Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #501
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Had to give those at Orrodel SOME break, jimmany, I am amazed the Tharbad Watch and armed forces havent comming knocking in the door. ANYways, Glad you liked it Rian and Lotesse.

Oh, lotesse, come join the christmas party, some one has to bring the alchohal!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #502
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Nice posts guys.
Glad to have you joining us Sun-star
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #503
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Very nice posts Sun and Shah! They run so smoothly together, just great. You should talk more in the future!

Where is our Estelmo? I miss the nice old man!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 PM   #504
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
It has a tune, or i think it does...Val, is it going by the same tune the beach boys used in california girls? Its a good song, But i really would think that "Back in U-M-B-A-R You dont know how lucky you are" would top the charts...*starts whislting the song*
Write it then,
Gurr-frenn...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #505
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
TD, well, if you want to meet Sapthan now, I believe he can come say Hi to Galadannun. But that will require Udu to change the last two lines of his previous post, making the Chancellor take Sapthan to the Library. Have you asked Udu to do this?
Udu, Is it OK to ask you to post Sapthan's introduction to the hated Galadannun and his impressions now? Or you had other ideas?
Gordis and TD, I have edited my Post #638. If there are any changes, additions, etc, that you want, just give me the word.

TD, great post!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #506
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

nice new edit, Udu - hmm, so he's vaguely bothered, hey? ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #507
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
nice new edit, Udu - hmm, so he's vaguely bothered, hey? ...
Yes, Sapthan feels vaguely uneasy. He is going to be talking to his rival for the position that he coveted so much, so he would be cautious in what he said. While he trusts the Chancellor, he does not know about the other two.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #508
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thank you for the edit, Udu!
I think the Chancellor will not tell Khamul and Udu the source of his info, as he wants Sapthan to watch them both, just in case.

Udu, are you going to post now about the meeting of Sapthan and Khamul?

Will Sapthan be taking the company up to show the library now or would you like to leave it for rpg-Tuesday?

Last edited by Gordis : 12-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #509
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Thank you for the edit, Udu!
I think the Chancellor will not tell Khamul and Udu the source of his info, as he wants Sapthan to watch them both, just in case.

Udu, are you going to post now about the meeting of Sapthan and Khamul?

Will Sapthan be taking the company up to show the library now or would you like to leave it for rpg-Tuesday?
Gordis,

I just posted. Feel free to suggest edits. If you want to be the "minder" for Sapthan and let him lead the tour, please feel free to do so. He is a willing minion.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #510
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Great post, Udu! I imagine three powerful male Ulari in one room would be an ever-so-intimidating kind of feeling for the weaselly Sapthan. He'd sense the power, even if vaguely, and that kind of combined triage of evil force in one room could make a little weasel like that accidentally wet his pants...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #511
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis,
I just posted. Feel free to suggest edits. If you want to be the "minder" for Sapthan and let him lead the tour, please feel free to do so. He is a willing minion.
Thank you, Udu. Wonderful post! I especially liked: “Probably another one of the long line of fawning sycophants who follow the Morgul Lord around, hoping to receive some favor or reward!”
Yes, perhaps the Morgul lord also had a line of mortal assistants, like Sauron had the Mouth...

And yes, Sapthan was wrong to underestimate Khamul. Perhaps because Khamul looks like a barbarian Easterling. Numenorean superiority...

As I said, the tour of the Library is all yours. I will postpone it till rpg-Tuesday, if you don't mind, so now I can lead Udu and Khamul down...
Is it OK?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #512
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Great post, Udu! I imagine three powerful male Ulari in one room would be an ever-so-intimidating kind of feeling for the weaselly Sapthan. He'd sense the power, even if vaguely, and that kind of combined triage of evil force in one room could make a little weasel like that accidentally wet his pants...
It looks like the Ulairi manage to conceal their power effectively. They fooled the King and Oreturion, and Rian and K, and almost fooled Earniel. I hope Sapthan feels nothing intoward. What do you think, Udu?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #513
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I forgot to mention, I loved that fawning sycophants line a lot, too. Very descriptive, in a nutshell. I'm not saying Sapthan would ACTually feel weirded out at all; our Nazgul would definitely have more than enough ability to hide their true evil power from someone as simple as the man Sapthan. But, just their natural man-like power, from what Sapthan thinks he knows about the Chancellor et al, would be enough to make him a LITTLE intimidated. I mean, he wouldn't feel equal to them, that's for sure. He's definitely a fawning sycophant. I like the "almost simpering" bit, too.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-13-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #514
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
As I said, the tour of the Library is all yours. I will postpone it till rpg-Tuesday, if you don't mind, so now I can lead Udu and Khamul down...
Is it OK?
Gordis, who knows when Tuesday will begin? Monday night is still young, and Sapthân is wandering about the fountain. He might still be out there in the morning, sleepless and with bloodshot eyes.

Glad you liked my post, Lotesse and Gordis. Sapthân is indeed a weasely, simpering, fawning sort.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 12-14-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #515
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Udu, in your most recent post, you reminded me very strongly of the heathen religions of our own world's ancient times.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-14-2005, 01:18 AM   #516
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
It looks like the Ulairi manage to conceal their power effectively. They fooled the King and Oreturion, and Rian and K, and almost fooled Earniel. [/B]
Not quite, for Rian - I've written in a few little things she picked up in some posts, and I haven't posted everything she's thought...

basically, yes, tho - she has no reason to be suspicious and be on her guard, so it might take awhile for things to add up a bit, and she has had her mind on other things, too.

Udu and Gordis - nice creepy posts!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #517
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

woot, i cant wait till the classes actually get under way and we van actually get some interaction going on!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #518
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Udu, in your most recent post, you reminded me very strongly of the heathen religions of our own world's ancient times.
Yes. No doubt Tolkien based the Dark Religion of the Sauronites upon the ancient religions. There were human sacrifices, temples and shrines. This is in the Silmarillion and in the History of Middle-earth series; LOTR only hints of it.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 AM   #519
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yes. No doubt Tolkien based the Dark Religion of the Sauronites upon the ancient religions. There were human sacrifices, temples and shrines. This is in the Silmarillion and in the History of Middle-earth series; LOTR only hints of it.
That's true; I haven't read the Sil for a while. Cutting oneself in prayer was a practice of the priests of the Phoenician and Carthaginian peoples, but since Tolkien seems to have been basing his ideas off of them, drawing those links like you did certainly was an interesting and appropriate touch.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #520
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Udu,I liked your last post very much. Indeed I think the Black Numenorean cults of Darkness resembled Babylonian and Phoenician ones. The Temple in Numenor, I believe was quite Babylonian, used for burning human sacrifices.

Also, I found it ironic that Sapthan tries to weave a Dark spell against Khamul. He has no idea that the other is way up the food chain of Darkness, so to say. The spell may rebound on himself...

One little nitpick: it seems to me at the end of your post you mistakenly typed "library" instead of "palace". Sapthan lives in the palace, right above the Chancellor. So he meditates now near Aiwendis's fountain, it seems. Will he meet her??

Quote:
Gordis, who knows when Tuesday will begin? Monday night is still young, and Sapthân is wandering about the fountain. He might still be out there in the morning, sleepless and with bloodshot eyes.
There is this ghost, the headless soldier. Isn't Sapthan afraid of him? No servant ventures in the garden at night, all are afraid. But perhaps Sapthan isn't? Maybe, if he seeks Dark Knowledge.

Quote:
Sapthân is indeed a weasely, simpering, fawning sort.
Something like a mixture of the Mouth of Sauron and Grima Wormtongue with a little addition of Daeron of Doriath to balance it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
But, just their natural man-like power, from what Sapthan thinks he knows about the Chancellor et al, would be enough to make him a LITTLE intimidated. I mean, he wouldn't feel equal to them, that's for sure.
You are quite right, he is intimidated by the Chancellor for sure, though he can't guess the extent of his power, as the Chancellor is careful not to use any strong spells or do anything "unnatural". As for the two others, he has not really spoken to them, just assessed their appearance. I think he underestimated Khamul because he thought him a barbarian Easterling, lower in birth and learning than himself. Even if Galadannun is half-Numenorean, it is not good enough for Sapthan, as I see it. He is mistaken, of course, and very probably will pay for it...
Closed Thread