Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2002, 02:07 PM   #41
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just wanted to make a comment about "it;s just something that happens when you get older (not liking the pop music of the day)." I didn't like the music of the day (that is, what was played on the radio) when I was in high school either! That's what led me to believe it must just be bad! I listened to "classic rock" and heavy metal back then. Then heavy metal kind of became popular; around that time my tastes moved away from that to include many many different kinds of music, but pop hasn't been one of them.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #42
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadera
There really is no originality in the world today. Most of the music sounds the same, (yes, all of pop music sounds the same...rap...how can you tell?) the movie scripts are all the same, all the clothes in every store look the same and it's all because everybody wants to be like everybody else. People are afraid to stand out in todays world, because they're afraid that they'll create conflict.
Or maybe challenge other people?
Everything has to be 'comfortable.' Not a lot of people are willing to get down to the base of things and make a difference. They're too busy being concerned with what's cool and what's not. But I have to ask, who sets what's cool?
The big coporations? Britney Spears? What?
I just think that people need to gain a sense of individualism again, and the freedom to be different than everybody else.
Hey, I don't think having likes for things in pop culture makes you like everyone else. I'm not trying to be comfortable - I just listen to whatever sounds good to me. Heaven forbid something "popular" should actually catch my attention. So what, I enjoy a few Britney Spears songs, own without shame an 'N Sync CD, or attempt to rap along with Eminem's inane lyrics. If I like, then I like it - there's nothing wrong with that.

I've tried listening to J-pop. Most of it's worse than Britney Spears' horrible songs, if you ask me. The high pitch bubble-gum voices and continium dance/trance tunes . . .

For the moment, however, Delerium is the best group for me.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:24 PM   #43
azalea
Long lost mooter

I agree with you there, one shouldn't NOT like something just to be different either. Many who say they want to be individuals end up conforming in some respect anyway (just as an example, people who say they want a piercing to show their individuality are just being like others who have a piercing).
And some people just don't CARE, and so may look "normal", but be more of an individual than others who are TRYING to be different.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:29 PM   #44
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I listened to "classic rock" and heavy metal back then.
I think we are within a year or two of each other would any of those bands have been

Iron Maiden
Dio
Queensryche
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
Dokken

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:50 PM   #45
azalea
Long lost mooter

Uh-huh, and Judas Priest, Metallica, Ozzy...
Old 07-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #46
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa

Hey, I don't think having likes for things in pop culture makes you like everyone else. I'm not trying to be comfortable - I just listen to whatever sounds good to me. Heaven forbid something "popular" should actually catch my attention. So what, I enjoy a few Britney Spears songs, own without shame an 'N Sync CD, or attempt to rap along with Eminem's inane lyrics. If I like, then I like it - there's nothing wrong with that.

I've tried listening to J-pop. Most of it's worse than Britney Spears' horrible songs, if you ask me. The high pitch bubble-gum voices and continium dance/trance tunes . . .

For the moment, however, Delerium is the best group for me.
What the hells j pop. Delerium are they the band that did that dance track silence?

My tatse in music can vary so much it depends on what mood i am in. i dont mind listening to a bit of pop musics it makes ya smile. i dont mind going to gatecrasher and places like that but y they have to go on till 7 in the morning baffles me.

From my experience people who are really into music can be so snobbish and boring.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #47
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

How could I forget Judas Priest???!!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #48
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

J-pop is short for Japanese pop. Some of it is pretty good. (Especially the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra)

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:04 PM   #49
Sween
im quite stupid

ohhhhhhhhhhh japenease pop music that sounds fantastic .what will they think of next. i really dont like this branding of a countries image. we are doing that with india here at the moment its a bit deemening.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:25 AM   #50
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree, it's almost worse to go against the grain JUST to go against the grain than it is to go with the grain. You all get that, right?

there are so many people in my school that try their hardest to be different that nothing is shocking any more. All these kids hang out in groups, bragging about how they're individuals and so different from teh teenyboppers...and they all look exactly the same, same spiked hair, same safety pins.

Please, give me a break.

edit: I have just recently become enlightened on how awesome some of the Beatles stuff is...Eleanor Rigby is one of my favorite songs right now.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 07-28-2002 at 01:27 AM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:19 AM   #51
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ooh ooh, another beatles convert! Yay!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:27 AM   #52
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

We will convert all the young to The Beatles one day. IMO, the music died in December 1980
Old 07-28-2002, 02:31 AM   #53
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*sob* It's so true.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:37 AM   #54
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

*start sobbing* Trust me to be born in the awful year.
I think I am nearly spamming GM today, so I better go.

"All we are saying, is give peace a chance"
Old 07-28-2002, 04:49 AM   #55
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

so if John Lennon were alive today could we say that some of the music died november last year?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 06:32 AM   #56
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I agree, it's almost worse to go against the grain JUST to go against the grain than it is to go with the grain. You all get that, right?

there are so many people in my school that try their hardest to be different that nothing is shocking any more. All these kids hang out in groups, bragging about how they're individuals and so different from teh teenyboppers...and they all look exactly the same, same spiked hair, same safety pins.

Please, give me a break.

edit: I have just recently become enlightened on how awesome some of the Beatles stuff is...Eleanor Rigby is one of my favorite songs right now.
I feel so sorry for all the people who try to be diffrent but just fail. its like all the people who like slipknot and wear all there clothes and say im diffrent. Do they not understand irony. I hate slipknot for the simple fact they are the most clevery marketed band since the spice girls
Old 07-28-2002, 10:14 AM   #57
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

What I abhor most about popular culture is the fraudulent nature of it. The music is fake, pop lyrics are totally fantastical which can only truly relate to a small minority of people. The artists themselves don't care about the music, they care about the image that makes them popular. If they did care about the music, they would play instruments, write proper songs, perform live, something that pop acts cannot do.

The marketing is very clever, the record companies have a way into convincing the shallow that pop acts have talent, when really all they are is an image, a fake image, an image for making money.

Quote:
I hate slipknot for the simple fact they are the most clevery marketed band since the spice girls
Slipknot are about as 'Heavy' than the Spice Girls are to feminism.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 10:43 AM   #58
Sween
im quite stupid

your right there. But even the sub culture is marketed these days. is so hard to be an individual. i mean what isnt popular these days. everything is so neatly divided into sub catergries nu metal, thrash metal, hip hop etc etc.

I just hate slipknot as they are just so contraditory at least the spice girls didnt make much of a secreat that they were well marketed.

The only way not to be affected by pop culture is not to like bands but like songs. i like a few britney songs but at the same time i listen to iorn maiden, i also like a bit of hard house etc.

Only way to be really individual is to detach artist and song and just see if you like the song.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:57 AM   #59
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I link this music bummer to videos. Being "a rebel" was a blast till MTV came along. I developed my extreme vintage shopping habits going to thrift stores looking for "new wave, punk" type clothes to wear. As soon as MTV hit the air waves, the fun left. They started stocking stores with striped shirts like the Cars wore, new romantic clothes were the in thing at department stores, and the Madonna look was marketed. BOO! this took all the fun out of it! We wern't different anymore, but the MTV and marketing people were getting rich! I dropped out and had a child! I swear, being "normal" became my way of being different! Truely, the best thing to do is be yourself, but that is hard when you're only 15 and not sure who you are yet. That's where the trends come in as a way to shop for identity, but when it's mass marketed to you and carefully crafted by someone else, it just makes you feel like a sheep!

Last edited by Lizra : 07-28-2002 at 11:03 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #60
Sween
im quite stupid

MTV does have a lot to answer for. In britian what they do every so often is just pick a slighty altenative song (allthough it seems the only way to be altenative these days is to like lional richie) and say you should like this cos then you will be 'coooolllllllllll'. Its just this kinda non free think world that we live in these days. People these days seem to want to be told whats good rather than find it out for themselves. well at least when they are young.

Pop culture serves a good purpose when young and that is to give you somthing secure and safe to have as back up. Its hard enough in your youth to know who you are and having somthing popular and just go along with it give you the cahnce to fit in while you work out who and what you are and like.