Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #521
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Dressage, forgot the 'r' last time. It is really just a type of training for the horse and rider. It has nothing to do with silly getups or making the horse walk funny.

Quote:
At the peak of a dressage horse's gymnastic development, it can smoothly respond to a skilled rider's minimal aids by performing the requested movement while remaining relaxed and appearing effortless. Although the discipline has ancient roots, dressage was first recognized as an important equestrian pursuit in the West during the Renaissance. The great European riding masters of that period developed a sequential training system that has changed little since then.
If done correctly, it makes the communication between horse and rider seemless and there is a level of understanding between horse and rider that allows the horse to pick up cues from the rider with minimal amount of flailing limbs or shouting from the rider. It also strengthens the horse and makes it comfortable with actions and manuvers it might have to go through during combat, such as rearing and striking while mounted, quick pivots and flying lead changes.

Anyways, it's kinda lame to try and convey dressage through writing, especially if nobody understands the terms. I was thinking on doing that with Carnehillion, but scrapped it.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #522
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh, but just add a youtube vid or something. I've never really liked it, but it is impressive to look at.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #523
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Dressage, forgot the 'r' last time. It is really just a type of training for the horse and rider. It has nothing to do with silly getups or making the horse walk funny.

If done correctly, it makes the communication between horse and rider seemless and there is a level of understanding between horse and rider that allows the horse to pick up cues from the rider with minimal amount of flailing limbs or shouting from the rider. It also strengthens the horse and makes it comfortable with actions and manuvers it might have to go through during combat, such as rearing and striking while mounted, quick pivots and flying lead changes.

Anyways, it's kinda lame to try and convey dressage through writing, especially if nobody understands the terms. I was thinking on doing that with Carnehillion, but scrapped it.
Perfect for Rohirrim horses. I've never seen it done so I won't be having Aelfwine do anything like that.

Shooting an apple off Orthil's character's head sound good

j/k

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #524
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Which all comes to remind me... Earniel, how are we going to masquerade as a bunch of entertainers when we are all armed to the teeth and all but blinging with armor, both human(oids) and their horses?

About the only one of us without arms or armor is Ellysa. Good luck trying to get us to ditch the armor, what are we gonna do? We didn't happen to have a handy plot hole along with us, like a wagon to stow it in? All we had were Haldis' mules.

Hah! I know the name of our fellowship! Trouble-making Troubadours!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 06-24-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #525
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I hadn't really considered the armour an obstacle before. I guess I assumed even the Ultai know that a travelling group of entertainers must be able to defend itself from raiders when travelling. And I suppose some of the armour might even be considered a costume, (mostly thinking of Hedrim's rich, shiny gear here) the adventurers would no doubt look out-landish to the Ultai.

I like Trouble-Making Troubadours. Very fitting.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #526
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Which all comes to remind me... Earniel, how are we going to masquerade as a bunch of entertainers when we are all armed to the teeth and all but blinging with armor, both human(oids) and their horses?

About the only one of us without arms or armor is Ellysa. Good luck trying to get us to ditch the armor, what are we gonna do? We didn't happen to have a handy plot hole along with us, like a wagon to stow it in? All we had were Haldis' mules.
Um, Aelfwine doesn't excatly have armor. Her father's is a little too big for her. All she really has is a pair of bracers
Quote:
Hah! I know the name of our fellowship! Trouble-making Troubadours!
That is perfect!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #527
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Baru doesn't have armor either. And her bow and arrows are mainly for hunting anyway ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #528
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabril doesn't have any armour either, it'd only slow her down - she's not likely to react favorably to the idea of stashing any of her weapons anywhere, though.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #529
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, this is it, now it's up to you guys. Have fun. I'm off on holiday.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #530
Varnafindë

I was rereading the thread, to see whether it would be reasonable for Baru to have a small instrument, not a harp, but perhaps a lyre - and what did I find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Barufiniel was helping them preparing everything for the adventurers they were all expecting, and sometimes, when they needed a break, she would take out her lyre to accompany the singing. Nimlothel had left her her grand harp, which she would yet have to learn how to play, and which she had left at home at Imladris. The lyre was better suited for travelling.
I had already been thinking along the right lines ...
It will be used soon

Edit:
And then it has been used! One of my longer posts

You may recognize the song about Rivendell - lifted straight out of The Hobbit.
The song that Baru sings with the starling, is my own creation, inspired by 'Adam gave names to all the animals'.
I've already used it once in an RP on a different board, where Baru's cousin Nimlothel is singing it (with a talking raven doing the imitations). I haven't written any words for it.

I have assumed that tunes - like story themes - would have travelled far enough to have entered into many different cultures, and that some tunes would be known both to Baru and to the Ultai.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 07-16-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: To add some more
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #531
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I loved your last post, Varna! Especially where the starling joins in - very creative of Baru!

Just a quick explanation of Tabrîl's thoughts - an Avarin kithir is an instrument (invented by me) very similar to, but not identical to, a lyre. So while Baru may have a perfectly made lyre, Tabrîl's (very wrong!) assumption is that it's a faulty kithir.

Because she's ethnocentric like that.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #532
Varnafindë

It isn't all creativity on Baru's part - her cousin has told her about her own performance, but it's good that Baru remembered it just at the right time.

I told Aika in an email that I would have Baru ask Tabril for permission to sit down, but after that we'll not usually discuss details of our posts in advance. Aika says that half of the fun of RPing is having the other character react unexpectedly to your character, and I tend to agree. So we'll let Baru commit social blunders (from the Kindi point of view ), and let me learn about the Kindi culture along with her.

Baru knows that there's nothing wrong with her lyre, so she will be confused if Tabril shows that she thinks it is faulty. Which Tabril may or may not show

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #533
Varnafindë

Quote:
Baru knows that there's nothing wrong with her lyre, so she will be confused if Tabril shows that she thinks it is faulty. Which Tabril may or may not show
But since Tabril explains it so openly, Baru is able to understand the reason

Sorry it took me so long to work out the answer

Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #534
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

She's unsettling Tabrîl by virtue of being so polite. It's not quite what she expected of her.

Tabrîl, by the way, is ~7200, if we accept that 1 Valian year = ~9.5 solar years. She's a little younger than Galadriel. Not by much, relatively speaking.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #535
Varnafindë

Quote:
behavior that seemed understandable to her. Barufiniel's quickness to mention her kinship to the in'kasha Galadriel, for instance
Which probably didn't happen for the reasons Tabril thinks it did
Baru used Galadriel as an example because she might be a well-known name, not as a means to mention the kinship.

Quote:
we'll not usually discuss details of our posts in advance. [...] So we'll let Baru commit social blunders (from the Kindi point of view ), and let me learn about the Kindi culture along with her.
Aika has now pointed out to me a couple of potential blunders, which I'll have Baru commit later, to explore the cultural differences
What's in the interests of a character is not always the same as what's in the interests of the author

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #536
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

awww im liking baru and tabrils little talk!

i didnt know what im going to do to keep nami entertained over the summer once she's done her little talent show!

im thinking that she's come out of her moaning now (that was quick!) who is left over the summer to talk to is it just us three?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #537
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I don't know if there's anyone else planning to join us over the summer - if not, Nami can join Tabril and Baru a little later on, maybe? I'm looking forward to seeing Nami's act.

Quote:
What's in the interests of a character is not always the same as what's in the interests of the author
Quite. Tabril would much prefer to sit alone and sharpen shiny knives than to be sociable. But that's a lot less fun to write.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #538
Varnafindë

I suppose Nami can join the two others when she has finished performing, yes!

And even though she may have gotten through the most intense period of her mourning, it doesn't mean that she has stopped mourning - she's just into another phase of it, where it is more calm and less visible, more easy to handle. Judging by my own experiences with mourning, the attacks of pain will come and go, becoming less and less frequent, but never stop completely.

Unless Quickleaf returns, of course. Which Coffeehouse means him to do, if he comes back himself - but Nami doesn't know about that.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #539
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

it will be interesting to see how she reacts to quickleaf coming back! one good thing about writing if you know stuff about the character!

nami is not her fun loving self yet but she is getting there. dont worry she's not just going to act like its all in the past!

especially after her earlier attempts with Nami had failed so utterly

lol liking the little dig at Nami! less fail more very large misunderstanding!

Last edited by feawen : 07-20-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #540
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
She presumed that one of the others would have told the new elf the story of her arrival...
Of course, if nobody did (on- or off-screen) Baru's got to be so confused right now.

Poor Nami. It's not her fault Tabrîl hasn't got a lot of patience.

Closed Thread