Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #561
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Guys, could you please move the DVD-R, etc. convo to the tech forum or to PMs if you plan to continue it?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #562
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Guys, could you please move the DVD-R, etc. convo to the tech forum or to PMs if you plan to continue it?
Have done so.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #563
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Getting back on topic.

I'm still at the office. It's 20h25. I'm hungry. The server is messed up. I have no episodes of Desperate Housewives or Lost to watch, because I finished them ages ago.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #564
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

only half eight your time and that's a vent?

Boy, i better go look at that 'i need a vacation' thread ...

... so we can vent but not if it's technical? ... Is there a history teacher / dentist thread? If not that's ok .. but because there i as a v-bulletin board a valid dvd rant is now a tech issue? I'm sure they will love discussing dvd's in the v-bulletin tech forum! When it get's booted out of there, who will pass the buck then?

Forgive me tessar but it seems as valid a rant as any other many-fold rants that have appeared in here .... so we can rant about anything ... but if some answers appear it is wrong? Grey Wolf had as valid as any rant and some helpful mooters have been trying to help out - where's the problem?

best to you tessar: and it sounds like your teacher is flawed!

How does it work anyway, summer-camp? it actually helps a scholarship application?

If you are good enough do not worry too much about incompetent 'jobbing' teachers ... beleive in your own ability ... look through the bumpf to what you need to focus on ... the best result i ever got (this is going back a bit) ... academically speaking ... was my A-level history ... it was an 'F' in the Mock exam (admittedly i was ill and shouldn't have even turned up in hindsight, didn't want to (it really is going back a bit!) and in most respects never did turn up) but anyway ... when it came to it, having coasted a fair bit i revised for a day with some Gin and tonic (was all there was available) and a few 'other things' ... this made it fun, had a clear idea what i wanted to look at because it interested me, had a great laugh one very sunny day going through it ... ideas leaping into my head as i read (which is the very soul of history ... not remembering dead-wood dates or banging your head trying to shallowly memorise the whole world ... but having ideas and hopefully understanding how it all fitted together or why certain factions, nations, groups etc ... did what they did .... )

anyway ... got an 'A' in me 'A' level History.

... vividly remember calling me dad who had been griping i hadn't put enough work in and how he had fought his way out of the depression era slums of liverpool and the ever present and very nasty money-lenders by getting a scholarship ... etc .. and saying i had got an 'A' which he bet me big time i wouldn't get...

Course i got all that from me dad ... as i said to him (somewhat later ) ...

To be honest i wasn't that bothered .. getting to University was a peice of piss ... and that was when

*old man's voice * -even though i ain't that old

... even when getting to a top university actually meant anything!

So anyway...before i get off-topic good luck to you

ON-topic: MY VENT

I really miss my dad ... he really was an amazing human being, father, husband and friend and inspiration to so many who knew him ...

i know many (not all) feel this about their parents ... but i think my dad really was ... this is based on what he did, who he helped, etc etc not just merely personal thoughts ...

anyway, there you go ...

thoughts go out to troll's bane who's mum is seriously ill ... all the best!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #565
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
... so we can vent but not if it's technical? ... Is there a history teacher / dentist thread? If not that's ok .. but because there i as a v-bulletin board a valid dvd rant is now a tech issue? I'm sure they will love discussing dvd's in the v-bulletin tech forum! When it get's booted out of there, who will pass the buck then?

Forgive me tessar but it seems as valid a rant as any other many-fold rants that have appeared in here .... so we can rant about anything ... but if some answers appear it is wrong? Grey Wolf had as valid as any rant and some helpful mooters have been trying to help out - where's the problem?

The reason that I asked them to move it was that it was no longer a vent. It had turned from "My DVD-R wont work" to "What is a DVD-R?" Giving some help from a vent is one thing, but turning the whole thing into a technical thread is something else.

I don't see it as a crime to ask them to move the tech. stuff to a tech. based forum on Entmoot. That's why we have it .
Old 07-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #566
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... and the rest of the post?

well i can kind of agree with you... but when is it a reply to a valid rant and when is it a whole different gig?

I just thought you may have seen where it went a bit more? IF it continued down a dvd tech thing, then absolutely fair enough.. but these things move on quickly enough without forcing them ... what then if we with this very inetrventionsit route are the rules to posting any reply to a rant that, say goes onto a topic temporarily in reply to the rant , say, more than 2 posts? more than 3? Is it four replies? where and what point does it becomes a whole new thread?

Are we then saying i, or you, or A.N.other is not allowed to reply to a rant because 2,3,4,5, others have done so before you and therefore defacto it must be a whole new thread?

I am not questioning you, just wondering (this usually gets me in trouble ... but can i be clear ... i am just asking! not having a go! truly )

... just wondering ... is there a rule then, how many replies is o.k to a valid rant and how many after that are then considered Banned or irrelevant becuse it has now become a subject in itself?

Does not this approach when too quickly or too strongly enforced not then lead to more discussion and possibly problems?

asking out of genuine curiosity is all, best to you tessar,

BB
Old 07-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #567
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Butterbeer, if Grey_Wolf, Andúril, or Troll's Bane have a problem with what I've done, I'm sure they'll get in touch with me.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #568
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh, you know me ... never a problem

BB
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #569
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, I don't think there's a rule, like "5.4 posts and you get a reprimand!" - I think they just try to do their best

(Tessar, did you see my response to your vent?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #570
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

If you mean the music one, then yes I saw it . Thankee. Excellent point, too.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #571
Mercutio

Tessar...sorry about the quiz.

What was the topic? Some of the questions? (Just curious, as a history geek).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:20 AM   #572
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Butterbeer, if Grey_Wolf, Andúril, or Troll's Bane have a problem with what I've done, I'm sure they'll get in touch with me.
What? What did you do?
let's see what I missed...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #573
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Vent - I'm SICK of kids squabbling!!

I"M SORRY your brother has football practice and you're too young to stay home alone and play gamecube!! I"M SORRY you have to spend 20 minutes in the car - you've had 7 hours of playing, and it's just a national tragedy that you didn't get 7 hours and 20 minutes!

Sheesh.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #574
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The only choice to make at that point is if they would like to be spanked or have the gamecube taken away for one day for each time they whined .
Old 08-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #575
Rían

yeah ... *sigh*

Old 08-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #576
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Vent - I'm SICK of kids squabbling!!

I"M SORRY your brother has football practice and you're too young to stay home alone and play gamecube!! I"M SORRY you have to spend 20 minutes in the car - you've had 7 hours of playing, and it's just a national tragedy that you didn't get 7 hours and 20 minutes!

Sheesh.
I can't understand that about a gamecube. I am so sick of the games I have for it, and the PS2 I have has a broken Controller port 1.

If it was Entmoot, I'd be taking the kid's side .
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #577
Mercutio

I just saw a neat looking game that just came out for X-Box: Sid Meier's Pirates! . Apparently it's been out since 1987 and is on gamecube or something.

now I don't have any videogames...but it looked really cool

I could get the computer version.........

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.

Last edited by Mercutio : 08-02-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #578
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I just saw a neat looking game that came out for gamecube...Sid Meier's Pirates! .

now I don't have any videogames so I couldn't get it...but it looked really cool
I totally take back my last post in the thread if they have Sid Meier games for Gamecube.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 AM   #579
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
This NASA nonsense about there having been life on Mars doesn't mean a thing because there has never been LIFE on Mars in the context of tall bipedal humanoid such.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #580
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh, and you get this information from, ????, your last trip there?????
Closed Thread