Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:43 PM   #501
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
At the momene I'm reading the Silmarillion and Changing Emma at the same time.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #502
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

At the same time:
  • An Introduction to the New Testament. Raymond E. Brown.
  • A Marginal Jew - I. John P. Meier.
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • An Invitation to Theology. UNISA.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 AM   #503
Huan
Elven Warrior

Crickhollow, in that case may I ask whose translation of Beowulf? Please not Seamus Heaney's!

And Chaucer too, eh? That isn't remotely as foreign to a modern English reader as Beowulf, so no worries there. Unlike Beowulf, I'm a bit more relunctant to admit to my favorite line in Canterbury Tales; it's in the Miller's Tale. Okay, here goes:
And with his mouthe he kissed her naked erse.
I know it's tacky, but read it in context. What a yarn that Miller's Tale!
Old 01-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #504
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

What's wrong with Seamus Heaney's translation?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:14 AM   #505
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

A historical fantasy called Little Sister, made worth reading mainly because there are Tengu in it.
Actually, I finished veeery early this morning, but I'm reading it again. . .it's pretty short and I love the tengu character!
It's where the new quote in my signature is from: "I am a tengu. Impiety is my nature."

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:27 AM   #506
Huan
Elven Warrior

Earniel wrote: What's wrong with Seamus Heaney's translation?

Okay, Professor Tolkien I think would agree with me on this: most Beowulf/ Old English lovers will never see a "translation" of Beowulf that they like. Translation in quotes because the thing is written in English! The ad copy on the dust jacket always insists that any given translation holds true to the original feel and style of the Old English, but the translators invariably insist on throwing in Latinate or Greek-derived words when the original English, which is still in common usage, would do. Foe example, translators always insist that they must change the word "folc," that is, folk, to nation or people, or modern readers wouldn't get it. Nonsense! Folk means now all the things it meant then. If the original English works, even poetically with a modicum of thought given to it by the reader, use that.
Case in point, my favorite sequence in Beowulf:
com on wanre niht scrithan sceadugenga. Sceotend swaefon, tha thaet hornreced healdan scoldon, ealle buton anum.
Almost literal translation, attempting to preserve the English:
came in the wan night the slithering shadow-walker. The archers (literally "shooters") were sleeping, they that should hold the gabled house, all but one.
ealle buton anum=all but one. Word for word, unchanged from then to now. But Heaney says "all except one." EXCEPT. Latin where the original English would do. "Asleep at their posts," for "sweafon," merely "sleeping." Okay, call me picky, but I tell ya, Tolkien would have made the same objections. Translators always get too darn flowery with Beowulf and then insist that they're "preserving the spirit of the original."
Old 01-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #507
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I see, thanks for explaining.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #508
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The wing of the Dragon - Margaret Weaz and Tracy Hickman.
Diamara - Maggie Fiury
Old 01-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #509
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Today I finished Le Morte d'Arthur, which I started two months ago (I need more time to read! ). I think it's spolied me for every other King Arthur story though. I have to read German novels for school (currently tackling Kafka - help!) but when I get some time, I can finally start the CS Lewis books I got for Xmas. That'll be the day
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 01-11-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:23 PM   #510
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Crickhollow, in that case may I ask whose translation of Beowulf? Please not Seamus Heaney's!

And Chaucer too, eh? That isn't remotely as foreign to a modern English reader as Beowulf, so no worries there. Unlike Beowulf, I'm a bit more relunctant to admit to my favorite line in Canterbury Tales; it's in the Miller's Tale. Okay, here goes:
And with his mouthe he kissed her naked erse.
I know it's tacky, but read it in context. What a yarn that Miller's Tale!
err...translation. let's see...nope, not Heaney's. it's apparently a *new* translation (c. 2000) by R.M. Liuzza.
Nope, Chaucer's much easier than Beowulf, and I'm not worried about that one at all. Middle English version of course--no translations allowed I was always somewhat partial to the Pardoner's Tale...
Old 01-12-2003, 02:00 AM   #511
Huan
Elven Warrior

Pardoner's Tale: isn't that the one where the three thieves meet Death? And they kill each other under a tree? Re. Beowulf: Liuzza. Never heard of him. Shrug.
Sun-star: Malory has spoiled you for all Arthurian stories? Have you read Chretien de Troyes' Arthurian Romances? They are much more coherent. Malory wrote kind of off the top of his head while he was in prison, didn't even bother apparently to check what he had written thirty pages ago. But Chretien shows a real sense of design. The Knight of the Cart (Launcelot) is especially nice.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:47 AM   #512
crickhollow

Indeed, that is the Pardoner's Tale. I don't know why I like that one...I suppose merely because it's the one that I know best. by the end of the semester, after we've picked the Tales to death, I may change my mind.
Sun-star: What Huan said. Lancelot follows more closely the modern scheme for fiction (hero, adversary, climax, revelation...etc) I love Gawain, too . Wait, Gawain isn't DeTroyes. I like it anyway.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #513
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I am re-reading Return of the King and The Sil

Once I am done I am going to go pick of the HoMe series and Unfinished Tales....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 06:42 PM   #514
Huan
Elven Warrior

Crickhollow, actually Gawain is in that same Chretien story, The Knight of Cart. Lancelot (we don't know it's him yet, the author keeps us guessing) encounters a dwarf driving a cart. In those days, carts were used to carry criminals, so no innocent person would dream of getting in one; the dishonor would be too great. But Lancelot is riding after a knight who abducted Guinevere and he's lost his horse, so he hops in the cart to get going faster. Gawain comes riding along on the same quest, and the dwarf tells him that if he's as big a fool as this other knight he can also hitch a ride. "I've got a horse," Gawain says. It's a nifty story.
Gawain also appears in another Chretien tale. I can't remember which one, but in it he finds himself unarmed and beset by angry villagers a la Frankenstein, so he has to use a chess board as his shield. Hilarious.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:47 PM   #515
crickhollow

yeah, I remember that he was in there, I should have said 'Gawain and the Green Knight' instead of just Gawain. There's one tale, I think it's Chretien but I'm not sure, that's about this really naive guy who didn't know what a knight was, and then meets one in the forest and wants to become one...makes it to Arthur's court, Kay hits some serving girl who laughs when the youth makes fun of him. He ends up trying to hunt down this Red Knight who has been taunting Arthurs court, and he fights him and takes his armour...on and on...does it ring a bell? I can't remember the name. I got a big kick out of it because the youth was so stupid
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #516
Huan
Elven Warrior

The youth in question is Sir Percival. Yeah, that opening is priceless. The rest of the story is about his quest for the Grail.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #517
crickhollow

thank you! that's been bothering me for days.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:52 AM   #518
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Ahh, bliss. An entire period of school (about forty-five minutes) dedicated to reading!

Starting tomorrow I will be reading "The Agony and the Ecstacy". But, I have a dilemma! Should I read "Farenheit 451", "Dune", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "Brave New World" for my science-fiction novel? Help me decide! The minimum books required this semester (18 weeks) is six. Not a challenge, but help!

I could read "The Hobbit" for my British Literature requirement.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:01 AM   #519
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Starting tomorrow I will be reading "The Agony and the Ecstacy". But, I have a dilemma! Should I read "Farenheit 451", "Dune", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "Brave New World" for my science-fiction novel?
Dune! Dune! Dune! Dune!! Dune!!! Dune!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:26 AM   #520
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Starting tomorrow I will be reading "The Agony and the Ecstacy". But, I have a dilemma! Should I read "Farenheit 451", "Dune", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "Brave New World" for my science-fiction novel? Help me decide! The minimum books required this semester (18 weeks) is six. Not a challenge, but help!
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be my suggestion

42! 42!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Closed Thread