Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #541
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
The closest translation I came up with is:

"I never proclaim a lie, but I am an indominable man!"
Yes, that's basically it (translations are never exact)

It's from the movie Braveheart, spoken by William Wallace. In the movie, it translates to, "I never tell a lie, but I am a savage!" (it's the negotiation scene, where a court counselor to the French-born princess of England tells her, in Latin, thinking that Wallace wouldn't know Latin, "Don't listen to him! He's a liar and a savage!", and Wallace makes that great answer in Latin, then follows up in French! I love that scene! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #542
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

That was a good movie in general. I loved the battle scenes, very true to life. Fast and full of bloodshed.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #543
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, speaking of certain endothermic quadrupeds, there's one that won't shut up, as usual. Anyone have one of those?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #544
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Baxter the Cat! No, I wish I could have a cat but alas, no pets for me in RL until I have a big house with an outside yard. Cats and dogs don't like condo life.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #545
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Baxter the Cat! No, I wish I could have a cat but alas, no pets for me in RL until I have a big house with an outside yard. Cats and dogs don't like condo life.
Well, Baby Bax seemed fine with it. My dad lived in a duplex at the time, and Baxter took that neighborhood by storm. One lady once said of him, "He's just an orange cat."
I feel sorry for my Grandma's cats. They have never really left her house other than on frightening vet appointments.

I used to be primarily a dog person, until certain recent, um, incidences with dogs. The only dog I grew up with was a guide dog, and for a first dog, that isn't that good because it doesn't prepare you for most other dogs, which (much to my horror, despite the fact I know that there is no malignance involved) when they get all jumpy and jump up and down barking like right in front of you. For that reason, I tend to be intimidated by other people's dogs, and these other people tend to misinterpret my discomfort. I like cats better now, for various reasons, though both my dad and I are still interested in the puppy his friend's dog, Shasta (from the trip, remember? See pics, wherever I posted them), is apparently going to have.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #546
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

But I live up in the penthouse of a six storey building, and there'd be nowhere for a cat to go but lounge around the house. This is DEFinitely a no-cat kind of building. I know what you mean about jumpy dogs, too. They have to be trained to be polite and not jump in people's faces. I had an absolutely enormous rottweiler once, I mean abnormally gigantic he was, and he wasn't trained very well, although he was very sweet and tremendously loyal. But if he got "jumpy" around someone and they weren't prepared for it, there'd be some serious pants-wetting going on! He was terrifying-looking. If he jumped up on a person, no matter how big or strong the person could be, it'd throw them off balance or straight knock-em down. I miss that dog, though; he was my friend. I miss him!! He lives in the Valley, with my ex-boyfriend.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #547
trolls' bane

Quote:
But I live up in the penthouse of a six storey building, and there'd be nowhere for a cat to go but lounge around the house. This is DEFinitely a no-cat kind of building. I know what you mean about jumpy dogs, too. They have to be trained to be polite and not jump in people's faces. I had an absolutely enormous rottweiler once, I mean abnormally gigantic he was, and he wasn't trained very well, although he was very sweet and tremendously loyal. But if he got "jumpy" around someone and they weren't prepared for it, there'd be some serious pants-wetting going on! He was terrifying-looking. If he jumped up on a person, no matter how big or strong the person could be, it'd throw them off balance or straight knock-em down. I miss that dog, though; he was my friend. I miss him!! He lives in the Valley, with my ex-boyfriend.
Rottweilers are awsome! They're the best! (If they're clean, unlike my ex-next door neighbor's dog.)
Old 02-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #548
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Hmm... I'm strictly a cat person, which isn't to say that I won't be friendly to other people's dogs if they're well behaved, I just tend to be rather skittish around them.

It's strange how I'm nervous around dogs despite never really having had a bad encounter with one, whereas I'm perfectly fine with cats even though my hands used to be covered in scars from times when my cats or neighboring cats got overly playful or downright aggresive. You'd think that after getting my hands chewed on and scratched uncountable times I'd avoid cats...
But I was raised with cats in the house by a mother who regards dogs with reluctant tolerance/affection at best and disgust/dread at worst.

Can you tell we just finished the chapter on nature&nurture in Psych. class?

Blargh... introspection is thirsty thinking. My throat is calling out for tea.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #549
trolls' bane

Quote:
Hmm... I'm strictly a cat person, which isn't to say that I won't be friendly to other people's dogs if they're well behaved, I just tend to be rather skittish around them.

It's strange how I'm nervous around dogs despite never really having had a bad encounter with one, whereas I'm perfectly fine with cats even though my hands used to be covered in scars from times when my cats or neighboring cats got overly playful or downright aggresive. You'd think that after getting my hands chewed on and scratched uncountable times I'd avoid cats...
But I was raised with cats in the house by a mother who regards dogs with reluctant tolerance/affection at best and disgust/dread at worst.

Can you tell we just finished the chapter on nature&nurture in Psych. class?

Blargh... introspection is thirsty thinking. My throat is calling out for tea.
Here you go! Looseleaf, on the house. (Comp! Comp! Commmp!)
Old 02-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #550
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

*Crick heats the kettle again.*
Oh, false February, thy whispered promises of spring were all lies. I'm chilled to the bone.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #551
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickhollow
*Crick heats the kettle again.*
Oh, false February, thy whispered promises of spring were all lies. I'm chilled to the bone.
I'll do that for ya, then. On the house. Just go sit over there. (Comp! Commmp!!!!!!)

Listening to Rhapsody in Blue (Randomly Selected!). Rhapsody in Blue (Randomly Selected!) is the best. Wouldn't you agree? Of course the Leonard Bernstien recording of Rhapsody in Blue (Randomly Selected!) is the best soundwise, I just can't get over the fact that he left out part of what Libor Pesek used in his recording of Rhapsody in Blue (Randomly Selected!).
Old 02-11-2006, 04:04 AM   #552
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
Omnis, Entmooters, inviso venatio hoc:

hoc Tenoe Facio Tu
I apologise for attempt at Latin. Not knowing the correct grammatic form does not make it easy.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #553
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I apologise for attempt at Latin. Not knowing the correct grammatic form does not make it easy.
Non! Jamais! Wait, that would be French.

What country speaks Latin/Where did it originate from? Was there the Ancient Empire of Latin the Great or something I should know about?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 AM   #554
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Non! Jamais! Wait, that would be French.

What country speaks Latin/Where did it originate from? Was there the Ancient Empire of Latin the Great or something I should know about?
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. That is speak Latin, and since they are they originators of this language, that is where you should look for the origin of Latin.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-11-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #555
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
I had an absolutely enormous rottweiler once, I mean abnormally gigantic he was, and he wasn't trained very well, although he was very sweet and tremendously loyal. But if he got "jumpy" around someone and they weren't prepared for it, there'd be some serious pants-wetting going on! He was terrifying-looking. If he jumped up on a person, no matter how big or strong the person could be, it'd throw them off balance or straight knock-em down.
I was bitten by two, at the exact same time. On each shoulder. I was 12, maybe.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #556
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

A HTML-question...

I am at the moment working on a website for Concert Association. I have with asssistance from one of the founders of this group made up the index page and 5 subpages, successfully added links for navigating the site.

Now to the question...

I want to put a kind of watermark in the shape of transparent (so that they won't interfer with the text) sheets of music behind the text on the site. Is this possible?

Will perhaps add further images later. But this above-mentioned addition might just make the site a bit for attractive.

I cannot add the files until she has activated the registration though.

But an answer to the above question would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #557
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Can't you just fade the fade an image using Photoshop or similar app, and then use that as a background image?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #558
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Unfortunately I don't have any imagehandling program. Are there any shareware such that can be easily aquired.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-11-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #559
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

It's SNOWING!

And I have to do my laundry at some point today as everything but my summer clothing seems to be in the 'dirty' pile. Yargh.

*Settles down with a cup of tea and a pile of poems to edit.*
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #560
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
It's SNOWING!

And I have to do my laundry at some point today as everything but my summer clothing seems to be in the 'dirty' pile. Yargh.

*Settles down with a cup of tea and a pile of poems to edit.*
Oh, please keep the snow in Virginia, then. I can't stand the thought of the sun leaving, however cold it is with this lack of cloud cover.

*gets up for another cup of coffee before leaving for work*
Closed Thread