FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #521
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
oh yes of course...

Just as it shows the Islamic world that all Europeans are inconsiderate blasphemous idolaters looking to start another crusade...

My how easy it is to paint with a broad brush from a warped perspective isnt it. From EITHER side...
Well, NO, IR!

"Funny, But You Do Look Danish" (http://merecomments.typepad.com/)
The "Beirut Diarist" in The New Republic reports on being mistaken for a Dane in Beirut by a Muslim mob; the on-line table of contents reads "Did I accidentally lead a mob to the Danish embassy in Beirut?"

I wonder how one is mistaken for a Dane? Being blonde helps, but beyond that, what, he smells of butter and coffee? (And I swear I thought of that last line before I scrolled back up to see the by-line of the Diarist: Andrew Lee Butters.)

I thought his final lines clever but sadly true:

"I return home to work on an assignment I owe Men's Journal, a one-page guide to Lebanon for adventure travelers. What the hell am I going to write? Great food, stylish women, and rampaging mobs of young Muslim men burning cars: Yes, Beirut is once again the Paris of the Middle East!"

But it's no laughing matter. If the rioting and violence exhibited over the Danish cartoon and, earlier, the many days of rioting in France, don't make it a tad more difficult for people to talk about the peaceful nature of Islam, I suppose we can expect an even greater link to be made by certain writers between the dangers posed by fundamentalists of this stripe and the very scary Christian fundamentalists in our own country. The latter are surely just waiting to explode and torch the nearest Wal-Mart and any convenience store that sells copies of the New York Times.

or this urbane response,

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.or...es/060207b.htm

Concluding paragraph:

“I used the word ‘civility’ earlier on and it is a good word to use in this place. Civic and civil life develops because cities develop, plural communities in which commercial, cultural and intellectual exchange creates mutual bonds and shared patterns of political life. Cities means citizens. Civility is the condition of patient co-operation between strangers. It is not the wholly-owned subsidiary of Western enlightenment – there is a huge literature on Muslim cities of the Indian sub-continent, or of our own Middle Ages – but a project we – all of us – need to work on together; Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, secularists. The bully and the victim, the vicious circle of violence, scorn and resentment and revenge are the opposite of civic life. The citizen, giving and receiving respect, is what the life of this city and any city takes as its ideal. We can honour that and work for it to be the ideal for all of our societies.”
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #522
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Judaism considers it blasphemous to make images of God, too, yet I don't see them torching the Vatican and Michangelo's works ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #523
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Judaism considers it blasphemous to make images of God, too, yet I don't see them torching the Vatican and Michangelo's works ...
And, It's kindof a no-no to burn a picture of Jesus for christians, unless the picture is irreverent.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 02-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #524
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Does anyone else remember when Sinead O'Connor went on Johnny Carson (or David Letterman?) and ripped up a portrait of the Pope? Remember how "shocked and appalled" some Catholics were? You can annoy, shock and appal just about any group in the world you can think of, if you just learn to push the right little buttons.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #525
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The interesting thing to compare is what the different "shocked and appalled" groups do after they're shocked and appalled ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #526
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Now THAT is a chilling thing to hear. So who decides what is "right" to be extreme about? Oh, the extremist themselves? Oh, so it could be right to them - and they could make it have to be right for everyone! And then, if you happen to agree with their brand of "right," then it's a good thing?? Scared of YOU, Lief. True colours, my friend.
I do think everyone should do what they think is right, and try their best to do it. Don't you? Or do you think people should only care somewhat about what they think is right? For example, should I think, "Those blasted Nazis !" Or should I think, "Those Nazis were a bit harsh."? I very much think that people should be passionate about what is right or wrong.

You're right, we can't necessarily "know" what to be extreme about. All we have is to act according to our beliefs. You and I believe that racism is horrible. Others think it is completely right. You and I have to do what we think is right on this. If that leads us to defend someone who is being mistreated because of race, so be it. We may be being "extreme". We aren't being passive. We are being extreme for what we believe is right, and I think everyone should do that. Islamic terrorists included. They are doing what they think is right, and that is good. However, as we believe that they are wrong, we also have to do what we believe is right. We have two choices: 1) defeat them 2) change their mindset. The latter is obviously better, but sometimes it is necessary to do the former.

I believe Adolf Hitler was an extremist for hate. Mother Teresa was an extremist for love. Martin Luther King Jr. was an extremist for love. Being an extremist for love and for doing what's right is good. Being extremist for hate is evil. Being an extremist for love, I think, is good. Don't you approve of Mother Teresa?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 02-09-2006, 02:16 AM   #527
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
In extremis, do you all think that this crisis, since involves almost all muslim countries, can spark off the Third World War, since for example, Pakistan has nuclear weapons?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #528
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
In extremis, do you all think that this crisis, since involves almost all muslim countries, can spark off the Third World War, since for example, Pakistan has nuclear weapons?
This crisis? IMO, definitely no. It will further polarize the East against the West, which is obviously bad and could lead to greater future tensions, but this by itself isn't big enough.

That would be so absurdly stupid if WW3 started over cartoons .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:55 AM   #529
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

To mention wars started for extremely stupid reasons, the First World War began because the opponents couldn't agree on the length and number of telegraph poles.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #530
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
The interesting thing to compare is what the different "shocked and appalled" groups do after they're shocked and appalled ...
And how the countries and cultures the different "shocked and appalled" groups belong to are placed for example economically.

There were, by the way, a lot of pictures of the Prophet (who is said to have forgiven a poet who made fun of him) in the good ol' days. When the muslim world was the leading.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #531
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
To mention wars started for extremely stupid reasons, the First World War began because the opponents couldn't agree on the length and number of telegraph poles.
The First World War started because of a duke's assassination in Austria.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #532
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Indeed! It's frightening how much history is being mis-taught these days.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #533
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
The First World War started because of a duke's assassination in Austria.

I read about the telegraph pole episode in an article. It was simmering and than exploded because of assassination.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-09-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #534
hectorberlioz

Quote:
I read about the telegraph pole episode in an article. It was simmering and than exploded because of assassination.
Right, and it was Duke Ferdinand of Austria, and a neighbor of his was Anton Bruckner. (familiar to you Fat Middle?)

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #535
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Does anyone else remember when Sinead O'Connor went on Johnny Carson (or David Letterman?) and ripped up a portrait of the Pope? Remember how "shocked and appalled" some Catholics were? You can annoy, shock and appal just about any group in the world you can think of, if you just learn to push the right little buttons.
Of course you're right: new "minorities" spring up everyday so they can be offended by something, anything somebody does.
(i.e."are you descriminating against people who stuff cotton up their noses and then get drunk on champaigne! ")

Those Catholics had every right to be "shocked and appalled", it was a very irreverent thing to do-and Sinead O'Connor knew that, and probably that is why she did it. Rock stars always do stuff for shocks.

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 02-09-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #536
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yeppo! But you didn't see Catholics running around the streets of the world, burning and rioting either.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #537
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
If Michael Angelo had been a muslim and had painted god in a demeaning way as an insidious monkey like terrorist I guarantee you would have seen heads roll and blood in the streets and that ceiling would have been down in no time. Absolutely no doubt of that. Heresy was an offense punishable by the most brutal of deaths at that point.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 02-09-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #538
Rían

but would that have happened if he had painted it in a Muslim country? My whole objection here is that Muslims are trying to control people's actions in OTHER countries (and non-Muslim countries, at that). Let them control things in their own countries- that's their choice.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #539
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So they should only have the right to complain about something that offends them if it happens in their country?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #540
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So they should only have the right to complain about something that offends them if it happens in their country?
It didn't happen in their country though! ( you guys are making me go in circles!)...well there are muslims all over.
In fact, the cartoons were drawn last year or even in 04!

The Da CINDY Code
~
Closed Thread