Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #501
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's funny!

(did they find the secret compartment in the eraser? )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #502
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

No, but I suppose I got lucky that Elvish wasn't part of our physics curriculum.

I still have that eraser, the story was too good to use it up afterwards.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #503
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
A graphic calculator? That's so cool. Never worked with something like that. At my school, in case a normal calculator was needed during exams, the teacher diligently passed every desk and deleted every calculator's memory.

Teachers were very vigilant then. One of them also made off with my eraser that had 'Eärniel' on it during a physics exam to check later with the physics teacher whether it was something out of the textbook. Unfortunately I failed to notice she had run off with it, so not only did I have to erase any pencil on my exam with a tiny, incompetent eraser on the end of my pencil but I also spent 15 minutes after the exams looking for that eraser (it was a good one too!) on the class room floor. Only to have it pushed in my hands again two weeks later in the hallway with the above explanation.
Really? We're only 2 years apart though. But then, they started that crazy 'education renewal'-scheme 1 year before I started high school over here in the Netherlands, so I was the proverbial guinea pig. I guess the thought was that rather than knowing the formulas, understanding them is more important.
By now many things I had to do have been removed from the curriculum because they basically were nonsense. That said, students are still allowed to use a GR (or GC in English).

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 12-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #504
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

E is for energy, a is for atomic mass, r is for gas constant, n is for principal quantum number, i is for inertia, e is for electron charge, l is for angular momentum- sure, it was just a name....

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 12-08-2010 at 08:26 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #505
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
E is for energy, a is for atomic mass, r is for gas constant, n is for principal quantum number, i is for inertia, e is for electron charge, l is for angular momentum- sure, it was just a name....
I had always thought the "a" was for 'amphibious' and at least one of the "e's" was for "Ent"!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #506
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Heheh, if you look at it that way, maybe that teacher was onto something...

If 'a' is atomic mass, and also amphibious, then perhaps 'ä' is amphibious atomic mass?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #507
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Failed my math class. Unless of course maybe I miscalculated the percentage I needed to pass the class.... which is entirely possible. Since I failed at math.

Went ahead and registered it for next semester. I know my grade will be way, WAY better next semester. Guess it was kind of a pipe dream to hope that understanding it at the last minute would get me to a passing grade. It will be there for next semester though, especially if I keep working it over the break.

Oh well. Next time. At least I have A's in my other classes...
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #508
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

*moothug*

I came awfully close to it with lab class one year . . . Got a D-. Only barely scraped by. I hope you do better next semester.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #509
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Spent the year eating like a horse and made it to 94kg before life.....happened. 87kg and dropping.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #510
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I work with a dude who muscle builds, and he eats 3x 3vege/meat meals. I do not want his no. 2s. O_o
Old 12-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #511
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Sorry to hear it Tessar. It wasn't entirely your fault though, since you weren't allowed to have neither a sheet of paper with math formulas & rules, nor one of these babies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I used the above in school, it's a Texas Instruments 83. Very handy! Once you've a graphic calculator, you won't want to go back to a normal one. Every student had a graphic calculator in the final years of school, you were required to.

Also we were given a sheet of paper with some basic rules and stuff for every test.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #512
Mari
Elf Lady

Sorry to hear that Tessar, but hey, maybe your math skills suck like you said and you calculated the minimum pass percentage wrong.
Wait, that sounds weird...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #513
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I don't like the notion of suicide bombings occurring in the very block were I used to live, where my mum still lives
Link

Anti-vent. No-one was killed, except the suspected bomber himself.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #514
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That is really scary Jonathan.

I took my dog for a walk in the park this afternoon... got there around 4:30 and was planning to walk for an hour.

.... then I got compleeeeetely lost and ended up stuck in the park till I called for help at 7, and my mom and to get one of the night police officers to help figure out where I was. I am so angry with myself... I thought I was taking a trail that would just loop back around, like the ones I've taken before, but it spit me out somewhere else... so I was thinking about doubling back, but there were two bucks fighting in the middle of the road so I went down another trail to avoid them.... and got lost. Spent about 30 minutes wandering through the woods with no light till I made it back to the paved road. Most of the road lights were burned out, but luckily there was half a moon so it wasn't pitch black.

I'm upset because I went to walk off the fact that I'm upset with myself about my math grade, and because like an idiot I COMPLETELY forgot about my violin lesson yesterday.... and now I'm even more upset because I got lost in the @)#$ing park like a moron. Although in my defense the trails are completely unmarked, so there was no way to figure out how to get back to the parking lot but guess which road and which direction to take.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #515
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

two bucks-like in deers ??

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #516
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh yeah, that park is crawling with deer. In fact there is at least one herd living near my house... there's a little simi-wilderness area (although not with any tall trees) about half a mile down the road where they live.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #517
Midge
Faithful Gardener

This has been my entire day. I don't really like days where comfortable routine is interrupted by something unpleasant. Something like Christmas break or my birthday is more than welcome to interrupt comfort, but not icky things where you have to improvise to do normal stuff like shower and brush your teeth and pour yourself a glass of water.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #518
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I just read "Skinny Bastard," and I think I might be about to become a vegan. O_o I was just gonna go to the recipe section, but a friend had told me the book was "really funny," so I thought I'd read a little.

It is a very funny book, but OH EEM GEE, YOU GUYS. O_o Sick. Feelin' a bit queasy thinking back on the milk I had with my cereal this evening when I got home... they go into some detail about milk and meat and stuff, and.... guh. Not so sure I can really stomach the thought any more.

We'll see what happens. I'll either get over it in a few days, or just not be able to eat that stuff any more... Particularly thinking about the slaughter methods and the other stuff that gets into the meat/dairy products. It also sounds like there is a lot of stuff in dairy and meat products that could be contributing to my (self-diagnosed ) somewhat weak immune system, and also why I seem to be a little resistant to anti-biotics.

I've noticed that since I stopped drinking sodas and started eating mostly salads and whatnot that my acne is gone... I've always had at least some on my back, although my face has been fairly clean for a year or two, but even the back acne is gone now. I also don't feel as bad if I have to squeak by on just a few hours of sleep, and I generally have more energy.

... although not right now. Gotta stop thinking about that milk.... grooooooooooooooooooooss.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #519
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

So the trouble isn't really with the milk and meat and stuff then, but with the way it is being handled when made into products for sale?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #520
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

A fair bit of the trouble comes from the products themselves. Supposedly neither product is very good for you in a number of ways, and either product severely increases your risk of cancer and various other diseases (including chronic diseases).

But yeah, the handling of is also a major problem. Majorly gross. Stuff like cow poo, urine, blood, and pus being in almost all milk (and thus dairy products), plus upwards of 80 steroids and antibiotics, and various other NASTY stuff. So it's partially the treatment, and partially just the product not actually being good for you.