Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 AM   #501
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
I also can't quite get Sindarin down. I enjoy the mutations, but they are hard to remember, and the Mix Mutation is very frustrating. Why don't we start speaking in Sindarin as well?
Also, Falagar, do you have a wordlist or dictionary you use for Sindarin? I've never been able to locate any good ones.
The one that is always reccomended is Hiswëloke's dictionary (which you can download), unfortunately I don't have the link here. I think there should be some vocabulary at http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/ but I'm not sure. www.councilofelrond.com is also an excellent Sindarin-source, with a decent word-list and course (for non-linguists, so you don't have to be familiar with all those linguisti expressions to take it).

Last edited by Falagar : 11-04-2003 at 07:24 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #502
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
...As for the trivia, "Ambo Rudh" is Amon Rudh. "What sprouts on Amon Rudh?" I am ashamed that I forgot that verbs go at the end of the sentence in questions.
The plant was Aeglos.
Ah, I understand it now.
Damn. I got it wrong, then.
Quote:
Originally posted by Aden
E! QUENYA EA ALCARINQUA. (is it right??)
I think "e" is used in Sindarin, but not Quenya.
"E!" Quenya (lambe) exists glorious. Is what you said... but if you want to say "is" then you can say...
Ai (alas)! Quenya lambe (for the Quenya language/tongue) ná alcarinqua.

Sanda, Aden... Quenya lambe ná alcarinqua.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #503
Aden
Elven Warrior

I think that E means "indeed" in Quenya
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM   #504
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I think that E means "indeed" in Quenya
ah... úharyan handë. Nás sinya quetta?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #505
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
What does iharyan mean?? Does sina mean "this"? (it is hard at the beggining)
Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #506
Aden
Elven Warrior

tule i lome. Namarie (hope I got that right)
Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 AM   #507
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm sorry for the three posts I know I did say farewell but I just remembered that I don't answer Ruinel's question. (I was really confused trying to learn translate and write at the same time) So if I am not mistaken you're asking if that word is new (right???) refering to E. Well I actually found it in a book. I think that it is accurate though I'm not absolutely sure. One more time goodnight and thank you for your help
Old 11-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #508
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
What does uharyan mean?? Does sina mean "this"? (it is hard at the beggining)
"úharyan handë. Nás sinya quetta?"
"úharyan" = ú-harya-n = not possess I = I do not possess. The pronoun is placed after the word "possess".
"handë" = knowledge

So... I do not possess (this) knowledge.

You are correct about the second sentence.
"Nás sinya quetta?"
"Nás" = Ná + s = is + it = it is. Again, the pronoun is placed after "is".
"sinya" = new
"quetta" = word
So.... It is new word?

Namarië, Aden.

Last edited by Ruinel : 11-05-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #509
Aden
Elven Warrior

AI! Yallumë nan sinomë. Melanë Qyenya lambë ar nan valin ta sina lia ea sinomë. ( I did try really hard for this. By the way what does "yo" mean? )

Namarië vanimar
Old 11-06-2003, 07:43 AM   #510
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I don't have time to respond, but yo means with, anyway. Gotta run.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #511
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

OK, now I have time to respond:

Maara tulie! Ar melin Quenya. Quetel maarave!

You can use ea for to be, but often we use:
naa present
nauva future
nee past
It's a misfortune that Tolkien never fully completed the word "to be". Any double vowels you see are the same as accented vowels.

Welcome!

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #512
Aden
Elven Warrior

Ata, nan sinomë. Vanyan oa, ananta fëanya naa sinomë. Ai, nolwë calaquendion na oira. Mern hanya i quettar " thank you" ( so that I can at least thank you for your valiable help. Just hope I don't bother you. )
Namarië vanimar!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #513
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
AI! Yallumë nan sinomë. Melanë Qyenya lambë ar nan valin ta sina lia ea sinomë. ( I did try really hard for this. By the way what does "yo" mean? )

Namarië vanimar
Ornelira is correct, "yo" means "with".

Translation:
"Alas! At last I am in this place. I love Quenya language and I am happy that/it this thread to be in this place.

Farewell beautiful ones."
Hantanyel. Quettarilya nar vi mussë linquë fanyarëllo.

Quote:
Ata, nan sinomë. Vanyan oa, ananta fëanya naa sinomë. Ai, nolwë calaquendion na oira. Mern hanya i quettar " thank you" ( so that I can at least thank you for your valiable help. Just hope I don't bother you. )
Namarië vanimar!
"Again, I am in this place. I depart away, but yet my spirit is in this place. Alas, wisdom of the Light Elves is eternal. I wish (merin) understand the words 'thank you' ...."

"Thank you" = Thank-I-you = hantanyel.

You are not bothering us... but you are very welcome here. Elen sÃ*la lúmenn' omentielvo, málo. Merimmë limbe lie quet sinome.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #514
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Yo no speako Sindarin...

How does a feller get started... supposin' ee wants to learn???
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #515
Ruinel
Banned

You have a Quenya name, yet you do not speak our language? Well, we will have to fix that.

Most of us speak Quenya lambe (Quenya language) here. But you can find some who might speak Sindarin with you here as well.

The best site I've found for either is www.ardalambion.com. There's even a course for the language in the list of links.

Go and read a little and then come and practice what you have learned here. We are all willing to help.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM   #516
Valandil

Strider

Thanks Ruinel... I'll have to see what I can pull off. I'd LIKE to learn, but wonder if, realistically, the other demands of life will crowd it out. Maybe I can give it a go. I'll check that link!

IS it a Quenya name? I took it from the list of Arnor's kings (Isildur's youngest son, o course) - and I thought the Numenoreans generally used Sindarin (??). I do understand that some words carry over.

From definitions I've seen of Elendil, Elendur, Meneldil, Meneldur, Valandur, etc. - I take it that my name means something like "One who loves the Valar" - is that close to right? I actually just took it because he was a high king at Annuminas (hey - longest reigning!) and I'm really fond of the whole Arnor history thing...
Old 11-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #517
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
..IS it a Quenya name? I took it from the list of Arnor's kings (Isildur's youngest son, o course) - and I thought the Numenoreans generally used Sindarin (??). I do understand that some words carry over.

"God-friend, or Vala-friend" is the interpretation of Valandil. An apropriate name for you, I think.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:20 PM   #518
Valandil

Strider

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if it was "friend" or had to do with "love" - I think I saw something on the latter - but maybe it's akin to "phileo" (SP?) the Greek root for "brotherly love" (source of the name for Philadelphia).

What I saw (I forget where) said that "dil" indicated "love" - or "one who loves" (I don't think I'm exactly quoting whatever I read - just the gist), while "dur" indicated "servant" or "one who serves"... is that accurate? Is it Quenya or Sindarin or both?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:19 PM   #519
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hantanyel. Quettarilya nar vi mussë linquë fanyarëllo.

Translation: " Thank you. your words are like...??

[/B]
Quote:
Elen sÃ*la lúmenn' omentielvo, málo. Merimmë limbe lie quet sinome.
Translation: " Star shine upon the hour of our meeting friend. We wish (to drop?) people speak here.

Well it's a bit difficult for me to translate the rest cause I'm from Greece actually and some letters you write ( like ë, Ã*, etc) appear to me as greek letters. It's hard to distinguish which is which ( it might take me some time to get use to it) once again I'm going to need your help.
Hantanyel vanima. Namarië.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #520
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Translation: " Star shine upon the hour of our meeting friend. We wish (to drop?) people speak here.

Well it's a bit difficult for me to translate the rest cause I'm from Greece actually and some letters you write ( like ë, Ã*, etc) appear to me as greek letters. It's hard to distinguish which is which ( it might take me some time to get use to it) once again I'm going to need your help.
Hantanyel vanima. Namarië.
"Elen sÃ*la lúmenn' omentielvo, málo. Merimmë limbe lie quet sinome."
(A) Star shines upon the hour of our meeting, friend. We wish more people speak in this place.

We could all do as Ornelira does... she simply doubles an elongated vowel. And we don't need to put the diaresis on the 'e' at the end. Its only there to remind us to pronouce that 'e'. Would that be more helpful?