Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #501
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Um, what exactly does your quote have to do with what you said?
You mean, that I quoted RÃ*an?

This is what RÃ*an said:
Sounds interesting!
So what's his answer? (is it predictable?)
(end of quote)

.. and to that I answered.^^ I know I could've quoted only that, but I chose quick reply, so I didn't..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #502
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Ah, got it .
Old 09-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #503
Nerdanel

I'm writing this in the happy thread, because this incident really made me laugh..

My dad visited me today. He brought with him some juice my grandmum has made; just after he went, I heard a strange sound. I then noticed that the glass bottle with juice had exploded. The entire fridge is now soaked in juice.. XD

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #504
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I'm writing this in the happy thread, because this incident really made me laugh..

My dad visited me today. He brought with him some juice my grandmum has made; just after he went, I heard a strange sound. I then noticed that the glass bottle with juice had exploded. The entire fridge is now soaked in juice.. XD
How did it explode?

I would find that funny too, until I got irritated at the prospect of cleaning up the juice.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:45 AM   #505
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
no frownies allowed: that includes Sir doc grey wolf's (TM), happy red-frownies... even if they are having a sound of music momment ...
Sound of music moment? Have u or Lotesse spotted a red-frownie in my posts? I don't recall if I've ever used the red-frownie in this thread. Or was the red flower o' Lotesse's for me?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 AM   #506
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A real happy went. Yesterday I went to Malmö (the third largest town in Sweden which lies in southwesternmost part of Scania) for a visit to the hand rehab floor and the physiopherapist said that I didn't need to have my fingers bandaged anymore because the have healed fairly well. Now it's only the palm that needs to heal and on the 13th of October I will go down there again for another visit to the physiopherapist and then the doctor who performed the surgery. And then I hope that my hand have healed so much that I can go back to work.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #507
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Whoot!

Did my first weights workout in quite some time--I've never stuck with it for more than a few weeks at the most, but I've joined an online support group for exercising, so maybe I can stick with it this time!

My motivation: Letting myself change my hairstyle if I promise to work out . I've had this -exact- same hair style since I was three years old, so I figure changing it just once to see if I like it in a different style can't hurt. I guess I've just never really bothered to change it before...
Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #508
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me . . .

I am HAPPY! The 30th of September is my BIRTHDAY!!!!! Number 20 is a big year. The third decade begins!

There won't be anything big done for this birthday, but to me it's a big event nonetheless, simply because of the age. Also I'm getting A's in college, which I'm considering a present from God . Prayer is a vital part of getting those grades. That and bribing the teachers .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-30-2005, 02:04 AM   #509
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Happy Birthday to you,
You write RPG's, ooh!
Your sister's got a great voice,
And your brother does toooooooooooooo!

In retrospect, I may need to go back to lyrics 101.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU OLD PERSONAGE, YOU!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:44 AM   #510
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
How did it explode?

I would find that funny too, until I got irritated at the prospect of cleaning up the juice.
i guess it had fermented somehow..XD

yeah, it wasn't very easy to clean it up. sticky.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #511
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Whoot!

Did my first weights workout in quite some time--I've never stuck with it for more than a few weeks at the most, but I've joined an online support group for exercising, so maybe I can stick with it this time!
Cool. What are your goals?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #512
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My basic goal right now is to not look so stick-like. Since I'm 6' 1" (actually I might be 6' 2") and I have very little body fat, but also very little muscle, I look like a tall bean pole and I just look -awkward-. I hate that.

Basically I want some definition for my pecs, flatten out my abs some, and beef up my biceps/triceps quite a bit. I might do a little work on my lats, but I want to get a 'V' shape started for my torso, so I don't really want to beef those up too much.

As for my legs, which are just too long for the rest of my body, I just need to muscle up my calves and quads so they don't look so awkward stuck onto the rest of me .

My time-goal is to be well along the way towards that within a year, and I'm using lots of Visualization since I've been told that helps quite a bit in exercising to build muscle.

I don't wanna look huge--just proportionate.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #513
trolls' bane

Quote:
My motivation: Letting myself change my hairstyle if I promise to work out . I've had this -exact- same hair style since I was three years old, so I figure changing it just once to see if I like it in a different style can't hurt. I guess I've just never really bothered to change it before...
This is sort of irrelevant, but I have had my hair the same for at least half my life (half-inch military-style cut), ever since I had long hair, which I will never have again, and good riddance to it I say now!

Quote:
My basic goal right now is to not look so stick-like. Since I'm 6' 1" (actually I might be 6' 2") and I have very little body fat, but also very little muscle, I look like a tall bean pole and I just look -awkward-. I hate that.

Basically I want some definition for my pecs, flatten out my abs some, and beef up my biceps/triceps quite a bit. I might do a little work on my lats, but I want to get a 'V' shape started for my torso, so I don't really want to beef those up too much.

As for my legs, which are just too long for the rest of my body, I just need to muscle up my calves and quads so they don't look so awkward stuck onto the rest of me .

My time-goal is to be well along the way towards that within a year, and I'm using lots of Visualization since I've been told that helps quite a bit in exercising to build muscle.

Sounds a lot like how I look. But that might have something to do with me being some 30 to 35 pounds under-weight.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #514
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:

If you're interested, I can give you some pointers. So if you aren't interested, there's no real need to read the rest of this post.

There are three important areas in weight training that need to be addressed (always remember these):

1) Diet
2) The workout itself
3) Rest

I'll expound on these in a sec, but I should first point out that it is generally far easier to achieve your goals by going through bulk and cut phases, than by staying superlean and trying to increase only muscle-mass. Basically, IMO the preferred route is to bulk up, which will increase your body-fat percentage, but not considerably. Once you have passed your goal weight, you then start to cut, which will get rid of the fat acquired during the bulk, but retain virtually all of the muscle acquired.

To elaborate on the three areas mentioned above:

1) Diet: The key to gaining weight is to always have a surplus of energy. You need to eat more calories than you expend. Furthermore, the type of weight you gain is determined by the type of food you're shovelling in. Protein should be heavily emphasized in your diet. I'd say 50%/40%/10% for protein/carbs/fat respectively.

2) Technique and form is paramount. Start light and perfect form. There are loads of weight-training programs out there, but not all of them will be suited to you. I could give you mine if you want (not the most common, but incredibly effective), but it is fairly strenuous, and even if you were serious enough to justify using it, I'd still recommend conditioning your muscles and joints for two months beforehand.

3) Rest. Your body ain't gonna grow without it. Overtraining hinders the muscles from using the extra protein that you're going to be introducing to your system. For weight training, I'd recommend a maximum of four days per week (mine is a three-day/week schedule). If you're planning on using juice, ignore this whole rest topic.

If you've got any questions, let me know. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #515
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Happy Hedonism

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #516
trolls' bane

"I know how, but I don't understand why."--1984
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #517
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Red Sox in the playoffs makes me very happy .
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #518
trolls' bane

I'm beginning to think that now that I live here, I am, for once, truly happy! I've got my reasoning too. I've noticed that within the past few weeks I've been using the happy smilie ( ) more than the laughing (or big grin) smilie ( ), which is very unusual for me. I'm doing great in school, when before, my first few weeks were always the worst. And, I'm posting like crazy! Of course, it sucks being the go-between my grandma and dad, who are constantly arguing, and often I don't say something the way the sender said it, and also it tends to come out twisted when one of them finally talks to the other.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #519
olorin hamfast
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Red Sox in the playoffs makes me very happy .
Go Sox
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #520
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I finally got round to ordering my camera today. It this one here.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Closed Thread