Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #541
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

aye' and it's VERY good!

thought your portrayal of the morgul lord or ARCH-chancellor was very good too. ... the best so far.

My! Lotesse wine-tasting and wine appreciation! i wonder what marty and ray will choose?

perhaps constable BB "evenin' all!" will enrol!

was it Valandil (the oft misquoted) that said this was a party town (at one point anyway) ?

sure is an interesting place.

what d'you reckon to my idea to write in the game.. as Val (i think) clearly would like?

and btw: yes, very well written (as usual) Earniel - and Gor good idea to have this centralising meet the chancellor story.

also inspired to have the old captain be the arch-chancellor!

do wonder about having had him here three years though - could you let me know ref my thoughts (rough at this time) above on that point, please?

well lotesse you certainly met muster there and no mistake.

yours, one half-chilled out BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-15-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #542
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

... look i am working on a story here and will discuss in time with Gor...

although the Morgul Lord being here for three years is a) a bit odd b) complicated and C) .... er point C

... maybe the other chancellor was really the kings relation and the Morgul Lord recently killed him and took his guise?

o.k. just an idea but it might make more sense, fit in better and give whoever plays the Morgul Lord some interesting backstory to how he is here!

best BB
Well, I like the idea all right, BB. Sounds cool to me, and I'm not tryna step on any toes here, I'm just sayin'...

Hey, and thanx 4 the killer praise, man! I was worried it might not be good enough...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #543
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
... look i am working on a story here and will discuss in time with Gor...

although the Morgul Lord being here for three years is a) a bit odd b) complicated and C) .... er point C

... maybe the other chancellor was really the kings relation and the Morgul Lord recently killed him and took his guise?

o.k. just an idea but it might make more sense, fit in better and give whoever plays the Morgul Lord some interesting backstory to how he is here!
BB, you have your WraithCall copyright and I have my Chancellor copyright. Sounds fair to me. Though, I am always open for discussion.

Why is it odd that the Chancellor is in Tharbad for 3 years? It may have been odd that he didn't come here much earlier! After all, he needs to get the Ring. He looks for it for a long time, ever since the fall of Sauron. He was in Osgiliath and Minas Anor before that. He learned all there was to learn about Isildur and the Ring. I bet, he read the notes written by Isildur, the same notes that Gandalf found 3000 years later.

Now he knows Isildur was killed. Where is the Ring? He doesn't believe it was lost. He thinks it is either with Valandil or with Elrond. He can't come to Rivendell, it is out of the question, as Elrond with his ring will see who he is immediately. And ol'Glorfy also.
Annuminas is also very insecure, must be ridden by elves from Lindon and Rivendell, and some of them are Calaquendi. And, I think, the talk that Val is going to come to Tharbad started long ago. Time is slow in ME.

So the Morgul-Lord came to Tharbad, maybe because he heard these rumours, or maybe just because there was a position there, and it was a step into Arnor, and the coming of Val was just a happy surprise.

No, he didn't summon the other wraiths, CS and BB, no need for bickering. Why would he want all the 8 meddle with his plans? They are his rivals for the ring. He only invited Khamul. I don't yet know why. I have to think on it. All the others came following BB's call.

Now about Lord Ilmenzor.
As I see it: Of course, Lord Ilmenzor, the King's third cousin existed in reality, as well as his father, the Captain of Minas Ithil. His story was a true story. You can't invent a story of someone that high up! Plenty of people must have known these men. And yes, sure, the Morgul Lord took his place, obviously while he was imprisoned in the dungeons of Minas Ithil. ( Here, by the way, is a second possibility - while Ilmenzor travalled in the East and South after the war). Don't know which one is better.

You see, I reveal all.

And your idea, BB is highly unlikely, IMO. Try to take a place of another person who looks not exactly like you, while all is calm and the same people see him in the evening and you the next day! It is easier to imagine if someone goes away for 30 years and returns a bit different. Or if one is rescued from the enemy dungeons half-dead and hardly recognisable.

Last edited by Gordis : 09-15-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #544
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

And oh, Lotesse, yours was an awesome post! Liked both Viv and the Chancellor.

One thing only: it is Andunie, not Andulie. It was a part of the drowned Numenor. You want to say that your family is from there, as you are too young to be born before the Downfall of Numenor.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #545
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Great post, Lotesse! I like the "preparatory smile and pre-thought-out introduction fell flat on their proverbial face" part - I imagine that's happened to all of us (I know it has to me), and it was very realistic!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-15-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:04 AM   #546
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have given in and editted my last post in the game-thread.

Eärniel has now been suckered into following Commerce as well, although she hasn't quite figured out yet why people make such a big deal of it.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:09 AM   #547
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Oh, Lotesse,
And you were WORRIED? It is a KILLER post!!!

Quote:
neither me or CS were bickering ... in one way i fear i have far too much in common character (RL) wise with CS ... at least in certain regards ... but bicker? of course NOT!
Well, I get mad pretty fast myself, but never for long. As for you, BB, to deal with you is like handle a bag of explosives.

Let's both try not to explode simultaniously! That would be a blast!
Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 AM   #548
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I have given in and editted my last post in the game-thread.

Eärniel has now been suckered into following Commerce as well, although she hasn't quite figured out yet why people make such a big deal of it.
MUAHAHA!!!
I loved your musings on the hidden meaning of "Commerce"!
Old 09-16-2005, 05:23 AM   #549
CrazySquirrel

Where is our Shah? I have grown to like his posts so much! Marty and Ray at the Chancellor's! Mmmm...

And what about our Dear Lord of Undead Butterflies?

And OH YES, How could I forget? Would the Widow Watching miss the Chancellor's reception? Unbelievable!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #550
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OK - I have a rough idea about my next post, but not the time to put it up this morning (second week of each month is usually crowded for me - this one was unusually so!).

I can certainly work in something about the game being postponed. I expect the visiting team may have to just wait around for a week though. OR... since Val's leg would be a little 'game' (and he can't play now anyway) maybe it just gets pushed back to Sunday. Hmmm.... Sunday Football...

A few things I've been asked about...

Treatment of the Orc: Well, I believe Lief said that we would LIKE this Orc. I mentioned that he was polite, didn't I? Besides, we're all at peace now. And note how the Goblins in "The Hobbit" did not immediately kill Bilbo and the Dwarves (and that was after the War of the Dwarves and Orcs).

Anyway - an interesting discussion should ensue at USAT in the Philosophy Class (if anyone wishes to add THAT... say, is Marty taking Philosophy? Ray?) - on the old "Nature vs Nurture" question. 'Are Orcs Evil by Nature or are they brought up to be that way?'

I just hope the Orc doesn't show up for classes around here.

Gordis - I think I liked your idea about the first meeting between Valandil and the Chancellor. When we get there, shall I just narrate it, or should the two of us dialog it (although that would take some time... maybe I'll just PM ideas to you and we'll work something out).

Meanwhile, I'll have a little surprise for you Nazgul when that meeting draws near... something to perk up your ears. Just make sure one of the Nazgul ladies happens to be around (must be Lil or Viv)... it will also serve to place Valandil a little bit on his guard - but I've come up with another reason for that to be naturally so. I feel that's necessary, because if ANYONE in this game should have a big 'bullseye' on his forehead, it's Valandil. So he may start feeling a little unease or suspicion soon. Just as well - because if he's focused on shielding his thoughts, the Nazgul won't find out that he knows nothing about the One... they need that suspense to maintain motivation.

Meanwhile, keep doing the interviews. How many are left? My post will happen that same afternoon (so it could be another flashback, if the rest of you move on) - and I think Valandil will stay in that night, if he possibly can. I'll introduce Estelmo though, and the other character, whom I have not named yet - I think they'll add something to the game.

After I tossed out those names for Ray, I'm a little surprised none of you liked "Wandering Hand" ... oh well, maybe that'll have to be Viv's private name for him!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 09-16-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #551
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Gordis - I think I liked your idea about the first meeting between Valandil and the Chancellor. When we get there, shall I just narrate it, or should the two of us dialog it (although that would take some time... maybe I'll just PM ideas to you and we'll work something out).
You may just narrate it, and maybe I will have a couple of suggestions for editing. Perhaps not.
Or, if you really find some points difficult, or unclear, please ask me beforehand by PM or in this thread.
Whichever you choose will be fine with me.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'll have a little surprise for you Nazgul when that meeting draws near... something to perk up your ears. Just make sure one of the Nazgul ladies happens to be around (must be Lil or Viv)... it will also serve to place Valandil a little bit on his guard - but I've come up with another reason for that to be naturally so. I feel that's necessary, because if ANYONE in this game should have a big 'bullseye' on his forehead, it's Valandil. So he may start feeling a little unease or suspicion soon. Just as well - because if he's focused on shielding his thoughts, the Nazgul won't find out that he knows nothing about the One... they need that suspense to maintain motivation.
Yes,you are quite right, Val. He has to shield his thoughts.
He may start shielding his thoughts just because of unease (like around Galadannun). He may stop mind-communication because the pictures he saw in Lilly's head were not exactly PG-13... He should feel Chancellor's attempts to read HIS thoughts and learn to keep his mind closed. With the Chancellor,such attempts would not strike him as something UNNATURAL, as Ilmenzor is supposed to be of the same line as Val, and have such abilities. But that will not make Val like the Chancellor.

Quote:
Meanwhile, keep doing the interviews. How many are left? My post will happen that same afternoon (so it could be another flashback, if the rest of you move on) - and I think Valandil will stay in that night, if he possibly can. I'll introduce Estelmo though, and the other character, whom I have not named yet - I think they'll add something to the game.
Ray, Marty, Pengolod the nazgul. (Oh, now I see, ladies were first!!!)
So, GW and Shah!!! Forward!

Yess, Estelmo. Very interesting. Could you brief us, Val, on his AU story?
I suppose he fought in the War, and in Isildur's army. So he should remember the Captain of Minas Ithil before the war, the father of our Cancellor? Perhaps he remembers Ilmenzor himself as well, from his war-time, or before, or after the war??? Isildur stayed in Gondor for couple years after the victory...

BY THE WAY: Now that's a question, were the orcs who attacked Isildur at the East bank of Anduin, opposite the Gladden, on their own? Or was there a nazgul with them? If so, he might have never learned that Isildur perished in the river itself and was not killed on the West bank by either orcs or Elves (remember Olmer's theory?)

Quote:
After I tossed out those names for Ray, I'm a little surprised none of you liked "Wandering Hand" ... oh well, maybe that'll have to be Viv's private name for him!
LOL, good joke.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #552
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Anyway - an interesting discussion should ensue at USAT in the Philosophy Class (if anyone wishes to add THAT... say, is Marty taking Philosophy? Ray?) - on the old "Nature vs Nurture" question. 'Are Orcs Evil by Nature or are they brought up to be that way?'
Oooooo, Viniglaen wants to add this class to her list!! Can she, can she? Especially if Marty and Ray are gonna be in it.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #553
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
'Are Orcs Evil by Nature or are they brought up to be that way?'
you are what you eat, and from the sounds of it, orcs have a pretty nasty diet
Old 09-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #554
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Viniglaen: Why not? Do it quick, modify your post, before the Chancellor has time to refuse.
It was such a good post, Lotesse! Really.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #555
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

O.K., I just did it - I slipped it into the list he reviewed at the end, I called it "Modern Western Philosophy." Man, Vivvie's taking a lot of courses! She can handle it, though. She's got a photographic memory and a love of learning.

Thanx, Gordis!

Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #556
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Well at least it will keep her busy, and her hands away from other's strongboxes
Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #557
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

You never know with Viv, though. The more people she's exposed to, the more comfortable all the different people and elves might get with her, the easier it will be for her to be able to gain access to their homes & valuables, without even being noticed or suspected. She really is a criminal, even though she never means to "hurt" anyone per se - she just wants all their nice stuff. Especially that nice ruling ring, and trust & believe, she WILL find it eventually.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #558
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I like how you did that, Eärniel!
Maybe RÃ*an can audit the class ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #559
Rían

Hey, formal info thread minders - could you please post a top-level character summary, kind of like my post #295 in this thread, over in the formal info thread? And include things like who is posing as who's brother/sister/cousin, etc. Thanks! that will be a big help for this newbie

Old 09-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #560
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Evenin' all!

Now no need to be hasty ... you'll have to see the guvnor about that ... and he's having a drink just now.
We're very busy in the Watch, this time o' night, and we don't want to be wasting Police time now do we?

*Constable BB gives a charming merry-looking smile at the beautiful Elf lady.*

I'm just off to bed but you just reminded me: i'll be away for the weekend: so can Shah make at least one patrol of the street and make sure all is well.

I'd like, Rian, to post it all together or at least a few at a time. But while i am away maybe either Shah, Earniel or Valandil can post any summaries you are all happy with in there!

best BB.
Closed Thread