Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #561
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*returns the smile*

My goodness, you're just a travellin' man! Where are you off to this time?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #562
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Wauuu, BB, great post! Beautiful B in the Chancellor's study! I like how you portray the Morgul Lord very much.
And it applies to all the others who already met him.

BB, what about your Widow?

Rian, it was a very nice post!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:00 PM   #563
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Maybe RÃ*an can audit the class ...
Commerce? Sure. We need a good Prof there. What would be better? An old guy who really doesn't understand why nobody but Val listens to him? Or a young ambitious one?
And imagine, 10 girls and the King!!!
If you are really serious, it is great, I think. Invent a character and play it!

And I have got a custom title thanks to Moot-Maia Earniel and an unknown Moot-Vala!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #564
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Gordis!
EDIT - oh, and nice new title! *admires the custom title*

And I love your butterfly post, BB - really fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
What would be better? An old guy who really doesn't understand why nobody but Val listens to him? Or a young ambitious one?
And imagine, 10 girls and the King!!!
I think the old guy would be funny

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #565
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Make him an old man, then. Think of a name and post a bio. BTW, as a Prof of Commerce, he is invited (automatically) to Sunday reception.

I go to bed,
Bye!
Gor
Old 09-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #566
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Where is our Shah? I have grown to like his posts so much! Marty and Ray at the Chancellor's! Mmmm...

Sorry! been feeling under the weather. I Will post it now. and Lotesse, Marty and ray will be in philospy class, commerce (wow, that thing out to be booked solid) some militaristic classes such as officer training (I think that they would have that type of class, seeing as it is for nobles and all) adn a few others. SORRY!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #567
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hi, you guys! I just read Rian & Butterbeer's new stuff; killer of course! I like how Rian's ready with her own hidden knife, how she's not just some unsuspecting wilting violet. That's cool. And I just LOVE Beautiful Boomerang's role, that character gets more and more interesting as this game progresses. I like that butterfly!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #568
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

THERE! AHAHAHA! I POSTED! I gotta take a break...
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #569
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I really like "trying not to avert his one good eye," LOL! and "knowing how a fish feels once its been fried" Brilliant, Shah! How come Marty and Ray are taking ship-building, though; they are meaning to build a ship? And the course on 'Commerce," everybody - what's the deal with Commerce being so popular? Is that like MacroEconomics or something? Like, how to deal with inter-state trade law, or import and trade and stuff like that? Inquiring mind wants to know. Or, is it just because the young King happens to be in Commerce...

things that make you go "Hmmmmm..."

Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #570
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Taking the same courses as the king to protect him from all those ladies...but seriously, they are of numenor as well, and even aragorn new of ships and sailing, an he was a ranger in the forests. Mainly speaking. Why shouldnt these youths know, who are right next to the see and umbar and stuff?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #571
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Oh, O.k. - I was just curious! I wish Viv could take ship-building too, but she's already pushing it with her courseload approaching maximum density. At least she'll be able to cut up in class with Marty & Ray during Philosophy!

Old 09-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #572
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
MUAHAHA!!!
I loved your musings on the hidden meaning of "Commerce"!
Thank you. It will be ...interesting to see how the Commerce-thing plays out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
*Constable BB gives a charming merry-looking smile at the beautiful Elf lady.*
*Who keeps a weary eye on him all the same for his little story in the formal-info-thread*

Quote:
I'd like, Rian, to post it all together or at least a few at a time. But while i am away maybe either Shah, Earniel or Valandil can post any summaries you are all happy with in there!
Frankly I do not see why people can't post their own description there themselves. As I've said before it's more practical, the game will be less dependant on one or two people to run, and people will remain in full control of their own character-description to edit it when necesary themselves without having first to relay the change to whoever is *patrolling* the formal thread and waiting for that person to make the change.

EDIT: Nice post, sane! Although I think Valandil is scheduled for the next day to meet the Chancellor.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-17-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #573
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Is anyone else going to be taking any kind of Language lesson, or is my purpose at the University something else?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #574
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Shah - yes, as Earniel says, I am not up next... I'm not even there.

For some reason... the Chancellor wished to treat the King differently from all the other students - and will interview him at a special reception the following day.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #575
Valandil

Oh - and Gordis... I have come up with some other motivation for Valandil to screen his mind from the Chancellor right from the start - and an explanation for how he has already managed to grow fairly strong in this regard. Hopefully you'll be reading that soon.

Yes - Estelmo should remember Ilmenzor... not only did they hang around in Gondor for awhile after the War... but Estelmo was squire to Elendur, eldest son of Isildur. They would have all been together at Minas Ithil for many, many years - and may be contemporaries of one another. Estelmo may be looking forward to a jolly reunion.

Sorry - you asked about Estelmo's AU history... what's AU? Anyway, I plan to reveal a good deal about him.

Say - HAS the Morgul Lord discovered that Isildur is dead? Or has he just discovered that Men think it is so? That he disappeared during this skirmish, and some personal belongings were found, but no body? Or could he suspect that Isildur wished for Men to THINK him dead, while 'pulling the strings' from behind the scenes?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 09-17-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #576
Valandil

Hope nobody will mind:

I'm taking a few posts close together to introduce and establish Valandil's two principal advisors: Estelmo and Oreturion. If someone is interested in taking on one of them as a player character, let me know, but they could remain 'public' (or 'semi-public' - associated with Valandil) non-player characters as well.

I wish to continue with them myself though at least until Valandil meets the Chancellor - especially Oreturion... he's fitting well into my plans for that occasion.

A few done... a couple more to go.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #577
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Shah - yes, as Earniel says, I am not up next... I'm not even there.

For some reason... the Chancellor wished to treat the King differently from all the other students - and will interview him at a special reception the following day.
Yes, Shah Val was not there. It would have been too DEMOCRATIC to make a king wait before a chancellor's door. After all, Lord Ilmenzor is one of the King's subjects. So I suggest you
a) remove Val from there.
b) pay some attention to the visibly distressed Lilly, as CS have posted an opening for you in her post #95.

I loved your post. It's a pleasure to read your contributions, Shah!

Quote:
Oh - and Gordis... I have come up with some other motivation for Valandil to screen his mind from the Chancellor right from the start - and an explanation for how he has already managed to grow fairly strong in this regard. Hopefully you'll be reading that soon.
I am looking forward to it.

Quote:
Yes - Estelmo should remember Ilmenzor... not only did they hang around in Gondor for awhile after the War... but Estelmo was squire to Elendur, eldest son of Isildur. They would have all been together at Minas Ithil for many, many years - and may be contemporaries of one another. Estelmo may be looking forward to a jolly reunion.
Estelmo's AU history... what's AU?
Yes, Estelmo most likely knew Ilmenzor, the real one as well as his dad. The Nazgul Lord must be very apprehensive of the meeting. However, he does look like Ilmenzor, with all these generic Royal Dunedain features. About 45 years passed since the last meeting of Estelmo and Ilmenzor. And Ilmenzor looked aged, ill and half-dead when he was rescued from the captivity.
No, the Morgul Lord has some asses up his sleeve, don't worry.

AU is Alternate Universe. I mean, there is someone's CANON history, which is strictly based on Tolkien's writings. For instance, Estelmo being Elendur's squire and the only survivor of the Gladden is CANON, based on the Unfinished Tales. Anything else you may wish to tell about Estelmo is AU.

Witch King being the Lord of the Nazgul is Canon, him being Tar-Ciryatan is AU. It is better to differentiate these things in the INFO thread, I think, not to confuse Moot people overmuch.

Quote:
Say - HAS the Morgul Lord discovered that Isildur is dead? Or has he just discovered that Men think it is so? That he disappeared during this skirmish, and some personal belongings were found, but no body? Or could he suspect that Isildur wished for Men to THINK him dead, while 'pulling the strings' from behind the scenes?
I have thought on Ilmenzor's story quite a bit, and came to the following decision:

I think, the Morgul Lord took Ilmenzor's place not in Minas Ithil, during Ilmenzor's captivity, but later, during Ilmenzor's travels in the South. Ilmenzor was away for 40 years TA 3 - TA 43 and returned ftom his travels somehow changed. But it was a very long time for people to remember him clearly and to see the change for what it was.

Why not in Minas Ithil?
1. It would have been really unpleasant for the Morgul Lord to starve himself and wound himself to look like a long-tortured prisoner.
2. It would have been very dangerous for the Morgul Lord to appear in Minas Ithil or anywhere in Gondor right after the war. There were Elrond, Cirdan and Isildur around, all three with Rings of Power + several Calaquendi Elves from the Last Alliance army. And there was no way to fool anyone who has access to both words. One of them was likely to come to visit the dying war hero, just perhaps to attempt his healing. King Isildur shurely would have come, as "the hands of a King are the hands of a healer", and Ilmenzor was the only son of the late Captain of Isildur's Fortress. I think it must have been King Isildur who healed the real Ilmenzor.

So, in TA 4 or 5 (?) when Isildur went from Gondor to Rivendell, taking the Ring with him, the Morgul Lord was NOT around, instead he was somewhere in the South. Umbar, or Harad, perhaps.

So he learned about Isildur's fate much later, when the fake Lord Ilmenzor returned from his long travels to Gondor (TA 43-46).
1.He learned the OFFICIAL account of the Gladden Fields (NOT mentioning the Ring at all, I bet, but telling that Isildur fell by orc arrows, while attempting to cross Anduin).
2.He found Isildur's notes about the Ring, the same as Gandalf read later.

So, at the time of our story, the Morgul Lord was still curious, what has become of the Ring.

There could have been several possibilities:

THE CHOICES OF LORD ILMENZOR

1. Isildur was lost in the river with the Ring. But, why was he visible for the orcs to shoot? Why haven't he put the Ring on?
So, this story seems unlikely.

2. Isildur gave the Ring to Ohtar along with the shreds of Narsil, to give it to his only remaining son, Valandil. That was why he couldn't become invisible and died by orc arrows as in official version.
So the ring was either with Val, or hidden in Annuminas, or hidden in Rivendell.

3. Isildur put on the Ring and disappeared, hiding somewhere with the Ring, as he didn't want to destroy the Ring or surrender it to the Elves.

4. Isildur put on the Ring and reached the other, West bank, remaining invisible. Here he was met by some Calaquendi Elves, or Elrond, or Cirdan, or Galadriel who saw him regardless of his invisibility, and quitely killed him, and took the Ring. (Olmer's theory )In this case the Ring was in Rivendell, or in Lindon, less likely in Lorien or Belfalas, guarded by Elves.

What do you think on all this, o King? And ye all?

Last edited by Gordis : 09-17-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #578
Telcontar_Dunedain

I like Theory Number Two, myself. Is Aiwndis going to have and interview with the Chancellor aswell, even though he is her 'Dad'?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #579
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nope, Aiwendis and the Chancellor can discuss her choices of classes in private .
What should she take? Aiwendis is very well educated already, but her "father" thinks that she is sadly ignorant of Commerce. Aiwendis is really upset.
Some Wine-Tasting also, perhaps?

As for the theories, we shall discuss them later, on a secret wraith meeting. Khamul may defend no 2...
Old 09-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #580
Telcontar_Dunedain

Gor, is there another purpose of me being Prof of Oriental Languages, because no body seems to be taking it?

Closed Thread