Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #521
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Jas always went a bit pale after the fifth bottle collywobbles, but normally he would then get his second wind .... they called it the windy city when these two went drinking, patrons of The Swan reckoned they'd counted up to 9 winds last michelmas ...

Bumbledore too was just settling in nicely ...

"Meathor! Come now you are not keeping up!" he insisted noticing the Linhirian rather playfully sipping at his wine ....

"Come now ...surely you can do better?"
Old 11-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #522
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Mid day Monday
A sunny, quiet spot in the city

R*an wrapped her arms around her knees, closed her eyes, lifted her face up, and let the music wash over her. Her brother's songs made her feel like a bird flying playfully in the breezes, or like a leaf being carried merrily down a sparkling stream. As he sang, the slight heaviness that had somehow settled on her heart gradually lifted, and she felt like jumping up and running and reaching for the sky from the nearest treetop. Tyaron listened with pleasure, his eyes focused somewhere far away, a slight smile playing on his lips. Alagos sang for a while, watching R*an's expressive face (with a few glances Eärniel's way, but her face wasn't showing much), then came to a stop with a few last graceful notes.

"Does the Lady of Nîn in Eilph have any songs to share with us? I would love to hear some of your songs," he said, turning to Eärniel.

“Hm, I think I may have one to share, although I can see it will be pointless to try and surpass the one we just heard so I will not attempt it. Perhaps something merry, yes, that would be suitable.” Eärniel said with a smile.

Changing her position to be able to sing better, she began.

In Gondolin the Spring blooms burst,
But still the bright fountain sings first.
The watery silver bells chine within the pools
And Elf-children’s feet the fountain cools.

The song was quick and lively. Each one of the four stanzas was sung a little faster than the previous one. When Eärniel finished her eyes were shining with excitement of past memories, as were the eyes of the others.

R*an said with a mischevious grin, "From what I've heard from your friends, it wasn't only Elf-children's feet that were cooled by fountains - you were known for "accidentally" falling into fountains, too!" Eärniel smiled but said nothing.

After a few more minutes of recollections, Tyaron turned to R*an. "R*an, I think I'll take you up again on your offer with Hwesta, but perhaps more than you would want me to - may I have her for a few days, no more than 4 or 5? There's somewhere I'd like to go."

"But you just got here!" said R*an, perplexed. Not that she wanted his courtship, but really, it was a bit odd...

"I know, and if you don't want her gone that long, I'll find some other way..."

"No, no, really, that's fine," she interrupted him. "Please take her for as long as you need her. I was just wondering, because you just got here..." she trailed off.

But Tyaron didn't satisfy her curiosity. "Thank you very much, and I guess I'd better get going now, while the day is still fine." He rose and bowed to the ladies, and then turned to his friend. "Alagos, may I have a quick word with you, please?"

They went a few steps away. "Where are you going, brother?" asked Alagos. Although he didn't show it, Tyaron was very relieved to hear the familiar endearment again, after what had happened on the bridge between them.

"I'm going where R*an wants me to go, brother - away," he replied. "Or where she thinks she wants me to go," he added. "And there are a few other things I want to do, too."

Alagos raised an eyebrow and looked thoughtful. Tyaron said, "While I'm gone, would you please sing a few of the songs of mine that R*an especially likes? He put his hands on Alagos's shoulders, looked into his eyes, leaned in close and whispered, "And ... do a bad job of it, please!" With a rogue-ish twinkle in his eyes, he waved goodbye, and was gone.

Alagos looked at his sister's face, but he saw only perplexity there.

A little while later, as Tyaron rode off, he noticed a man with long, curly hair, with a handsome hound dog by his side. They were both watching him...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-22-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #523
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

“Hello constable. Is there a problem?” said Khamûl, coming into the kitchen.
“Well yes sir, there is. Your maid, Melwen. Well I’m afraid she’s dead sir,” said Barliman.
A brief smile passed over Khamûl’s face, before it turned to mock horror.
“Well do you know what drove her to do it? She always seemed so happy. Someone must have forced her to do it,” replied the Professor.
Suddenly Watson trotted up to Khamûl and started barking incessantly. Khamûl turned his piercing gaze to the dog, which suddenly wilted, before turning it’s tail and running out of the house no longer barking, but making a sound which resembled the sound of a yelp more than a bark or anything else a dog in Tharbad usually made.
“We don't know yet. I was rather hoping that someone here could help us with that. I'm just asking Zimra here a few questions. Hoping she may help,” replied the constable, after a strange look at where his trusty sidekick had been standing.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-22-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #524
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Wednesday, Late afternoon, in the wilderness far outside Tharbad.

A rider was out on his own in the wild countryside. The two wolves, Black Coat and Red Fury noticed him right away. They followed him, thinking him a easy prey.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-19-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #525
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Orrodel, Monday, around 11.30 AM.

When Khamul left her, going to the kitchen to talk to the cop, Lilly lost no time. She ran upstairs to fetch Penny, who was peacefully lying on his bed with a book on herb lore.

"Buz, get up quick! Let’s get out of this house, while Khamul is busy. He may have prepared some unpleasant parting gift. We better stay away till the evening."

Quick as a lightning, Lilly grabbed her small dagger and a big purse of gold coins. Taking a thick Khandian shawl to drape her figure against the autumn chill, Lilly dragged Buzukkumarz down.

"And what about breakfast?" asked Buz, "or a lunch? I haven’t eaten since last night’s cucumber sandwiches"

"Don’t be a baby, Penny" said Lilly importantly. "We shall eat in town".

The bustling market was immediately outside. The great open space of Augon Vin was full of varicoloured tents and stalls, most with fresh fruit and greens, some with mushrooms, which seemed to be a common fare of the North, some with toys, baubles, shoes and clothes. Lilly drifted further, dragging Penny behind, until she stood in front of the fish stalls. There were fishes of all kinds and shapes, great sea giants brought up the Gwathlo on barges and smaller river fishes still fresh from the river, their scales glistening merrily. Lilly looked about the bustling scene as if in a remote dream. There was this familiar smell, making her think of her youth in Umbar and the Age long past. Umbar, the best place in Middle Earth, how she loved its squares and palaces, markets and shops, docks and tall ships going West!

"I cannot bear it, Penny," she said. "It all speaks of the days long past…"
Penny snorted derisively "How can a sight of some rotten fish make you think of the past?"

Buzukkumarz was born in the plains of Rhovanion, he cared not about the Sea. Lilly sighed, and followed Penny into a nice tavern "The Sword of Elendil" at the eastern side of the square. They had a nice lunch of some rabbit stew, the speciality of the house, with fresh baked bread and Buz’s favourite rose Dorwinion wine. After the second bottle, Lilly put her glass firmly on the table and said.

"Enough wine, Penny. I want to have a nice walk and do some shopping".

"Shopping?" Penny paled. He hated shopping, specifically shopping in female company. It always tended to become an endless affair, and an exhausting one, both mentally and financially. "Er.., I am sorry, Lil. I have things to do…"
He racked his brain for an excuse, then suddenly remembered. "I, oh, I have this Bridge Building lesson at one! By the Captain himself. I can’t miss it."

Penny looked at the sun, now past its zenith. "I must go, Lil." He gave Lilly a small brotherly peck on the cheek and disappeared in the crowd. There was no Bridge-Building on Mondays, of course, there was Ship-Building, which Penny was not taking. But Lilly will never know the difference. Grinning, Buzukkumarz made his way to the docks and his favourite riverside taverns.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #526
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, half past three

The drinking match was in full progress with none of the three combatants willing to give up an inch of ground. Granted, Fernik’s face had gone pallid, and his hands shook as he lifted the goblet to his lips, and, true, Bumbledore’s face kept getting redder with the drinking of each goblet. Still, neither one showed signs of gracefully giving up the battle.

“If we keep up much longer,” Udu thought, “they will both be under the table while I am able at least to function. It is never wise to display a strength openly for no good purpose other than to prove who can hold the most wine.”

The barman had just brought the sixth bottle, a delightful Linhirian Red ‘34 that was renowned for its tangy verve, not too sweet but lively with a lingering flavor. Fernik had just poured another round, and then stood up and launched into a lively nonsensical tune about a dwarf lord who was jealous because his wife’s beard was considerably longer than his.

Many of the patrons, laughing at the words of the tune, turned around and looked at the three. Udu felt a sense of restless unease at the attention Fernik’s song was generating. “I must never forget who and what I am,” he thought resentfully, “and I am not as they!”

His nostrils barely twitched at the smell of spilled wine and ale, stale cooking odors, unwashed bodies, living blood - the very humanity about them all - and the vast chasm between mortals and Nazgul impressed itself upon him once again. “I cannot pretend that there is no difference and that we are the same.” He felt the sudden urge to leave the crowded tavern and flee somewhere far from the candles and lanterns, the well-lit places, the dwellings of men.

The clock was striking half-past three when Udu, his face showing no sign of expression, rose to his feet, his wine glass still half full. “You must excuse me,” he apologized, “but I must be on my way to see the venders of baubles and trinkets and bolts of cloth, for if I should return back to the East without presents for my beloved, there will be no hearing the end of it.” The patrons in the bar nodded, chuckled sympathetically at his words, and turned back to their own drinking.

Bumbledore and Fernik looked disappointed when Udu excused himself, “Gentlemen, I can never be your match when it comes to a drinking bout; I concede to the superior staying abilities of you both. Perhaps we shall meet again later this evening. Good day to you both.” Udu bent slightly at the waist, a short respectful bow, before pushing his chair back from the table. After paying the tavern keeper, he walked out the door of the tavern.

A draft horse, drawing a small wain, was slowly meandering northwest down the Street of the Hours, as its driver, a tinkerer, half-dozed on the seat of the cart. Approaching Udu, the animal looked up, snorted, and skittered sideways. The driver, startled by the sudden jerking movement of the wagon, woke up, still half-asleep, and tugged frantically at the reins.

Indignant, the animal’s eyes rolled in their sockets, but the driver only pulled harder on the reins. Udu walked northeast along the buildings, and as he drew parallel to the horse, the horse’s back arched as it attempted to buck in the traces. The driver jerked more viciously on the reins, but the horse, the bit now firmly locked in his teeth, snorted in fear, tossed his head, gave a great leap forward and plunged down the street. The driver, frantically pulling on the reins, was thrown backward on the seat as the horse surged ahead. Udu began walking briskly past the scene as he heard the cries behind him, “Runaway horse! Runaway horse!”

Udu crossed the bridge over Cherant Formen and somewhere behind him, he could hear the faint sound of screams of the crowd as the traffic parted before the bucking onslaught of the now driverless cart.

“Aye,” Udu mused to himself as he strode towards Menetar, “indeed, there is a great difference!”
Old 11-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #527
CrazySquirrel

On the Menetar, Monday afternoon 12.30-3.30 PM.

After Buzukkumarz left, Lilly drifted, examining wares at the market. Several men accosted her, trying to make friends, but Lilly gave them her special "cooling" look, honed by ages in the Dark Tower. Feeling an inexplicable urge to turn and run, the offenders left her alone pretty quickly. She stopped in front of the jewellery stall. There were simple baubles made for serving wenches or poor women. Lilly asked where some real jewellery could be found and was directed to the Street of the Hours, in Andudel, across Cherant Formen.

Asking for directions on her way. Lilly crossed the University grounds, entering by the East Gate and exiting by the South Gate. Then she walked up the Menetar, lined with shops on both sides, admiring the way each shop identified itself. There was a jug hanging from a hook for a wine-shop, a hank of rope with a small anchor, very likely to indicate a chandler, a hat with feathers for a hat-maker’s shop and, finally, two laughing women’s figures holding a scroll bearing the inscription "Valinor". The window was bursting with bright colours. Blue elven silks, gondorean velvet, arnorean wool. Close by, furs were hanging down, ermine and sable, fox and squirrel, rabbit and minx. Lilly stood oblivious to all else, excited, fascinated, happy as she had rarely been in her life. Soon she shook herself and entered the shop.

After purchasing three hats, a roll of green velvet and a roll of outrageously expensive Lorien silk, the colour of autumn leaves, Lilly arranged for all the goods to be delivered to Orrodel. She kept only the minx coat, though, on a nice September day, she felt uncomfortably hot on it. After that, she walked mechanically up the Menetar, past the shops windows, stopping in front of each fresh display. She bought an umbrella, six pairs of silk stockings, strewn with roses in Lebennin fashion, gloves in most delicate flower tones, several hair nets with feathers from Far Harad and, finally, a long scarf, worked in Rivendell lace and costing a heart-breaking amount.

All these purchases made Lilly pink with pleasure, her eyes shining like stars. Barad Dur was a fine place, and Lilly liked it there, especially liked her position of the highest-ranking female creature in the land, but Barad Dur was a bad shopping place. In fact it was no shopping place at all, all the goods were simply distributed, and all the excitement and the trill of the hunt were lost. The Master never understood why the three nazgul girls were so eager for missions to Khand and Umbar and why they asked for such exorbitant daily allowances. The concept of shopping was surely quite outside the Maia’s grasp. But finally, after 2-3 hundred years, he noticed, that being kept in the tower for too long, the girls tended to become moody, disobedient, unnecessary aggressive and generally less efficient. So he let them go to Harad, Khand or Umbar on a regular basis, at least once in a decade.

Now Lilly could shop as much as she liked. Sweet taste of freedom… On dancing feet, Lilly descended the Menetar and turned right, heading towards the Street of the Hours and the jewellery. Approaching Cherant Formen, Lilly heard a commotion , something about a run-away horse. At this moment, Lilly’s ring suddenly felt warm. One of the Nine was close… Udu! Here he was coming in her direction, moody and slightly tipsy.

Totally forgetting that she was not supposed to know him, Lilly rushed forward and caught Udu in her arms.

"Udu, I am glad to see you again, old boy. Why so sad? Look what a coat I have just bought! Don’t I look stunning in it?"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-20-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #528
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Udu was in a melancholic mood as he crossed Cherant Formen and headed towards Menetar. The words that he had thought earlier kept repeating themselves in his mind... “The vast chasm between mortals and Nazgul... and it can never be breached,” he thought moodily. His Ring began to alert him that one of his own kind was nearing. He wondered which one it might be, and then he saw Lilly rushing up to him.

“Lilly!” Udu thought apprehensively. A worried look crossed his face when she grabbed him in her arms. Then she burst out, "Udu, I am glad to see you again, old boy. Why so sad? Look what a coat I have just bought! Don’t I look stunning in it?"

“What am I supposed to do?” he thought. “We are standing in the middle of a public way!” Passersby were beginning to look at them. He considered saying in a louder voice than he normally used, “My lady, I do not believe we have ever met,” but he concluded that would be rather embarassing.

“Beautiful,” he said in Common Speech, “but a little warm for this time of year.” Then he whispered to her, “Are you out of your mind? No proper lady goes around hugging a man in public!”

His words did not seem to bother Lilly at all and she merely laughed. Not knowing what else to do, he simply stood there and began talking to her in thought-speech.

“Lilly, your actions have been most rash! We are not supposed to know each other, and you called me by my name in Black Speech! What if someone should hear that, though I doubt anyone here knows the tongue? I am having a difficult time thinking of any excuse to explain all this, should word get back to the university, or just as bad, to Orrodel.”

Lilly replied in thought speech, “Old boy, I don’t see why you are making such a big deal of it! Besides, , I doubt any people would care one way or another. Even if news did get back to Orrodel, it would not matter anyway. Khamul is leaving!”

“You don’t say!” Udu exclaimed, his mood brightening considerably. “How did you manage that?”

“Oh, I didn’t manage anything. It is the Captain’s work, I think. Khamul is going to be having his own apartment at the university, and I for one am glad to have him out of my hair!”

“That should be a great relief for you. He almost killed you! He always was too rash, and more than a little bloodthirsty.”

A finely dressed Tharbad lady flanked by two servants passed by them and turned her head, looking down her nose. “Hmph, some people!” she said haughtily, and pulled the hem of her skirt slightly away so it would not brush against Udu.

“Lilly, we really are making a scene now!” Udu protested. “We have stood here almost as long as Melian and Thingol!”

“Who cares?” Lilly said with a shrug of her shoulders.

“At least let’s not stand out here in the middle of the street,” he told her in the thought speech as he slid his arm through hers, and began strolling nonchalantly back towards the Street of the Hours.

“What are you doing here anyway?” he asked as he smiled benignly to a passing couple.

“Shopping!” she exclaimed happily. “I am looking for the jewelry maker.”

“Amazing,” Udu exclaimed, “so am I.”

“We might as well go together then.”

“I was thinking that very thing,” he said as he continued guiding her along the Street of Hours. “Perhaps we could have a little drink later.”

“There is a tavern right ahead,” Lilly exclaimed.

“No!” Udu said. “Old Bumbledore and Fernik are probably still in there drinking, and I do not think you want to meet them any more than I do!”
Old 11-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #529
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an watched Tyaron walk off, then suddenly exclaimed, "Oh! I almost forgot - I wanted to go to the jeweler's really quick! Professor Mahtaliel had such an interesting lecture, and I wanted to go see some of the local work. Could we drop by there first, Eärniel, before the other places?"

Eärniel, knowing that R*an's "really quick" would probably be a lot longer than she would like (especially if they had hair accessories), sought desperately for some valid excuse to turn that excursion down. Looking around for inspiration, R*an's brother (who was ruefully examining his glue) caught her eye, and she got an idea.

"No, you go ahead, R*an - I'm not that interested, and I'd just slow you down. Why don't I take your brother on a quick tour of the city, if he would like that? Then I can meet up with you in an hour and we can finish our other errands."

Alagos, who was enjoying the company of R*an's little friend (as he still thought of her, although he didn't quite realize it), and who enjoyed being with people from Gondolin (there were not many around anymore), answered, "That sounds nice, if it wouldn't be a bother to you. I've had enough fletching for now, anyway - I forgot to cover the glue while I was singing, and it's dried out. If we could just swing by Itazel and Danor's house first, I'll drop these things off, then I'm ready to go."

R*an was secretly relieved, as she knew she wouldn't need to hurry now. "Well, that sounds great, then! I'll meet you back here in an hour."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-20-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #530
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Mahtaliel had dismissed her jewelry making class with a sense of satisfied relief. It was a small class this year, just four people, that would make things easier come project time. It was an odd group mix of students though...

Three of the the four seemed genuinely interested in the subject, though it was obvious that Aiwendis was taking the class for some other reason. Time enough to find that reason out later on. They had seemed to respond well to the lecture she had given, which had mostly just outlined the topics the course would cover, expectations and safety rules, details. The real lessons would start next time.

Noon had come and gone and Mahtaliel still had nearly three hours before her next class. Currently she was walking down the Street of the Hours, on her way to the public school. Fionne had invited her to join them for the afternoon meal and she had accepted.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #531
CrazySquirrel

Street of the Hours, 3.30 PM on Monday

Udu slid his arm through Lilly’s as they strolled nonchalantly along the Street of the Hours. Lilly chatted animatedly on the way.

"Who are those Bumbledore and Fernik? Never heard of them… Ah, some professors... how dull. What a pity I haven’t been at the Reception yesterday. ‘Twas really churlish of the Chancellor not to think of inviting me! I am not some mortal fool of no consequence! One day he will be sorry for treating me like that!"

"Lilly, keep quiet, we can be overheard," Udu warned her in thought-speech, but Lilly paid it no heed.

"What a nice city, I really LIKE it here. The shops are so great! I am dying to see the jewellery shop! I am looking for amethyst earrings and a necklace to match my Ring, you know. I had them once, but they were lost in the last war and all that…"

Udu hissed a warning again, and Lilly was silent for a full minute. They approached the jewellery shop, called "Seven Stars". The street was really crowded now, mostly elegant ladies attended by servants, with occasional male noble looking for a present for his beloved.

Lilly turned to Udu and asked "Tell me, whom are you buying the jewellery for? Eh? Have you already got a sweetheart here in Tharbad?" Lilly pocked Udu in the ribs with her elbow. "That was fast, old boy!" Lilly’s laughter chimed as silver bells, attracting universal attention from the passers-by. "And what did you say was your name again?"

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-20-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #532
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Race

Place holder, no need to wait for me. Just plow ahead.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #533
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viv's thoughts during The Great Race

It didn't take long to reach the rendezvous point, and as she trotted up to greet Raendil and Martalion, Viv tried to tamp down the rising surge of excitement she felt just from laying eyes upon Ray.

'I'm through with telling myself it's not a good idea to feel this way,' she was thinking. 'I want this! I want to yield to this, this emotion, this happiness he gives me. What harm anyway could it possibly do? I'm in control. He's only human, after all.'

Viniglaen was young, young to the world of emotional intricacy. She had no idea how monumental the power of first love really could be, how destructive and beautiful, how irrational and perfect. There was much for her to learn.

As the three of them exchanged sweetly electric pre-race pleasantries, and then readied themselves and finally took off, Viv felt like she was flying, flying inside a whirlwind. And it wasn't Laslech's amazing sprinting that was giving her this unique sensation, it was something nameless and new inside and all around her, crackling like tiny lightning, charged, hot, and feeling of indestructable, powerful exhilaration.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-21-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #534
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Street of the Hours, 3.30 PM on Monday

Lilly would never need a trumpeter to announce her presence; her voice took care of that. “Lilly, not so loud,” Udu reminded her again in thought-speech. People were watching them.

“To answer your question,” he said quietly, “Bumbledore and Fernik are professors at the university, who seem to be good sorts, quite solid chaps.”

Across the street, a regally dressed lady with two small children in tow, had quickened her pace when one of her offspring piped up, “Mother, who is the lady with the loud voice!”

“I do not know!” the mother said, pulling the child behind her. “We do not associate with that sort!”

“Ohh,” the child said, his eyes big.

As they neared the jewelry store with the sign that named it “The Seven Stars,” Lilly’s voice became even shriller. "And what did you say was your name again?" she asked.

“Maethor,” Udu said, his eyes beginning to flash as a warning. Maybe Khamul’s ways of dealing with Lilly were not so bad after all. “Perhaps,” he thought as he looked to Lilly’s Ring and considered the dagger hidden beneath his tunic, “I owe him an apology.”

“I do not have a sweetheart in Tharbad,” he hissed in thought-speech. “The baubles I will be buying are for my wives back in the East. One word from you, Lilly, about them, and you will be very sorry!” He roughly pulled her into the Seven Stars before she could answer.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #535
CrazySquirrel

The Seven Stars, 4 PM on Monday

"Wives!" exclaimed Lilly, in thought speech, this time. "Look at this tark! I thought many wives were an Easterling custom! How many have you got? Are they beautiful? But what an idea to get involved with mortals! Soon they will grow OLD and ugly. Meh…"

Udu smiled at the elderly shop-keeper who hurried to meet the richly dressed couple. Bowing deeply, the jeweller showed them inside and exposed his best collection.

Lilly forgot everything. Purring like a cat, she went through pendants, earrings, coronets and rings, examining each item minutely. It was taking an Age.

Lilly cried so suddenly, that both Udu and the shopkeeper jumped. "Look at this, U-Maethor!" She was holding an amethyst pendant. Isn’t the stone exactly as in my Ring?

"May I have a look at your ring, My Lady?" asked the shop-keeper. The ring was right there, on Lilly’s finger, only invisible to mortals. Lilly considered putting her hand under the table and making it reappear, but Udu’s eyes virtually looked like burning coals… With a sigh, Lilly replied, "I don’t have it with me. It is a heirloom of our house, and my brother keeps it locked. I only wear it on big occasions."

Belegar, the owner of "The Seven Stars" was a clever man, and his trade made him a good judge of people. The mention of a brother, who kept the heirlooms locked, made his brows arch. "So she is unmarried" thought Belegar. "And this man is hardly her brother. A very forward young lady to go around with a man who is not her husband".

Aloud he said, "My lady, let me show you the matching earrings. They are made in Numenor, so the price is rather high, but I think they will make a splendid addition to your collection".

The price was really shocking. Lilly was not used to bargaining, so she simply turned her purse inside out on the counter. After the deal was done, she was left with two gold coins, but that didn’t bother her at all. She inserted the earrings in her ears and hung the pendant on her neck, where it shone enticingly between her generous breasts.

Turning to Udu, she exclaimed "And now, old boy, let’s look for your baubles! What exactly do you want?"
Old 11-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #536
Rían

Late Monday Night, far away from Tharbad

Tyaron rode late into the night. He had come to the small town that was his original goal several hours ago, but he didn't feel like stopping, and the mare was still willing to go on (he hadn't been riding her hard), so he passed by its lights and went further into the darkness, driven on by his mounting anger and frustration. Finally, as Hwesta was starting to show signs of fatigue, he came upon another small town. He cooled her down carefully and found a place to put her up (luckily the people were still up - they had a colicky infant), and walked over to the only place in town that was still open and would have something to drink, and maybe some food.

He sat down in a corner, and the barmaid soon came over to get his order. She left, and he idly looked around the room while not really seeing it - he didn't physically need sleep, but his mind was weary and unsettled, and he was resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world. His food and drink came and brought him out of the dreams, and he realized that he was staring at a girl with long, dark hair, who was talking with some of the men. He watched her while he ate and drank, thinking with frustration that he had ridden so far to get away, yet he couldn't get away ...

He signalled the barmaid for another drink. By this time, the dark-haired girl had noticed him watching her, and she intercepted the barmaid and took the drink from her, saying, "I'll take it over to him." Tyaron watched her coming over with his drink, and didn't object when she sat down next to him. A short time later, he paid his bill and the two of them left together. He was angry with the real-life R*an, who was much more complicated and out of his control than the image he had cherished in his mind for over three thousand years. He looked at the girl walking next to him. This, at least, was simple, and in his control.

An hour or so later, he walked her back to the bar and inclined his head politely in farewell (he couldn't help it - she WAS a woman, after all). As he turned and walked to the stables, she counted the money he had given her - twice the usual amount! Easy money, too. She decided she would try to be friendlier than she usually was with the next elf that came around.

Tyaron walked slowly into the stables, hardly seeing where he was going. Hwesta saw him and gave a soft whinny of recognition. He went into her stall and wrapped his arms fiercely around her neck, burying his head in her mane and deeply inhaling her clean, fresh smell. He stood there for a few moments, holding on to her tightly, then suddenly fell onto his knees, retching into the sweet-smelling straw, trying to get the bad taste out of his mouth. What had he done? What had he done! Three thousand years of being faithful to what he had built up in his mind, over the long years, as the real R*an, and one day with the real thing had shattered all his pleasant illusions. She didn't love him and she never had - she only kissed him because he sang her into submission. As soon as she came to herself, she was back to what she had always been - someone that did NOT want to marry him.

And now he wasn't so sure he wanted to marry HER anymore, anyway - seeing her in the safe confines of Gondolin, surrounded by elves, he had thought of her as an elf - or as a pereldar whose only human characteristics were cute little endearing ones, like tending to fall out of trees, or tiring sooner than the full-blooded elves (and it was fun helping her - it made him feel strong and needed, and he was fond of her). But now he was not so sure - maybe she was more human than he had realized, and maybe it was affecting him - one day with R*an outside of the safe confines of Gondolin, and look what he was doing now ...

He sat down in the straw and took a deep breath. He had always been a very strong and capable person, completely in control of himself, accomplishing whatever he set his mind to. He had thought that marrying R*an would just be like any other goal he had set his mind on, and that time, skill, and sheer determination would eventually win her heart. He drew out his dagger and looked at it, then, not knowing exactly why, he placed it softly on his bare skin. It drew a bead of blood, and he stared at it, until Hwesta, with the sensitivity and wisdom of horses, came over and placed her soft nose on his hand, nudging it away. With a shudder, he came out of his trance and sheathed the dagger.

He thought of the other elven ladies who had wanted to marry him (they had made that fairly obvious). He thought of how comfortable it would be with them - they clearly liked him, and they were of the same blood - they would understand each other. It would be ... comfortable, and they were certainly attractive ... and he was tired of waiting ...

He looked up at Hwesta, who snorted a fine spray of hay particles and moisture all over his face.

"You're right, Hwesta - I'm just a coward, and an arrogant one at that," he said, and sighed heavily, wiping off his face with his sleeve. But how could he go back now, after what had happened earlier that night?

Last edited by Rían : 11-21-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #537
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

The Seven Stars, 4:15 on Monday

"Wives!" exclaimed Lilly, in thought speech, this time.

“Yes, ten! Having more than one wife is a custom among some tribes in the East, but I never went to the East with the intentions of accumulating any. Their lord was foolish enough to challenge me. After I had slain him, I lay claim to all his property, and that included his wives. Though my origin is Numenor, I have adapted quite well to the customs of the East.

“Mortals, dear Lilly, can be most appealing at times. At least they can be taught to be quiet in their place,” he smiled hostility at her. “Yes, they do die, but at least they do not live so long as to become tiresome.” He scowled at her.

“Now,” he thought, “she is telling the jeweler about her Ring! Why does she insist upon drawing attention to herself wherever she goes! Possibly it would be best if she were ordered to remain inside Orrodel all the time... perhaps chained... and gagged!” Udu saw the expression on the jeweler’s face and sensed his disapproving attitude. “She will have no reputation in this town at this rate, and what if news of the spectacle she is causing should get back to the Captain! He will not be pleased!”

Lilly was dumping the contents of her purse on the jeweler’s counter like some peasant on her first trip to the market! Udu walked away from her, pretending he was looking at some jewel encrusted dagger hilts in a display case.

"And now, old boy, let’s look for your baubles! What exactly do you want?"

“Something moderately priced, but of good quality and in good settings.” He picked up a strand of gaudy colored beads, and another like it but in different colors. “Yes, this will do... and this.” He looked to the jeweler and pointed to a bracelet, “Do you have three like this except with different stones?”

The jeweler smiled because Udu had by now picked out at least ten different pieces of jewelry. The proprietor looked at him questioningly. Udu smiled and said, “I have a lot of cousins.”

He looked at Lilly, who seemed very proud of her new necklace and earrings. “Perhaps you have some suggestions? You do seem to have outstanding taste.” He thought, “Even if you do have a tongue that is constantly moving!"

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-21-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #538
Rían

R*an walked quickly to that very nice jewelry store that she had noticed earlier. She stood in front of it, peering at the window display, looking at the different styles and trying to decide if that very interesting piece could be worked into her hair ...

Old 11-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #539
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Miriel and Malaphel sat moodily through the long lunch. Their parents, Lord Azrabel and Lady Nimloth, were rambling on and on about proper behaviour for young ladies who wished to become Queens one day.

"Do you really think that walking round Tharbad, flirting with a Professor from the University will help you to become Queens? Because I think not," Lady Nimloth repeated over and over again.

Finally the girls solemnly promised to stop flirting with anybody but the King himself.
"And the Chancellor" added Lady Nimloth. "There are two of you, after all. The Chancellor is the second best choice".

Finally, the meal was over. After a little nap, the two girls went for an afternoon stroll, properly attended by servants this time. They went along Cherant Formen, then crossed the little bridge adorned by merry blue and red geraniums, and soon found themselves in the Street of the Hours, the favourite afternoon promenade for the gentry and well-to-do Tharbad merchants. The girls walked slowly, nodding or bowing to numerous acquaintances, stopping for a chat now and then, admiring shops windows.

The sight of "The Seven Stars" brought excitement to their faces. A dark-haired elf was standing near the shop window peering at the splendid display of novelties, hair nets and hair clips this time. Miriel and Malaphel were allowed only little money by their father, but old Belegar, the jeweller, was most considerate. He sold them baubles without any profit for himself, deeming that the friendship of the Governor’s daughters was priceless in itself. Perhaps one of them will become the Queen…

Nodding to each other conspiratorially, Miriel and Malaphel ordered the servants to wait for them outside and entered the shop.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #540
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Tolvadok followed Mahtaliel down the busy Street of the Hours, trying hard not to lose sight of her. He had thought to get her alone after her class, but he had had difficulty finding the Arts building, and when he got there, she had already set off. He had just got a glimpse of her walking out of the University complex.

She had been considerably ahead of him... it was around noon, and a market day, so the streets were busy with people and he almost lost her twice. He didn't wish to run after her... that would cause a scene... but he did want to get her alone for a few minutes.

"Hey, watch it, willya?"

Intent on his prey, he had bumped into a man who was twice his size, and was looking at him ferociously, rubbing his elbow where Tolvadok had hit him. By the time Tolvadok quieted him, and moved on, the Elf had disappeared. He moved forward in the swirling crowd, and tried to locate her, not wih his eyes now, but with his mind. But it was hopeless... too many minds in one place. He eventually decided to just walk on in the general direction she had gone.

He had just crossed a jeweller's shop, when he felt someone grab him from behind and pull him to his left into a dark alley. Before he could move a muscle to free himself, he felt the chill of a curved knife on his neck. His unknown aggressor bent his head down low, and then he heard a whisper in his left ear:

"Who are you, and why have you been following me?"

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here