Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #501
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I swear it's true! Why would I lie about something like this?

Mari: you are welcome to make copies, but there's a 10% tax on doing that

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #502
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

So, have you heard about the Apple's new iPad, their sleeker answer to the netbook?

Check out this MadTV sketch, from 2007.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #503
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
While I don't agree entirely, that was actually not where I was going with my remark. I meant that though you are right that a lot of people who are (Evangelical) Christians are the ones who want to adhere to no sex before marriage, you hear it more and more often that non-religious people also adhere to it.
Well, yes. I realize that, and I'm not saying I disagree. But my point was the other way around, like I said.

Quote:
Not another attempt at ruling the world through brainwashing, is it?
I'm just pretty sure that the thought of Hector ruling the world is sort of scary. Earniel, though, I could take, as long as it meant chocolate at every meal is a global LAW!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #504
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I'm just pretty sure that the thought of Hector ruling the world is sort of scary. Earniel, though, I could take, as long as it meant chocolate at every meal is a global LAW!
Yes, if you like diseases spread around the empire, she's your man. You have no idea how she threatened me behind closed doors. A whole different animal than the cute cuddly frog she poses as in public. Her chemistry lab is full of dead rats with strange growths, monkeys that look like Tessar, and birds with three wings.

The only thing citizens would suffer by under me would be a couple hundred posters of Berlioz hangin' around town. And maybe a few statues.

Which kind of dictator would you rather have?

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 01-27-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #505
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I vote chocolate, personally. And I can't imagine what you've threatened Earn with!

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #506
hectorberlioz

Well, don't say I didn't warn you!

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #507
Mari
Elf Lady

Midge... do you think she'd actually SHARE all the chocolate? I much think that she's hoard all the good chocolate and give the bad stuff away to those in high places. The rest of the world will have to do without for the rest of their lives... Plus: frogs and other such creatures will be found everywhere.

Now if Hector came to rule the world... yeah, that would be kinda scary. I'm sure he'd start out simple with a few posters, taking over some radio and tv stations... but then: North Korea >_< everything censored, everyone brainwashed...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #508
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
...but then: North Korea >_< everything censored, everyone brainwashed...
That's how it would go with everyone, eventually. No one could resist the power if tempted long enough. Not you, not me, not even Mother Theresa could have. ...Perhaps a child could.

Recently, I've been tired with the cruel world. I want the innocence of childhood back... a simple world, Winnie the Pooh, infinite imagination; greatest worry being those little bruises and cuts from playing outdoors...

But then, it's not coming back. But I can remember it and cherish what little is left. I guess if I weren't so naive, I would have lost it totally, and would be 100% bitter. (apprx. 80% right now.)

...Yeah, quite heavy text. *shrug*
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #509
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Midge... do you think she'd actually SHARE all the chocolate? I much think that she's hoard all the good chocolate and give the bad stuff away to those in high places. The rest of the world will have to do without for the rest of their lives... Plus: frogs and other such creatures will be found everywhere.

Now if Hector came to rule the world... yeah, that would be kinda scary. I'm sure he'd start out simple with a few posters, taking over some radio and tv stations... but then: North Korea >_< everything censored, everyone brainwashed...
So you must ask yourself: WHICH IS WORSE? Having no chocolate and frogs everywhere, or being censored and brainwashed and North Korea'ed?

Besides, if Earn hogged all the chocolate, she'd get tons and tons of acne and no one would respect her. She's smarter than that!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #510
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
That's how it would go with everyone, eventually. No one could resist the power if tempted long enough. Not you, not me, not even Mother Theresa could have. ...Perhaps a child could.
Or a Hobbit?

If a Hobbit could, that would be the final proof that we are not entirely the same species ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 01-28-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #511
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:

Besides, if Earn hogged all the chocolate, she'd get tons and tons of acne and no one would respect her. She's smarter than that!
Oh, good point!
Hmmm, Korea DOES have nice and orderly daily routine though. And I'm not too fond of chocolate as is. But yeah, not a very nice idea either. Maybe I should just make sure neither of those two ever get to rule the world...

Noble, like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
Innocence can be gained though. And I wouldn't see it all in such a negative and depressing light. After all, the sun still rises every morning and in Spring flowers will bloom again, no matter what we do. Humans tend to hugely overestimate their importance. I personally like the idea of being fairly insignificant in the larger scheme of things.
But looking back at humanity and our current day society, there are also things to be glad for. Things that make me proud to be human. Like all the help that is going the way of Haiti. We can feel compassion and act on it. True, not enough, not nearly enough, but it is there. Isn't that something to be proud of and to nurture? A feeling you want to inspire in others? Be the example, even if it hurts being the only one, because at some point people will look at you and see.

Last edited by Mari : 01-28-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #512
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Tom Bombadil would resist!

(And high-quality, dark Belgian chocolate would spare us all from acne, I'm sure )

Quote:
...Yeah, quite heavy text. *shrug*
Yes, a perfect example of what we usually call "finskt vemod" = Finnish melancholy
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #513
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
I swear it's true! Why would I lie about something like this?
Ah, but why tell the truth if a lie is far more entertaining, mister Hector Misquoting Berlioz?

Quote:
Her chemistry lab is full of dead rats with strange growths, monkeys that look like Tessar, and birds with three wings.
Hector, congratulations, you have found the local dumpsite.

If I had a secret lab, it would already have been donated to Amphibian Ark to house endangered frogs. Nem.

Quote:
Midge... do you think she'd actually SHARE all the chocolate? I much think that she's hoard all the good chocolate and give the bad stuff away to those in high places. The rest of the world will have to do without for the rest of their lives...
That's not very nice. What good would all my manyfold shares in Belgian chocolate be worth on a market of only one? Also, alas, my liver is not made of re-enforced titanium.

Quote:
Plus: frogs and other such creatures will be found everywhere.
Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?

Quote:
I don't know, sometimes I think children are the scariest of them all, because not all have a well-formed notion of morality.

Quote:
Maybe I should just make sure neither of those two ever get to rule the world...
I know something better, maybe check first if I want to rule the world. Just imagine, the moment you rule the world, people will expect you to fix it. Well, rule me out on that!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #514
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
That's not very nice. What good would all my manyfold shares in Belgian chocolate be worth on a market of only one? Also, alas, my liver is not made of re-enforced titanium.

I don't know, sometimes I think children are the scariest of them all, because not all have a well-formed notion of morality.

I know something better, maybe check first if I want to rule the world. Just imagine, the moment you rule the world, people will expect you to fix it. Well, rule me out on that!
Excellent points *nods like she knew that all along*
Though some people are arrogant enough to think they actually ARE the answer to all prayers. (I know, I'm arrogant, but not to that level )

Sooo, anyone want a cookie? It has raisins in it

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #515
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Very true. While some people may have (and, perhaps more, may have had) notions of children as pure and innocent, and only "corrupted" when they grow up, it really seems to be the case that "right and wrong" "good and bad" are absorbed from growing up around people who make these distinctions. Children, and especially young children, often have very ill-formed ideas of wrong, which is why they can often be so cruel, and take delight in the most gruesome stories. I mean, really, when you think about stories like Hansel and Gretel, they're horrific!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #516
Mari
Elf Lady

Those stories were written by adults for adults though. Only later were they adapted to be children's stories. Ever read the original version of Cinderella? o_O
By the by, psychologically seeing, children don't develop a conscience until they reach on average about 12 years of age.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #517
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
... Ever read the original version of Cinderella? o_O
Are you referring to the Middle Earth story of "Sindariel"?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #518
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Yeah, but think of what I'm going to be "brainwashing" you with! It could be worse. I could be brainwasihing people to think they are bananas, or only to eat chocolate(!). But would I? No. All I want is for everyone to acknowledge my favorite composer for goodness sakes. Most harmless dictator ever.

Quote:
That's how it would go with everyone, eventually. No one could resist the power if tempted long enough. Not you, not me, not even Mother Theresa could have.
Hm. The question is: is the draw to power THAT strong, or are we so accepting of its strength that we don't resist as much as we could? Mother Teresa may have had it in her to seize power if it was presented...but the kind of life she chose and led suggests that she had already strongly rejected it as a path.

People are as good as they always could be, and as bad.

Quote:
In that case, let her have the power:d. By all means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Or a Hobbit?

If a Hobbit could, that would be the final proof that we are not entirely the same species ...
Yes, but what about Gollum? Frodo? Or even Lobelia and Lotho? Tolkien doesn't make hobbits pure in their nature, either.

Quote:
Oh, good point!
Hmmm, Korea DOES have nice and orderly daily routine though. And I'm not too fond of chocolate as is. But yeah, not a very nice idea either. Maybe I should just make sure neither of those two ever get to rule the world...
Why would I want to make anybody do the same thing over and over again? I'm just not that interested in controlling people's minds. I'm in the category of harmless dictator. All I want is your attention once in a while, otherwise leave me to my har--erm, daily to-do checklist .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Tom Bombadil would resist!
That's because he's pretty much God

Quote:
Hector, congratulations, you have found the local dumpsite.
Your room is the public dumpsite?!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I mean, look at Tes---er...some children in the world, who do evil stuff. Has anyone ever seen The Good Son with McCauley Culkin?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #519
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Excellent points *nods like she knew that all along*
Why thank you, but then you of course knew all this all along.

Quote:
Though some people are arrogant enough to think they actually ARE the answer to all prayers. (I know, I'm arrogant, but not to that level )
Yeah, but even those people most often want to be in control to shape the world in what they think it should be, not what is either wanted or better for everyone else involved. Anyone who think he can 'fix' the world all in his onesies is sadly deluded. But the idea, like the One Ring, is tempting. Just think of the things you could set right if you had the power... And it all pretty much goes pear-shaped afterwards, though.

No one can fix the world alone, but then again, no one can ruin it on their own, and that can be both a comforting or depressing thought, depending how you look at things.

Aaand we've reached the point where I really think I should go to sleep. Eärniel and philosophy don't mix well. G'night all.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #520
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
All I want is your attention once in a while, otherwise leave me to my har--erm, daily to-do checklist .
You have a WHAT???

*dumps a bucket of cold water over Hector in his purple shorts*

Closed Thread