Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #501
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Orrodel, Monday. Early morning - 10.20 AM

After the morning quarrel with a bunch of revolting pointy-eared Elves, Lilly returned to her room shaking from anger. Why hadn’t Khamul killed the buggers? Hearing the Elves’s insults, she fully anticipated to see their stinking blood spilled on the cobblestones of Augon Vin. She even moved aside, to give Khamul more room for his favourite left side swing. But the Easterling’s blade never left its sheath.

Disappointed, Lilly took off her green gauze peignoir, deciding to take a nap again. She giggled, remembering that outside, several passersby stopped to stare at her hardly concealed bosom, before Khamul’s burning gaze sent them moving. What an idea to make her go outside like that!

Lilly hardly had time to stretch on her stomach (her other side still hurt royally) when Khamul appeared, without knocking, as was his habit. Not that Lilly really minded men coming in unannounced, but Khamul was surely not looking for any favours. Lilly hardly had time to scowl, when he barked " Get up and clean the mess in this room. Do it yourself. Burn the remnants of the table while there is no one looking."

Lilly was outraged. "Why me?!!! Why, when it comes to cleaning, it is always me? The mess is not my doing! You did it and Udu! Clean it yourself!"

"Why? You will do it because I have asked you nicely. And I do not wish to have to ask you again."

Lilly was subdued. Over the years, she learned to appreciate being asked nicely by her superiors.

Muttering darkly, she went to ask Penny for help. Together they collected wax, ink and wine spluttered bed-sheets,and sprawled them on the floor. The pitiful remnants of the little table and of the chair were soon packed in a neat bundle. Penny tuckled Lilly’s ruined pink gown in as well.
Lilly descended the stairs first, to see if the way was clear; Buzukkumarz followed on silent feet. Hopefully the hall and the kitchen were empty. Staying well away from the stove and its low-burning fire, Penny sent the large bundle flying. Flames roared, consuming the evidence of the last night’s fight. The two nazgul moved even further from the fire.

When all had been consumed, they returned upstairs to collect the empty bottles and glasses. Penny carried all that down, while Lilly straightened the bed. Satisfied with the result of her labours, she decided to dress and take a morning walk, before going to the University. She called for Zimra, but the maid was nowhere to be seen. Cursing, Lilly asked Penny to help her again. Soon, washed and dressed, Lilly and Penny strolled to the University, where they received their time-tables. Checking the lists, they found out that neither of them had classes on Monday.

Cheerful, they returned to Augon Vin that was now buzzing with activity. The market stalls occupied the East side of the square, customers milling around. Lilly and Penny started to walk across the square, when a dog suddenly barked at them.

"Quiet, Watson! ..heel, boy!" called a big, portly, middle-aged man in a funny deer-stalker hat. The hound obeyed, a low growl in his throat.

"I don’t like this one", Penny sent a thought to Lilly. "He looks like a copper."

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 11-23-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #502
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

at the Singing Swan, lunchtime-ish

“Good to see both of you today. Splendid day, is it not?”

Professor Bumbledore had recognised the standing professor from the reception the previous night - ahh! he felt he was going to like this new fellow - already found the Swan had he?

exchanging smiling looks Bumbledore and Jas Fernik both approached the new professor at his table ...

"A splendid day to not be teaching!" replied Bumbledore and Jas almost in unison ...

"you first!" chuckled jas pointing Bumble into the nearest and easiest seat.

Bumbledore collapsed heavily into the chair with one of his "grrrummphs!' - an articulate man (in the main) he was known for these wheezy noises and sighs - they seemed to go very well with the creaks ....

readjusting his tattered dressing gown with diginity and stretching out his bear-skin slippers under the table, he cast his peircing blue eye over at the man opposite him ...

"A pleasure to meet you ... professor Bumbledore at your service!"
pointing to jas as he sat down he continued ...

"Professor jas Fernik! ... My colleague and the eminent teacher here of the finer arts of wine appreciation - a noble position!"

"We noticed with appreciation that you liked the odd goblet yourself ...professor ....???"

bumble was uncertain if he had been told the new professor's name - either way he was at a loss .... probably jas wouldn't remember either .. shame Des hadn't accepted his offer to come to lunch - but he had been busy he'd said, needed to talk to some of the students signed up for commerce ... what for, Bumble couldn't think ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-15-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #503
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, around 2 PM

"We noticed with appreciation that you liked the odd goblet yourself ...professor ....???"

“Maethor,” Udu replied as he nodded to them both and then sat down. “We were sitting at the same table at the reception last night. Professor Bumbledore, Professor Fernik, good to see you both again.”

“Quite eccentric,” Udu thought as he looked to Bumbledore in his tattered dressing gown.

“Indeed, I am fond of wine. In the East it is said that wine is the drink that frees the soul. I vow that it is the secret to health and long life! Professor Fernik,” Udu said, “I see you will be teaching an admirable science, the art of tasting wine. I am sure the students will benefit richly from your instruction in the coming year.” He paused and took a drink from his goblet.

The serving maid walked to the table. “Good afternoon, gentlemen. May I take your order?”

“Eat heartily, Professor Bumbledore and Fernik. The meal and drinks are on me.”
Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #504
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Monday morning, just past dawn - 7ish

After finishing Laslech's pre-race morning grooming, Viv mounted the black mare and together they walked around the side of Orrodel House, heading to the meeting spot in the park that Ray had said to meet them at. The sound of Khamul speaking with elves brought her to a pause, however, and she hung back worriedly yet fiercely on guard, in the cover of the greenery and shade of the house, in order to observe and to ready herself in case Khamul needed backup. She witnessed the interesting confrontation; then, when all was obviously under control and the elves had taken their leave, she slipped away, off her property, finally heading for the race.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #505
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Monday Morning, about 9 am.

Scars, Trick and Treat were traipsing through the Reception hall in search of
something of value. They hadn't found anything so far and were beginning to get a little depressed, when Treat spotted a golden ring lying beneath a chair carelessly left behind.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-17-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #506
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

In front of Itazel and Danor's house
Monday morning

As they waited for someone to open the door, the thought flashed through Alagos's mind that Eärniel didn't seem to mind the Pereldar ...

Marriage, save for rare ill chances or strange fates, was the natural course of life for all the Eldar, and he had danced merrily through the night at many a wedding among his family and numerous friends, wondering idly when it would be his turn. As the years went by, the thoughts at the numerous weddings turned slowly but surely from idle to anticipatory; for in his parents, he had an up-close view of a wonderful marriage and it made him look forward to his own. Twice in his lifetime, after the Fall of Gondolin, he had thought he had found love, and thought it was starting to be returned; but as soon as the topic of family came up and the ladies in question found out about his parentage (for it was not obvious in his features or actions), it had cooled on the side of the lady and eventually died off. Thinking back on these things, Alagos rubbed his jawbone thoughtfully - perhaps they had thought he would suddenly sprout a beard or something - whatever vague fear they had, it was enough to stop the relationship cold.

Tyaron looked at his friend rubbing his jaw thoughtfully, and wondered what he was thinking.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-16-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #507
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Orrodel, 10.30 AM Monday

Zimra finished packing a medium-sized bag with Professor Galadannun’s clothes and a few books. He had surprisingly few personal possessions for a nobleman. And his rooms were tidy, not like his siblings. Zimra looked around. Wonderful rooms, what a stupid idea to go live in some apartment in the University! She has overheard Professor’s talk with Lady Lilly, "You will be glad to hear I am leaving," he said. Lord Galadannun seemed bitter, probably his sister was not paying her elder brother due respect. How sad.

Zimra put the bag near the door and started towards the stairs. "I will ask Lady Lilly permission to visit my parents", thought she. Perhaps Melwen is there, or at my uncle’s.

At this moment she heard a polite knock on the front door. Zimra noticed that the voices of Lady Lilly and Professor Galadannun coming from the living room, suddenly stopped.

"Could it be Melwen? Hardly. She will not come to the front door, she knows her place" thought Zimra, rushing down.

She opened the door to a large, portly man. On his sleeve was a single silver star on the red field, a badge of the Tharbad watch. And on his heels there was a big dog.

"Mornin’ Zimra" said the man.

"Oh, good morning, Constable Barliman, Sir!"

Now Zimra recognised him also. The man was looking down at her, without his usual wide grin, hesitation in his eyes.

Zimra’s throat was suddenly dry. "Melwen?" she breathed.

The constable nodded. "She is dead, lass. Fall from the Bridge she did, pour soul. T’was early this morn."

Zimra closed her eyes, raised her hands to her mouth and wailed. The constable was patting her shoulder, muttering something, but Zimra heeded his words not. The house was dead quite, listening.

Suddenly Zimra raised her tear-spluttered face, and pointed an accusatory finger in the direction of the courtyard.

Shaking from anger, she cried,

"It is him, the stable-boy! I have known it from the start! T’was him as was with Zimra last night, t’was him as made her drink, and lied about it! He murdered her as sure as if he pushed her down hisself!".

Last edited by Gordis : 11-16-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #508
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

12:30 Governors Mansion. Monday

“Sir,” called the doorman. “Sir. Your daughters are arriving.”
“Thank you,” replied Azrabel. “Send them in when they arrive.”
“There’s someone with them sir. A man, older than the girls by the looks of it. Shall I send him in as well?” said the doorman.
“A man?” said Azrabel, leaving his study. “I’ve seen him before. From the reception last night. What on Middle-earth are they doing with a Professor?”
“Do you still want to send them in sir?” asked the doorman.
“No, it’s ok thank you. What I have to ask them can wait,” said Azrabel returning to his study.
What were his girls doing with a Professor from the University? Both of them wanted to marry the King as much as he wanted one of them to. Did they really think that walking around Tharbad with another man was going to help them in any way at all? Sometimes he didn’t know what went on in either of his daughter’s mind. Sometimes he really didn’t. But he would find out. The Professor wouldn’t be there for long. He would surely have lessons to prepare for.
One hour later Azrabel sat bored in his study. He knew his girls could talk for a long time, but this Professor was making them sound quiet. Tales of Eastern Wars, and speeches about his many wives.
“Now I must be going.”
These words bought joy to Azrabel. Finally. Then the door closed, and the door for Azrabel’s study opened almost simultaneously.
“Who was that then girls,” said Azrabel, walking out of the study door.
“Professor Maethor. He is nice Daddy. You should have met him,” beamed Malaphel.
“I’m sure he was, but more to the point what were you doing with him,” replied Azrabel.
“Showing him round Tharbad. He’s new here you see, we thought he might like a guided tour,” said Miriel.
“Of course you did. But I thought that you wanted to marry the King, Miriel. And you Malaphel. Do you really think that walking round Tharbad, flirting with a Professor from the University will help that cause? Because I think not. I am not asking you to ignore Professor Maethor, just be a little more sensible next time,” replied Azrabel.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #509
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Itazel and Danor's house
Monday morning

Danor opened the door to find two Elves on his doorstep. This surprised him for a moment. He had been expecting Eärniel's friends to arrive somewhere in the late morning, but he had not considered the possibility that they might turn out to be Elves. Yet, Danor thought, come to think of it, it did make sense since Eärniel had said "old friends" and most humans didn't live long enough to become an Elf's old friend.

Danor briefly wondered how "old friends" these two exactly were. He realised Eärniel was probably a great deal older than he expected too. But still, one never asks a lady for her age, whether she still looks in her twenties after a few millennia or not.

"Come in", he said, "you two must be Eärniel's friends. Come in. And welcome in my home. My name's Danor."

The two Elves introduced themselves courteously and followed Danor inside. Danor led them to the old common room.

"This used to be an old inn," Danor explained, "So it doesn't quite look like a normal house, I'm afraid. But aside from Eärniel there are no other guests in the house, so you'll find it quite peaceful. For the rest there is just me and my dearest wife Itazel, who - I might warn you - is supreme Reigning Queen in all matters regarding this househo-"

"Danor!" Itazel's voice interrupted, coming from above. "Stop harassing Eärniel's guests with that babbling. They'll be wanting to see their rooms, I'm sure."

"Of course, dear. We're coming up right away!" Danor called back. He turned towards the Elves and winked. "She also still has superb hearing. But follow me, I'll show you your rooms."

Last edited by Earniel : 11-16-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #510
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, half past two

The service in the Singing Swan Inn was admirably quick, and soon the serving maids had arrived with their orders. Udu, a very light eater, already had his bottle of wine and he ordered no food for himself. Since he was going light on the wine, Udu had consumed barely half a bottle by the time the meal was served.

He noticed that Professor Bumbledore and Jas Fernik had each ordered copious meals. He watched the sheer delight in their eyes as the serving maid sat the plates in front of them. Bumbledore had ordered a whole cold chicken along with the accompanying vegetables, breads, condiments, herbs and spices and a large goblet of wine.

Professor Fernik had contented himself with a section of cold eel stuffed with vegetables. “A light luncheon,” Professor Fernik had beamed, “nothing heavy until the evening meal.”

The University’s professor of wine tasting informed them, “You must always be careful to select the appropriate wine to go with each meal. I prefer the lighter wines when eating fish.” He closed his eyes and moved the goblet slowly back and forth under his nose before drinking, “Light Nurn, vintage 35 Third Age. Outstanding!”

Bumbledore smiled as he tore into the bird with both hands, “I am eating light this afternoon.”

Maethor was impressed with the rapidity with which both of them devoured their meals. When the serving maid came back and asked if any cared for dessert, Professor Bumbledore said, “Certainly. Bring us an assortment of your most delicious varieties of sweetmeats.”

Professor Fernik was quick to echo, “Yes, that will do fine. Then we can concentrate on some serious after lunch savoring this establishment’s finest selection of wines.”

"Professor Fernik and Professor Bumbledore, I think that is a superb idea. However, I must be away before the shopkeepers close for the day," said Udu. "I have to buy some gifts for my wives... I mean wife."

Impressed with the capacity of eating, Udu wondered if he had some competition at last in a drinking match. This time his cold smile almost reached his eyes.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #511
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"shopping eh?" ... "well if it must be done, it's best done fast and drunk..."

" i normally have a small snooze around 4-ish ... perhaps you could do your shopping then eh? and hurry back for an early evening appetizer?"

Looking over surreptisiously at jas he mentioned casually "Ahem! ... There's a, ... er ..cultural performance that might be worth watching later tonight - would you care to join us?"

Bumble had finished his "light lunch" and was now pondering over the wine parchment - so far they had narrowed down the list to a mere 3 or four bottles ...

jas was making tiny notations on the parchment ... looking up at professor Bumbledore he cut back a laugh, then looking over to professor maethor he courteously passed the parchment over ...

"interested to see what you'd add maethor, to the first batch ..."

"On us of course! since we have you to thank for the lunch!"

"To professor maethor!" said bumble raising his glass in salute ...(it wouldn't be the last time either!)

They drank their goblets appreciatively, and while Jas fernik filled them back up old bumble, digging around haphazardly in his deep dressing gown pockets began humming to himself and pulling out an assortment of oddities .... the oddest being what looked remarkably like a few strands of a donkey's mane ...

at last he found his pipe and after taking a long pull he rather loudly belched...

"fiddleysticks!" he announced, an embarrased smile playing on his lips

"it's the vegtables y'know"

he winked at meathor.

"So, where are you from professor? ... "
Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #512
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, half past two

"it's the vegtables y'know"

“Vegetables will do it every time!” chuckled Udu as Professor Bumbledore belched again.

Looking down at the parchment, Udu smiled and remarked, “Nurn Red, ‘34. Smooth, pleasant to the tongue, but in retrospect, has the refreshing quality of...” - he almost slipped and said, “Orcish rotgut” - “...refined fire. Surely not a beverage that would appeal to the fairer sex, unless, of course, they were of that tawdry sort that lingers around the docks.” Udu winked at Bumbledore and Jas as he handed the parchment back to Bumbledore.

“Indeed, Professor Bumbledore, it is always best to approach shopping while drunk but still able to walk... merchants become quite agitated when one falls and breaks something. They are quite unreasonable and insist upon receiving full payment, even though the breakage was an accident.”

Udu finished the contents of his wine goblet, the last of the bottle he had ordered when he first arrived, and nodded appreciatively as Jas poured him another.

“I should have my shopping finished by 4. An appetizer would be commendable after that, and then the cultural event... I have heard that there were memorable performances.... It should prove quite.... quite... educational,” Udu said pleasantly.

“Where am I from?” he looked to Bumbledore. “Originally from Linhir where the Rivers Gilrain and Serni meet, but I have not returned there for many years.”
Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #513
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

It is extraordinary the effect wine can have on people. Sitting in the warm and cosy Swinging Swan with an old and a new friend, and having eaten well, and now drinking well, Jas, the mild, shy, soft-spoken Jas began a monologue on himself without realizing it...

"So how did you enter the teaching profession, then, Maethor?" And before a reply could be given, he was answering the question himself, "I, myself, was forced to earn a living at an early age, and knowing of nothing much except wines, found myself teaching. I had a dream, you know, of having my own vineyard... but circumstances..."

Bumbledore, who knew well enough his friend's tendency to get slightly tragic after the fifth bottle, and who also knew the only cure was to get him a bit more drunk, now began energetically pouring out another goblet for him... and making sure he was preoccupied changed the topic to stop Jas from starting again.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #514
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Whats the soil like down there in Linhir? ... good wine growing area is it? any varietals specialised down that way?"

asked Bumble quickly, pouring Jas another drink ... and leaning over he toppped up maethor's goblet ...

It had been Jas's dream to make his own wines on his own Vineyard... and Sir Bumbledore was, as it happened, looking for a good investment opportunity ... preferebly somewhere hot, by the sea, and where the wine would flow ...

with Jas's skill and his money .... mmm ... he and Jas had only vaguely talked about it so far, but as the chill Autumn turned to Winter ever his thoughts went to a wintring in a warmer clime ...

Noticing the fifth bottle was perilously low Bumble blew a shorty chirpy whistle "phee-eww-phwor up" (this suprised meathor somewhat) till he saw the barman come over with a chilled white in a bucket, and the wine parchment again ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-17-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #515
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Noon-ish, Monday, near the University

Alagos was sitting in a nice sunny spot in town near the University, happily singing to himself and fletching his arrows, when Eärniel and R*an walked by. R*an stopped for a moment and smiled, pointing him out to Eärniel - he was in a world of his own right now and would never even notice her, even if she walked right by him. He finished wrapping and tied off the thread, then held it critically up against the sky, where apparently it passed muster, because he laid it carefully down with some others that he had finished previously. He stretched his fingers out and looked around, then saw his sister and her friend.

"R*an! Eärniel!" he called out to them, beckoning them over. "How was the first day of classes?" he asked as they came up to him and sat down.

"Oh, very interesting," replied his sister. "I think I'm going to really like Jewelry Making!"

"And I think my classes will be interesting as well," said Eärniel. "I'm rather glad that I decided to come, although I already miss my home."

Alagos reached out for another shaft and applied a bit of glue near the nock end. "I'd love to come for a visit sometime - I like seeing new places," he said as he carefully applied one of the feathers he had trimmed down. "If that is acceptable to the Lady of Nîn in Eilph, of course. I hear the elves there are fond of archery, as am I, and that those that come without her permission soon regret it!"

Eärniel laughed. "Yes, we do like our privacy, and we make unwelcome visitors feel our displeasure, but you and your sister are hardly in that category," she said warmly. "I'm sure it can be arranged."

"What can be arranged?" said Tyaron, coming up and sitting down next to Alagos.

Alagos looked quickly at his sister, but she didn't seem inclined to answer, so he explained about visiting Nîn in Eilph. Eärniel was quick to extend the invitation to him, too.

"I would very much like to visit there - it sounds worth risking a few arrows to see!" Tyaron said, and picked up one of the shafts from the little pile of shafts awaiting their feathers, running it through his fingers.

"I just came from Hwesta, R*an, and she is well," he said, turning to face R*an. "I took her out for a short ride, which she was very glad to have, and then brushed her down and left her with some treats. She is being well taken care of."

"Thank you, I'm glad to hear that, and I'm sure she appreciated the ride. Please take her out whenever you want to."

Tyaron nodded and, reaching for a feather, asked Alagos, "Do you want me to glue while you wrap?"

Alagos slapped his hand away in mock anger as he replied, "Get your big, clumsy swordsman's hands away from my feathers!"

Tyaron rolled his eyes and mumbled a reply, in which the elvish equivalents of "neurotic archers" and other such descriptive words figured largely.

"Oh, you're just jealous, because you know what they say about archers..." said Alagos slyly.

"I know what swordsmen say about archers," replied Tyaron thoughtfully, as he critically examined the arrow shaft.

Alagos laughed and grabbed the wooden shaft out of his hand. "And you know what the archers say about swordsmen, and you must admit it's funnier!"

Tyaron grinned and said, "It is pretty funny, I admit!"

"Oh, stop it, you two!" said R*an in exasperation. She turned to Eärniel. "You have no idea how lucky you are to not have a brother!" She turned back to the two men just in time to see Alagos doing a very good imitation of her to Tyaron, who was trying to stifle a laugh. "I can see we're not needed here; they're amusing themselves just fine!" she said huffily, but trying to stifle a laugh herself because Alagos was so clever at imitations.

Alagos actually laid down the shaft he was working on, knocking the feather askew (horrors!), and going around behind his sister, put his arms around her. "I'm sorry, sister; we just like teasing each other. But now I am your slave; tell me what you wish me to do and I will do it."

R*an looked at him complacently and reached up to caress his hair. "Oh, stop - you know I can't stay mad at you for very long, anyway. But I would like a song - it's such a lovely day. One of your light, quick ones."

Tyaron's voice was full and rich and was at its best in the slower songs, but Alagos's voice was fluid and melodious, and he excelled at the quick little grace notes and other such things that added such beauty to the lighter songs. He kissed his sister and then, sitting up straight, started singing.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-17-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #516
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Treat, Treat, where are you?" the others shouted when the mischiveous marten just disappeared in front of their eyes.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #517
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"It is him, the stable-boy! I have known it from the start! T’was him as was with Zimra last night, t’was him as made her drink, and lied about it! He murdered her as sure as if he pushed her down hisself!".

Constable BB took a step back, shaking his head and sending his long curly locks glinting in the first rays of sunshine seen that morning ...

Nimphredil, his young wife, had learnt a few secrets from an elf once .. and the shampoos she concocted were the marvel of Tharbad ...

she had taken to bottling it and now sold this wonderous concoction between three and six on Mondays on a little stall down on The street of the hours ... make a lovely present, all wrapped up nice like, she'd said .... "reassuringly expensive!" she'd added with a mischevious smile ...

"Now then, now then, Lass!" said bariliman took a back momentarily ...

Zimra started crying, great heaving hysterical sobs ....

barli stood there hesitating, pity in his eyes .... then slowly he took her in his arms and gently patting her back steered her into the hall and with his unnerring sense of where food and drink could be found and following watson's keen nose and wagging tail he found the kitchen...

Sitting her down at the rough hewn oak kitchen table he put a brew on ...

"nice cup o' tea's what you needs me dear"

As zimra's sobs slowly subsided the whistle of the kettle brought them both back from their thoughts ...

barli brought two mugs to the kitchen table and the pot ...

"Where's the milk and sugar?' he added absently mindedly, looking around

Zimra looked up at last, "over there " - she pointed - and before Barliman could move she got up, pulling herself together a bit and straightening her hair ... nice hair thought Bingo ... a bit frazzled and dull, mind ... he must remember to have Nimphredil bring a bottle over ...

when at last they had had a few sips of tea, Constable BB, with a cough, continued his questions...

"How's your tea? ..not too strong i hope?"

" ... fine, thank-you Constable ..." zimra replied awkwardly.

"Now, now .. Bingo between friends, an' in private like ..."

Zimra, after the shock news, was now thinking about what she had said by the doorway... oh dear ..she really wasn't sure about all that ..what had she done? She dreaded The questioning of the watch - what would she say to his next question? ... she was dreading it ...

barliman had something pressing on his mind, well only one way to find out ...

"Any brandy and milk around, here?"

Once watson was happily having some of his favourite tipple from a bowl on the floor at barli's feet, and the constable was sure the lass had calmed down a bit ... she'd almost smiled at the thankful look on watson's face when he'd sniffed the bowl ... The constable, twiddling anxiously with the star on red sable pinned at the top of his green watch cloak, the emblem of the watch and a proud and noble insignia, to his mind ....

twiddling with that he finally decided the investti-er-agttin' had better start....

"Now then, Zimra, perhaps you tell me what all that was you were a saying just now? Who's this "him" and what's it all about?"

and though he said it kindly, his eyes were keen and he watched her closely ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-17-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #518
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

"Now then, Zimra, perhaps you tell me what all that was you were a saying just now? Who's this "him" and what's it all about?"

Zimra blushed furiously and looked down at her hands, rough from hard work, now clutching the mug.

"Oh dear ..I don’t know, constable. Perhaps I ought not tell, as I am not sure about all that … Still ‘tis mighty strange, if you know what I mean. Melwen is a good girl, that she was…" Zimra sobbed again.

"Never drank aught, but water, or a mug of house beer now and then…But never wine. Never three bottles of it. Someone made her drink, that’s what I say, and I don’t know who would drink kitchen wine, unless it was them stable boys. One is just a boy, never remember his name, but the other, Arastud by name, he brought her back yesterday night, all drunk and a-crying and fey-like, if you understand my meaning. And he lied to me then, and he was a-looking guilty. And then, this morn, he told me a story, as Melwen came to him in the night and started being over-friendly with him..." Zimra crushed the mug on the table, hard. She was angry now.

"What did he mean with his "being-over-friendly" thing? It can’t be true, constable, she was a straight girl, not like some slattern down at the docks! ‘Tis all a lie, if you ask me!" finished Zimra with new-found determination.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-17-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #519
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, three o’clock

"Whats the soil like down there in Linhir? ... good wine growing area is it? any varietals specialised down that way?"

“Exceptionally good!” Udu explained, noting to himself that Bumbledore’s face was looking far more florid than it had when he had first entered the tavern. “The old boy is getting besotted,” Udu gloated to himself.

“Actually, grapes are rather undemanding plants and ask little except that the soil be well-drained. Their growth does not require high fertility of the soil, and they are admirably suited for many soils, but they prefer a slight acidity.”

Udu was pleased with this knowledge of grape culture, having learned much about it during his days in the East. He tried to recall what he knew of Linhir.

“Considering the pleasant agricultural region; the city’s location at the confluence of two rivers, the Gilrain and the Serni; its proximity to the bay; and the fact that the main road runs through its heart, the city is ideally located to be a major commercial center. Yes, indeed, the area is renowned for Linhir Red, an exceptionally tangy and zesty wine which will please the most discriminating tastes.”

The barman had brought the fifth bottle, and Udu watched the faces of Jas Fernik and Bumbledore eagerly to see if either of them was showing signs of succumbing to the great quantity of wine which they had consumed. Jas looked a little paler than he had earlier, but Bumbledore, though his face was red and flushed, seemed ready to take on another challenge. Udu was confident, however, that he would outdrink the both of them, and waited with anticipation to see which one of his opponents would be the first to slide under the table.

Udu noted with a pleased expression that when Jas uncorked the bottle of white that his hand seemed to be trembling slightly. Udu slowly savored his refilled goblet and looked at the wine parchment.

“I think a bottle of Linhir Red ‘34 might provide an interesting change from white, if I might suggest.” Definitely Fernik looked more than a little pale. Udu pretended he did not notice and smiled to himself.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-18-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #520
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"I'm here, guys." Treat said and reappeared, taking the ring off."It's neat. You ought to try it out." Handing the ring to Trick who put it on and disappeared.