FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #521
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Wait... WHAT did I just drink!?!?!?

Never mind that Val... You will know later.

May I tell you that not drinking the welcome cup to the last dregs is highly impolite?!! You better drink all of it...

Was it the Shadow of Valendil's Father?
the unquiet Spirit of Isildur the Sorcerer
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #522
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Serenoli, Wonderful post, wonderful character. Congratulations!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #523
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
And what about Khamul? Has he got no family, eh, TD?
Answered in my latest RPG post.

Yeah nice post Serenoli. Welcome to out RPG.

Gordis, is there any chance of having Udu directly oppoisite Khamûl? If not then that's ok.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #524
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Answered in my latest RPG post.

Gordis, is there any chance of having Udu directly oppoisite Khamûl? If not then that's ok.
It is so sad. Poor Khamul. Never even had a mistress? No wonder, he is so cruel...

Well I can do that in 3 minutes. I hope Udu will not be against. I shall do this in an hour, when I come home. I am still at work...
Old 10-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #525
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Okay, thanks Gor.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #526
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

You know, I had this idea just now about Khamul, and it's meant ALL GOOD, so please don't even THINK about taking offense or anything, TD - this is a complimentary thing, but... what if Khamul were closet gay? That would account for all the resentment, and pent-up bitterness translating as cruelty, and plus he's lonely & deprived of a partner. Maybe one of the other as yet un-brought in Nazgul (aren't there two of us left who haven't arrived yet to Tharbad?) can ALSO be gay - VERY manly gay, though, they would be. Khamul is all billy-goat gruff and masculine as all get out! Anyway, as soon as I read this last (VERY good, BTW) post of yours, wherein it's explained that Khamul never has even KISSed a girl (he's HOW old?) it just occured to me that being gay and closeted with it may just be one of Khamul's big problems, and it helps make him the meanie he tends to be - being unable, or too scared inside, to "out" himself.

Anyway. It's just a theory.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #527
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Serenoli - Ciao! Welcome!! I'm glad you joined us. About the dwarf question, you know I have been wondering the same exact thing since this RPG started, but never mentioned anything since I wasn't prepared to play a Dwarven character myself, but it seems like having a Dwarf in Tharbad would be an OUTSTANDING idea. Very cool. I only just now logged on, and haven't had a chance yet to read ALL of last night's new story posts; I just now read the disc. thread & saw you mentioning dwarves. Can't wait to read what you've contributed!
(edit 2 add later on) - Just read your post, LOVELY!!! I wish BB would have spoken to Jas a little more than just "Evenin', Jas" because it feels just right that Jas & Bumble would pal up in the story. I really enjoy your new addition, Serenoli; BRAVO!!

Gordis - You have no idea how wonderful you've made me feel, and how motivated, with that awesome compliment. THANK YOU!!! I really enjoyed your post from last night, as well; what I always appreciate and enjoy so much about your posts in particular is how you introduce so much canon history, and interweave it so skillfully and easily into the story, and how well you include bits of info for the backgrounds and traits for all our characters. I get the most valuable and fun & easy to read and digest information pertaining to "Nazguls, Inc." (my nickname 4 our RPG )from every single post you make. Again, Grazie Molto!!!

Valandil - Ringwraiths have the SWEETEST breath in Middle-Earth, when they aren't in terror-mode!! Think about it - they are evil, right? And true evil has the market cornered in deception, right? Lucifer (Satan) was the most BEAUTIFUL being in existence, according to the Christian Bible, no? I bet he had the best breath around. Also - Gordis is right; it is extremely BAD form (especially, particularly for a KING no less) not to drain the contents of the initial toast goblet offered you. That's the way it is! If Valandil Isildurion is truly a strong-minded Dunedain king, the contents of that goblet will most likely not have the full effect anyways (whatever it is! ); what's the man so scared of?

Grey Wolf - Well, I love all your animals, and the animal kingdom sub-plots that both you and Butterbeer do. I love your animals, and I hope you keep having them do stuff. It's not fair if people make you stop doing animal scenes.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-17-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #528
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse

Grey Wolf - Well, I love all your animals, and the animal kingdom sub-plots that both you and Butterbeer do. I love your animals, and I hope you keep having them do stuff. It's not fair if people make you stop doing animal scenes.
Let's see what I come up with later on. I'll have a deep think.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM   #529
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Hi, All, Wonderful posts today. I am intrigued.

I have posted a little bit, along Lotesse's lines (really great beginning, Lotesse!!!) now Khamul is free to feel pain when he so chooses.

I don't think either Khamul, or TD want to be gay, Lotesse. He is just the cold warrior type, uninterested in niceties of life. Gay is somhow not compatible with Tolkien. Just my opinion, that's all.

Sorry Guys, I have to run. No time today at all. Ciao ALL!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #530
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Maybe they could 'talk'. Khamûl could get to know that real Mahtaliel, get inside her head.
*snerk* This line made me laugh. Why do I get the feeling that this is going to lead to a really weird form of flirting between these two?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #531
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Shah - I forgot 2 mention, wonderful post!! I'm so glad we're interacting again. I love the way Ray is sounding very gentilly down-to-MiddleEarth, in that he sees Viv as is perfectly dressed the way she is now, without her having to put on a fancy dinner dress. And I think I'm going to keep it that way - remember, she's wearing a particularly snappy, yet elegantly feminine riding/hunting outfit - the diamond-trimmed, low scooped-neck Elven-designed dark grey cashmere top and matching fine woolen riding breeches, with shiny black suede-bottomed riding boots, and her mithril amethyst barrettes in her hair etcetera. Do girls in Tolkien-world ever wear pants? Probably not, but Viv could care less; she will wear what she feels like wearing, and she is quite tomboyish so wearing this chic outfit will be very like her. It is a very exquisitely made outfit, mind you - very "money" and classically elegant, just not what girls probably normally wear. This way and attitude is part of her character's unique aspect; her tomboyish yet decidedly feminine style.

Now - about Khamul. It's not an idea for TD, for crying out loud! It was for Khamul. And who knows, maybe Tolkien DID intend for homosexuality to have existed in his Middle-Earth, yet never explicitly stated it. It can be implied. Who are we to say? Anyway, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. It was just a personal theory I had. See, NO man alive or un-dead will go throughout their enTIRE male existence, especially for as long as Nazgul exist, without even trying out ONE WOMAN, or ONE girl!! Well anyway. Gotta go read your new post now, CS - can't wait!

Old 10-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #532
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, lotesse, there is evidence to support your theory:

originally posted by TD just earlier:

Quote:
Yeah nice post Serenoli. Welcome to out RPG.

freudian slip there td?

Now you know i am just kidding right?

so, please do not take any offence etc.

Could be fun. BUT only if TD wanted to, which at a guess i suspect probably he won't ... can khamul sing though? he could be the Cliff richard of tharbad!

sorry ... moving on ...

Lotesse:
Quote:
I wish BB would have spoken to Jas a little more than just "Evenin', Jas"
... yeah well i was at work and had to log off pronto toot-sweet.

Quote:
I agree Sir grey wolf for me it is all sorted what we planned out will work well, have falco as leader of the Mountain Guild of predators and all the guilds under one friendly Guild umbrella and a constituent part of the Grand alliance ... no problem there ... so it's all still good.
the nazgul agents (the wolves) can still stand though it needs seemlessly writing in ... but as many said ... NO one knows .. least of all elrond that any nazgul are here... so that bit is already sorted ... so no problems mate

carry on ...thumbs up . etc

i too am looking forward to the mountain GOP's arrival ... and the friendly meeting with falco and boomerang ... they have much to discuss here in the North and of the Western alliance.

BTW all GW and i agreed that the buzzard had gone rogue and was not an assasination attempt or prelude to war...

Finally in place of honour (oh before i forget ... yup, great Post lotesse! - ... you know i was thinking this just last night: it IS easy to forget or rather take for granted the high standard of writing and depth of this rpg ... if you look at some of the other rpg's outside of this one it makes you realise the quality of it ... vibrant, well written, strong discussion thread, friendly (occasionally fiery but that is to be expected ) and as lotesse says we have people like Gor, Valandil, Td ... etc etc the list is pretty exhaustive ... (no offence anyone left out ...but you get the point) etc ... adding real canon depth and with the ability to weave this into AU ...

right where was i?

oh yeah, finally in place of honour ... last but not least

Serengoli: very good first post, well written and fluidly done. ... also thanks for saying hello to bumble .. you are the first to do so!

(though just how he got there * looks askance at udu* will remain a mystery ... i had thought of having him carried by four footmen, to catch up with the others ... and what of tradition ... should he not have accompanied a nubile young MM to the table ... now he certainly has (and still does if he can!) kissed a few maids in his time ...

heh khamul you wanta see the sights of tharbad with Bumble and Constable BB one night sometime?

reminds me again Lotesse ... very well handled the dialogue with Constable BB... liked it alot .. (though he is not the chief, merely a constable ... and the watch are technically seperate from the nasty Guards ... Boooo! *pantomime mode BB here* but it all made good sense anyway.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #533
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
I agree Sir grey wolf for me it is all sorted what we planned out will work well, have falco as leader of the Mountain Guild of predators and all the guilds under one friendly Guild umbrella and a constituent part of the Grand alliance ... no problem there ... so it's all still good.
the nazgul agents (the wolves) can still stand though it needs seemlessly writing in ... but as many said ... NO one knows .. least of all elrond that any nazgul are here... so that bit is already sorted ... so no problems mate

carry on ...thumbs up . etc

i too am looking forward to the mountain GOP's arrival ... and the friendly meeting with falco and boomerang ... they have much to discuss here in the North and of the Western alliance.

BTW all GW and i agreed that the buzzard had gone rogue and was not an assasination attempt or prelude to war...
I'll give it a try to sneak in the wolves to a GOP safe-house where they can have meeting with their Nazgûl camarados.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #534
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Fricking goofy ass names....blah..I'll put them in my sig so i dont forget, you happy?

*snerk* Break out the Rainbow colors for Khamul. Seriously, no one can be that cold without even trying something...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #535
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

TD - BTW, your latest post was the BOMB, one of your best yet! Each time you post, it gets better and better. Khamul becomes more and more complex and interesting to me, he's such a mystery, and possesses such dark, cruel, and angry sadness, I feel - truly Nazgullian, indeed! You are quite the writer, I must say.

Crazy Squirrel - Hilarious!! That was a cool post, I could perfectly picture that little scenario! Pen & Lilly are so endearing, those two!

Old 10-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #536
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

CS, very funny post. Poor Khamul...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Gordis - You have no idea how wonderful you've made me feel, and how motivated, with that awesome compliment. THANK YOU!!! I really enjoyed your post from last night, as well; what I always appreciate and enjoy so much about your posts in particular is how you introduce so much canon history, and interweave it so skillfully and easily into the story, and how well you include bits of info for the backgrounds and traits for all our characters. I get the most valuable and fun & easy to read and digest information pertaining to "Nazguls, Inc." (my nickname 4 our RPG )from every single post you make. Again, Grazie Molto!!!

Valandil ...Also - Gordis is right; it is extremely BAD form (especially, particularly for a KING no less) not to drain the contents of the initial toast goblet offered you. That's the way it is! If Valandil Isildurion is truly a strong-minded Dunedain king, the contents of that goblet will most likely not have the full effect anyways (whatever it is! ); what's the man so scared of?
Thank you Lotesse for your kind words, and you also, BB. I envy the fluidity of your writing, I can never equal it.

As for Valandil , I really believe we have a problem here. Why have the Chancellor and Aiwendis chosen to make him drink the potion in such an obvious way - in a welcome cup, instead of filling his goblet with it during the meal?
Because, HE HAD TO DRAIN THE WELCOME CUP DOWN TO THE LAST DREG.

Really, Val, what are you afraid of? The Moon was waning on that night, you will not become mad with love anyway. But why won't you develop this interesting LOVE POTION LINE? Wouldn't it be interesting to feel torn between Aiwendis and Earniel, instead of continuing the rather dull line of pining for the Elf? Loving too women at once will be dramatic, fully unexpected and troubling for one of the Faithful.

Think on it, PLEASE.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-17-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #537
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hear, hear.

I also like the gemstone-in-the-bottom idea that Willow just wrote in - that can be combined with whatever it is Aiwendis has supplemented the goblet with, and the fact that it is CUSTOMARY as per an old estanblished tradition, to drain the goblet not only 2 be polite and lead a dinner toast with, but literally to receive the gemstone gift at the bottom... anyway.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #538
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*snerk* I like that idea too, its just like what we have at home, only ours is a golden coin...Happy...*prods Lotesse* post!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #539
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Ciao, Shah! I must log off for a bit; but I'll be back in about an hour, and I'll post then. Story posts are coming in like a blizzard here today!! I'm so grateful I finally have better computer access, and can be here again.

Butterbeer - that was smoothly done! Cool beans, now Valandil is being put on the spot he MUST down his drink!

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-17-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #540
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Oops... you may just have been thwarted Gordis. Mahtaliel had a well-intentioned addition of her own to make to the welcome goblet.

Right, on the topic of gemstones, because this is likely to be a re-occuring thing in this story: Just about every popular gemstone has a set of superstitions, fabled properties, whatever name you want to call them, attached to it. For the purposes of this story, and because it fits in with the whole powerful jewelry thing, I am assuming that in Middle-Earth these superstitions are actualities.

Assuming that: Here's my reasons for having Mahtaliel put a Topaz in the welcome goblet:

Egyptians believed that the golden glow of topaz came from the mighty sun god Ra, and the gem was a powerful charm to protect the faithful from harm. Ancient Romans associated topaz with their sun god, Jupiter, while ancient Greeks believed that the stone made wearers stronger and even invisible during an emergency.

Topaz myths are numerous. In the Middle Ages, topaz was believed to have incredible medicinal powers, even protecting people against the plague. For healthy people, the jewel brought a pleasant disposition and patience, and was a symbol of fidelity and love. Topaz also lead to clear physical and mental sight by dispelling enchantment and improving eyesight.

If we take Numenoreans to be culturally similar to the Egyptians then those associations work quite well and should have some interesting effects.

And Gordis, I know that this potentially throws off the love potion, and I thought long and hard about whether or not to include it. I finally decided that the establishment of the place of gem-lore in the story was worth the thwarting. Hopefully you can agree?

EDIT: Gah! I keep posting simultaneously with other people!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-17-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread