Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #561
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Nurv, you really don't get what I am saying

By the way, I just realised you made a reply to me in this post. Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
The Bible is against Christians practicing other religions at the same time. I think. I mean, if we say that we are Christian and commit to worshipping God, we can't go around also worshipping Enki. I do have a small hammer of Thor carved of stone though. But I don't worship it.

I doubt the Bible, which contains the commandment to love thy neighbour, is actively opposed to the beliefs of other people. Jesus Christ was a Jew for His entire life, don't forget. I doubt he had a problem with Judaism. He did take issue with some of the practices of some of the high ranking Jewish leaders of the time but Judaism itself is no problem. This is an example of what I believe is crucial religious tolerance inherant to Christianity.
Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

It is a vain practice according to god's own word. Every Xmas we bow down before the tree to get our gifts. I think the catholic church has us coming & going at the same time!

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #562
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think you have an extreme view of religion in general. Obviously, this is not one that I share.

I'm not sure why you single out Catholics in your post though. Celebrating Jesus's birth in winter with a decorated tree of Pagan origin is a fine and lovely tradition practiced by most Christians.

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #563
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

The Borgias (yep thats right, I study a lot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
I think you have an extreme view of religion in general. Obviously, this is not one that I share.

I'm not sure why you single out Catholics in your post though. Celebrating Jesus's birth in winter with a decorated tree of Pagan origin is a fine and lovely tradition practiced by most Christians.

Only because I believe the catholic church is the root of all evil and the pope is the devil:

Here follows proof connecting the Borgia family with not just the renaissance' redux image of Yahawashi (covering up of the faces of the judges) but the actual enslavement of the israelites through out the world. Suggesting an organized vicious attack on the israelites not to mention the vindictive and sadistic coming of columbus to the "new world," as they went so far as to cross the Atlantic ocean, to make sure non of us, would escape them. (the indians are the lost tribes, the northern kingdom of Israel which was scattered by the assyrian army)."The History of The American Indians" by James Adaire.

Moors surrender of Granada (I believe the moors are actually Israelites - calling them moors is a historical lie)

In 1489, Muhammad XII was summoned by Ferdinand [of Aragon] and Isabella to surrender the city of Granada, and on his refusal it was besieged by the Castilians. Eventually, on 2 January 1492, Granada was surrendered. In most sumptuous attire the royal procession moved from Santa Fe to a place a little more than a mile from Granada, where Ferdinand took up his position by the banks of the Genil. A private letter written by an eyewitness to the bishop of León only six days after the event recorded the scene.

With the royal banners and the cross of Christ plainly visible on the red walls of the Alhambra: ...the Moorish king with about eighty or a hundred on horseback very well dressed went forth to kiss the hand of their Highnesses. Whom they received with much love and courtesy and there they handed over to him his son, who had been a hostage from the time of his capture, and as they stood there, there came about four hundred captives, of this who were in the enclosure, with the cross and a solemn procession singing the Te Deum Laudamus, and their highnesses dismounted to adore the Cross to the accompaniment of the tears and reverential devotion of the crowd, not least of the Cardinal and Master of Santiago and the Duke of Cadiz and all the other grandees and gentlemen and people who stood there, and there was no one who did not weep abundantly with pleasure giving thanks to Our Lord for what they saw, for they could not keep back the tears; and the Moorish King and the Moors who were with him for their part could not disguise the sadness and pain they felt for the joy of the Christians, and certainly with much reason on account of their loss, for Granada is the most distinguished and chief thing in the world...

Christopher Columbus seems to have been present; he refers to the surrender on the first page of his Diario de las Derrotas y Caminos.

Christopher Columbus was there!!!!

Expulsion of the Jews from Sicily:

I came to this revelation after reading the article, Expulsion of the Jews from Sicily given above. The article said that the jews were expelled from italy in 1492. I wondered at this year because I remember some significants. 1492 was there in blue within the article so I clicked on it. 1492 is the year Columbus (the demon) came to the Americas...wow!!! (the events of that year are listed-must read). At the bottom of the article it talks about how the jews were waving to their former neighbors as they were taken away on "ships!!!!" (Duet. 28:68)

GMS (my teachers) taught that 1000's of black slaves came from Spain yet they do not teach that in schools. Here is the proof; Cardinal Roderigo Borgia became Pope Alexander VI in 1492. in July 1497 Cesare Borgia his son (who dared to pose for the new image of jesus during the renaissance) went to Naples as papal legate and crowned Frederick of Aragon and his wife Isabella with the title of "Catholic King and Queen."The title was bestowed on them by Pope Alexander VI. I believe as a reward for the capturing of Granada in 1492 and the expulsion of the jews from Italy, Spain and subsequently, europe in general.

The pope under the osposis of the "Catholic King and Queen" sent Columbus and coming from Spain he most likely had israelite slaves when he first came to the Americas from Europe and not from Africa.

Psalms 83:2-7

More proof, Cardinal Roderigo Borgia (Cesar's father) became Pope Alexander VI in 1492.

More on the Borgias.

Cesare Borgia.

Moe on Cesare Borgia, the scum of the earth.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-01-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #564
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
So, remember that paper I was writing on the appeal and danger of mysticism? I finally got around to writing it today, and I'm just finishing it up, so if anyone wants to read it I'll PM it to you or something. I know Inked said you wanted to read it, right? It's not the best paper ever, but it might be interesting. If anyone can point out any factual errors (or grammar, for that matter) by Monday when I turn it in, that would be good too.
Oh, yes. PM it pronto and I'll read it. I'm not showing any PMs active now!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #565
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion View Post
Every Xmas we bow down before the tree to get our gifts.
Dude. You must have the weirdest Christmas EVER! You bow down before a Christmas tree? What religion was that, like, Baptist, Jehovah's Witness, Presbyterian? I've been in an awful lot of churches, and people's homes at Christmas, and no one ever worshiped a tree, (who didn't ordinarily, lol,) and they don't worship the socks on the mantle, either.

Quote:
Only because I believe the catholic church is the root of all evil and the pope is the devil
Well, that's that, then. *shakes head*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #566
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Telcontarion, it's awfully indecent of you to base so much of your view on Alexander VI. I have held the view for about as long as I've been Catholic that he was the worst, most depraved pope we ever had. But we've had hundreds of wonderful popes. So you're basically using a microscope to look at a flee on a sheep's back, and in so doing are missing the appearance of all the rest of the sheep.

You're missing all the obvious good that so many of the popes did in works of charity, in piety, and in creating peace between nations. You're emphasizing and talking about only what is either evil or controversial in the modern context, and are ignoring the great good that most popes committed themselves too. Do you have anything to say about John Paul II, Benedict XVI, or Pius X? For the first 200 years of Christian history, every bishop of Rome was martyred for his faith. The intensity of their devotion (and the devotion of so many other popes throughout history) to Christ and to Christian virtue is clear and only disputed by some Protestant fanatics who try to paint with black tar almost everything associated with Catholicism.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-01-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #567
The Telcontarion

To hell with the pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
Telcontarion, it's awfully indecent of you to base so much of your view on Alexander VI....But we've had hundreds of wonderful popes. So you're basically using a microscope to look at a flee on a sheep's back, and in so doing are missing the appearance of all the rest of the sheep.

"The Catholic Church is, to say the least, defensive about the Borgias and their immediate successors. It claims that the Church was, like everyone else, victimized by the family and by other unscrupulous families that followed in the Papacy."

My point is most of the pope leading up to and especially after the Borgias (the scummy edomite devils that they were) were Machiavellian gangsters, along with their other, "contemporaries"...

"Like many of his contemporaries, Cesare Borgia was unscrupulous, treacherous, and cruel toward his political rivals. He was the prototype of the political hero portrayed in The Prince (1513) by the Italian political philosopher Niccolò Machiavelli..."

"The Catholic Church supported capture and enslavement of blacks with a series of 15th- and 16th-century papal documents, particularly letters of the crusading Pope Nicholas V which gave Catholic powers — Spain and Portugal — authority to conquer, invade and enslave the peoples of West Africa and the Americas."

"Popes owned slaves, religious orders owned slaves."

Quote:
[b]Do you have anything to say about John Paul II, Benedict XVI, or Pius X? For the first 200 years of Christian history, every bishop of Rome was martyred for his faith.
Yeah, I can say something about them, they were all scum. The reason why the first popes were so pious was because they, starting with Constantine were jews. My singular and continuous point is that it all got corrupted and taken over by the enemies of the first founders and disciples. From which point history was rewritten; like I said, scum.

"A strange and bewildering family, the Borgias. Eleven cardinals of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Three popes. A queen of England. A saint. A family with long tentacles, beginning in the Fourteenth Century in Spain, and reaching through the history of Fifteenth and Sixteenth Century Italy, Spain, and France. Greed, murder, incest. And --- strangely --- piety.

Such is the legacy of the Borgia family that established itself in one of Italy's most glorious periods, and that, in many ways, dominated the Renaissance with power and intrigue for fifty years. In a number of ways, it was a heritage whose influence on Church and State was felt for two hundred years.

Of this notorious family, four members in particular are remembered, if only vaguely, as remarkable examples of greed and evil. Two were popes: Calixtus III (Alonso Borgia) and Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia). Another, Cesare Borgia, was, for a time, a cardinal, elevated to that position by his acknowledged father, Alexander VI, and later, after leaving holy orders, a murderous and ruthless duke. The fourth member has become a metaphor for feminine evil: Lucrezia Borgia, sister of Cesare."

In all the articles that I presented one theme is universal, while the Borgias was the worst of the lot, they were by no means the exception.

The catholic church is a disgusting, reprobate, degernerate and warped lie.

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-02-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #568
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Tel, the great difference between your God and my God appears to be that yours is a God of Hate, whereas the Catholic deity is a God of Love. In the posts you've been submitting in this thread, you've been constantly talking about what God hates. Post 507, he hates Nurv and all practices of all other religions, post 495, he curses the Jews and torments them throughout their history, post 493, he hates Thanksgiving, Christmas and Halloween, post 459, he hates the wicked Catholic Church, post 433, he is condemning us posters to Hell, post 422, he is condemning all people that aren't genetically Israelite to Hell and only offered a chance at salvation to Israelites, also post 422, America is Babylon the Great, and as such is hated by God, in other posts, he hates the flesh, he hates the body . . . . hatred, evil and judgment appear to be the dominant themes of your religion.

The Catholic deity (whom we believe to be the only God) is not a God of Hatred. He is a God of Love. He loves you, Tel, and he loves Nurv. He loves the practices of other religions insofar as they are united with truth and love (he simply does not and cannot love evil itself), he loves the Jews and feels for them with great compassion in the suffering of their race, and he offers them his mercy. We believe that one day they will, as a people, take that offered mercy. God loves the holidays, he loves the Gentiles, he loves America and the other countries, he loves our bodies, he loves the posters on Entmoot and doesn't condemn them to Hell but calls every one of them, Christian and non-Christian, to join him in Heaven. He loves the popes, he loves the Catholic Church, and he loves the entire world.

He does hate evil, but he shows mercy to the many who commit evil to bring as many souls as he possibly can into Heaven, into the perfection of everlasting bliss. His nature is love, and his love can be seen everywhere in the world, in every act of charity by every Gentile Hindu, in every parent who gives candies to passing trick-er-treaters, and in every atheist couple that works through their marital problems with self-sacrifice, rather than submitting to those problems and breaking their union in divorce. God's love is visible in every tree, in every bush and blade of grass, in the heavens and the seas, and in every human face. Even God's judgments are expressions of his love, endeavors to turn the humans he punishes away from eternal self-destruction, "for a father disciplines those he loves." And if he did not, they would grow up pampered brats. Humans are exactly the same, so God treats us with mercy when he can do so without harming us, as a good parent does, and other times he punishes us because to do so may draw us back into love and perfect us in goodness.

We Catholics worship one God, a God of Love and not a God of Hate. That is the great difference between your religion and mine. Your gaze is set on a god of violence who tortures people and hates them. Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is fair, whatever is pure, whatever is acceptable, whatever is commendable, if there is anything of excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy-keep thinking about these things." So dwell on what is good and what is good will grow before your eyes, like bread with yeast.

Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." We are called to build one another up, not to tear one another down, to create unity through love, not division through hate.

So let us love, in Christ, indiscriminately. And may love be all that lives in our hearts and the only thing that exists in our minds or tongues. That is why I love the Eucharist strongly. It is incarnate Love, "the source and summit of the Christian life" (Vatican II). To eat it is to eat Love and is to become one with Love in every sense. The Eucharist is Love, and as such it is the very heart, the deepest lifeblood of Catholicism, the centerpoint of our religious devotion above which there is nothing at all. It is above and beyond all things, and in it all things have meaning and existence. The Eucharist is the living Sacred Heart of Jesus; it is Love.

Unity with Love is also the entirety of the meaning of Heaven, to Catholics . For Heaven's meaning is unity to God, and unity to God is unity with Love.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-02-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #569
The Telcontarion

*sigh* you so set yourself up

Quote:
Tel, the great difference between your God and my God appears to be that yours is a God of Hate, whereas the Catholic deity is a God of Love.
What is love? I have told you before that love is the law. Give me scripture to back up what you are saying.

Quote:
Even God's judgments are expressions of his love, endeavors to turn the humans he punishes away from eternal self-destruction, "for a father disciplines those he loves."
This is the same candy of truth I gave before, just presented in another, more pleasing wrapper. Do you know the gravity of what you are doing, twisting the words of the bible is a very serious thing.

Quote:
And if he did not, they would grow up pampered brats. Humans are exactly the same, so God treats us with mercy when he can do so without harming us, as a good parent does, and other times he punishes us because to do so may draw us back into love and perfect us in goodness.
Ahhh...again same as I said before. He punishes us to draw us back to love, which is the law.

Quote:
Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is fair, whatever is pure, whatever is acceptable, whatever is commendable, if there is anything of excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy-keep thinking about these things." So dwell on what is good and what is good will grow before your eyes, like bread with yeast.
What is true, honorable, fair, etc? The word of god. What is good is the word of god taught "faithfully," not talking about tricker treaters and hindus/heathen.

Quote:
His nature is love, and his love can be seen everywhere in the world, in every act of charity by every Gentile Hindu, in every parent who gives candies to passing trick-er-treaters,
Show me that in scripture.

Quote:
Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." We are called to build one another up, not to tear one another down, to create unity through love, not division through hate.
Unwholesome talk is talking about trick-er-treaters and Hindus are OK with god. What people need is the word, not "vain babblings." Nothing you are teaching is going to benefit anyone. All you speak of is hate, if it was love in a wicked world it would look like this:

Matthew 10:35
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Why:

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

So:

Proverbs 8:32-33
32 Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. 33 Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.

All these people in the world you want to love and yet they donot have the love/word of god:

1 John 3:1
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Quote:
That is why I love the Eucharist strongly. It is incarnate Love, "the source and summit of the Christian life" (Vatican II). To eat it is to eat Love and is to become one with Love in every sense. The Eucharist is Love,
Wow...you know that practice is pagan, you know exactly what you are promoting in the guise of christianity. The last supper was a passover dinner, which you should always do as part of gods law. So when jesus said do this in rememberance of me he only gave them another reason to observe it as he, as I have shown, is the fulfilment of the law:

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Quote:
Unity with Love is also the entirety of the meaning of Heaven, to Catholics . For Heaven's meaning is unity to God, and unity to God is unity with Love.
Whatever man...I suggest you repent...

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-02-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #570
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
...Again, whole heartedly. For me the intent of the author is paramount as mine is the study of the human condition. To read and derive meaning from a literary work is an understanding based solely on one perspective, your own. Which does not lend to a greater understanding of the different perspectives and intents possible, which leads to greater understanding in general.

If I read JRRT's letters, his interviews and even his academic lectures I will come to comprehend much of his own perspective, i.e. the embedded biases and affections of the author. Leading to a greater and a even more profound revelation, of the meanings behind the words he actually wrote.
But I don't read fantasy fiction about elves and dragons to "study the human condition."

That would be ridiculous.

And, returning to the topic of this thread, more or less, the only way you could study the "intent" behind the text of the Gospels would be to imagine it. Or, more properly, to support its inerrancy and THEN guess. If you had God's exact understanding, you wouldn't need an instruction manual. If you believe the Bible is The Word Of God, and inerrant, and complete, then you can do your failable best to follow instructions, which is a complicated enough business, knowing you would fail and praying for mercy. Because your own understanding will not get you there. Ever.

Because that would be ridiculous.

HOWever, if you believe the Bible was written by men, inspired by God to try to give people a guideline for living a just life, and that men, being merely men, had good days and bad days in this attempt, you can study the Bible and try to learn something. If you think, "God would not depend solely on these dweebs, with their biases and confusions, to get us information as important as how to live justly, I'll bet he left information on it all over." then you can also study other works and traditions, and try to figure out what THEY heard about this. AND you can look at verses like "love your neighbor as yourself" and "Seeth not the kid in its mother's milk" and traditions like religious vegetarianism and think, "hum. God seems to have some notion that random killing and cruelty are kinda bad."

And THEN you pray for mercy.

Because thinking you're so smart you don't need that is a sucker's bet.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #571
The Telcontarion

Aaaaah...SACA has a new favorite word or is it a limited vocabulary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
But I don't read fantasy fiction about elves and dragons to "study the human condition."

That would be ridiculous.
I guess their are no humans in these books eh? Even if there weren't, it still was written by a human. Human condition is anyones study who decides to read any novel. Can you say, human drama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
And, returning to the topic of this thread, more or less, the only way you could study the "intent" behind the text of the Gospels would be to imagine it. Or, more properly, to support its inerrancy and THEN guess. If you had God's exact understanding, you wouldn't need an instruction manual. If you believe the Bible is The Word Of God, and inerrant, and complete, then you can do your failable best to follow instructions, which is a complicated enough business, knowing you would fail and praying for mercy. Because your own understanding will not get you there. Ever.

Because that would be ridiculous.
The bible tells you to know it, is to know god.

Oh...I don't think I am smart, I know I am.

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-03-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #572
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

George Carlin and the Ten Commandments

"There is this thing that kinda bugs the s*** out of me. The Ten Commandments, you know.
Listen, here's my problem: Why are there ten? You don't need ten.
I think the list of commandments was deliberately and artificially inflated to get it up to ten.. It's a patted list! And here's what they did:

About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people, how to keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told so they announced that God had given them some commandments. Up on a mountain.. when nooooone was around.. God had given them the Ten Commandments.

But let me ask you this.. when they were sitting around making this s*** up, why did they pick ten? Why ten? Why not nine? Or elleven? I'll tell you why: Because ten sounds official. Ten sounds important! They knew if it was elleven people wouldn't take it seriously:
"Say what are you kidding me? The elleven commandments? Get the f*** out of here!"
But ten.. ten sounds important. Ten is the basis for the decimal system. It's a decade. It's a psychologically satisfying number. The top ten! The ten most wanted! The ten best dressed. So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision.

To me it's clearly a bulls*** list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better.. And I'm going to show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that is a little more workable and logical.

We're going to start with the first three and I'll use the Roman Catholic version because that is the one that I was taught when I was a little boy.
"I am thy Lord thou shalt not have strange Gods before me", "Thou shalt not take the name of thy Lord thy God in vain", "Thou shalt keep holy the Sabbath".
Right off the bat, the first three... pure bulls***. Sabbath day, Lord's name, strange Gods.. spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way do supersticious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century! You drop the first three commandments.. Swish!... You're down to seven.

Next: "Honour thy father and mother"... obedience.. respect for authority. Just another name for controlling people! The truth is obedience and respect should not be automatic. They should be earned. They should be based on the parents performance. You're down to six.

Now in the interest of logic, something religion is very uncomfortable with, we're going to jump around the list a little bit: "Thou shalt not steal", "Thou shalt not bear false witness".. stealing.. and lying. Actually these two both prohibit the same kind of behaviour: dishonesty. Stealing and lying. So you don't need two of them: instead you combine them and call it "Thou shalt not be dishonest".. and suddenly!.. you're down to five.

Since we're combining here I have two others that belong together. "Thou shalt not commit adultery", "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife". Once again.. these two prohibit the same kind of behaviour: in this case marital infidelity. The difference is coveting takes place in the mind. So let's call it "Thou shalt not be unfaithful". What do we have? Four.

But when you think about it! Honesty and fidelity are really part of the same overall value. So in truth you could combine the two honesty commandments with the two fidelity commandments and give them simpler language, positive language instead of negative, and call the whole thing "Thou shalt always be honest and faithful" and.. we're down to three.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goods". This one is just plain ****ing stupid. Coveting your neighbours goods is what keeps the economy going. Your neighbour gets a vibrator that plays "Oh come on ye faithful".. you want to get one too! Coveting creates jobs.. leave it alone.

You throw out coveting and your down to two now. The big honesty and fidelity commandment, and the one we haven't talked about yet: "Thou shalt not kill".. murder. The fifth commandment.
But when you think about it.. religion has never really had a big problem with murder! Not really. More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Kashmir, the Inquisition, the Crusades and the World Trade Centers to see how seriously the religious folks take "Thou shalt not kill": The more devout they are the more they see murder as being negotiable. It's negotiable. You know? It depends. It depends on who's doing the killing and who's getting killed.

So, with all of this in mind I leave you with my revised list of the Two Commandments: "Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie" and "Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to another, different invisible man from the one you pray to"!
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #573
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland
*bites tongue, *coughNorthernIrelandisapoliticalnotareligiousconf lictbasedonissuesofnationalistidentityandirredenti smcough*

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #574
The Telcontarion

I think god is funnier than George Carlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
George Carlin and the Ten Commandments

But let me ask you this.. when they were sitting around making this s*** up, why did they pick ten? Why ten? Why not nine? Or elleven? I'll tell you why: Because ten sounds official. Ten sounds important! They knew if it was elleven people wouldn't take it seriously:
"Say what are you kidding me? The elleven commandments? Get the f*** out of here!"
There is actually over 600 laws, the ten are only the principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
...religion has never really had a big problem with murder! Not really. More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Kashmir, the Inquisition, the Crusades and the World Trade Centers to see how seriously the religious folks take "Thou shalt not kill": The more devout they are the more they see murder as being negotiable. It's negotiable. You know? It depends. It depends on who's doing the killing and who's getting killed.
There is a lot more to be killed too:

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

I see you're comfortable enough to make lite of such a serious topic. You are at ease, your belly is full or is it your wallet? You like to laugh eh? You like to make jokes? Guess what, me too and so does the most high:

Luke 6:25
Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

Pray your not on the list to recieve that sword. Told you I got jokes too....

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-03-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: just to let someone know that god is funnier than carlin
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #575
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm not really sure what stand-up comedians belong on the Theology thread...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #576
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I'm not really sure what stand-up comedians belong on the Theology thread...
Most, I'd think. Comedy is usually a search for meaning, isn't it?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #577
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
*bites tongue, *coughNorthernIrelandisapoliticalnotareligiousconf lictbasedonissuesofnationalistidentityandirredenti smcough*
More people have been killed by Communists and Socialists and allegedly atheistic regimes in the 20th Century than all religious persecution killing in the history of the world.

It's not true that religious folk have done the most. Stalin alone makes the Crusades on both sides look like daycare for 1 yr olds.

Hmm.. the quote thingy didn't work right. I was attempting the quote that Curufin was correcting.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-03-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarification
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #578
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Tel, I don't see a point to responding. You've made up your mind, and scriptures countering your position clearly can't convince you.

On another topic . . .

Here's an insightful article comparing the persecutions of non-religious regimes with those of religious governments, in tallies of death. I found it quite a good read. It made several points I'd not thought of, though I bet you have in most cases, inked.

http://catholiceducation.org/article...ics/ap0214.htm

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-04-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #579
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
There is actually over 600 laws, the ten are only the principle.

There is a lot more to be killed too:

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

I see you're comfortable enough to make lite of such a serious topic. You are at ease, your belly is full or is it your wallet? You like to laugh eh? You like to make jokes? Guess what, me too and so does the most high:

Luke 6:25
Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

Pray your not on the list to recieve that sword. Told you I got jokes too....
Uh, Tel, that's not funny. Just a bit spooky.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #580
The Telcontarion

*hehehehehehehe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Sullivan View Post
Uh, Tel, that's not funny. Just a bit spooky.
*Lightning flashing, thunder crackles & roars - as I laugh with insane glee, outdoing the most deranged mad scientist*