Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #561
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I know, it's a cool movie. I really like Scarlett Johannsen, too. My (ex-ish)boyfriend can't stand her, she's the kind of girl that gets under his skin (he hates Gwyneth Paltrow too, go figure) but I like Scarlett. Anduril have you seen that movie w/ her and John Travolta, "Love song for Bobby Long"? I reccomend it, especially if you liked "Lost In Translation", they seem to be similar types of films - unassumingly arty, slightly darkish humour, thought-provocative.

Oh! and Scarlett's also fantastic in "Girl with a Pearl Earring" - check it out!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #562
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I really like Scarlett Johannsen, too. My (ex-ish)boyfriend can't stand her, she's the kind of girl that gets under his skin (he hates Gwyneth Paltrow too, go figure) but I like Scarlett.
I like her. I like the "cute" girls, but very rarely the "hot" ones. There's just something about her in this film......She reminds me of someone I used to dream about.

This is the first film I've seen her in.
Quote:
Anduril have you seen that movie w/ her and John Travolta, "Love song for Bobby Long"? I reccomend it, especially if you liked "Lost In Translation", they seem to be similar types of films - unassumingly arty, slightly darkish humour, thought-provocative.

Oh! and Scarlett's also fantastic in "Girl with a Pearl Earring" - check it out!
Haven't seen either, as implied above. Will make an effort to check them out.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #563
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Boys don't cry.
Again.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #564
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Nerdanel, who's in Boys Don't Cry, because I'm getting ready to ride my bike to the video store right now and want to rent something besides MORE Alias episodes ...

Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #565
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Hilary Swank and Chloë Sevigny. This is another raved-above film that I still need to see.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #566
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Unleashed.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #567
Mercutio

Meet Me in St. Louis

Showboat

two more musicals adapted for film.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #568
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Nerdanel, who's in Boys Don't Cry, because I'm getting ready to ride my bike to the video store right now and want to rent something besides MORE Alias episodes ...
oh, sorry that it took me so long to reply!>.< Hilary Swank played very, very well.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #569
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, yeah! Now I remember - I have seen that movie, and it is very, very good! an excellent film and a brilliant job by Hilary Swank.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #570
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I just watched Alexander, the new eponymously named film brought to us by Oliver Stone. Mr. Stone, I'm afraid, is finally getting too old - that is to say, his films are starting to show a lack of intelligent originality. That actor who played Alexander is so amazingly, astoundingly bad, and wears such a distractingly awful wig to boot - This is a god-awful film, I am sorry to have to say. It's nice to see Angelina Jolie (when is it NOT nice to see her?!), and Anthony Hopkins is good to see as well, but this movie is utterly the pits, aside from those two. Bah. Long gone are the days of Apocalypse Now, or even Natural Born Killers - good old Oliver Stone appears to have lost that genius touch. Oh, well...

Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #571
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
I just watched Alexander, the new eponymously named film brought to us by Oliver Stone. Mr. Stone, I'm afraid, is finally getting too old - that is to say, his films are starting to show a lack of intelligent originality. That actor who played Alexander is so amazingly, astoundingly bad, and wears such a distractingly awful wig to boot - This is a god-awful film, I am sorry to have to say. It's nice to see Angelina Jolie (when is it NOT nice to see her?!), and Anthony Hopkins is good to see as well, but this movie is utterly the pits, aside from those two. Bah. Long gone are the days of Apocalypse Now, or even Natural Born Killers - good old Oliver Stone appears to have lost that genius touch. Oh, well...
The problem with movie directors these days is that they take the biggest news actors, and TRY, and TRY to make them work in their films.
Steven Spielberg...why is my respect for him waning? Because he chooses tha biggie names these days. Remember when no-one knew Roy Scheider? Harrison Ford?!
Spielberg now uses lame-ohs, Farrel, DiCaprio (best of the bunch) and Cruise. Fine with me, but for some reason Spielberg pretends these are his "Mature" years. It reminds me of Richard Strauss's early sucesses, everything up to "Rosenkavalier", though he has some great works after that year(1911), you can tell its more formulae.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 08-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #572
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Unleashed.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Oh, was it good? I've been meaning to check that one out.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #573
Smeagol_fan
Hobbit

I recently watched some of the new Star Wars movies. (Gag.)
Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #574
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Which one, Smeagol fan?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #575
TheCheat
Enting

I just saw March of the Penguins!!!! I looove penguins! They are my all time favorite animal, and this movie felt like it was made for me! Hehe! It was really interesting and even funny at times.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #576
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

oh god I cannot WAIT to see March of the Penguins; can'twaitcan'twait...

Old 08-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #577
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rána Eressëa
Oh, was it good? I've been meaning to check that one out.
When I said I was pleasantly surprised, that's because I had I expected mindless rubbish. It was a snap decision to see that fiIm, as I stood there at the ticket counter.

So I was surprised that it wasn't rubbish. It wasn't great or special though. There are plausability and continuation issues that pulled me out of the last minutes of the film.

Acting was okay. Story was okay. Fight scenes were quite well done--since Jet Li was involved.

I just felt like at times, my intelligence was being insulted.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #578
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
oh god I cannot WAIT to see March of the Penguins; can'twaitcan'twait...
me too, me too, me too!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:33 AM   #579
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Has anyone seen Irreversible? I downloaded the fire extinguisher scene last night. Looks like an interesting movie.
"Irreversible" was a crazy movie; so, so intense and definitely not for the faint of heart. I just love Vincent Cassel, and Monica Bellucci - she's the bomb, too, love her. But it's not a film to watch with grandma or the kids, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:53 AM   #580
katya
Elven Maiden

The Godfather: Marvelous! And so much like the book, too! Everything was exactly how I pictured it. Exactly. And if it wasn't, there was a new image that I thought fit the book better than my own anyway. Excellent movie. Excellent book. Yeah.

Life of Brian: Pretty funny. Maybe not Holy Grail funny, but that might've been my mood or because of a previous overdose of Monty Python. I loved the People's Front of Judea. Too funny. Reminded me of women I know who want to fight for the choice to play football, though they don't want to play themselves.
Closed Thread