Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #501
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
I'm not a substitute teacher, but I know a few, and I've worked with them - it's definitely interesting, varied work, and if the idea of seeing how different schools operate appeals to you, you should like it. Some lesson plans that teacers leave can be rather vague, so you'll probably find yourself needing to use your initiative and/or imagination a lot! Oh, and if you're considering secondary/high school level, it's a lot easier if you're an assertive person (or can come across that way. ) That's in the UK, though, so if you're elsewhere, it might be totally different
Thank you, Aikanáro! I'd be starting with middle school (pre-teen age group), and going from there. Assertive?! I dont know I tend to be shy. I think highschoolers would probably walk all over me Anyway i haven't applied yet, i'm still thinking about it. It's just an idea someone had as to something that i could do with my degree. I don't know whether it would truly be for me, or not, but i'd be willing to give it a try (Btw, i'm in the US).
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #502
Mari
Elf Lady

Have you ever taught before, or taken teaching classes?
Because lots of things about teaching actually can be learned. The biggest tip we learned at school and a boobytrap for many: you're not their friend, you are their teacher.

If you're not sure about applying or not, maybe you can request a trial? Or a sit in at someone else's class?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #503
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Have you ever taught before, or taken teaching classes?
Because lots of things about teaching actually can be learned.
No, i haven't. I don't have a teaching certification, only a Bachelor's degree in Humanities, but the certification is not required for substitute teaching where i live (the certification would get you a permanent full-time position). I have some experience with informal tutoring, and my work experience since the degree has been in a somewhat-related field. But guiding small tours through a quiet museum is a bit different from standing in front of a class We'll see how it goes!

Quote:
The biggest tip we learned at school and a boobytrap for many: you're not their friend, you are their teacher.
Oh, don't worry about that. I'm old enough that they would not see me as 'their friend' and i'm aware of the kinds of social boundaries that would need to be drawn, but it's a relief to know that "teaching can be taught". If i end up liking the experience, i may get certified once i relocate (those classes are unfortunately not available where i live right now).

Quote:
If you're not sure about applying or not, maybe you can request a trial? Or a sit in at someone else's class?
This is a great idea. I have been encouraged however to just go ahead and apply. I thought of starting out with an "aide" position instead but there are no such positions open. Evidently i have more education than many substitites in my area, so they'd be willing to throw me right in I'm ok with that, though. The very worst that could happen is that i'll hate it, and resign.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #504
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, I can only hope you'll love it then!
Maybe we'll meet as colleagues some day then (though I intend to teach full time) ^_^

Old 10-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #505
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I had another nice walk tonight, although it was only two miles, with my dog. It wasn't nearly long enough to eat into her energy, but I think she enjoyed it anyways because it was down a path we've never taken before and she enjoyed the new smells. Her hackles kept rising every time she heard a strange noise . It was cute.

I think tomorrow morning I'm going to look into taking her to one of the local nature parks. We've had such -awesome- weather lately in the mornings and evenings that it would be a shame not to enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #506
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Well, I can only hope you'll love it then!
Thanks!

Quote:
Maybe we'll meet as colleagues some day then (though I intend to teach full time) ^_^
Who knows! Though depending on which way things go, i may just bypass the teaching certificate and head for graduate school (and possibly teaching in a different environment altogether). I've put off grad school for a long time, despite wanting to go, but the reasons for putting it off may no longer be an issue in the coming year. So much is in God's hands right now.

Tessar, it sounds like you had a nice walk.

Reason for me to be happy: This is post #400!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #507
katya
Elven Maiden

Tessar: I'm glad to hear your are continuing to exercise. Continuing is the most important part. I started out my working out but just doing one or two quick and easy things every morning, and once that was firmly established only then did I start the running (which is a lot harder for me). I feel a lot better, and I love getting out before the sun is up and wandering around the neighborhood. Especially now that the roads are carpeted in beautiful golden and red leaves.

Vorowen: I am a substitute teacher. I will try to give you some advice now- if you ever have any other questions for me feel free to PM (or you can ask in a thread but I don't always see them. Using my name helps though because very so often I'll search for "katya" to see if anyone was trying to tell me something). I have been subbing since the beginning of this school year and a few weeks last year. I'm not a pro yet, but I do work almost every day, and I am taking education classes as well.

1. Like Mari said, you are their teacher, not their friend. This isn't only about not crossing lines. It is important that you not share personal information with them, or have unprofessional kinds of conversations with them, not trying to form outside of school relationships with them, etc. But it's not just that. You also have to not try to make them like you. I have tried to be "the cool sub" before, and that just means they'll think they can get away with anything. I am the cool sub in my Japanese classes because they're good kids and they can handle it. But, Thursday, they pushed it too far and were talking when I was instructing them and I had to give them a talk (This is inappropriate, you wouldn't do this to your regular teacher, please try to be respectful, etc.) and they were really shocked. I don't think they expected that from me. They were silent the rest of the class but a little cold to me too. So basically, don't be afraid to be strict, as long as you're reasonable and fair. Don't try too hard to be liked. Don't make them like to have you because you're a pushover. Be liked because you're a good teacher.

2. continued... I have found that looking and talking like a teacher helps you be taken seriously. This is especially difficult for me because I look young enough to be a high schooler. I try to dress like a teacher. I use teacher-y language (I don't do it on purpose, it just happened) like instead of "Hey stop talking", "There shouldn't be any talking right now."

3. Confidence. If you don't have confidence, just fake it. At the beginning of the hour get everyone's attention (wait until they're all quiet), introduce yourself, take attendance, and tell them what you'll be doing first. Watch out for announcements though, they often come on right after the bell at the beginning of the day. Don't know about where you are. It's important not to stand around looking unsure of yourself. Start strong right from the beginning. Write your name on the board if you don't wanna be called "Miss.. teacher!"

That's all I have for now. Gotta go out running!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #508
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Thanks, Katya! That's all very helpful.

This opportunity just sort of fell in my lap. It's not something i had ever even thought about doing before, so when i was asked if i was interested i was a little surprised. But God works in strange ways sometimes. All i can do is give it a try, and see how it goes.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #509
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
Thanks, Katya! That's all very helpful.

This opportunity just sort of fell in my lap. It's not something i had ever even thought about doing before, so when i was asked if i was interested i was a little surprised. But God works in strange ways sometimes. All i can do is give it a try, and see how it goes.
Give it a shot! I'll be praying for your success

I got my mom the new Michael Buble CD, and she put it on. So far it's really great! I always love his voice, and it makes me so happy to hear him .

Last edited by Tessar : 10-24-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #510
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I got my mom the new Michael Buble CD, and she put it on. So far it's really great! I always love his voice, and it makes me so happy to hear him .
Ah, but now the important question is: Does your mum also like it?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #511
katya
Elven Maiden

We just bought a bunch of classical albums yesterday. It's fun playing them on the turntable. At first I forgot there are two sides to them and I was confused. "Well, Peer Gynt's here, but where's the piano concerto???"
Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #512
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Give it a shot! I'll be praying for your success

Never heard of him, but I'm liking his cover of Feeling Good.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #513
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Today I went for a decently long walk with the dog (about four miles, I guess... it took an hour or so), and I just worked out. With weights.

.... RAAAAAR!!!!!!!

I'm so happy that I'm actually able to stick with exercising. It's so much better than my sporadic exercising used to be.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #514
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I finished my essay!!!

(Context: the first proper essay I've written in about 6 years, first academic-style essay I've written ever, which I've been agonizing over for days. I covered almost everything I wanted to, and hit the word count exactly (through coincidence, not clever manipulation, although that's probably what I'd have done if I was a few words either side. ))

Not that it's a particularly good essay or anything. The point is that I finished it.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #515
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Good job, Aika!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #516
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

And I've learned this week that my thesis on which I graduated a couple of years ago is now firmly out-dated. I consider this good news, strange as this may be, because the reason it has become out-dated is that they've finally uncovered the (or a) mechanism by which the chytrid-fungus is decimating frog species worldwide. Go science!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #517
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

So did they find the ecological mechanism (why frog and fungus can't live happily side by side) or the biochemical mechanism (how fungus kills frog)?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #518
Mari
Elf Lady

I passed Statistics with an 8.4 for my theoretical and an 8.11 for my practical (out of 10.0)

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #519
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
So did they find the ecological mechanism (why frog and fungus can't live happily side by side) or the biochemical mechanism (how fungus kills frog)?
Biochemical. At the time of my thesis, it was supposed the fungus killed by suffocating the infected animals due to their permeable skins. Now studies shows the fungus impedes electrolyte transfer through the skin, ultimately causing cardiac arrest.

Of course, we're not out of the woods yet. Exactly how the fungal disease hampers the transfer is not found yet, and while captive populations can be relatively easily cured of chytrid, the cure to safeguard wild populations which is the utmost necessity is -alas- still a long way off. (I still have nightmares about that one guy pointing out pristine rainforest hills and going: "Before the end of the year there won't be a frog left alive here as far as the eye can see.")

But today we're just a teeny bit closer to stopping chytrid than last week. So I'm happy enough.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #520
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
I passed Statistics with an 8.4 for my theoretical and an 8.11 for my practical (out of 10.0)
Congratulations!!!

We've been doing employee evaluations at the church where I sing, and I had mine two weeks ago. It was really nice... we spent a couple of minutes talking about me, then basically just chit-chatted about music.

Tonight the guy I took voice lessons from over the summer (who is the other bass section leader), had his evaluation. After the rehearsal he and I were talking about some music, and he started telling me about his evaluation. He said they spent two minutes reviewing his sheet, and then they apparently spent the rest of the time talking about me and how great they both think I am... and how they both think I'm headed for a career as a professional singer. O_o

That makes me happier than anything else I can even think of. Apparently the director just loves me, and my coach just keeps putting in good words for me and talking me up to the director. So I'm certainly in no immediate danger of being replaced with an older singer. YAY JOB SECURITY!!!
Closed Thread