Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #561
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Because those posts dealt with their characters only. The rest of us were mentioned in the passing of information which they believed their characters were justified in having. They did not invite edit requests for those posts and were very likely surprised that the posts got the reaction they did. This put them on the defensive, and things went downhill from there.
LMM, yes, I was surprised that what I wrote got any reaction at all. Everything I said was innoculous. This RPG will go downhill and eventually be called to a halt by the moderators if this continual arguing goes on. Take it private, take it quiet, take it polite. I cannot even figure out what this current flare up is about.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 AM   #562
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Good greif, that makes two of us buddy...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #563
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Good greif, that makes two of us buddy...
Pal, I'll drink to that! I don't have a clue.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 AM   #564
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I'll drink to that too. I only jumped in because I was hoping to calm it down before everyone came on and started being angry again...
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #565
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I ALMOST did a temporary pre-emptive closing of this thread 3-4 hours ago. Perhaps I should have - I thought things might calm back down, but they did not.

Please do not post in here 'with a chip on your shoulder' - those kinds of things will lead to an argument.

An argument will lead to a shut-down. If severe enough, it will not be temporary. This extends to the game as well as the discussion thread.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #566
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Lmm, Udu, serves us right for not looking before we leap!

*toasts*

Anyways, I have to laugh at these little flare ups. Its like a really bad soap opera. On Entmoot.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 AM   #567
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
And Rian, so what about the post count; I don't care about the friggin' post count, O.K.? Whatever.
It's obvious you DO care about the post count, since you've mentioned it multiple times, like this:

Quote:
Well, it IS a bit much, and sometimes a bit overwhelming. I suggested several times in the past that we all stick to one story post per 24 hours, to keep the playing field even, and to make it flow better and whatnot, but Rian didn't seem to be hip on the idea, and no one else seemed to have an opinion one way or the other.
I thought you might be pleased to see that I'm doing less than one a day, but since you don't care about it now, I just won't worry about it anymore. No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
He is good enough to bother, I believe there was hesitation in addressing his most recent post because it seemed to be addressed directly to Gordis and Udu and because it was exactly the type of post that starts these arguments.
EXACTLY!!!!! Of COURSE BB is good enough to "bother" with - as I wrote in my post, I really really like him and his posts. I was trying to stop another argument, that's all - I saw your "mad" smilie, Lotesse, and was trying to stop yet another argument.

Quote:
I think what needs to happen is not more discussion. We all know that we need to respect eachother, we all know that we need to and are entitled to contribute to the story, and we know that when writing significant interactions with other people's characters it is polite to give the other person a chance to request an edit.

What needs to happen is for people to stop abusing that right to request edits and to move with the story.

I think some advice we should keep in mind when playing here is the first rule of improvisation, which I've posted before but deserves repetition.

Always say yes.

As this is writing and not acting it is permissible to say no when there is absolutely no way you can work with what you've been given, but in all other circumstances, just ignore the edit button and go with it. It really is pointless to argue about details in posts that were made two pages ago. It wastes both time and space. Don't do it.
Great advice. Sounds good to me. Let's go with it! Votes, everyone? I'm for it! Maggie's for it! Anyone else?

Quote:
However, from what I've seen, it is not every post that gets nitpicked, in fact, it isn't remotely close to every post.
Good observation. EXACTLY right.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-15-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #568
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I dunno, I still have to laugh about it... Nitpick or no nitpick, some of the arguments are just plain silly! What a buncha primadonas sometimes...you know who you are.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #569
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*stupid double posting internet connection*

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-15-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:34 AM   #570
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

you're repeating yourself, Shah ...

(dumb repeat posts!)

Anyway, now to the IMPORTANT stuff -

UDU!!! did you get a chance to listen to that music clip from the lament about the books? I hope so! And I hope you liked it! I can't find the words in English, only in Gaelic, sorry! Did anyone get to listen to it? I know Gordis was trying, but having computer issues.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 12-15-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 AM   #571
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
UDU!!! did you get a chance to listen to that music clip from the lament about the books? I hope so! And I hope you liked it! I can't find the words in English, only in Gaelic, sorry! Did anyone get to listen to it? I know Gordis was trying, but having computer issues.
No, Rian, unfortunately I was not successful at getting it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #572
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Meanwhile, I'm not quite done with Tuesday. I'll go ahead and throw in a place-holder and try to fill it very soon. I'll probably have something else to post later as well.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #573
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Can someone please respond to Butterbeer's post that he made just now? Why does he have to be ignored?
As I said already, I will NOT endanger this thread by another argument. The tone of the letter in question calls for it. So, if BB, or anyone else, is concerned about my "hypocrisy", please either address me personally by PM, or, if you crave to make it public, start another thread in the General messages : "Is Gordis a hypocrite?" Let this thread be closed, if it gets too hot, not the RPG.

I will say but one more thing, about the maps.
I have made them, and the time and effort it took me makes me VERY attached to this game.

In all fairness, have I not asked EVERYONE where they wish to live? Have I not placed LMM's forge, Earniel's and Shah’s houses and BB's watchtower, barge and the Singing Swan EXACTLY as I was asked to?
Have I not consulted with the Good Architect Valandil and with ALL the rest of you?

And have I EVER asked BB to edit HIS posts?

But well... That is all I wished to say. Thanks to all who tried to cool things down. Let's stop arguing and start posting.

Rian , I couldn’t play the music file. Udu, seemingly, couldn’t either. Hmm…Probably it is impossible on a Mac. I shall try when I get to a PC.

Val , I placed a holder right below yours. Perhaps I will need it, if you post what I think you will post. Otherwise, I will ask you to delete it. OK?

Now it seems we are through with Monday. Tuesday is on us.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #574
Rían

Udu and Gordis - Sorry you couldn't hear the music It's really lovely.

And thank you again, Gordis, for all your work on the maps and schedules and things. It certainly adds a lot to the rpg!

I have now started Tuesday, and look forward to everyone's posts

Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #575
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
And thank you again, Gordis, for all your work on the maps and schedules and things. It certainly adds a lot to the rpg!
It was a pleasure for me (why would I do that otherwise?) and also a necessity. I can't play without maps: I am "organised" this way. So, really, no thanks needed, though it feels good to have them, I admit.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #576
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Huzzah for gordos, cause if she wasnt here, we'd probably redraw the boundries of Tharbad till it resembled something more like an ameboa! (spelling?)
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #577
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

YES, in fact yesterday right before BB's post in here went up, I was gonna say - I am VERY impressed all the time with the amount of careful and considerate time & attention to little cool details and stuff that Gordis does on all our maps; I LOVE those maps. I think BB might have been just picking on whatever extra points he could to pile up on the vitriol. I don't at all agree with how he has beef about the map-making, because it's not like anyone else around here has dedicated the time and energy to provide us with such detailed maps. What would we do without them?? Those maps are the bomb. Thank you so much to our Evil Cartographer for them! Many thanx.

I guess Shah's right; it DOES get like a bad soap opera here sometimes. i just wanted to support BB on some points I felt may have gone unresolved with him, because sometimes it seems certain issues here from certain people get REALLY glossed over and go unresolved, but it's true that this stuf should be a PM thing & probably I should quit trying to back people up, and just kep my mouth shut.

Thank you also to Lady M, who's cool-headed and kind and well-put words of reason in here always help things so very much.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #578
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*leaps on Lotesse, only to miss cause she logged off* Dern it woman! you are getting to be as bad about this as me!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #579
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Maps are good, and very much appreciated.

Glad I was making sense to you all.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #580
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

with respect to all here, i think you are kinda missing the point i was making: i said doing the maps et al (which, indeed are very good, useful and have obviously taken time to do - and i for one certainly appreciate the time taken to do them) is one thing - i.e to spell it out just to avoid any confusion :

i.e. seperate entirely from the following point:

but that it is an entirely different a thing and does not mean that it should be a unilateral decision about the landscapes or worlds we create: i.e. what we decide to put in them

a clear demarkation about the good work creating the maps and having final and total unilateral say on what we decided should go into the maps: i.e the world of tharbad, the flora or fauna, the look and feel of the rpg world, etc etc.

It did rather follow on from my point that i felt certain rpg-ers views and opinions are considered of no value or second rate and are just ignored by certain others here.

For example both lotesse and i had a valid concern on the scope (not the existence or ideas of a few spies - but the sheer scope as implied by everything being seen and everything being heard in first person everywhere, everytime in udu's original post) of the scene ... yet were pooh-poohed, yet read Gordis's completely PUBLIC stuff in here and her very heavily loaded questions regarding spies (which bore no relation to the REAL issue at hand - though to be fair made me smile - because i would have done exactly the same thing ) - not to mention the thinly veiled attacks on me, barbs, accusations of hurling insults (all untrue) - non of which again i point out in fairness via PM - for someone so upset about it, again she will not do what she preaches - i have received no pm from her about any issues she has - yet go read the disc thread back ... it's all in here folks!

anyway - despite mine and lotesse's concerns - IGNORED - Gor actually says she only edited because LMM asked her too -

so, yes my concern very much is that players are systematically being excluded, their opinions being glossed over, ignored -
take yesterday, UDU posted sometime (plenty of time to have seen it) after my post regarding my concerns, he was the very next poster and blithely ignored it!

If an issue needs dealing with - to be put to bed - it does not go away by ignoring it until it festers ...

Gor just sitting there seething, not talking to me, udu ignoring me and obviously having an issue yet not pm'ing about it - then not willing to discuss it in public either - how is this going to help?

Gor has had her say here in public - why then cannot i reply to that?

I personally felt these absurd accusations of being rude, insulting people, etc are hurtful and frankly inaccurate - eg the maybe bit ... i thougfht that was funny ..maybe little bo peep will marry valandil ????... maybe the little boy down the lane is an expert nazgul hunter? ???

I said i thought udu's comment was stupid - not him ... and it was frankly (again, no offence there udu ) ... or are we blindly ignoring the same bit where i say i am more suprised you don't see the objection because you two are intelligent etc???

but no Gor and udu themselves wanted to argue - what would have been the harm in a "ok ..i'll have a look at it" ???

well, thankyou, lotesse for your support it is appreciated - though, no, in point of fact i did not merely want to add vitriol - i considered it again, to be abreach of rpg ettiquette to assume the role of creator by singlehandedly determining the flora, fauna, landscapes, feel and look of the rpg world - and i stress again - that is entirely another thing from the great work done creating the maps which reflect and portray (not determine) the rpg world of tharbad.

Yes, indeed, the watch tower, barli's house, the swan etc ... all very well done - again my thanks.

Even tpoday Gor dictates that Monday is over and it is now tuesday ... well, have you asked everyone? is that ok with all?

We already know valandil has monday stuff to do ... ..er. Val ..that's MONDAY

is not udu to meet up for the dancing girls? Will not the chancellor be there as previously stated? Jas? bumble?

Maybe the guv and barli will nose on over?

Or is it now NOT a joint rpg as we all thought but merely at gor's whim?

Gor - you can't keep on ignoring things or people and thus disrespecting people and then attempt just do as you like in a joint / group rpg - esp if you wish others to alter many many things - and expect you won't get even a little bo peep out of them!

Either agree to discuss your problems here or pm me since you obviously have an issue - but doing neither is not going to get anywhere is it?

well, i hope that clarifies the map thing ...

as for a silly argument - either gor discusses it or she pm's ...but doing nothing but sit and seeth and ignore people and their concerns or ideas is not going to help this rpg or anyone, is it?

best BB
Closed Thread