Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 06:42 PM   #501
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It really comes down to this:

Men and women want to believe that they are higher, and better, and more intelligent than any other species. (How egocentric!). Religion feeds that belief, that humans are special, that humans are unique. Evolution suggests that humans are nothing more than an intelligent animal. Religion is threatened by that idea. Therein lies the problem.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-29-2002 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:44 PM   #502
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
That's what Christians believe, for the most part. God created everything and made instructions for how it should run. Everything works according to the system he's put into place.
Yeah! That was exactly my point. Yay! we agree on something. So evolutionists and creationists don't have to be directly opposite viewpoints. It's so silly to say "I don't believe in evolution because I believe God made life" or vice versa. I get frustrated everytime i hear something like that. Evolutionists work on figuring out the system, and in large part, that particular branch of science doesn't really deal with how it was put in place, just how it works and how the way it works has resulted in the diversity that we see today. So how it was put in place is the realm of religion, (for now anyways), which is pretty much something that can't be tested, so not within the scope of science.
Having said that, there are some people are strict fundamentalists (yikes! fundamentalists scare me ) who still believe that the world was made in 7 days and that's what everyone should believe just because they say so. Weird but true. To that I say, " Whatever makes you happy. but natural history may not be the field you want to get into. Pick something else as a career and let the people interested in this fascinating field get on with their work."
Let's drop the evolution/creation debate, shall we? It's not even relevant and gets tiresome after a while.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #503
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I'm a strict fundamentalist. ]: )

I still believe in passive/micro/limited evolution.

That is, organisims can change (like dogs have) but only to a certain point.

I don't accept Abiogenesis, or anything that requires massive amounts of new genetic marterial.

The latter includes one animal changing into another through.

Sheesh... This post was very afro-elvish. ]: )
Old 03-29-2002, 06:51 PM   #504
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:

I don't accept Abiogenesis, or anything that requires massive amounts of new genetic marterial.

The latter includes one animal changing into another through.

Sheesh... This post was very afro-elvish. ]: )
Argh! Does that mean that everyone is going degenerate into Lords of Typing Errors according to Entropy?
Old 03-29-2002, 06:54 PM   #505
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Not entropy so much as massive amounts of time spent on the keyboard. ]; )
Old 03-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #506
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Haha! No evolutionary biology degree for you! Try something safe and non-controversial...like...oh...umm...well...I can't think of anything non-controversial. Never mind.
Speciation is such a tricky area anyways. It's actually really hard to distinguish when something very similar, but not quite, is a different species. I think we are seeing more an more that these thing exist on a continuum. We have all sort of definitions so we can say THAT is a horse and it is NOT a dog, but when you get to closer relationships, it's hard to say "is this a new species of bacteria, or is it in that species, but a different strain? How to justify that it is a different strain. And then what happens over a long long time? Aiii...such a hard problem. The problem with restricting to "passive/micro/limited evolution", or any kind of "i believe in this, but limit at that." is that where to draw the line is a problem. (Not just you. humans like to make borders in their minds. We all do.) But the more you study it, the harder it is to find where to draw the line. It's so annoying...not having distinct borders It makes things Hard and Complicated and a Big Headache. Everything is fine until one sits down to draw that line. I can't even remember where my line went.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:19 PM   #507
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
It really comes down to this:

Men and women want to believe that they are higher, and better, and more intelligent than any other species. (How egocentric!). Religion feeds that belief, that humans are special, that humans are unique. Evolution suggests that humans are nothing more than an intelligent animal. Religion is threatened by that idea. Therein lies the problem.
BOP, you became a Dr. Who bot!

This effect is very noticable. Protestants had complete control here until the sixties (Kennedy was the first Catholic to be elected president). Ince that time the influx of immigrants since have mostly been from non-christian countries. The leaps in technology has threatens Theology. Because of this, the more radical sects have made numerous assaults on the Goverment's long standing policy of separation of church and state. their goals are to use the government to peddle their religion by trying to get devolution (creationism), posting the ten commandments, and commandeering tax money for "faith based initiatives". It's a billion dollar tax exempt industry. Most of their money goes to bigger building facilities and TV stations. The strict and dogmatic adherance to the literal interpretaion of bible has not overwhelmed other sects, however.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-29-2002, 09:22 PM   #508
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
BOP, you became a Dr. Who bot!
Yah, I know, I'm too cool. Heh Heh Heh.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! *points gunstick thingy at Wayfarer* (Eliminates staff...)
Old 03-29-2002, 10:01 PM   #509
Cirdan

Quote:
I don't know where you're getting off, but my God (in the Bible) expressly told the Israelites "You saw no form of any kind the day the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the fire. Therefore watch yourselves very carefully, so that you do not become corrupt and make for yourselves an idol, an image of any shape" Do you think he would have said that if he had a physical for which resembled man?
Thump, thump, thump….

Quote:
Man is like God, but infinitely less. Just like a 486 is a computer, but immensely less powerfull than a 2.2 Gig processor.
Infintely less? As in not at all like? I’ve seen 2.2 GHz processor.

Quote:
I have some strange idea that that should have rhymed. Oh, forget it, nevermind.
It’s a quote from a song. Take it up with the artist.

Quote:
God doesn't have to walk, being omnipresent. He doesn't have talk in the same way that we do, either. As for what he looks like, I addressed that above.
Thump, thump, thump… again.

Quote:
God passes those that ask him to, and he makes them righteous along the way. Sweet deal, huh?
What can we do to get you into this religion today?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-29-2002, 10:04 PM   #510
Cirdan

Quote:

Yah, I know, I'm too cool. Heh Heh Heh.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! *points gunstick thingy at Wayfarer* (Eliminates staff...)
LOL

I had forgotten about the "Exterminate! quote. Good choice on targets! Then god said, "Exterminate the Insufferable".

*still laughing*

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #511
BeardofPants
the Shrike

EXTERMINATE! ELIMINATE! ANNIHILATE!

*Points egg-beater thingy at 'insufferable' target .... *
Old 03-30-2002, 05:52 PM   #512
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Haha! No evolutionary biology degree for you! Try something safe and non-controversial...like...oh...umm...well...I can't think of anything non-controversial. Never mind.
I think I can live without one... Computer Science all the way.

Oh, yeah. I eat controversy for breakfast... or something. ]: )

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
The problem..." is that where to draw the line is a problem. (Not just you. humans like to make borders in their minds. We all do.) But the more you study it, the harder it is to find where to draw the line. It's so annoying...not having distinct borders It makes things Hard and Complicated and a Big Headache. Everything is fine until one sits down to draw that line. I can't even remember where my line went.
Well... Like I said, I draw the line at Abiogenesis, and massive changes in the genotype.

Hmm... I guess it would be easier to say anything that violates what I know about genetics. No complete makeovers of species, no traits arising from mutation, No hopleful monsters. Etc. So, if you can prove that something will work with what we know abou tgenetics, I'll buy it. But not before.

Actually, back when I was young and naive I bought into that and didn't know where to stop. But it seems the more I learn the more clearly I can see that certain things just don't make sense. Ya know?

Cirdan:

You were assuming that christians believe something that they don't. Are you really surprised that I corrected you? ]: )

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Infintely less? As in not at all like? I’ve seen 2.2 GHz processor.
Both are processors, however, one is hugely surperior to the other. Hence the analogy. Man has certain attriibutes that God also has... but we're tiny compared to Him.

Quote:
Again...
Again you were attempting to pass of a completely erroneous view as christian belief. Again you shouldn't be surprised that you get corrected. ]: )

Quote:
What can we do to get you into this religion today?
Ok. That was funny.

Honestly though. That's not a 'special offer' but the basic package which is offered to everyone.

But if you order now... ]: )

Quote:
That may be what humans want to believe, but it's not what christainity teaches. I could make the opposite case and say that some want humans to be considerd 'the pinnacle of evolution' while christianity teaches that we're simply one of a multitude of created things.

Quote:
Cirdan, again:
the more radical sects have made numerous assaults on the Goverment's long standing policy of separation of church and state.
You could say that about more than Christians. The government has recently got itself in the habit of saying things like 'you can't pray in school', 'you can't say the pledge of allegience' (it mentions god), likewise with 'god bless america' or 'america the beautiful'.

Some Christians may be against the seperation of church and state, but many of the current institutions are far more intent on squelching freedom of speech and religion-especially where christians are concerned.

Or hadn't you noticed?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 03-30-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:00 PM   #513
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
But it seems the more I learn the more clearly I can see that certain things just don't make sense. Ya know?
Couldn't agree more. Exceptions upon exceptions, untill the rule itself is buried
Old 03-30-2002, 07:08 PM   #514
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Well... Like I said, I draw the line at Abiogenesis, and massive changes in the genotype. mm... I guess it would be easier to say anything that violates what I know about genetics. No complete makeovers of species, no traits arising from mutation, No hopleful monsters. Etc.
Downs syndrome? Jacob's syndrome? Imerslund-Grasbeck syndrome? Turner's syndrome? All these derive from genetic mutations... Okay, so these are negative ones, but they are small chromosomal changes that have a massive effect on the physiology of the anatomy.

"About one in 10 Australians of Anglo-Saxon background carry the genetic mutation, called the factor-V-Leiden (FVL) mutation. In addition to raising the risk of blood clots, it also increases the risk of second trimester miscarriage and premature birth. However, according to the new research, women with the FVL mutation also have a lining in their wombs that makes them twice as receptive to the implantation of a fertilised egg."

Quote:

That may be what humans want to believe, but it's not what christainity teaches. I could make the opposite case and say that some want humans to be considerd 'the pinnacle of evolution' while christianity teaches that we're simply one of a multitude of created things.
Yes, the key word being some. Most evolutionists (and other related fields) know better than this. You, again, could turn the gun around, and say that some christians .... blah blah blah... But, it's not a very good argument. Christianity does teach that I'm afraid: Man in God's image, as separated from the other species. Whereas, taxonomy studies the degree of relatedness, not how much humans are advanced over the other species.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-30-2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:44 PM   #515
Cirdan

Quote:
You could say that about more than Christians. The government has recently got itself in the habit of saying things like 'you can't pray in school', 'you can't say the pledge of allegience' (it mentions god), likewise with 'god bless america' or 'america the beautiful'.

Some Christians may be against the seperation of church and state, but many of the current institutions are far more intent on squelching freedom of speech and religion-especially where christians are concerned.

Or hadn't you noticed?
Shouldn't smarmy be added to the list of deadly sins?

But seriously, do you really deny that it is individual and group efforts to formalize and institutionalize prayer? No one has ever suggested that prayer should not be allowed. That would be unconstitiutional. When a teacher leads the class in a christian prayer, they violate then concept and the laws governing the separation issue. This goes back to the original point that the change in "religious demographics" means jews, muslims, hindus, and buddists would expect their religious views to be represented as well. Unmanagable and unnecessary. Religion is freely taught in private schools.

Or hadn't you noticed?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #516
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Hey, what Science is taught in Private Christian schools? I'm just curious because it seems to me that most of the Christians in this discussion seem to be ignoring science and evolution and the evidence there of. All the Science Text books that I've ever had and seen teach Evolution, etc. Do Christians believe in the very plausible Big bang theory and other Universe theories? Anyways, if Private schools don't teach evolution, etc, then what do they teach in science??? Do they teach science?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:10 PM   #517
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

In the Jesuit university where I used to teach, no department dictates on other departments. There are debates similar to these in the faculty lounge between members of the theology department and the biology department as well as the physics department which I was part of.

The university's position to questions like these are not institutionalized except through the curriculum and through the theology department and those teaching there. I just remember that theology and philosophy had a sizeable chunk every academic year and the university had to organize these talks between the concerned departments to lighten the core curriculum to give way to major subjects for the science, engineering, and management courses. Boy did sparks fly. Heheh.

It was decided, I think, that the concerned degree programs get some of their theo and philo subjects combined.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-30-2002 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:07 PM   #518
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Do Christians believe in the very plausible Big bang theory and other Universe theories?
Many Christians do. I am a Christian and I do, because I trust the most popular theory of scientists, though I am not any more married to the idea than they are (the scientists).
Old 03-31-2002, 12:12 AM   #519
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while

Quote:
To clarify my point above; You believe it just because you saw it on the news? How... gullible of you.
You believe in God just because you read it in a book? How... gullible of you

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-31-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:15 AM   #520
Darth Tater
The man

LOL you rock rouge
Closed Thread