Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 12:16 AM   #521
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

RE, I agree with that one. Emplynx, you kinda didn't answer my questions and points and you threw a buncha quotes at me from a book.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:17 AM   #522
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Hey, what Science is taught in Private Christian schools? I'm just curious because it seems to me that most of the Christians in this discussion seem to be ignoring science and evolution and the evidence there of. All the Science Text books that I've ever had and seen teach Evolution, etc. Do Christians believe in the very plausible Big bang theory and other Universe theories? Anyways, if Private schools don't teach evolution, etc, then what do they teach in science??? Do they teach science?
I think it depends on which school, which religion, and where in the world it is.
My schools had no problem with teaching religion in religion class and science in science class. Which is as it should be. The province (where I live, education is governed by the individual province) sets the regular curriculum, and all schools have to teach the standard curriculum. Religion class is an add-on to that and is set by the school. There is no overlap. I have no idea how it's done in the various Muslim, Sikh, and Jewish schools around the area though.

I think some parts of the US are just weird. They say "separation of church and state", which is totally right and fair, and then go and have public schools that have school prayers. I mean, unless you really have time to lead a prayer for each religion represented in the student population, you're going to cause some resentment, besides which, it's just a waste of time. It's so odd. I read about some case where some lady had to sue the courthouse for posting the 10 commandments by the doorway. The article said something about the central issue being whether the 10 commandments constitutes a religious document (therefore having no place in public state affairs) or a secular document on which the justice system is based. Some people just have no common sense. When rule number 1 reads "I the Lord am your God and you shall have no other Gods besides me...", if that's your idea of secular, then I shudder to think of what your idea of religious is. The idiot who thought that it would be OK to put it up should be sacked. It totally gives people a bad impression of the court. It's funny and sad at the same time. I don't know what the verdict was, but i get the impression that this kind of thing flares up alot.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:16 AM   #523
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
Sorry, I haven't been on for a while

You believe in God just because you read it in a book? How... gullible of you
*applauds*
Old 03-31-2002, 03:59 AM   #524
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Hey, what Science is taught in Private Christian schools? I'm just curious because it seems to me that most of the Christians in this discussion seem to be ignoring science and evolution and the evidence there of. All the Science Text books that I've ever had and seen teach Evolution, etc. Do Christians believe in the very plausible Big bang theory and other Universe theories? Anyways, if Private schools don't teach evolution, etc, then what do they teach in science??? Do they teach science?
HOBBIT I went to Catholic school all my life and like Mirrille - science and religion were always seperate in my school too. Also - most of my religion classes dealt with the meaning of the mass, what each part stood for, we had to learn the stations of the cross and the rest was basically teaching us how to be "good people" - we didn't do a lot of "Bible learning", although we did have some. In science class we learned evolution and standard science. - Religion was completely seperate from what we learned in the other classes. It wasn't the case however when we moved out to Indiana though and my brother and sister went to Catholic school out there. There every class revolved around religion. But actually in the public schools religion was also a big part in Indiana.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-31-2002, 04:03 AM   #525
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

People are gullible. As much as they've ever been.

Consider the story of a college history professor who one day ragaled his class with a huge conspiracy story. At the end of the class he told them to go check it out themselves, because there was all this proof. The next day, as the students entered his class hopig to here some more, he asked them tif they had checked out his story, and, finding that they had not, proceeded to tell them that it was a complete fabrication.

My point? People will stupidly believe anything that they're told. Especially if it's from someone who they believe to be reputable. Teachers. Scientists. Et cetera.
Doesn't this equally or not more so apply to people that take what it written in a book with an "unknown" author and just blindly follow it?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-31-2002, 09:02 PM   #526
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Wow, this is still going on. Like your new name, RE.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 03-31-2002, 09:22 PM   #527
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
To clarify my point above; You believe it just because you saw it on the news? How... gullible of you.

Originally posted by Rogue Elf
You believe in God just because you read it in a book? How... gullible of you
Wah!
Back at you!
That's funny.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:25 PM   #528
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille

Wah!
Back at you!
That's funny.
I KNOW, I'm still laughing all the way to the periodicals....
Old 03-31-2002, 09:34 PM   #529
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

RE: 1, Wayfarer: 0

*sits back to watch the show*

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 03-31-2002, 10:39 PM   #530
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Is it just me but whenever I read these forums that fall into evolutionary arguments, people are so busy reading the bible they don't bother to interpert it...
Old 03-31-2002, 10:41 PM   #531
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Wow! I have fans!

Now, where's my pimp necklace? I need to do my little hip-hop victory dance...
Old 03-31-2002, 11:49 PM   #532
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

wayfarer on a breakaway he splits the defense shoots and...

What save by RE

wayfarer was robbed on that one

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #533
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
Is it just me but whenever I read these forums that fall into evolutionary arguments, people are so busy reading the bible they don't bother to interpert it...
That's because we don't have your Jewish language skills. Reading originals is hard enough but reading translations is much worse.
Similarly, contrary to what you might think, current research in evolutionary biology is not written in plain English (if that's your primary mode of communication) but in a highly specialized esoteric code which for the sake of convenience call "science". And there are many different dialects of "science" where the same word might not mean the same thing. Only those who fully devote their lives to a particular branch of any particular study can become fully fluent in that particular dialect, leaving the rest of us to wonder whether they wrote what we think they wrote.

This helps to make things all the more muddy. It makes it almost not worth it.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:43 AM   #534
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Heh heh heh. Its not merely translation difficulty, as there are many ways to interpert biblical text. It's that people actually use the literal meaning when debating such things.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:46 AM   #535
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Well, that's just the trouble...using a book as evidence of anything. A good debater can make the words say anything he wants. Hence my mistrust of anyone using any alleged "holy text" as a primary source of argument.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:04 AM   #536
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
Heh heh heh. Its not merely translation difficulty, as there are many ways to interpert biblical text. It's that people actually use the literal meaning when debating such things.
Good point. Maybe they use only the literal meaning because it's the only thing they can agree on? It's easier to say: "That's what is written here" than "That's what is means".
Old 04-01-2002, 09:33 AM   #537
freddie
Enting

There has been a recent debate in the administration about religious debate threads. I recently read the moderator forum and it seems Darth Tater was really the only one left who thought these threads should stay open. I am closing this thread.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:30 PM   #538
Nibs
Head Hollara

You've always gotta be the martyr, don't ya, Tater? And a fake one is the best you could reach your vile tendrils around.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:37 PM   #539
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ai! Back online.... *breathes a shakey sigh of relief*

(Seems I missed the worst of the April Fools pranks... )
Old 04-01-2002, 11:11 PM   #540
jerseydevil

Hey - we still have an hour and 40 minutes here on the east coast left of April Fools. Several hours if you think about it until the date line changes.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread