Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #561
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Killing Characters

Here is my stance on the whole killing-of-other-characters thing: If someone makes their character act in EXACTly a way in which the other character they are playing off of MUST act IN CHARACTER, which may mean reacting in such manner as killing, then so be it. Period. If one does not want their character to die, one doesn't need to put their character directly in the line of fire. There is no bad or good form here, IMO, it is a role-playing writing project. This is exactly what I was trying to explain last month, when the snoopy reporter wanted to crash the private home dinner at Orrodel, and there would have been NO WAY IN ANGMAR that Viv would have let such a character in the house, or if that character pushed his or her way in the house ANYway, there's nothing stopping the Nazgullian character Viv from acting within her OWN established character, and murdering and disposing of the snoopy, pushy reporter invading Orrodel. Do you guys see the logic in this? I'm SO not trying to cause feathers to ruffle, or whatever, and I wasn't last month, either. I'm JUST SAYIN'. There's a parallel to be drawn here, between the two scenarios, and this is my personal take on it.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #562
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Probably a good compromise here would be for the Steward to have had one of his underlings put the topaz in, and the underling will get zapped.

Good to see you (and Viv) back, Lotesse!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #563
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Of course I know they're joking. Mostly joking anyway.

Quote:
Is the unnamed steward your character? Since when?
Since you said this:

Quote:
Do you realise, Willow, that your Steward is a goner?
and told me to give him a name.

I guess he is mine then. Hurrah! I've got a minion.

You must admit that killing him would raise suspicion. But you should reprimand him at the least.
And I fully expect the nazgul to retaliate, I'm looking forward to it. you'll find that this elf is rather more slippery than you think.

There is no need to get up in arms about it. I was reiterating a rule that generally applies and that is very useful for keeping the peace among players.
If one places their character in the line of fire that counts as permission, no doubt about it.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-17-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #564
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Ciao, Willow! I must ask for a couple tiny changes, if you can - Galadannun/Khamul would not be confused - and indeed, for all to know it was indigestion from something he had eaten earlier; no one's keeping track of who is eating what and when. Also, Viv would NEVER, NEVER speak of her "older brother" in third person like that, so seemingly patronising or "babying," either in public or in private. Everything she just spoke there is out of character for her, sorry! He already apologised for himself. She wouldn't have said anything at all to apologise for Professor Galadannun's pain thing. She is poised, polished, self-assured, quick-witted, impeccably mannered, graceful, to-the-point, and respectful. Just so everyone knows!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #565
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Probably a good compromise here would be for the Steward to have had one of his underlings put the topaz in, and the underling will get zapped.

Good to see you (and Viv) back, Lotesse!
That's a real good idea, I think.

Ciao, Rian; yes it's GREAT to be back!

Willow - I'm gonna change what Khamul said from rich food to rich drink, and he takes a sip of water now instead of wine, O.K.?

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-17-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #566
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Nice, Willow! It's so Khamul-esque to be sarcastic like that and glare at Mahtaliel. Thanx 4 the revisions, too; much appreciated!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #567
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Killing Characters

I agree with EVERY WORD in Lotesse's post on the subject.

Why should I reprimand the steward? That will be suspicious, showing him that there was something wrong with this goblet.

Why should I interact with this character at all IF acting in character for the Chancellor means killing him in absolutely unsuspicious way. Just an accident.
So I prefer to forget about the Steward, if you do not permit to play with him as I want.
Please, enjoy your Steward, Willow.

But let me remind you all, that restricting possibilities in the game makes it dull and pale.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #568
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I am going to bed. Please, make servants bring you some food! Rich food, exquisite food!
Eh, Lotesse? You are good in it, I know!

As for Khamul and Viv, I believe TD will not be too happy with Khamul so nice to Viv, especially while he is in pain. But it is for TD to decide.
Night, all!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #569
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

'night, Gordis! You deserve a good rest after all that last-minute table arranging

I put in an "earlier that day" post - hope it didn't disrupt the dinner too much.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #570
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

That's fine Lotesse, you were right, when I re-read it it was out of character for them. Sometimes I get caught up in the writing and forget to check.

Gordis, I've responded to you via pm. I think we misunderstood eachother, hopefully I've explained my reasoning though even what I said in that seems overly hasty to me now, so feel free to ask for clarification.

I've really been reading and reacting too hastily today.

My apologies to all. I've edited so that my points are more clear and less offensive.

Sincerely,
WO
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-17-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #571
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
As for Valandil , I really believe we have a problem here. Why have the Chancellor and Aiwendis chosen to make him drink the potion in such an obvious way - in a welcome cup, instead of filling his goblet with it during the meal?
Because, HE HAD TO DRAIN THE WELCOME CUP DOWN TO THE LAST DREG.

Really, Val, what are you afraid of? The Moon was waning on that night, you will not become mad with love anyway. But why won't you develop this interesting LOVE POTION LINE? Wouldn't it be interesting to feel torn between Aiwendis and Earniel, instead of continuing the rather dull line of pining for the Elf? Loving too women at once will be dramatic, fully unexpected and troubling for one of the Faithful.

Think on it, PLEASE.
Certainly, Gordis - I think this is just a matter of player Valandil not knowing whatever character Valandil is supposed to know. I thought the custom might be to take a sip and pass the drink on around (and decided that since it came to Aiwendis, I should pass it the other direction to start it). However - if I was expected to drain the whole thing, and it is proper ME ettiquette to do so, I will go back and edit my post accordingly.

I just figured your potion would be potent enough to make do...

Anyway - haven't even seen the game thread yet, so I hope things haven't gone too far ahead of me.

Serenoli - a Dwarf would be relatively rare in Tharbad, but not by any means unheard of. After all... Moria is just up the road a bit.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #572
Valandil

OK - caught up and fixed the trouble. BB - hope you won't mind, but I thought it would be more clear in the long run to just make the post myself. Not that many more had posted yet, and I think it still fits. Should I just delete the post you intended for my use?

How long shall I wait to reveal my new idea?

And... I'm sorta hoping a good shot of athelas tea or athelas SOMETHING will be efficacious (SP?) in countering the effects of whatever I just drank!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 10-17-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:19 AM   #573
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Val, Lotesse, Gordis, Rian, BB, Willow, Serengoli - a great day of posts. Terrific, rich and varied. If I have missed anyone, I am sorry. Just too many good posts, too many good things all in one day.

By the way, none of my characters ever kill anyone else's characters unless it is mutually agreed upon. I might kill some of my own minions, but never anyone else's, unless, of course, it is agreed upon. The acerbic elf is quite safe.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 AM   #574
Valandil

Music please...

":
:
I held my nose,
I closed my eyes,
I took a drink!

I didn't know if it was day or night,
I started kissin' everything in sight!
:
:
:"

"Love Potion Number Nine" - I don't even know who did it - back in the 50's, I believe.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #575
Rían

^ Should be interesting!
|

Lotesse - what's your thoughts about keeping Rian on at Orrodel? How in the world can you convince Khamul to do this, on top of letting her have enough free time to attend Commerce classes and look for the sender of the gray mare? But Viv is pretty persuasive ...

I'm fine with staying on at Orrodel (interesting place!) as long as I have time away from it, too. Basically, as long as things are running smoothly, I don't see the need for Rian to actually be doing the work - she's more the manager.

What do you think would be best?

Last edited by Rían : 10-18-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 AM   #576
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
^ Should be interesting!
Wait and see...

Say - weren't you the one asking about sitting on the King's lap?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #577
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Lotesse, I agree with what Gor said. Khamû; wouldn't be so nice to Viv when he was in that pain. Could you edit that bit out?
Thanks
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-18-2005, 06:21 AM   #578
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
The only woman that had ever kissed Khamûl was his mother, and that was when he was five.
TD, LILLY was the last woman to kiss you, not your mother!

Lilly has planted a sisterly kiss on Khamul's cheek during the breakfast in orrodel in front of Penny, Zimra and Rian!

But then, she never supposed that it has been such an unique experience in your life!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #579
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Oh, Val, I am laughing so hard it will be the end of me...
A sword of Isildur, indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Certainly, Gordis - I think this is just a matter of player Valandil not knowing whatever character Valandil is supposed to know. I thought the custom might be to take a sip and pass the drink on around (and decided that since it came to Aiwendis, I should pass it the other direction to start it). However - if I was expected to drain the whole thing, and it is proper ME ettiquette to do so, I will go back and edit my post accordingly.
So you supposed the Chancellor decided to pass a big grail of the Love potion Number Nine around the table, for all to partake?

It could have been a really funny joke, exactly in the Morgul Lord's character, but hardly suitable for PG13 forum, helas!

I imagine morning issues of Tharbad gazette: "The Formal Reception At The University Has Turned Into An Orgy"

But I still hope it will give you nice erotic dreams featuring Aiwendis and Earniel this night.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #580
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... excellent Val

i also like that your "sword" has a mind of it's own .... of course you may well actually mean the sword ... but the double entendre is well done regardless

I beleive this is a widely held belief among the fairer sex that our "swords'' do indeed have minds of their own and speak to us, overrriding our senses and wits sometimes ...

IF it truly is Narsil that talks ... then it is funny too how he only only chooses to do so when the king is aroused!

edit: by his sword shall we judge him ... and impressive weapons are impressive weapons: if he is anything like his father, he will be adept at handling it!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-18-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Closed Thread