Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #41
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Yep, I've heard of how the college guys beat the professional Soviet players. That was during the Winter Games in Lake Placid, not in Moscow (where the Summer Games were held the same year).
My bad. I didn't know that the summer an the winter olympics were in the same year.
Quote:
"Miracle" is a movie I have wanted to rent for some time now
It's really good. I'm not sure if I've seen the entire thing, though.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #42
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

the summer and winter olympics used to be in the same year, then a while back, they switched it, so they're alternating every 2 years, IIRC.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I didn't know that either Merry, since now they aren't in the same year, no biggie. (They do alternate every two years now R*.)
Quote:
I watched Sweden play against Italy today in the women's hockey. The class differences between the teams are just too big for women's hockey to be interesting. Canada is practically invincible whereas Italy can hardly skate. Hardly any team is on the same level as another team. Hopefully the other teams will catch up on Canada in the future.
Italy is not the most exciting team to watch in Women's Hockey. They did get slaughtered by the Canadian women, but Italy stinks at hockey. (They do have some good men playing in the NHL, but they weren't allowed to play on the Olympic team because Italy was being silly.)

The final score was 16-0 for Canada, and Don Cherry and some other people actually criticized the Canadian women for running up the score! The Italian team are not wusses, and they aren't crybabies. I haven't heard any complaints from Italy, recipients of all those goals, because they are Olympic athletes. I mean, running up the score? What is that? You mean scoring as many goals as you can against your opponents, the purpose of hockey? This is the Olympics, not the Peewee Leagues. Shut up Don Cherry.

For some exciting and awesome Women's Hockey, watch Canada, the USA, Sweden, and Finland. I hope you watched the Swedish women beat the USA! Go Sweden! I bet that was an awesome game. I mean, that is a huge upset.

I haven't mentioned it yet in this thread, but this has been my Olympic hockey dream from the start: Canada - gold, Sweden - silver, Finland - bronze. Sorry USA, I love you for being talented hockey players and great rivals, I just want my Scandinavian buddies to win more.

Sweden beat the USA in a shootout! Story here at the CBC.

Finland played very well but still lost to Canada 6 to 0. I thought Räny (the Finnish goalie) played well, she faced a lot of pressure and at least 32 shots. I watched part of this game and it was awesome.

It looks like Finland and Sweden are emerging as Women's Hockey powerhouses.

The final is at 2:30pm EST (11:30am PST) on Monday*, and Canada will play Sweden. I'm so excited! My Olympic hockey dream can come true! I just hope Finland can beat the USA for the bronze medal - that will be a very hard fought game.

Quote:
Way to go, Norway!
Yeah, well done Norway! They have 13 medals now. We weren't doing very well before, but Canada is up to 11 medals now! We cleaned up yesterday. Now we're tied for second with Russia and Germany. The USA has the most gold medals with 6 (medal total 10).

I have so much love for Norway in these Olympics, due to their sportsmanlike conduct in cross-country skiing. Beckie Scott broke a ski pole in the cross-country skiing event (someone stepped on it accidentally, but these things happen). She immediately started losing ground because you can't ski with one pole. However, at the first opportunity, the Norwegian coach Bjørnar Håkensmoen gave her a pole. It was a men's pole and too long, but hey, at least she could still ski. And she sure did ski! She ended up winning silver! Norway ended up in fourth. Without a pole there's no way she would have placed, and Norway might have gotten bronze.
According to the Globe and Mail article I read, where Håkensmoen was interviewed, he and all the other coaches and trainers agreed the night before that if any athlete was having equipment problems, the nearest coach or trainer would help them out.
This is what the Olympics are all about - great athletes, and awesome sportsmanship. Way to restore my love for the Olympics Norway!

Story at Yahoo news

*I've missed enough class this term, but I just might skip stats to watch this game!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 02-17-2006 at 06:52 PM. Reason: to add more details
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #44
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Off the top of my head, I think 1992 was the last time that they were in the same year.

edit: Yup, I'm correct. Then the next winter games was 1994 and next summer 1996 - four year cycles from that (next winter 1998, next summer 2000, etc)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #45
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I didn't know that either Merry, since now they aren't in the same year, no biggie. (They do alternate every two years now R*.)
That was Pippin.
Quote:
The final score was 16-0 for Canada

Quote:
For some exciting and awesome Women's Hockey, watch Canada, the USA, Sweden, and Finland. I hope you watched the Swedish women beat the USA! Go Sweden! I bet that was an awesome game. I mean, that is a huge upset.
Don't sound so excited. There are serious USA fans here.
Quote:
I haven't mentioned it yet in this thread, but this has been my Olympic hockey dream from the start: Canada - gold, Sweden - silver, Finland - bronze. Sorry USA, I love you for being talented hockey players and great rivals, I just want my Scandinavian buddies to win more.
I wish both teams luck. (I wish USA more luck, though. )
Quote:
The USA has the most gold medals with 6 (medal total 10).
Oh yeah!

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer

Last edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck : 02-17-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #46
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I wish to stay out of it all!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #47
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
i usually get exited about the olympics, expecially the winter ones, and this year i was even more exited. everyone was saying "we are sending our best team ever to torino(turin)" and all the hype with bode miller, jeremy bloom, and apolo whatever his last name is, just made me more exited. WHAT A LET DOWN. these guys havnt done anything. im just glad they have all the snowboarding events now and the girls are kickin butt. im really pumped about tonite because lindsey jacobellis(who i have a huge crush on) is goin for gold, and i think she'll get it.although we do have the most gold medals i still feel like ive been let down. maybe this has to do with my expectations that the media threw at me.all i know is this years winter olympics so far seem to be ruled by the women. Good luck to sasha cohen and and sarah hughes little sis, whos name i cant think of right now.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #48
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
okay, i just watched the womens snowboard cross and im not happy. is it me or did lindsey try to show off with that last jump? lindsey you let me down.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #49
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lookit! Gorgeous photographs of Sasha Cohen -

http://www.leemarshallmanagement.com/sashamags.shtml

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:47 AM   #50
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
okay, i just watched the womens snowboard cross and im not happy. is it me or did lindsey try to show off with that last jump? lindsey you let me down.
Hah! That was the funniest thing I'd seen all day. As soon as she tried that little trick, I thought, “please crash”. The huge grin on the 2nd place entrant as she passed the first was a real ROTFL moment.

For me, the snowboard cross is the most exciting event at these Games. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the 140m ski-jump. That is art.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #51
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
The final score was 16-0 for Canada, and Don Cherry and some other people actually criticized the Canadian women for running up the score! The Italian team are not wusses, and they aren't crybabies. I haven't heard any complaints from Italy, recipients of all those goals, because they are Olympic athletes. I mean, running up the score? What is that? You mean scoring as many goals as you can against your opponents, the purpose of hockey? This is the Olympics, not the Peewee Leagues. Shut up Don Cherry.
The sports commentators over here mentioned how Canadians had criticized the Canadian women for humiliating Italy with a 16-0 win. The commentators thought this was unfair criticism, since "it's in the Canadian hockeyplayers genes" to always play their best.
I think the Canadians were simply teaching the Italians the art of playing ice-hockey

Quote:
Sure watched it! Boy, that was historic. No team, other than Canada, had ever beaten the US women before!

Quote:
Finland played very well but still lost to Canada 6 to 0. I thought Räny (the Finnish goalie) played well, she faced a lot of pressure and at least 32 shots. I watched part of this game and it was awesome.
It looks like Finland and Sweden are emerging as Women's Hockey powerhouses.
I watched the match between Canada and Finland too.
I wouldn't say Finland and Sweden are emerging just yet, there are still huge differences between the teams. If you look at all the big championships in the past, Canada has almost always won, the USA has come second, Finland third and Sweden fourth. Albeit Sweden seems to be passing Finland to become the 3rd best team in the world, the way to becoming as good as Canada and the USA is still very long.

Quote:
The final is at 2:30pm EST (11:30am PST) on Monday*, and Canada will play Sweden. I'm so excited! My Olympic hockey dream can come true! I just hope Finland can beat the USA for the bronze medal - that will be a very hard fought game.
I have no doubt that both Canada and the USA will win their respective games. But have in mind that in the final, anything but victory will be regarded as a complete failure for the Canadians whereas the Swedes have everything to win. And in the bronze match, the USA's disappointment after losing to Sweden might benefit the Finns.

Quote:
Man, I felt so sorry about Jacobellis when she fell. She'll have to live with that mistake the rest of her life
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-18-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #52
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
Yeah, was actually pretty pleased to see the French guy winning, even though it meant Aamodt lost his bronze. Much less pleasing was the fact that Aamodt hurt his knee and will have to take it easy the rest of the Olympics. :-\
Ok, forget that post. Congrats, Aamodt!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #53
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
The sports commentators over here mentioned how Canadians had criticized the Canadian women for humiliating Italy with a 16-0 win. The commentators thought this was unfair criticism, since "it's in the Canadian hockeyplayers genes" to always play their best.
I think the Canadians were simply teaching the Italians the art of playing ice-hockey
Absolutely! I don't think the Italians were humiliated anyway - they showed up didn't they? I mean, at least they sent a team to the Olympics. It would be insulting to them to "go easy" on them. I think both teams were quite classy about the whole affair. (Shut up Don Cherry. )

Quote:
Sure watched it! Boy, that was historic. No team, other than Canada, had ever beaten the US women before!
That was a very awesome accomplishment. The USA team plays very excellent hockey and it was a very big deal that Sweden beat them!

Quote:
I watched the match between Canada and Finland too.
I wouldn't say Finland and Sweden are emerging just yet, there are still huge differences between the teams. If you look at all the big championships in the past, Canada has almost always won, the USA has come second, Finland third and Sweden fourth. Albeit Sweden seems to be passing Finland to become the 3rd best team in the world, the way to becoming as good as Canada and the USA is still very long.
Maybe Finland isn't emerging as one of the top teams just yet, but they have loads and loads of potential. Give them a few more years and they'll be giving us a run for our money!
I think Sweden can count itself in the top teams now. They beat the USA! I think that makes them part of the top teams. Sweden is also the only team that took a point off of us. (Canada has only given up one goal in the tournament, and it was to Sweden.)

Quote:
I have no doubt that both Canada and the USA will win their respective games. But have in mind that in the final, anything but victory will be regarded as a complete failure for the Canadians whereas the Swedes have everything to win. And in the bronze match, the USA's disappointment after losing to Sweden might benefit the Finns.
We probably will win, and the USA will probably win their game, but if hockey has shown us anything this Olympics, it is the danger of complacency! I think both the games (for gold and for bronze) will be very hard-fought for the reasons you outlined.

Canada: We have to win gold! Nothing else is acceptable!
Sweden: Holy crap, we could win gold! Let's do this thing!
USA: There is no freaking way that we're going home without a medal!
Finland: Holy crap, we could get a medal! Let's give 'er!

Quote:
Man, I felt so sorry about Jacobellis when she fell. She'll have to live with that mistake the rest of her life
I feel bad for her too. Nothing can make up for coming so close to gold and then blowing it. *hugs Jacobellis*

Speaking of major hockey upsets, I think I mentioned that Switzerland (thus far not major players in men's hockey) beat the Czech Republic! The Czechs are, of course, hockey giants, so everyone was surprised when little ol' Switzerland beat them. Apparently the Swiss goalie is a genius.
Maybe Canada should have been a little less surprised at the Swiss, since we just lost to them 2-0. Well done Switzerland, I'm sure you brought your A game. Why did we lose? Take this quiz to find the answer!

How many times does the Canadian men's team practice together as a team before the Olympics?
a) 1
b) 3
c) 6
d) 12

The Swiss team, not having the equivelant of the NHL (where the Canadian team draws all its members from) plays together all year. Just sayin'.

Highlight below to see the answer!
--> 1 <--
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 02-18-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #54
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
I feel bad for her too. Nothing can make up for coming so close to gold and then blowing it. *hugs Jacobellis*
At least she got a medal. The gold medal winner for women's is the girlfriend of the American men's gold medal winner of the same sport.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #55
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i haven't been payin attention to the limpics, i hate sport
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #56
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
My thoughts exactly...but we did take gold in men's. I just found out about Snowboard Cross, and it is really cool!! It reminds me slightly of Ben-Hur on snow.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #57
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Lookit! Gorgeous photographs of Sasha Cohen -

http://www.leemarshallmanagement.com/sashamags.shtml

I like women's figure skating a lot. All these beautiful women whirling about. Mmmh.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
At least she got a medal. The gold medal winner for women's is the girlfriend of the American men's gold medal winner of the same sport.
I thought she didn't place, but it turns out she actually got silver. My bad then. BTW sorry I mistook you for Pippin earlier. All you short folk look alike.

The Canadian men's hockey team lost to Finland. Good game Finland! They played well. But ouch. Can we still get bronze? Maybe? It stings. It stings so bad...

Good thing our women's team is representing for Canadian hockey! Booya!

I'm just sad that we aren't playing like a team. We practice ONE time together before the Olympics. I realised the other day that... we're like... the New York Rangers! Noooo! We're an assemblage of extremely talented players who don't play like a team.

Maybe it was a mistake to let NHL players be in the Olympics. They are already busy athletes with full-time jobs - how can we expect them to commit to the Olympics?

Then again, the Swedes, the Russians, and the Finns have NHL players on their teams and they've been doing pretty well.
Quote:
Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #59
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
The Canadian men's hockey team lost to Finland. Good game Finland! They played well. But ouch. Can we still get bronze? Maybe? It stings. It stings so bad...
Finland has performed really well this tournament and will win the group. I love the Finnish players' speed and you can see they're putting their hearts into winning each game. Perhaps they can go as far as winning the gold?

Quote:
I'm just sad that we aren't playing like a team. We practice ONE time together before the Olympics. I realised the other day that... we're like... the New York Rangers! Noooo! We're an assemblage of extremely talented players who don't play like a team.

Maybe it was a mistake to let NHL players be in the Olympics. They are already busy athletes with full-time jobs - how can we expect them to commit to the Olympics?

Then again, the Swedes, the Russians, and the Finns have NHL players on their teams and they've been doing pretty well.
I'm not sure the Swedish team has practiced at all before the Olympics, however the NHL players are always good at lifting the other players. Letting NHL players participate in the Olympics has benefited Sweden so of course I think they should be allowed to play
Also, if it was decided not to let NHL players participate, why should players from any fairly large hockey league (like the Russian, Finnish or Swedish leagues) be allowed?

Congrats to the US women on winning the bronze!

[edit]The final is over. Canada won their second consecutive gold and Sweden amazingly finished the tournament with a silver medal. Great performances by both teams

*Listens to Canadian national anthem on tv*
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-20-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #60
Meriadoc Brandybuck

Quote:
I thought she didn't place, but it turns out she actually got silver. My bad then. BTW sorry I mistook you for Pippin earlier. All you short folk look alike.
And you Big Folk all look the same.