FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #541
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Anduril- remind me not to date you .
It was not very wise to draw my attention to you. You'll see what I mean, shortly. *sinister laugh*
Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #542
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

*makes a mental note to check for car bombs before leaving today*
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 PM   #543
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I don't know if this is a vent, really, or not...

There's this woman that I've known online for a while--she's an amature singer. We met on a critique board, where I was known for my harsh, 100% honest reviews. Some people thought I was a nasty jerk, and some people thought I was absolutely wonderful because I would help them find problems in their voices that they hadn't pin-pointed themselves, and suggest ways to fix them.

From the beginning her voice absolutely enchanted me. It was just a very little bit breathy, but with soaring soprano highs and rich alto lows. Her USEABLE vocal range is about 3.5 octaves. That's about 28 white keys on a piano. Most singers, like myself, only have about 20 really usable notes. My guess for her full range would be more like 4.2 octaves, maybe a little more if she used whistle register.

I was extremely envious of her voice, but I gave her my typical critiques. She wasn't sure if she loved my critiques or thought I was the worlds most horrable jerk .

We got to know one another better. She's a very, very nice person. All that time, though, I was totally envious of her voice. What I couldn't believe was that she was UPSET with her voice! She didn't think she had a very usable range, she didn't like her tone, and she didn't like the fact that she sounded best on classical and ballad style music. I was litteraly green with envy. This woman had a voice that was EXACTLY what I KNEW I wanted to sound like, even long before I met her.

I don't envy her any more, though. I guess it's just from knowing her so well, but I can't help but just be happy for her that she has that kind of a voice.

I don't know... I'm not jealous of her having it, but I want what she has. Not in a greedy, 'Ahahaha! Then I'll sound GOOD and people will LIKE me' kind of a sense, but... I want to give more, I guess. My voice isn't all that great. I have a pleasant tone, and potential to be a good singer, but I don't think I'll really be something that can make people see themselves.

I can't explain it. I WANT what she has, but not for me. I want it to give it away to other people. Even if they never KNEW it was my voice, or ever met me, or even cared about me as a person... I want to give away that... something. I can't describe it.

I want it more than ever now... I wrote a simple little melody and put it up online. Someone really liked it, and so they used a $4,000 composing program to turn it into a symphonic sounding song. My friend put it on her playlist that goes while she works on people's nails at her business.

I guess it sounds egotistical, but WOW. Someone liked the melody that I made so much that they made it into a professional sounding piece of music, then someone else thought it sounded so pretty that they put it where other people can hear it. Can you imagion?

I don't care if the people who hear it never even know that I'm the one who wrote it, or remember it again once they've heard it. I just hope that someone is really touched by it, and that for a minute they can think, "That was very moving," and feel better for having heard the song.

Well now I just sound sappy.

Heh.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #544
katya
Elven Maiden

You know, now people are really going to think you're a girl. I actually had to check and make sure it was you who wrote the post because I thought it was weird that I guy would want a chick's voice.

Seriously though, I can see what you're saying. Me, I always wished I had a really nice voice, but in a different way. More like, so I could enjoy listening to myself sing. I like singing but I don't like hearing myself. Anyway, congratulations on the song.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 AM   #545
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
You know, now people are really going to think you're a girl. I actually had to check and make sure it was you who wrote the post because I thought it was weird that I guy would want a chick's voice.
I can't deny it . When I was a boy-soprano I loved being a soprano, and while I guess I do enjoy having a bass voice now, the soprano is probably still my favorite voice type of all. There's just something so fluid about it that you don't typically hear in the other voices.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:56 AM   #546
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, if you enjoyed being a boy soprano, I suppose you could have become a castrato.

Psalm 107:31
Old 07-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #547
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I can't explain it. I WANT what she has, but not for me. I want it to give it away to other people. Even if they never KNEW it was my voice, or ever met me, or even cared about me as a person... I want to give away that... something. I can't describe it.
I can explain it - we are indeed made in the image of God the creator, God the giver

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #548
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Vent - the day we left for Ecuador, the girl across the street that was watching our house turned on our dishwasher, and it FLOODED all over the kitchen floor, ruining the flooring!

Anti-vent - so far, the insurance guys have been nice, and very prompt. There's a crew here now tearing up the flooring and putting dehumidifier fans on it.

Anti-vent 2 - well, I always wanted to extend the Pergo flooring out into the family room, and now's the time to do it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #549
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I was given a video burned on a cd-r by my cousin but he didn't know how formatize it properly so I can't view it on my DVD-recorder. It's in datafile-format. Does anyone have a simple non-too-technical explanation of how to aquire and work a program for the purpose of converting the datafile-musicvideo into viewable format on my recorder? Please.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #550
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

U2 is giving a concert in Oslo tonight.
And I'm not there.

Last edited by Artanis : 07-27-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #551
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I was given a video burned on a cd-r by my cousin but he didn't know how formatize it properly so I can't view it on my DVD-recorder. It's in datafile-format. Does anyone have a simple non-too-technical explanation of how to aquire and work a program for the purpose of converting the datafile-musicvideo into viewable format on my recorder? Please.
Do you have a DVD-rom, and if so, are you able to play the video on your PC/laptop?

Most DVD players can open VCD and SVCD formats (certain .dat files), and some can play DIVX (but not necessarily *.avi) files.

What is the extension of the video on the CD-R? Something tells me .mpg or .mpeg or .wmv....Difficult to tell if you don't have a PC-based DVD drive, so perhaps your brother could tell you?

I reckon you're going to need an app to convert the source video to a .vob file so that the DVD recorder can read it. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the name of the software I use.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #552
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

sounds about right ... but he'll only need a cd-rom to view it if it's a cd ..if it won't play there it's probablu useless .. but use windows explorer etc to find out what file format it is.

best
BB
Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #553
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Do you have a DVD-rom, and if so, are you able to play the video on your PC/laptop?

I have a dvd-burner

Most DVD players can open VCD and SVCD formats (certain .dat files), and some can play DIVX (but not necessarily *.avi) files.

So you mean there is actually a way for me to open it in the Recorder

What is the extension of the video on the CD-R? Something tells me .mpg or .mpeg or .wmv....Difficult to tell if you don't have a PC-based DVD drive, so perhaps your brother could tell you?

I reckon you're going to need an app to convert the source video to a .vob file so that the DVD recorder can read it. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the name of the software I use.
Thanks. I'll check on the cd for the name of the extension tomorrow evening and get back to you.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #554
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
sounds about right ... but he'll only need a cd-rom to view it if it's a cd ..if it won't play there it's probablu useless .. but use windows explorer etc to find out what file format it is.

best
BB
I am able to view it in my dvd-player/burner in my computor. My cousin (not being an expert burner either didn't know what format to burn it in for me to be able to view it on my tv-connected DVD-recorder.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:50 AM   #555
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Speaking of DVDs, what's the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R?
Old 07-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #556
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I've been told that it got something to with the direction in which the burning is done. +R is done from the edge inwards and -R is done from the centre outwards.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #557
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Quote:
DVD+R is a dvd disc that allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer. They will not compete to become the de Facto standard, because they are both here to stay. Multi layer DVD+R can allow extra capacity per disc than DVD-R hence its high cost!
...is one answer.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:38 AM   #558
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

This is probably more helpful:
Quote:
DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and DVD+R (pronounced "DVD plus R") are nearly identical formats. The discs look the same and are both supported by most DVD-ROM drives and DVD burners. The only difference between the formats is the way they determine the location of the laser beam on the disc. DVD-R discs use tiny marks along the grooves in the discs, called land prepits, to determine the laser position. DVD+R discs do not have land prepits, but instead measure the "wobble frequency" as the laser moves toward the outside of the disc.

The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer and was released in the second half of 1997. DVD+R was developed by Sony and Philips and was introduced in 2002. Companies that support DVD-R include Pioneer, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Panasonic, while companies that support DVD+R include Sony, Philips, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh, and Yamaha.

However, most of these companies now develop hybrid DVD drives that support both DVD-R and DVD+R formats. They are known as DVD±R or DVD±RW drives. When looking for media for your DVD drive, make sure it ends in "-R" if you have a DVD-R drive or "+R" if you have a DVD+R drive. If you have a DVD±R drive, you can use either format. DVD-R is still more popular than DVD+R, but since they are both widely supported, it should not matter which format you choose.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #559
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

STUPID history class.

On the first quiz, which I didn't study for much, I got a C. In the interest of trying to keep my GPA high I spent a TON of time studying for the second quiz...

I got an F.

ARGH.

The entire classroom was so upset about the results of the test that he actually ended class 20 minutes early.

AND he held the second quiz on the day that was the last possible day students could withdraw without that class affecting their GPA. In other words, no one knew what grade they'd gotten until the day AFTER it was too late to withdraw.

I'm not stupid, and I did study, and I payed attention through EVERY SINGLE two HOUR lecture. It makes me so ANGRY that I'm going to have to continue sitting through two hour lectures and praying that I can pass the class and pull my over all grade up enough that it wont slam my GPA and make my lose my chance at a couple of really, really good scholarships.

Argh.

Not only that, but the same day I found out I'd gotten the F, I went to the dentist and was told that I have two small cavities that need to be filled, AND I need to get all four wisdom teeth pulled before they can finish coming in because if they DO come in at the angle they're at, they'll push my teeth out of alignment.

I spent four years in braces to get my teeth straight, three of which were with student orthodontists who took three hours at the very least for every single visit, and some times as many as four and a half, and I was always in pain for at least a week after every visit.

I'm not going through that again.

Last edited by Tessar : 07-28-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #560
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Go here: http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm and download VSO DivxToDVD 2 (it's free). It might be able to convert the .mpeg file to a .vob file that will be compatible with your DVD recorder. I say might because the title alone seems to limit the source format (although the version I am using, 0.5 or something, points out that some other formats are compatible as a source).

I'm downloading the app right now, and will report back. I'll try to convert one of the "unsavoury" .mpeg clips I have, to a .vob file.
Closed Thread