Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #561
Prince Myshkin
Elven Warrior

Boy, our showcase is on Tuesday night. I'm attending daytime dance classes, I'm doing well and the teachers and directors of the school are noticing.

But boy there are a lot of rehearsals. It's awesome!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #562
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

The Icelandic accent is nice.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #563
Mari
Elf Lady

I played a silly boardgame with my parents and sister.

My father even did the gestures-part. (by gesturing trying to convey a word that the other one has to guess) It must have been the Jaegermaester speaking

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #564
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Happy Thread! Find something happy to post about...find something happy to post about...oh, here's something. Good weather is bound to come sometime soon. That time isn't now, but I'm sure it's soon to come. This is more of a boardgame day I think.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #565
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm happy because I had a MAJOR breakthrough in my piano playing.

I never realized it, but I had a horrible mindset for piano.

I was playing along this evening and I sort of caught myself thinking, "oh crap! This is hard, don't hit a wrong note! I'll never be able to play this stuff right, I'm a terrible pianist. With all the lessons I've had I should play better than this."

So I just stopped for a minute, told myself it was okay to hit wrong notes, and reminded myself that I've had two semesters of theory. I can not only read this stuff, I can analyze it.

It was like some kind of magical light bulb turned on in my head. As I focused on relaxing and just playing, suddenly I was breezing through the piece I was struggling to work on yesterday. So I went to another, harder piece I never tried before. Breezed through it. I seriously ended up playing stuff that I thought was miles ahead of what I could play. Like... Chopin: I've always been terrified of his stuff and never managed to play more than a few measures. There were definitely wrong notes, but not that many... and I sight read three pieces in a row from the Chopin collection we own. Stuff that not two months ago I tried to play and couldn't even make myself memorize.

I'm so happy. Finally!!!... maybe now I can make some decent progress with piano.

So I'm sure I'm still at a pretty beginner stage in piano (I think Chopin's easier stuff is usually played after... a year of piano? It's still relatively 'easy' I think, but I'm not sure) but hey.... it's further than I've ever gotten before, and now that my mind set is better hopefully I can advance to more intermediate level piano.

Last edited by Tessar : 05-12-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #566
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yay, the piano stuff is still working great, and I had a small vocal break-through. My voice is a lot more resonant now...

My biggest problem has been that I tend to sound somewhat thin, especially as I ascend in my range. Now I've figured out (or at least am starting to figure out) how to put in more resonance, and thus I sound a lot fuller. Hopefully I can keep this breakthrough, too .
Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #567
Mari
Elf Lady

Yay! The end of the lease on my room has been confirmed: the 16th of June!
I can finally leave this place ^_^

No more summers slaving over retakes in a burning furnace and no more trying to keep warm under 4 blankets in the winter!
I will take leave of thee and leave thee to thy next owner. May he or she be more resistant to temperature changes than I am. She/ He'll need it >_<

Now all that's left is to end my contract with the internet people. I'm going to enjoy that particular one and I'm going to do it in person.

More happiness: it's salade season again! I bought a whole bunch of lettuces, corn, etc. and am now enjoying the end result. Too bad I forgot to buy pineapple to put in. Oh well, the cashew nuts and mixed seeds make up for that

Last edited by Mari : 05-14-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #568
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Aww, I love mixed salads!

I'm personally happy because I started moisturizing a few days ago, and it's really working. My hands are a lot softer and my face's skin tone has a slightly more even appearance to it--it also makes my acne marks (you know, where the skin stays red for a few months after the pimple's gone?) fade out a lot.

So yay. ^_^

Also been working on a few voice program that focuses on isolation of technique, and I basically took a big step backward and just let myself start from the very beginning, working on a tiny range. Well I was singing with the radio today not thinking about it, and I sailed up to a high note that I usually struggle with. Nice! My old tensions want to sneak back in after a few minutes, but if I keep reminding myself to focus on what I've been working on, my voice gets a lot more relaxed.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #569
Mari
Elf Lady

\(^_^)/ Go Tessar! \(^_^)/

I'm done with my work for today. Yay!
Now I'm going to make someone incredibly happy and then I'll go watch Indiana Jones I for the first time.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #570
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

The movie I was in at a film festaval won "Best documentary"!!!!

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #571
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I'm personally happy because I started moisturizing a few days ago, and it's really working. My hands are a lot softer and my face's skin tone has a slightly more even appearance to it--it also makes my acne marks (you know, where the skin stays red for a few months after the pimple's gone?) fade out a lot.

So yay. ^_^
Tessar, people are going to start thinking you're a girl again.

My hands are starting to get kind of dried out and weird from all the cleaning chemicals I'm using all day at work. :[

Happy- Triple Chocolate Cake ice cream!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #572
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Tessar, people are going to start thinking you're a girl again.

Ach, bring it! Yee knoo I'm not one'a'tha wee lassies. ^_^

I'm so excited! I think I met a new friend. A new friend WHO ISN'T A MUSIC MAJOR! *gasp!*

I made the choice to meet some people who AREN'T music majors this summer. I just... I need to meet people who will make me talk about stuff that isn't music . I love music, and given the chance it's all I'll ever talk about, but I want to be a diverse person.

So this guy seems really nice, and he and I agree about a lot of things so we get along well enough... at least over the 'net. He knows some friends of mine though, even though he doesn't go to my university, SO I think we'll probably get along well enough
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #573
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh that's great! ^_^ *feels happy for Tessar*

Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #574
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sasquatch of Fangorn View Post
The movie I was in at a film festaval won "Best documentary"!!!!
That's awesome Sas! What was it about?

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #575
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Me. My brother made a "Mockumentary" about the Sasquatch. Guess who played the creature?

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #576
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

That's pretty cool. Who played the Sasquatch...could it have been...The Sasquatch of Fangorn?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #577
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I'm flying out to see Curufin tomorrow!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #578
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

My last exam is today!

And this time tomorrow, Aika will almost be here!

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #579
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Happy Thread with nothing to post except spam, for I'm too foolish and stupid to know what else to post. But I feel happy for a reason that some would consider strange, perhaps insane indeed. I'm happy in the "my father, to you I commence my spirit" sort of way, to know the road has come to a possible end. I take up space and waste time, that's my belief. And the waste of time itself I shall bring to a sudden, and permanent, conclusion. I feel that the work I needed to do on this world is finished, and that though there will be sacrifice, there will be healing for others, with time. Just as there was no hope for Denethor, there is no hope for me. The depression has gone to a level that is impossible to manage, and the world will be better off, such as it is. Either that or I need an incredible amount of sleep, but I find that I can't sleep well anymore. I do not know what to do now, I tried confiding in my friends, my fiance, and those who specialize in these things, but no matter what, I can't beat this pain. To me, it's God telling me that I've been here for as long as I should have been.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #580
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hmm.. I'm not sure exactly what this has to do with the happy thread, seeing as this sounds like anything but.

Hey, you've come this far, and nobody, certainly not God is telling you that this is the end of the road. If God was to tell you that, you'd be dead already. Neither do you have to do battle with a giant flaming eyeball, so no horrible death awaits you like Denethor. Just relax. I know that sounds stupid, but relax and don't let your mind fall back onto this path, keep your mind active; the moment you catch yourself falling into this sort of mood, immediatly divert yourself and dont indulge your more morbid side by thinking too hard on your end.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Closed Thread