Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #561
Mari
Elf Lady

Hehe, that pic is funny Gwai.

Nurv, good to have you here! ^_^ No waterballets or opening of the doors of hell or monsters in this cafe yet (that I know of) so so far so good.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #562
Midge
Faithful Gardener

So... story. For this to be funny, you sort of have to know my stand on alcohol. I live in the US. I'm under 21. I don't drink alcohol. My family doesn't drink alcohol. My family freaks out if anything that sort of looks like alcohol enters our driveway. I've grown up with this type of attitude toward alcohol.

That said, I will continue with my story. I went over to my boyfriend's house today and when I walk in the door, he's standing there with a carton of Tropicana Peach Orchard Punch and a glass with a tiny bit in the bottom. He hands me the glass and says, "Here. It's really good!" I take the glass. I sniff the contents of the glass. They smell BAD. NOT very good AT ALL. I take a drink, to be polite. Have to give the benefit of the doubt, you know. As soon as I make this awful face (it tasted all lemony, and it felt like I was drinking something with the worst sore throat you've ever had), he bursts out, "Haha! That wasn't punch! It was margarita!!!"

The Peach Orchard Punch actually tasted quite good. I drank a whole bunch to get rid of the icky aftertaste of the lemon-gunk.

Anyway... you can chuckle at my naivete. I walked around the rest of the day telling him how I couldn't drive home because I was probably drunk.

Edit: Part of the reason I'm telling you all this is because I was asked not to tell my family. Both my boyfriend AND his mother fear for how my family would treat him because he gave me alcohol (there was tequila in it... I'm guessing that was the sore throat part). Incidentally, is 26 proof a lot?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 06-19-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #563
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Not really; it's 13%, so a strong-ish wine.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #564
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
So... story. For this to be funny, you sort of have to know my stand on alcohol. I live in the US. I'm under 21. I don't drink alcohol. My family doesn't drink alcohol. My family freaks out if anything that sort of looks like alcohol enters our driveway. I've grown up with this type of attitude toward alcohol.

That said, I will continue with my story. I went over to my boyfriend's house today and when I walk in the door, he's standing there with a carton of Tropicana Peach Orchard Punch and a glass with a tiny bit in the bottom. He hands me the glass and says, "Here. It's really good!" I take the glass. I sniff the contents of the glass. They smell BAD. NOT very good AT ALL. I take a drink, to be polite. Have to give the benefit of the doubt, you know. As soon as I make this awful face (it tasted all lemony, and it felt like I was drinking something with the worst sore throat you've ever had), he bursts out, "Haha! That wasn't punch! It was margarita!!!"

The Peach Orchard Punch actually tasted quite good. I drank a whole bunch to get rid of the icky aftertaste of the lemon-gunk.

Anyway... you can chuckle at my naivete. I walked around the rest of the day telling him how I couldn't drive home because I was probably drunk.

Edit: Part of the reason I'm telling you all this is because I was asked not to tell my family. Both my boyfriend AND his mother fear for how my family would treat him because he gave me alcohol (there was tequila in it... I'm guessing that was the sore throat part). Incidentally, is 26 proof a lot?
I know you love him, but I would dump him like a hot brick.

It is NOT funny or cute to infringe on your right to decide what you ingest.

PERIOD.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #565
Mari
Elf Lady

Midge, happened to me too (though in a slightly different way) >_<
Weird that they asked you not to talk about it though. S=They should have thought about the results earlier before playing the prank.

Last edited by Mari : 06-19-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarity. Sis' quote made me realize it might not have come out the way I meant
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #566
katya
Elven Maiden

My aunt did that to my cousin (her son) a long time ago when he was little and I thought it was absolutely horrible at the time but now not so much.. She was just trying to be cute, it was harmless. If she knew he was say, morally very much opposed to drinking or something like that it would be terrible but otherwise not so much.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #567
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Midge, happened to me too (though in a slightly different way) >_<
Weird that they asked you not to talk about it though. Should have thought about that earlier.
I'm gonna get all mothery here, for a minute. People who are asking you to conceal things from your parents are NOT your friends.

And adults who do it... there should be a way to revoke their license.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #568
katya
Elven Maiden

Parenting license you mean?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #569
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
My aunt did that to my cousin (her son) a long time ago when he was little and I thought it was absolutely horrible at the time but now not so much.. She was just trying to be cute, it was harmless. If she knew he was say, morally very much opposed to drinking or something like that it would be terrible but otherwise not so much.
yeah, people who give children alcohol. Whole 'nother thread.

I'd be banned for language.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #570
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Parenting license you mean?
"Adult" license. Should be, "Ooops. You're an idiot. No vote for you. Back to high school...try to learn some geometry, this time."

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #571
katya
Elven Maiden

I just have a hard time getting mad at people who don't mean any harm. Not that I think it was a good idea. I certainly would never do something like that.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #572
Midge
Faithful Gardener

License to what?

Well. My parents like to find ways to vilify my boyfriend. Like.. they take something he does and find SOMETHING wrong with it. Sometimes it gets very annoying, and I can understand why they didn't want me to tell my family. Doesn't mean I WON'T...

And I made sure that he knew that he had crossed the line. He did understand and apologized for being inconsiderate. I do wish he had THOUGHT about what my reaction would be... I didn't find it funny either. But all's well as ends better. I forgave him.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #573
Midge
Faithful Gardener

He actually had had that done to him by his brother when he was little, and his family probably thought it was funny... It was just a joke in VERY bad taste.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #574
Mari
Elf Lady

Midge, I like the first quote in your sig by the way. Especially since in some newer editions, they probably don't want to use the word 'gay'... >_<

Old 06-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #575
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I love that book! It's amazing.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #576
katya
Elven Maiden

We~ll I'm going to donate some plasma in a few minutes. I'll be back in an hour and a half two hours or so. But do not fret! I will be sitting happily in the comfy chair reading my Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega guide and listening to my iPod with a needle stuck in my arm. Hey, I gotta find a way to afford

somehow. ^_^
Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #577
Mari
Elf Lady

Yes it is! I liked the latest film in which you see about the life of the writer etc too. I can't remember what it's called though. Not Finding Neverland, was it?
I've seen to many Disney themed films lately, I lost track of what was what

EDIT: Kittykat, have fun! And enjoy your guide.

Last edited by Mari : 06-19-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #578
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Yes... With Johnny Depp... I liked that one too.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #579
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh, I will, Mari (think of the dresses, not get bored). That Cloud action figure set me back almost two donation sessions worth of money but, I should have some extra from my check tomorrow anyway. Yay, pretty blouse!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #580
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I'm actually lucky enough to have a 1950 edition. My grandmother's library discharged it.. it's missing the first page of the first chapter.

Closed Thread