Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #541
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Late Monday Night, far away from Tharbad

As the dark-haired girl walked back into the room, the barmaid grabbed her by the elbow and drew her into a corner.

"So, how was the elf?" she asked, curiosity in her voice (it was a small town and they didn't get a lot of variety).

"Well, I don't have much to tell you," she said, "but at least he paid well."

Her friend looked at the money and was suitably impressed. "So what happened? What was he like?" she repeated.

The dark-haired girl shrugged. "Well, we walked for a bit and then stopped under a tree. He just looked at me for a long time - he was real nervous, just running his hand up and down the tree trunk - then he finally reached out and started touching my hair. He spoke in another language, and said something that sounded like 'Aiwen' a lot. I declare, I felt a bit sorry for him, he looked so sad. Maybe this 'Aiwen' died or something, I don't know. But this hair stuff wasn't going to get the rent paid, so I finally said, 'Why don't you just kiss me like you want to kiss her,' - and ... then he did."

"So what was it like?" repeated her friend for the third time. "Do they kiss differently or something? And did he want more?"

"Well, it was pretty good, actually," she said in the voice of an experienced judge evaluating things in which there is a professional interest, not an emotional one - "I've heard that they don't have many kids - maybe they're just into other stuff like trees and kissing or something. Whatever floats your boat - as long as you pay for it. I tried to get some other things going a few times, but he'd have none of it - stopped me cold every time. Finally he stopped and leaned his head on the tree for a few minutes, then he said, 'I'll take you back now," and walked me back, and paid me right handsome. Rum customer, that elf, but he treated me right, and paid better than most, too, that much I know." She shrugged her shoulders again, and then hearing the voice of someone she knew well, left her friend and walked across the room.

Across town, Tyaron left some money where the stable owner would see it and gathered his things together, putting them on Hwesta's back. She snorted her disapproval - it was a small but comfortable stall. Tyaron looked into her eyes and rubbed her soft-as-satin nose. "I'm sorry, cousin, but I just can't stay - I can't ... I don't want the townspeople to look at me. Come on - I'll lead you, I won't ride." He rubbed the inside of her ear and she arched her head in enjoyment. "You like that, don't you, cousin!" he said with the ghost of a smile. She gave one last stretch and then rubbed her forehead hard on his shoulder - he was such a lovely scratching post! - then followed his lead out the door into the night.

He lead her quietly for an hour, then stopped at a small stream and let her drink. He looked up at the bright, beautiful stars, and then down at his hands. He bent down next to Hwesta and let the cool, refreshing water run over his hands. The silver ring on his right forefinger glinted in the starlight. He looked at it for a moment and then took it off. It was supposed to represent the highest and most sacred relationship that can exist between a man and a woman - and he had given it to himself. Sure, it was to represent his faithfulness to R*an, but she hadn't given it to him - and he hadn't been faithful to her tonight ... Standing up quickly, he flung it into the darkness as far as he could, and then picked up Hwesta's lead rope and continued walking.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #542
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

"Who are you, and why have you been following me?" Mahtaliel asked her captive in an angry whisper. She had become aware of the man following her half-way down the street of hours. It had been simple enough to loose him in the crowd, but when she had felt the brush of a mind searching for her she had decided it was time for more direct action. She did not appreciate being followed.

"If you let go of me, I could answer you properly." The man replied, tensing.

Mahtaliel tightened her hold, she wasn't about to let go,"You can answer me just fine from where you are."

"S-" He caught himself and bit off the rest of the curse, "I only wanted to talk."

She spun him around and pinned him against the wall so she could see his face, "What was so important that you had to tail me? You do realize that there are less dangerous ways of getting my attention?"
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 11-22-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #543
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Monday Afternoon
Alagos took his supplies to Itazel and Danor's house and put them carefully away, then came back out. "I'm all yours!" he said cheerfully to "R*an's little friend". "Where are we going?"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #544
Rían

Tuesday, far from Tharbad

Tyaron faced the man whom he had talked with only a few days ago. It seemed like a lifetime ago.

"I'll do it," he said to the man in a flat tone.

"What changed?" asked the man.

"Everything," answered Tyaron bitterly.

"You found her, then?"

"I lost her."

Tyaron left the man's house with a dagger that was not his own.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #545
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"Well it was my sister who had her hired. She has gone into town but I will fetch her," said Khamûl.
"There's no need to do that sir, but thank you," replied Barliman.
"It's no trouble. I'm passing through that way anyway," said Khamûl, who was of course lying, but he knew that Lily was most likely shopping, and after what had happened the evening before he would enjoy the chance to end her afternoon of pleasure. Anyway it may be his last chance.
"Zimra, fetch me Rian's bags. I will personally take her bags to Red Herring," said Khamûl looking at Barliman's slightly disapproving face, as Zimra scurried off, before returning a minute or so later.
"I will send my sisterto speak to you. If she does not turn up then have Zimra tell me upon my return," said Khamûl, leaving the house and setting off past the University.
After arriving at the Red Herring and scanning the room for Rian he didn't see her.
"Barman. Has an elf, with long dark hair been in?," called Khamûl.
"Ah you mean Rian. No Professor. But there has been a rumor that has entered this inn many times this afternoon. It is of a man, of the East seemingly, who drinks his wine by the bottle. Apparently he travels the inns of Tharbad drinking bottle upon bottle in each inn. Are you
"Nay, but I know who he is. Listen if Rian does come in could you give her these bags," said Khamûl handing the barman Rians bag, after deciding against leaving them by the door for anyone to take.
"I will Professor," answered the Baman, as Khamûl turned his back and left the Pub.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-22-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #546
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

"You do seem to have outstanding taste," said Udu.
Lilly beamed from the unexpected compliment. She was willing to help, of course, she was. She approached and examined the strings of beans minutely, asking the jeweller to change two of them for brighter ones. Then she turned her attention to bracelets.
"I heard, Maethor, that your "cousins" enjoy Oriental dances." Lilly laughed at her own joke. "You better buy them jingling bracelets that could be used to accentuate the music. Like those."

Lilly picked up a few bracelets, some with tiny bells and the others made of several loosely joined pieces. She let her coat slid on a chair and slipped the bracelets on her long shapely arms. On expert feet, Lilly made several graceful footsteps and then started twirling about, undulating her stomach and swaying her hips. She lifted her arms, making the bracelets jingle merrily in tune with her movements. Lilly was a great dancer, her mother taught her well, and Lilly honed her skills over long years in Mordor.

Belegar, the jeweller, stood agape. No one of his customers has ever danced in his chop. Neither had he ever seen such manner of dancing. It was most unusual, immodest and enticing. He suddenly felt hot, and his pale cheeks and bald head turned red.

A sound of the doorbell was lost in the commotion. Turning again, Lilly suddenly saw two young noble girls staring at her from the door. Lilly also noted angry glances they reserved for Udu. Lilly stopped. The girls hesitated, then suddenly turned and fled from the shop, as if a dragon were on their heels.

Lilly shrugged, surprised. Turning to Udu, she asked in thought speech "Who were those, Udu? Two more of your wives?"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-22-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #547
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

He did not have to look long for Lily. As usual she was talking loudly, but not to Khamûl's surprise, Peeny. It was Udu.
"Llilaewen, my dear sister," said Khamûl, walking up to her, with a curt nod to Udu.
"Kh... Galadannun, my dear brother," she replied pleasently, but her face twitching slightly.
"Get back to Orrodel now," Khamûl said when he was no less than a metre away from Lily.
"Why?" she protested. "I'm shopping with my new friend."
'Why? You will do it because I have told you to' replied Khamûl, thinking it safer to communicate silently. 'Or have you forgotten your manners again. I do not wish to have to teach you them again. Also I may be leaving Orrodel, but I have not done so yet so, you still do as I say, as the Captain told us last night, Lilaewen the Sixth'
Lily opened her mouth to protest, but thought better of it, and walked back towards Orrodel.
"We need to talk," muttered Udu, much to Khamûl's surprise. "About her."
"Okay. Come to the library, this evening about seven o'clock. Come unarmed," replied Khamûl, as both Nazgûl turned and walked off in different directions.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #548
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Never drank aught, but water, or a mug of house beer now and then…But never wine. Never three bottles of it. ..."

the words were running around and around in Bingo's mind like mad mice on a circular treadmill....

Best go and see this stable boy, thought barliman while the maid was running her errand.

Stepping outside he cocked his deer stalker hat to a jaunty angle, lit his pipe and again called for watson ...

it didn't take him long to find the stables ....

standing outside the stables, taking slow ruminative pulls on the pipe, Barli was a thinking .... deeply ....

"You alright there sir?" said a young concerned voice suddenly - looking at the odd expression on the constable's face ...

Constable BB's eye flicked quickly to the youngish stable lad carrying some Hay around the corner .... ahh!

"arastud , i assume?"

"eh? how did you know my name, then?"

"ah, tis elementary dedductione, lad!" beamed Constable BB, proudly - he was proud of his learning of the these inquiss-iative phrases ....

"tis' the hay mark you - and the stables!" winked barli.

"now then, lad ..perhaps you'd be a good enough to tell me what you were about last night with the maid, melwen?"
Old 11-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #549
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

“Now what is she doing?” Udu thought angrily as Lilly began undulating wildly in the jeweler’s shop. The jeweler was obviously impressed by her performance, and Udu would have been too under other circumstances.

“All she needs are veils and ankle bells, and considerably less garments to restrain her movements.” He remembered her performances back in Mordor and saw that her skills had only gotten better over the years. “Now I know what Pengolod sees in her,” he thought, “but he should demand that she always dance while gagged.”

Udu turned as the doorbell rang and saw the shocked faces of Miriel and Malaphel as they stood in the doorway. Their angry looks told him that they now thought him utterly reprehensible. “No, they are not my wives!” was Udu’s sharp retort in thought-speech to Lilly’s question. “Lilaewen, I had hoped to use them to gather information, but I think your performance today has made that impossible!”

He felt on the verge of throttling Lilaewen when Khamul stepped into the shop. “At least Khamul can exercise some measure of control over her,” he thought as Khamul intimidated her into leaving. “Someone must, or she will be the ruination of us all here!”

His eyes met Khamul’s. “The library... this evening... around 7 o’clock. I will be there, and as you have requested, unarmed.”

He turned back to face the jeweler who had judiciously pretended not to notice the scene and was arranging goods along the selves. Udu thought of asking the shopkeeper if he stocked any ankle bells, but thought better of it. He settled the bill, and after the merchant had wrapped his packages, he left the store.

As he strolled along the Street of Hours, Udu caught snatches of conversations from passersby.

“...the wagoner was unhurt, but they say his horse broke the trace straps and ran away...”

“...an Easterling...They say he travels the inns of Tharbad drinking bottle upon bottle in each inn...”

“...the governor’s daughters... they looked so angry as they walked up the street. What do you think that is all about?”

“...exotic Eastern dancing in the Seven Stars?! Did you ever hear the like of it?”

“...strange goings on...”

“Apparently,” Udu chuckled to himself, “some drunken Easterling savage is terrorizing Tharbad, frightening horses, angering the governor’s daughters and promoting exotic dancing in a jewelry shop. What is the world coming to? All now that we need is for these matters to come to the King’s ears.”

He crossed Cherant Formen, turned onto Menetar, and walked towards the university. Perhaps he would have a few drinks with old Bumbledore and Fernik before going to the library for a little chat with Lord Khamul. “Perhaps the Eastern dancers will be entertaining later tonight... I wonder if Lilly will be wearing ankle bells. This promises to be an interesting evening,” he thought.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #550
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

earlier that day, around the eighth hour of the morn

"All's wel- ..." began the town crier, before a quick shake of the head from Constable BB a walking past stopped him ...

Later in the afternoon around 4pm

"All's we ..." began the Town crier, as barli again passing by in the opposite direction gave him another shake of the head and a wink.

after a slight pause and a confused momment of thought he cried out

"All's fair to middling!"
Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #551
CrazySquirrel

Street of the Hours, Monday, 4.30 PM.

Hissing like an angry cat, Lilly walked briskly towards the Cherant Formen, She didn’t want to go to Orrodel, while Khamul was still there. She came to the little bridge and stopped, loathe crossing the water. An hour ago, in her excitement and happiness, she crossed the canal without thinking about it; now the sight and smell of the water made goose bumps appear on her arms. Lilly shivered and suddenly uttered a short, but very unladylike word in the Common tongue, making well-dressed ladies and gents stare in disapproval.

"Drauglin’s pelt!" She forgot her mink coat at the jeweller’s!

Lilly looked behind apprehensively. Khamul was probably following her. Lilly turned left, ran for one block along the canal, noticing a curious barge moored at the bank. Then she made her way back along a narrow street parallel to the Street of the Hours. When the street ended, Lilly turned left again and soon found herself right across the street from the "Seven Stars". Lilly looked left and right, but both Udu and Khamul were nowhere in sight.

Lilly dashed across the street and into the shop. The shopkeeper looked at her with round eyes, dreading some more dances, perhaps. A dark-haired Elf turned from contemplating hair accessories on the counter before her, and lo! It was Rian, the ex-housekeeper! The bloody Elf was staring at her, as brazenly as usual. Lilly flashed a killing glance at the Elf; a glance holding promise of revenge she will get one day. Without a word, Lilly snatched her coat from the chair, where it lay unnoticed, and banged the door behind her.

It was unwise to remain in the street, while Khamul was prowling around. The best idea was to seek company of some mortals: then Khamul would not be able to hurt her in front of the witnesses. Lilly crossed the street at a run and entered an inn opposite the shop, with a sign of the Singing Swan. She looked around and saw two dignified-looking men slumped, somewhat, at a table. Ah, the professors! Uhm... Bumbledore and Fernik? Udu liked them… Lilly approached, putting on her most engaging smile.

"Good day to you, honourable professors. I am Lilaenwen, Professor Galadannun’s sister. I am looking for a good friend of mine, Professor Maethor. Have you seen him?"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-23-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #552
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Jas digged old Bumble in the ribs ... amidst merry snores he woke up with a rather bewildered "whoooahh?", his eye darting and dancing around rather comically like a slippery fish out of water ... with a great cry of "Melons!" he sat up with a sudden start ....

Jas Fernick stood up, a rather shy and uncertain smile playing on his lips, though his eyes were alight and seeing the exceedingly voluptous lady smiling most engagingly at him, bowed a small, rather cautious but warm welcome...

"Professor Fernik, at your service!"

Sir Bumbledore had not got to where he was, y'know, without being very fast on the uptake (and though his mind now was prone to wander, often in various directions at once, and through times past, present and often recently ... imagined! he was still sharp as mustard when the situation demanded)

Spinning round rather hapharzardly, he noticed the beautiful young lady in the glinting jewellery, and decided rather astutely, the situation demanded it now ...

with a dignity that belied his attire, his recent repose and his rather rich aroma of wine and pipeweed, he slowly stood and bowing most charismatically, extended a hand to the lady in front of him.

"Sir Bumbledore, at your service, my lady!"

he caressed the words out smoothly with a smile that said the day had indeed just brightened ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-23-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #553
Rían

R*an was thoroughly enjoying looking at the lovely hair accessories - a different style than in Gondolin, but certainly very nice - when someone bustled into the shop. It was the Lady Lilly, and in no good mood, either, but she never seemed to be in a good mood around R*an, so she wasn't too surprised. She was taken aback, however, by the intense malice in the look that Lilly gave her. "What in the world does she have against me, anyway?" she wondered, as Lilly picked up a jacket she had apparently left behind and stormed out, banging the door behind her. "Whatever - I'm just glad to be out of Orrodel!" she thought with relief, and then she thought of her brother, and all thoughts of the unpleasant residents of Orrodel vanished like a mist as a lovely smile spread across her face.

She turned to the shopkeeper with a smile. "These are just lovely, but I think I'm not quite ready to decide yet. Thank you for showing them to me, and I'm sure I'll be back soon." She inclined her head graciously as the shopkeeper held open the door for her, and he was left to contemplate the different types of beauty that he had seen in the two women that had just been in his store. The first was like wares arranged beautifully and efficiently in a marketplace stall, with a propriator pointing out their attractions (and the wares certainly were attractive, there was no question about that!), but the second was like ... he remembered back long ago when he wasn't so keen on making money for money's sake - when it was for the sake of providing for those he loved and doing things he loved, and not an end in itself - he used to sometimes close the shop early and take walks in the twilight with his wife, and once they had come across a small, hidden hollow between some trees, filled with fragrant flowers, that they had never guessed was even there ... beauty at rest, waiting to be discovered and enjoyed, and happy in itself during the waiting ...

He decided that it was too long since he had taken a walk. He had certainly done well that day, thanks to the other lady, and he would just close up early and surprise his wife with a little gift. He picked out his favorite piece among the hair accessories, wrapped it nicely, put a notice in the window, and closed up shop.

Last edited by Rían : 11-23-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #554
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Scars, Trick and Treat after having had their fun in the Reception hall went on a hike through the City's narrow streets.

Passing the ring between them, they were winking in and out.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #555
CrazySquirrel

Lilly smiled brightly at the owlish professors. "It is a great honour to meet you, Honourable Professors! I know, you, sir Bumbledore, are teaching Commerce, and you, sir Fernik, are teaching Wine-tasting! Why, it is exactly the two classes I am taking! Both of them and nothing else! I always thought these two topics fascinating!"

Both Jas and Bumble beamed at her, full awake now.

"If you allow me but sit with you for awhile and wait for my friend Maethor? We have an appointment in this inn, but he is not here yet, and I am afraid to sit alone in a public place. Those men around seem too much interested in me already. But I am sure, I have nothing to dread in a company of two prominent Tharbad citizens and scholars!"

Lilly noticed a chair, proffered by Fernik, and sat down regally. She nodded to Bumbledore and Fernik. "Please, sit down, there is no need to stand in front of your humble pupil." Lilly’s golden eyelashes fluttered mischievously. "Let me order some wine to celebrate our acquaintance. But I need your advice, sir Fernik. We are from Rhun, my brothers and I, we are used to Dorwinion wine, but I am not familiar with wines of the West. Can you help me, please?"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-24-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:09 PM   #556
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Those men around seem too much interested in me already. But I am sure, I have nothing to dread in a company of two prominent Tharbad citizens and scholars!"

Bumble and Jas cast startled looks briefly at each other ... now that wasn't something they heard everyday...
Old 11-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #557
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Street of the Hours, Monday, around 5:15 PM.

After departing from the Seven Stars, Udu had first thought of going to the university and leaving the gifts he had bought for his wives in his apartments. Instead, he turned left on Menetar and walked to his new house near the livery stable. Taking out the key from a great loop on his belt, he unlocked the door and stepped inside to a hall leading to the kitchen and servants’ quarters.

Passing by that and walking down a long corridor, he went into his great hall. With the addition of some more furniture, a few tapestries, his own banners, the hall would be quite comfortable. He left the room and went down another hall and came to a stairway. Going up the stairs into another hallway, he came to a door to the bedroom that he had designated as “the master bedroom.” He placed his parcels on a small table near the bed and looked about the room.

“Quite comfortable,” he thought as he walked to the center of the room. Intoning a few words, he cast a spell to ward the whole room - the door, the windows, every last nook - against intruders. He thought of the spell he had just laid. “It would take a maia to pass these barriers secretly... those who would pass openly would have to tear the door down, and quite soon, they would wish they hadn’t.”

He thought he might spend the night there. Then tomorrow, he could bring the few belongings that he had stored in his apartments at the university. He took the covering from a piece of furniture, a wine cabinet. All he needed for tonight would be an ample supply of wine.

Udu left the house and strolled southeast until he came to the junction of the Street of Hours. Old Bumbledore would be expecting him for a drink about now at the Singing Swan. Then there was that appointment with Khamûl at 7 o’clock.

“Plenty of time for that,” he thought as he walked towards the inn. He began to sense the presence of another of his own kind. “Lilaenwen!” he exclaimed. “Not again!” But there was no way out of it; he had promised Bumbledore and Fernik that he would be back to share a few rounds with them.

As he walked into the public room of the Swan, he saw Fernik and Bumbledore at the table, and indeed, Lilly was with them.

“Gentlemen,” he smiled pleasantly, “I have come back to join you for a few drinks... but I see that you are in the company of a lovely companion.”

In thought-speech, he warned, “One word out of you, Lilaenwen, and you might be looking for a new tongue. And no dancing!”

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-24-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 AM   #558
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

"We are from Rhun, my brothers and I, we are used to Dorwinion wine, but I am not familiar with wines of the West. Can you help me, please?"

Jas blinked twice, and forced himself to look up from her ample bosom to her equally enticing eyes. He was concious of a warm feeling of self-contentment, that such a lovely lady could value his opinion, and untangling his vocal cords, did as she desired. It is doubtful whether either either Bumbledore or Lily heard much as he discoursed on he wines of the West. Bumbledore was quite busy staring at Lily, and unobtrusively pushing his chair closer to hers, and Lily was asking herself why she had asked such an idiotic question. She ought to have remembered that men love to show off, and that a lecture would be coming her way.

"... in fact, I have an excellent supply of the best miruvor available, and would be happy to help stock up your wine cellar." Jas concluded, with a bow and a beaming smile.

Lily was quick to accept, and while effusively thanking him, she racked her brains for a way to head him off before he could start again. She was however saved the trouble, when Udukhaturz walked in, and addressed the two professors: "Gentlemen, I have come back to join you for a few drinks... but I see that you are in the company of a lovely companion.”

"We owe you the honour of her company, of course. She has been waiting this last half-an-hour for you, or didn't you know?" Jas piped up, "But here we are at an inn, and all our glasses are empty. My fair lady, what will you have?"

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 11-25-2005 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #559
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

[I]"What was so important that you had to tail me? You do realize that there are less dangerous ways of getting my attention?"

Facing the angry Elf, and her still dangerous dagger, Tolvadok cursed himself inwardly. A nice mess he had made of things! He would be lucky if she stayed that knife long enough for him to get a word in.

"My name is Girithron, and I am a travelling scholar. I have only come to Tharbad yesterday." Seeing his face, Mahtaliel now recognized him as the young man she had seen coming out of the Chancellor's office, and loosened her hold somewhat, so that Tolvadok could talk more freely.

"I only wanted to talk about, well... you are the professor for Arts and History here, aren't you?"

She nodded, and he went on, "I only wanted a word with you about doing your classes, but when I found you at the Arts building, you had already left, and I was only trying to catch up with you. Believe me, I had no intention of tailing you, and if I conveyed that impression somehow, then I am truly sorry."

"You should have talked to the Chancellor about this, I have no authority in this matter." was her cold reply, as she turned to go.

"Look, hear me out! I really need your help..." Perhaps it was his youth, or his good looks, or his pleading voice, but Mahtaliel stayed.

Encouraged, Tolvadok pressed his advantage- "I did talk with the Chancellor, but it didn't go so well. You see, I already have a degree in Arts and History... I studied in Pelargir for a few years. But I never managed to complete my studies there, and I was hoping to finish them here, in Tharbad. But the Chancellor..." A look of distress marred his face, as though at a painful recollection. "He refused my application to join your classes. You see, I did not have the- the means, to complete my studies in Pelargir, and the Chancellor made it clear that he thinks I am unfit for his university..."

"And how do you suggest I help?" Mahtaliel asked, but the icy tone was gone now.

"Well, maybe you could talk to the Chancellor on my behalf, persuade him? I don't know any body else here, and I was not sure who to approach for help. You don't have to worry, I will pay for my classes, somehow. But I really need that degree..." His enthusiasm was painful to see.

Mahtaliel frowned, thinking, “You’re welcome to sit in on the classes unofficially… I’m not sure it would help even if I did talk to the Chancellor, we are not on the best of terms. If you come to the classes and do the work and show that you’re willing, I’ll see what I can do."

"I thank you! I will be endebted to you forever. But before you go, can I trouble you once more? If I am to do your classes I shall need to find work of some kind. If you hear of something that needs to be done... maybe an assisstant post, or well... anything... then would you tell me?"

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 12-22-2005 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Dol Amrath doesn't exist yet
Old 11-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #560
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Home of Itazel and Danor
Monday, afternoon

Eärniel briefly poked her head into the kitchen before leaving.
“Itazel, I almost forgot to tell you, Tyaron has left Tharbad for two days.”
“Oh,” Itazel looked somewhat surprised. “He didn’t say anything about that when he got here this morning. I hope it wasn’t the prospect of my cooking...”
“I doubt it was that,” Eärniel reassured her. “He only told us moments before he left. I take it that it was somewhat an impulsive decision.”
“Oh. Well then, that means more food for the rest of us tonight. I doubt Danor will mind much.”

Eärniel and Alagos stepped outside.

“What I had in mind for showing you?” Eärniel repeated. “ Ah, I was thinking of going to the Art Museum on Amon Amrun, we won’t have time to visit the Art Museum itself but it has a lovely park.”
“Ah, yes. It is indeed lovely.”
“So you have seen it already, I see. How about the Rochdol field then?”
“I’ve been there too.”

Eärniel looked disappointed for a moment then laughed out loud.
“That will teach me to try and show a city to someone who has been here as long as I have! Then how does a stroll past the watch tower to the Northern gate and back sound? ”
“That will be fine,” Alagos said with a smile. “It’s this way, is it not?”

“Indeed it is, Eärniel said with some surprise. “I see you’ve made good use of your time in Tharbad already.”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, between giving R*an Hwesta and later letting her know that you and Tyaron are still alive after all this years, you also managed to see more of Tharbad than I. And all that in a single day, I’m impressed. Although I gather you had planned for even more, like say: seeing R*an well and properly engaged as well before the night was over.”

Alagos felt blood flow to his cheeks. “Ah, she told you about that, did she?”
“A few things, not all,” Eärniel admitted.
“You know, It didn’t go entirely the way you just put it.”
“So you didn’t grant Tyaron permission to court R*an right in front of her, only minutes after she found out you and he had been alive all along when she had been considering you both dead and lost?” Eärniel asked innocently.
“What is wrong with that? Tyaron loves her. And he has been waiting very long.”
“Regardless of that, you two didn’t exactly give R*an much time to come to terms with the fact that she still has a brother and a friend after so many years of mourning them. Would waiting just a day longer before trying to marry her off have made such a difference that you could not risk it? For someone who has literally the time of world, you have been in quite a hurry.” She added with a smile.
Alagos was becoming a little irritated at having his judgment questioned so.
“I think R*an and Tyaron make a good pair.” He said defensively.
“So they would,” Eärniel said calmly, “but should that not be R*an’s decision also? Surely, since the Eldar choose but once, yet wisely, these things should not be rushed?”
“Tyaron loves R*an but he will not wait forever for her to make up her mind. He doesn’t care about the fact that she is of the Pereldar, while not everyone is so accommodating. I know from experience most people would pull back when they learn about the mixed parentage.”

Eärniel noticed the bitterness in his voice and was silent for a while.
“I am surprised that you of all people could not understand their reasons for that.” She said quietly.
“What reasons would that be?”

Eärniel stopped walking and said: “Only for the Eldar forever can also mean forever. So it is not a choice to be lightly made. What can one do if after a few yén one’s mate, who has the choice of the Pereldar, also makes that choice and chooses the fate of the Secondborn? To age, to die and to pass beyond the bounds of this world, where no Elf can follow? To go where the other cannot? And so to be separated from one another until at last the world is broken and made anew? That is a very long time… And for some a fate too harsh to bear. Is it so unwise for those to reconsider before giving their heart to one of the Pereldar?”

“But I wonder,” she continued quietly, almost absent-mindedly, as if she was talking to herself and had forgotten Alagos was there, “If one truly loves someone, isn’t even a short period of time together not better than nothing… Celebr*an at least does not seem to fear it…”

Alagos made no reply.

Cries of playing children a few streets away brought Eärniel back out of her reverie. She glanced back at Alagos but then looked away again. “But I see I spoke out of turn and too frankly,” she murmured. “My apologies. Now let us hurry, we are late and R*an will be waiting already.”

Last edited by Earniel : 11-25-2005 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling