you can't observe something mean that it isn't true?

Schrodinger's cat, for example. The observer doesn't know that the cat is alive or dead, but presumably the cat does. How does it follow that because something has not yet been observed, that it has not happened?
Old 01-22-2003, 12:11 PM   #45
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

WAIT! I THINK I GET THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok lets see if i can process this again (this may not make much sense) well, the man goes back in time and kills his grandmother. so the man that killed his grandmother no longer exists and so that man just turns into someone that has no relation to her..........i think.......

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #46
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I believe that scientists are doing research on some kind of molecules. If you split the molecule into two parts, they will rotate differently. If one part rotates to clockwize, the other one MUST rotate counterclockwize.
( me again) *stares blankly and starts drolling*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-22-2003, 02:37 PM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Erm... No it's not. Wave particle duality of light is the observation that sometimes light acts like a wave, sometimes like a stream of particles, but never both.
Geez. Forgive me for the poor wording. But yes, that was what I was trying to say.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #48
unregistered
Enting

OK I didn't read the whole thread, so I dunno if it was solved or not but ne ways

Ok now lets look at the movie "back to the future"
So Marty accidentally screwed up his parents meeting and falling in love in 1955. He had a picture of his siblings and as time wore on the siblings started to slowly dissapear in the picture as there became less and less chance of the parents meeting. So after much work he gets his parents to go to this dance together. His parents are dancing and everything looks like it is going to be happy. We remember early in the movie in 1985 the mother said "I remember at the dance when I kissed your father I then knew we would spend the rest of our lives together", so we await this kiss at the dance. Suddenly some dude pushes Marty's father away during the dance and starts dancing with his mother. Marty looks at the picture and he sees his brother and sister are both gone and his hand was dissapearing. So his hand starts dissapearing and he is not able to play guitar (he is playing on stage during the dance). Suddenly his father pushes this dude away and grabs his mom and dances with her which is followed by a kiss and we all know everything will work out (happy day)

Juts like Marty began to dissapear slowly as there was less and less chance of his mother and father marrying the same thing applys for this dude killing his Grandma, when he kill his Grandma, he would immediatly dissapear and no longer exist (same with all his family).

Did I make sense... I dunno, I'm going to go take a nap now...

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins

Last edited by unregistered : 01-22-2003 at 03:41 PM.
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:27 PM   #49
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I want a double jointed brain. But I don't think my brain's big enough to be double jointed...
Old 01-22-2003, 04:34 PM   #50
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Something that bears more consideration though: does the fact that you can't observe something mean that it isn't true?
True is a word invented by humans, so I would say that the condition of trueness requires a human perception, unless of course you think God knows everything. But if God knows everything then God knows that humans invented trueness to make life simple.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #51
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
[edit]Why did I post this 3 times?
Too... difficult... must not... arrrgghh.......answer....

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #52
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Hey, I've got an idea for the Schroedinger (however you're meant to spell that)'s cat - what if it was a person inside? Cool, you could be dead and alive at the same time... not that I'm volunteering for the experiment, but it's an interesting idea.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #53
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
True is a word invented by humans, so I would say that the condition of trueness requires a human perception
There's a word in my vocabulary that I save for special occasions like this. I believe it was 'Daft'. As in, "You're absolutely daft."

There is such a thing as an objective truth. Some things, in fact, most things, are true whether or not there are people around to see it.

The greeks believed that the earth was flat and the center of the universe. Did the earth suddenly round out and jump out into a spiral arm of the milky way when that idea changed? Of course not, the earth will continue moving the same course it always has.

In 1860, the earth was 'known' to be less than 100 million years old
In 1920, it was 'known' to be 500 million
In 1960, it was 2 billion
In 1980, it was 4.6 billion
Does the age of the earth change to fit what is 'known' by humans? Of course not. It ages at the same rate it always has, no matter what age people decide it is.

There are objective facts, even when humans don't know what they are, or have them wrong. This is the truth. And even though subjective opinions may distort the way people see it, it's not going to change.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:11 PM   #54
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Do you mean truth is relative to the [current] facts?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:13 PM   #55
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.

That includes the facts about what has happened in the past, and maybe will happen in the future.

If one were able to compile a complete list of the objective facts from the beginning of the universe to it's end, you would have absolute knowledge of this universe.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-29-2003 at 09:15 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:14 PM   #56
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

*nods head*
Yup.....but it all boils down to the same difference.

Truth is based upon what we can/do percieve.......but as we realise more base facts the truth must be altered.

Edit: Because our favourite insufferable Wanderer thinks too much

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 01-29-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:16 PM   #57
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I just edited that post. I'm afraid I can't leave anything simple.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #58
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Quote:
WAIT! I THINK I GET THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok lets see if i can process this again (this may not make much sense) well, the man goes back in time and kills his grandmother. so the man that killed his grandmother no longer exists and so that man just turns into someone that has no relation to her..........i think.......
did any one see this?? did they see that I! the greatest riddle solver solved this riddle (did that ake sense) BOW TO ME THE GREATEST RIDDLE SOLVER PERSON!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-15-2003, 06:25 PM   #59
Celandine
Elven Warrior

I don't understand anything

My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone

You can do it a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it at a rate so your heart don't palpatate, just don't be late, do the PUYALLUP

and in the morning i'm makin' WAFFLES

We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz. Because, because, because, because, BECAUSE of the wonderful things he does.

I am a banana.

All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel, the monkey thought it was all in fun, POP goes the weasel

Do you think Chelsey's smart?

Texaco, star of the American Road!

You can trust your car with the man who wears the star at the big bright texaco star!!

TEXACO FOREVER!!!

It's texaco.com http://www.texaco.com/texaco/
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #60
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Celandine
I don't understand anything
Could you expand on that pls......I don't quite get what you'r saying

Beatallica