Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #41
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

it is good because some people haven't read the books

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #42
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

THE MOVIES ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE BOOKS! IN SOME WAYS AT LEAST!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #43
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

why do you make them separate?

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #44
azalea
Long lost mooter

It's important to keep discussion of the movies out of the book forum because the movies are but one facet of the world of ME, and are someone else's interpretation of it at that. This forum needs to be kept "pure" of movie related stuff, because, well, they aren't the book, and cannot be used to discuss matters relating to the book. The book, however, is the basis for the movie, so of course you'll have book references in the movie forum. It just makes sense that if you wish to discuss ME as portrayed in the movie, you would post in the movie forum, which was specially made for that, and has many threads on many topics relating to the movie "world." It also helps to keep the discussion from being confusing, because you know what the posters are talking about when the two are kept separate, but when it gets mixed up, it's hard to tell sometimes. I hope this explains it sufficiently. And I want to thank all the 'mooters for helping out with this, it sure does make things easier!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #45
Sir Gram
Sapling

Gimli Books on CD Rom

I have the un-abridged Hobbit, LOTR and the Return of the King on CD rom and would trade any one for a copy of Un-Abridged Two Towers. Un- Abridged means exactly as the author scribed it. Not a word changed, all foot notes and additional material in the books are included in the spoken word version of the books. These little devils are kind of spendy so lets barter, and see if we can keep each other out of the lockholes for being broke. I also have the BBC version of the Hobbit on CD, the 1979 Soundelux Audio (condenced) version of LOTR on CD and the Decca Demetriou production of the hobbit on Vinyl record. Yes I said record.
Look I'm not out to rip the publishers or family of Tolkien off, I just want to trade any of the above (except for records) for a copy of the Two Towers CD. NO more No less.
Being new I hope this has been posted in the correct section. If this is inappropriate or frowned upon please let me know, with things, and times being as hard as they currently are I really don't think old JRR would mind a little trading to share his vision and words. Sir Gram
Sir Gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:50 PM   #46
azalea
Long lost mooter

Actually this isn't the right thread for that. There's a LotR merchandise thread, which I believe is in the Movies forum. There are also a couple of threads about recordings of the books, etc., which you might want to do a search to find.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #47
littlemissjess
Sapling

Re: Announcement: Keeping the Books and Movies separate

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Recently I've seen a lot of posts about Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies in this thread, the movies are influencing judgements, dislike/like of characters, perspectives etc in Lord of the Rings books discussions. I have also seen obvious discussions about the movie in threads that should be about the books.

The books and the movie are separate, that's why we have two forums for both of them, when discussing the books use the Books forum, when discussing the movies use the movies forum. When the movies start being discussed in threads of this forum I will now consider them off-topic and I will take the usual procedure with very off-topic threads.
good idea
littlemissjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:58 PM   #48
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Welcome to the Entmoot! It's a great place to have fun and discuss the works of a stupendous genius, and a literary giant.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #49
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
...discuss the works....
For some reason, I like to think of them as masterpeices.

I think that the books are WAY better then the movie, and it IS important to keep them seperate (but I'm sure that that has already been said).
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #50
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Ditto. Keep the books in a shrine, and the movies under the couch.

(I had to throw out several ruder places before I came up with couch...)

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #51
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

The problem I am finding, especially among younger people, is that there is a confusion between the two. I have seen posts in the "book threads" on other forums which have identified character traits or plot devices that were limited to the films but I have never seen the reverse - that is, scenarios from the book being brought up in the film threads except as a matter of making a comparison between the two.

There can be no doubt that the images from the films are very persuasive and stay in the mind even for those who have read the book for years before the films were released. For instance, certainly the scenery in the films has supplanted most of our "imaginations" of the book's setting and the same can be said of the actors, costumes and sets. How many of us can envision anyone other than Ian McKellen as Gandalf after viewing the films? Again, many of us had our own interpretation of the physical aspects of the characters before the films that have been supplanted by their visual impact.

There is nothing inherently bad about the above, but it should be a warning to Tolkien lovers that many of those who are coming to the book after the films are going to labor under considerable confusion given the very large differences (especially in the character development) between book and films. I think much of what has been spoken about in this thread (people posting references to the films in the book threads) is a result of this basic confusion in the minds of many for whom exposure the book has been subsequent to their exposure to the films.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #52
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
There can be no doubt that the images from the films are very persuasive and stay in the mind even for those who have read the book for years before the films were released. For instance, certainly the scenery in the films has supplanted most of our "imaginations" of the book's setting and the same can be said of the actors, costumes and sets. How many of us can envision anyone other than Ian McKellen as Gandalf after viewing the films?
Well, I, for one, do not see the images of the films when I think about tolkien's world. ]:-)
Old 05-02-2003, 08:36 AM   #53
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Well, I, for one, do not see the images of the films when I think about tolkien's world. ]:-)
Then you are one of the fortunate few for most of us have been influenced by these films and especially the younger viewers who have yet to read the book or at least not read it with the understanding of someone who is more mature. The problem here, however, is not the "images" but the context in which the images were projected, the devolution and deviation in the characters and plot which have yet to be fully realized until the last film is released. I tell you that Jackson may well have Gollum's fall into the Fire be an act of self-sacrifice rather than simple accident - and that changes everything as far as the meaning of the story is concerned.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:37 PM   #54
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Interesting point! If they had change EVERYTHING, as Spielberg did with The Minority Report, it wouldn't be possible to co-opt the reader's mind. When you read the Minority Report, there is just no chance that ANY image from the movie can fit the actual text. So PJ is damned for deviating from the book, and damned for adhering to it. It sure makes it easy for me to be a snob now. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #55
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Interesting point! If they had change EVERYTHING, as Spielberg did with The Minority Report, it wouldn't be possible to co-opt the reader's mind. When you read the Minority Report, there is just no chance that ANY image from the movie can fit the actual text. So PJ is damned for deviating from the book, and damned for adhering to it. It sure makes it easy for me to be a snob now. Thanks.
Minority Report does not compare as a work of literature or as a "cult classic" to LOTR. If Spielberg changed "everything" about the plot and characters (and I wouldn't know as I didn't read the book), then that was his choice. I daresay he was funded because he was Spielberg and not because he was filming Minority Report.

On the other hand, Jackson was most definitely funded and supported by the audience because of LOTR and not because he was Jackson. Under those circumstances, he owed it to both his backers and his audience to make every effort to remain faithful to the original source at least as far as was possible given the difference in medium - and frankly I don't think anyone can make that assertion at least with a straight face!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:41 PM   #56
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Tell that to a Phillip K. Dick fan. I personally find Dick to be one of the top writers of the 20th century.

Anyway, this is the books forum.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #57
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Sorry! I was "advised" by e-mail of the post to which I responded and did not look at the forum. Naturally, I assumed since the film was mentioned, it was a film forum. Again, my apologies.

I have begun the "His Dark Materials" books by Philip Pullman. I have really only started the first book (about 100 pages or so) and it is very interesting - and certainly no one could accuse Pullman of aping Tolkien even with Oxford as one of his settings!
Old 10-25-2003, 07:43 AM   #58
Turambar1982
Hobbit

I have begun the "His Dark Materials" books by Philip Pullman. I have really only started the first book (about 100 pages or so) and it is very interesting - and certainly no one could accuse Pullman of aping Tolkien even with Oxford as one of his settings! [/B][/QUOTE]

Those books are awesome! you can't compare to LOTR. but still
Turambar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #59
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar1982
I have begun the "His Dark Materials" books by Philip Pullman. I have really only started the first book (about 100 pages or so) and it is very interesting - and certainly no one could accuse Pullman of aping Tolkien even with Oxford as one of his settings! Those books are awesome! you can't compare to LOTR. but still
Pullman is/was an atheist. He wrote His Dark Materials as a challenge/protest not to Tolkien, but to C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. He wanted a definitely secular science fiction fantasy series for children to counter Lewis's profoundly Christian effort. Frankly, having read it, I think it falls far short of Lewis's work if for no other reason than it ends without hope - which, if you consider it, is the entire problem with a totally secular philosophy.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:47 PM   #60
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Tom Bombadil

I'm VERY new on this site, and this was the first thing I saw.

It's absolutely very important to keep them apart. If you've never read the books, you can't see the deapth in the movie. One can't describe the feeling you get from reading the books.

Also, I think that it isn't good to see the movies before you read the books. I unfortunately did that with the first LotR book, and it sort of stops you from making your own pictures of the characters. But somehow I managed, maybe because I saw the big difference between the characters described in the books vs the ones in the books.

Love to all Tolkien-lovers!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote