Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #521
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
Yes. Go rent this movie. Now. It's very good.
Will do!

I am going to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tonight for my son's birthday!

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

-------------------------------------------

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #522
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Ack. I hope the movie's better than it looks. A friend of mine wants to see it. I think it looks just as horrible as the Gene Wilder one... Save us all!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #523
Mercutio

The Philadelphia newspaper we get gave Charlie & CF four out of four stars---very rare for them. They had a glowing review of it.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #524
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Big Fish is kind of slow but it's very good.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #525
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

My Boss's Daughter....or something. Really stupid.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #526
emily leonard
Enting

madagascar

its alright but i was expecting it to be beter
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #527
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
The Philadelphia newspaper we get gave Charlie & CF four out of four stars---very rare for them. They had a glowing review of it.
I never trust newspaper reviews. Most of it is the reviewer's opinion, and it's rare that I agree with them. Sometimes I wonder if the movie reviewers in the newspapers I look at even watch the movies they write about.

Most recent movie I saw was... War of the Worlds ~ but I think I've already said that. My M*A*S*H DVD sets are a heck of a lot better than that film.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #528
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
My M*A*S*H DVD sets are a heck of a lot better than that film.
You must be quite old.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #529
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
You must be quite old.
Ha ha! (Still think I'm worth flirting with? ) Actually, I think I was born a little late... although I have to admit that I absolutely hate the clothing and decor styles from the mid-60s all the way up until the mid-90s. So maybe I was born at the right time. (Now Paul Simon is running through my head.) But, no, I'm not old--unless, of course, you are three and think it would be monumentous to reach my age.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #530
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I had an interesting cinematic experience last night - returned to the 1940s with a "classic cinema night" complete with electric organ, WW2 newsreel, a black-and-white film and the national anthem at the end. It was held in a beautiful Art Deco cinema near me and it felt like the work of one man's passion to recreate the original context of old films. The film (flick? ) was The Miniver Story, a charming post-war sequel to a much better wartime film, but that wasn't really the attraction of the evening...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #531
Mercutio

Daniel Deronda.

umm...I haven't read George Eliot's original so I don't really know if it's good as an adaptation.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #532
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I'm afraid it begs for comparison to the first adaptation of the book. Johnny Depp has a completely different take on Wonka than Gene Wilder. Despite the new one being by Tim Burton, I believe the first version is the darker of the two. The casting was good, with most choices evoking memories of the original actors. However, I think I liked the music in the '70s version more ("I've Got a Golden Ticket", "Oompa-loompa doobity-doo", etc.). It was an alright movie, but I'm afraid that it hasn't made me more of a Chocolate Factory fan.

Psalm 107:31
Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #533
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Million Dollar Baby.

That is IT!!! I'm totally going back to my M*A*S*H re-runs until Cinderella Man and Kingdom of Heaven come out. What a waste. Probably the two good parts in the whole movie were (1) the discussion between Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood on socks, and (2) Morgan Freeman's line about their being Irish people all over the world, "Or people who want to be." I find that line uproarously funny, mostly because I fall into the last catagory. Other than that, the movie was... not worth watching, really.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:47 AM   #534
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Touching the Void, a re-enacted documentary-style tale of two mountain climbers who embark on a journey to the peak of some mountain in Peru. Disaster strikes. Very slow paced, but that's to be expected. Quite good.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #535
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I was reminded today why people spend fortunes on their home theaters. I was reminded today why I prefer to throw in a DVD, switch off all the lights, and turn up the volume.

Going to the movies is just not the same anymore. It's not the "event" it used to be. It doesn't have the same anticipation, the same awe of the dynamic range of the sound system. It's not really that great anymore.

What bugs me most, however, are the inconsiderate idiots who feel the need to be vocal and distracting during a film. Take tonight as an example.

I decided to go and see The Jacket. The trailer had interested me in a Donnie Darko kind of way. A blur between time travel and delusion, with a sinister underlying plot....

Of course, it was only obvious that I was to be seated next to two attractive Scottish chicks. Their nonsense started during the pre-show commercials, with lovely (and laughably) opinionated commentary during every single commercial. Ordinarily, this wouldn't bother me. But sitting in a theater, you wonder whether the talkative nature these girls are expressing all too enthusiastically will be continued during the film. And that worry--that uncomfortable curiosity--leads to a hint of anxiety. That is not ideal.

"Oh, by the way, I can't really handle thrillers," the nearest one says to the other. "I might scream. Loud. I can't help it. It just comes."

Oh great.

Thankfully that didn't happen, and thankfully I didn't sit through the entire movie waiting for it to happen.

Ah yes, the movie. It was quite good. Not brilliant, in a Donnie Darko make-you-want-to-watch-it-immediately-afterwards kind of way, but pleasant. It is a feel-good film, despite its cold, tense, sinister tone. No crazy twists, unfortunately. Although what it lost in its lack of far-outness, it gained in plot solidity, I felt. Not that it wasn't at least a little bit adventurous, of course.

And perhaps I might have enjoyed it more had Loud Scottish Chick No.1 not decided to reply to her TXT messages during key scenes. Really. Some peopele have no idea how distracting a cell phone screen is, when contrasted with the lack of ambient light in a cinema. Idiot.

The acting was quite good. Brody does a good job expressing fear and angst and frustration. Knightley may come on a little too strong in her earlier scenes, but pulls it off in the end. I suppose, taking the plot and character development into consideration, the actors expressed and delivered what was required of them, quite well.

I might have had more specific criticisms or praises if it weren't for Obnoxious Scottish Girl No.1's constant need to swear at the antagonists, or even just the situation that protagonists were faced with.

At least I learnt that she has a fear of needles.

I probably won't be seeing this movie again at the cinema. But by the time it's released on DVD, I'll make a plan to check it out again.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #536
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Very nice movie, I thought. Some bad acting, a few plotholes, but lots of charm and very nice timing on the jokes (all of which were brilliant of course, Adams seldom made any mistakes in that department).
Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #537
katya
Elven Maiden

I just rented and watch Resident Evil Apocolypse. It was very cool. < in that way, not just "good". I'm easily amused with stuff like that though.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #538
Mercutio

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKLahoma where the wind comes rushing down the plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain...

Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #539
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

LotR:FotR:EE

Again.

Was good. Well, very good.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #540
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

AVP.

Alien VS. Predator, for those of you who are unaware of the abbreviation.

I can't get enough of this movie. Maybe it's just my affinity for action movies. Well, it's sci-fi and action, but you get the point.

I've been a fan of the Predators since my brother introduced me to them when I was a wee little child. They're just so intriguing and uber-coolness. It's great.
Closed Thread