Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #561
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I've got to hand it to you guys for never shying away from a massively contentious arguement, but what in the name of almighty Bob* has this got to do with a science thread? There's an Abortion thread and countless My Narrow Minded Politics Kick The Ass Of Yours threads and there should probably also be a similarly-themed religion thread to clear it all out of the way of the other threads. It is all important, before someone decides to have a pop at me, but it's not meant to be here, is it?

OK, diatribe over

*H2G2
Old 11-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #562
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
but what in the name of almighty Bob* has this got to do with a science thread?
Inked has one hammer so everything looks like a nail.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #563
inked
Elf Lord

BJ has a sledge hammer and everything looks like a spike!

Did anyone else read SCIENCE NEWS this issue and see the short note about the fossilised snake found in Colombia that

AT A MINIMUM

was 12 meters long and so wide of breadth that it couldn't enter a standard doorway

and weighed at least a metric ton or more?

WAY COOL!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #564
inked
Elf Lord

Here's the link:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._largest_snake
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #565
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Astounding. Wonder what it ate... Reminds of the super croc and of course megalodon.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #566
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Or Beelzebufo...

The idea that the snake “would have had trouble fitting though the door into your office" is quite .

Thanks for sharing the article, Inked, I had not heard anything about it yet.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #567
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, pix of exoplanets at last?

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS
Old 11-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #568
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Spanish woman gets a new windpipe grown from her own stem cells:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7735696.stm

6 months on, it's grown its own blood supply and shows no sign of rejection.

The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #569
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Another great thing done with adult stem cells!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #570
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Oh please, no, not another religious debate.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #571
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm not starting one, Gaffer. I just wish that more money would go towards adult stem cell research - it's by FAR the most promising, and there are NO ethical problems with it. They've had some amazing results with it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #572
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, Rian. It seems that holding out for other than embryonic stem cells has demonstrated that there are other modalities which work very, very well.

See, real science and real results in real stem cells from where they have always come from, real people.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #573
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Please point out one instance in which a person who favours embryonic stem cell research has said that we should NOT do research on adult stem cells as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #574
inked
Elf Lord

SIX WAYS TO BUILD ROBOTS THAT DO HUMANS NO HARM

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ef=online-news

Old 11-21-2008, 01:48 AM   #575
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Please point out one instance in which a person who favours embryonic stem cell research has said that we should NOT do research on adult stem cells as well.
Why should I? And you're the one debating, not me.
I just wanted to point out the reality that adult stem cells are doing great, and if people have a chance to vote an opinion on where research dollars go (embryonic vs adult), they should realize this. I think too often people equate "stem cell" with "embryonic stem cell", not realizing that it's the adult stem cell research that has made all this incredible progress.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #576
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

(Not aimed at you, that comment) That just comes across to me as cynical. "Oh, here's a chance to push my agenda", rather than "hooray, research bears fruit". Inked even tries to claim the credit.

You'll note that it was someone who wants to see both lines well-funded that put the link up.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #577
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I think too often people equate "stem cell" with "embryonic stem cell", not realizing that it's the adult stem cell research that has made all this incredible progress.
What a strange idea. I thought since only adult stem cell research is possible in the USA it would have been the reverse... The article also seems pretty clear on which sort of cells were used, so there shouldn't be any confusion in this case.

Also, the key issue in this particular case is not that the stem cells come from an adult or an embryo. It's because the cells are her own so they wouldn't be rejected or attacked by her own immunity system. The idea that an donor organ could be stripped from its donor DNA and then rebuilt with the patient's own DNA is really cool stuff. And that it will grow it's own bloodcirculation... just wow.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #578
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, the debate has raged for some time regarding embryonic versus adult. I do not intend to replicate it here! *sighs of relief heard round the 'Moot*

But if you want to delve into the debate, this search result will get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+adult&spell=1

In the USA the debate focused largely on the funding of embryonic stem cell research which was not being pursued by private industry and the attempt to get government funding for embryonic cell reseach, ostensibly because they would be easier. That was not the case at the time and it remains so.

See here for an overview: http://www.lifeissues.org/cloningste...dsarticle.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This transplant after stem cell regeneration esophagus is a hugely significant result of adult stem cell research which possibly renders moot the whole raft of ethical issues surrounding embryonic stem cell research, "rescue children", and the issues raised by sci-fi and fantasy literature regarding individuals whose existence was solely to provide replacement organs for their clone-source "originators". As usual literature was way ahead of the pack in consideration of the ethical and moral issues involved in this.

I remember reading in my far-away youth a sci-fi short story about a guy getting a traffic ticket with the "fine" that he would donate all his organs to transplant recipients. He broke into the organ transplant maintenance factory and destroyed the existing organs so his punishment would fit a worthy crime, rather than running a signal light. This story adumbrates the whole raft of ethical questions I have lived through. Really prescient, that one. Has anyone else read it or does anyone recall it?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #579
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
The idea that an donor organ could be stripped from its donor DNA and then rebuilt with the patient's own DNA is really cool stuff. And that it will grow it's own bloodcirculation... just wow.
Absolutely. Tre-bleeping-mendous.

Bring on the donor pancreases!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #580
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
What a strange idea. I thought since only adult stem cell research is possible in the USA it would have been the reverse...
No, it's legal in the US - just with some restrictions (not federally funded, and I believe it's illegal in a few states - things like that).

Quote:
The article also seems pretty clear on which sort of cells were used, so there shouldn't be any confusion in this case.
Yes, it was clear in the article. It's just not clear a lot of times in headlines 'n stuff.

Quote:
Also, the key issue in this particular case is not that the stem cells come from an adult or an embryo. It's because the cells are her own so they wouldn't be rejected or attacked by her own immunity system. The idea that an donor organ could be stripped from its donor DNA and then rebuilt with the patient's own DNA is really cool stuff. And that it will grow it's own bloodcirculation... just wow.
I know- absoutely amazing! And that's one of the cool things about adult stem cells - the rejection factor is eliminated when it comes from the person that it's going into. This is really wonderful stuff. There have been some absolutely amazing things done with adult stem cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
As usual literature was way ahead of the pack in consideration of the ethical and moral issues involved in this.
True!

Quote:
I remember reading in my far-away youth a sci-fi short story about a guy getting a traffic ticket with the "fine" that he would donate all his organs to transplant recipients. He broke into the organ transplant maintenance factory and destroyed the existing organs so his punishment would fit a worthy crime, rather than running a signal light. This story adumbrates the whole raft of ethical questions I have lived through. Really prescient, that one. Has anyone else read it or does anyone recall it?
No, but interesting!

Have you seen that Monty Python donate your liver sketch? and on the other side, the every sperm is sacred sketch? Monty Python - also ahead of its time!

Last edited by Rían : 11-21-2008 at 11:25 AM.