Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 08:37 PM   #501
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Tilting at windmills! Why, Don Quixote, of course!
It may be a new wave, but I prefer full words...it really isn't that much harder to type you instead of u, and when I'm used to writing properly for school papers and stories I write on my own, it's sort of a habit anyway.

Who is BQ1146?

Tanoliel

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 03-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #502
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Oh thats Miss Bunnie Queen 1146!
How do you invision her?

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:58 PM   #503
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
Tilting at windmills! Why, Don Quixote, of course!
bravo. I dont know how old you are but im guessing most people under say 23 wouldnt have a clue as to that reference. but then this is a very literary bunch. not the common AOL peasentry like I was saying before.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-10-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:18 AM   #504
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I've heard of him (Don Quixote). I don't think that you could really classify me as literaryish though.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #505
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
I've heard of him (Don Quixote). I don't think that you could really classify me as literaryish though.
So do you read less then your average video game playing skate boarding 12 year old bretheren? Or more? Do you think your average 12 year old would even have spoken up about a reference from a complex book written in spain 400 years ago? I doubt it. Dont humble yourself lady youve got plenty of brains for someone so young.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:05 AM   #506
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
So now you know why I don't use smilies that often. Nevermind about me holding the record for most smilies in one post...
Sheesh, and here I was thinking you didn't know how

IR - I believe there is a certain degree of chat-speak that might be acceptable (just about everyone uses LOL etc) but to make up an entire post of it is ridiculous. In other "chat" rooms it's fine because of the context - if it's a "live" chat & you have something to say you have to do it fast before someone beats you to it, however here we do not have a chat facility so 'mooters have enough time (and space) to say what they feel without resorting to nonsensical "chats". Can you imagine what a headache it would be if all posts looked that? Especially the longer posts in the LoTR threads? Being too lazy / incapable of spelling correctly is no way of inventing a language (and no I am not referring to the fangirls - it's a general observation)
Old 03-11-2003, 11:46 AM   #507
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Being too lazy / incapable of spelling correctly is no way of inventing a language
I don't use chat-speak (at least I don't think that I do), and I can't spell any thing. Like who ever said it before, it is probably just because people are to lazy to type out full words, and they want to post things quickly to get there post counts up.

it dosnt rilly bothr me but dat is prolly cus im used 2 it.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:52 AM   #508
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
IR - I believe there is a certain degree of chat-speak that might be acceptable (just about everyone uses LOL etc) but to make up an entire post of it is ridiculous. In other "chat" rooms it's fine because of the context - if it's a "live" chat & you have something to say you have to do it fast before someone beats you to it, however here we do not have a chat facility so 'mooters have enough time (and space) to say what they feel without resorting to nonsensical "chats". Can you imagine what a headache it would be if all posts looked that? Especially the longer posts in the LoTR threads? Being too lazy / incapable of spelling correctly is no way of inventing a language (and no I am not referring to the fangirls - it's a general observation)
Oh spelling badly is a whole different ball game (of which im extrimmellee giltee ). And I agree with you there that posts should be at least comprehensable to the other mooters. I come from the other extreme in fact. Sometime I worry I say too much in my posts and that people will glaze over from too much wordage (shut up Insidious. You talk too much). Simplicity is an art form which Im always chasing it seems. But if someone shows me there is intelligence behind their words in the quality of concepts that they post then I can certainly forgive any mispellings and chat lingo (assuming I can at least read it).

Im still clueless about the abreviations used even for Tolkien related material. Are they in the FAQ? I mean I know the LOTR and TTT and all that by now but sometimes Ill see strange abreviated references to other things and Im not sure what they are talking about. And sometimes there will be three or for of these abreviations in a row. To an outsider this kind of communication would probably look strange too. So its a matter of perspective I think.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #509
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Bah! I know that I at least have never (that I can remember, at least) skipped on of your posts because it was too wordy.

Which abbreviations do you not know?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #510
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Do you think your average 12 year old would even have spoken up about a reference from a complex book written in spain 400 years ago? I doubt it.
Well some other people might have. I didn't read the original one. I read the childrens illustrated classics copy of it. So I don't consider myself being superior to other 12 year olds, because I read that illustrated classics copy of it....I might if I had read the original, though.

Last edited by Lady of Rohan : 03-11-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:27 PM   #511
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Bah! I know that I at least have never (that I can remember, at least) skipped on of your posts because it was too wordy.
well I appreciate you puting up with my blathering Gwaimir thats impressive. Sometimes I dont even reread my own posts. *laugh* Ill write furiously, post, look at it then think "god thats so long!" and go off to another thread.

Quote:
Which abbreviations do you not know?
well I know the big three. And Im assuming HoME is History of Middle Earth. But sometimes I also see it as TBoLT and arent these the same things? And do we really need to call The Silmarillion TS? And what the heck is TAoTB? And FGoH?

Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #512
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
Well some other people might have. I didn't read the original one. I read the childrens illustrated classics copy of it. So I don't consider myself being superior to other 12 year olds, because I read that illustrated classics copy of it....I might if I had read the original, though.
I consider you superior to other 12 year olds. In fact I consider you superior to many 18 year olds. I used to work in the school system so I know. I only read Don Quixote because I was forced to in my spanish class. Didnt like it at the time because the spanish was hard. But Im glad I did now because its an important literary work. Most kids would not even pick up the Don Quixote coloring book on their own let alone an illustrated text copy. So enough of this humble talk young lady!

Heres a question for you and all: have you ever in your life picked up an encyclopedia just to read for fun or for the heck of it?

Old 03-11-2003, 12:54 PM   #513
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
I consider you superior to other 12 year olds. In fact I consider you superior to many 18 year olds. I used to work in the school system so I know. I only read Don Quixote because I was forced to in my spanish class. Didnt like it at the time because the spanish was hard. But Im glad I did now because its an important literary work. Most kids would not even pick up the Don Quixote coloring book on their own let alone an illustrated text copy. So enough of this humble talk young lady!
just

Quote:
Heres a question for you and all: have you ever in your life picked up an encyclopedia just to read for fun or for the heck of it?
Actually, I have. I skipped through some of the boring ones though and some of the disguistiong ones (example; when they started talking about flys. I am not fond of bugs/insects at all so I skipped that part. I didn't get all that far into the encyclopoedia though). I have also read the dictionary (or tried to at least. I was trying to improve my spelling, but after I finished a page I couldn't continue because it was to boring.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:30 PM   #514
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Insidious Rex:
have you ever in your life picked up an encyclopedia just to read for fun or for the heck of it?
Yes.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:37 PM   #515
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
well I know the big three. And Im assuming HoME is History of Middle Earth. But sometimes I also see it as TBoLT and arent these the same things? And do we really need to call The Silmarillion TS? And what the heck is TAoTB? And FGoH?
TBoLT is The Book of Lost Tales. So it's not entirely the same thing as History of Middle earth. I don't know the other two, I don't think I already came across them.

The abbreviations puzzled me at first to, I remember asking about them on numerous occasions. Now I'm so used to them that I use them too without thinking about it. But you've got to admit that HoME takes a lot less time than typing History of Middle earth.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:53 PM   #516
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
have you ever in your life picked up an encyclopedia just to read for fun or for the heck of it?
Yes. The pictures were ok but I thought the plot was lousy

Beatallica
Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #517
Gwaimir Windgem

LOL!

Well, if you count Robert Frost's Complete Guide to Middle-earth, or the Tolkien Handbook...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #518
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Yes. The pictures were ok but I thought the plot was lousy
It doesnt really get good until you get to the R's.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #519
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
LOL!

Well, if you count Robert Frost's Complete Guide to Middle-earth, or the Tolkien Handbook...
Um, it's Robert Foster.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-11-2003, 05:24 PM   #520
Gwaimir Windgem

Egad! Robert FROST's Complete Guide to Middle-earth? What temporary lapse of brain activity possessed me!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread