Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #481
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

*wishes that this thread could talk about something other than Christianity once in a while. . . there are tons of other religions in the world*

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #482
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Have something in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
*wishes that this thread could talk about something other than Christianity once in a while. . . there are tons of other religions in the world*
Start something, just that as a christian I could not respond threw any other lense.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #483
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I would say it's seldom about Christianity, however people flatter themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion View Post
Start something, just that as a christian I could not respond threw any other lense.
ElTel, sometimes your typos make me read these posts several times.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #484
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
I've tried, but it always goes into Bible quoting and obscure church doctrine, and while I've read the bible (once, long ago), I can't compete on that level since I don't believe in it or see any need to read it again and again.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #485
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I've tried, but it always goes into Bible quoting and obscure church doctrine, and while I've read the bible (once, long ago), I can't compete on that level since I don't believe in it or see any need to read it again and again.
How about "How the United States "Thanksgiving" celebration, however flawed and tied up with our problematic race relations, reflects an intrinsic need of humans to celebrate the natural season, particularly at things like Harvest Time."

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #486
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Interesting.

Of course, Christmas, Easter and Halloween/All Saints day could also be thrown into the idea of Christians trying to take over "pagan" holidays.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #487
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

You betcha.

I would attribute some of the longevity of the Catholic Church, as an institution, to its willingness to co-opt local celebrations, and 'lares and penates" in order to gain public acceptance..

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #488
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Quote:
Interesting.

Of course, Christmas, Easter and Halloween/All Saints day could also be thrown into the idea of Christians trying to take over "pagan" holidays.
Exactly...

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #489
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

As someone who celebrates Samhain, Yule and Beltane instead, I find this a little annoying, but at the same time rather amusing . . .for instance, the Christmas Tree, the Easter Bunny, and a myriad of other pagan traditions still exist within the "Christian" holidays...

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #490
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
As someone who celebrates Samhain, Yule and Beltane instead, I find this a little annoying, but at the same time rather amusing . . .for instance, the Christmas Tree, the Easter Bunny, and a myriad of other pagan traditions still exist within the "Christian" holidays...
Yes, but without any of their original meaning. That is important . We took the dates of pagan holidays and sanctified them by making them Christian holy days in order to make the transition to Christianity easier for people. I believe that was very helpful to people, psychologically.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #491
inked
Elf Lord

At the risk of incurring the flaming ire of El Tel and et alia personae, I will state that it is very correct that Christianity fulfil the meaning of the pagan festivals which were human shadows on the cave wall. Once the Creator incarnates the work of renewal of the whole creation could scarcely avoid the renewal of the shadowed into the actual!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #492
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Oh, inked!

BRAVO, Sir!

I'm all fluttery. I love to see a point made well.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #493
The Telcontarion

Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
Yes, but without any of their original meaning. That is important . We took the dates of pagan holidays and sanctified them by making them Christian holy days in order to make the transition to Christianity easier for people. I believe that was very helpful to people, psychologically.
I do think that it made the transition to christianity easier but I think the real reason for including these pagan holidays into christianity is far more more diabolical than that; let me just show you what the bible says about syncretism:

"When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.'

"You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it" (Deuteronomy 12:29-32).

God hated the practices of the heathen so much that he freely ordered the Israelites to kill them and take their land after their sojourn in the wilderness, so they could come into the promised land.

Amos 5:21-27
21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. 25 Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? 26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. 27 Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts.

It is a very serious thing, for this sin in particular he brought the Israelites into slavery over and over again as punishment. Whatever they mean now, we can't worship but on the appointed day of worship: we can't have easter it is not his feast day, we can't have christmas it is not his feast day (holy day), we can't have holloween which should be common sense. Even thanksgiving is an abomination (the indians call it, thanks taking, lol). None of these "holidays" can you practice...if you are christian that is.

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 11-21-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #494
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I do think that it made the transition to christianity easier but I think the real reason for including these pagan holidays into christianity is far more more diabolical than that; let me just show you what the bible says about syncretism:

"When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.'

"You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it" (Deuteronomy 12:29-32).

God hated the practices of the heathen so much that he freely ordered the Israelites to kill them and take their land after their sojourn in the wilderness, so they could come into the promised land.

Amos 5:21-27
21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. 25 Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? 26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. 27 Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts.

It is a very serious thing, for this sin in particular he brought the Israelites into slavery over and over again as punishment. Whatever they mean now, we can't worship but on the appointed day of worship: we can't have easter it is not his feast day, we can't have christmas it is not his feast day (holy day), we can't have holloween which should be common sense. Even thanksgiving is an abomination (the indians call it, thanks taking, lol). None of these "holidays" can you practice...if you are christian that is.
We know Jesus celebrated at the wedding feast of Cana, and when believers rise into Heaven they will experience the Bridal Feast of the Lamb, so we know that God doesn't disapprove of all feasts.

In the quote you provided, we see strong evidence that God hated the pagan feasts of Moloch and Chun. It's quite a leap to go from that to the belief that God hates Christian feast days that celebrate God's glory. In fact, I don't know how you got from A to Z, on that one .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #495
The Telcontarion

A little story about myself

When I was a child, about 4 years old, I climbed up a very tall fence that divided mine from my neighbors yard (*I was always climbing something). My mother caught me and was so livid. She took a a very thin piece of stick and wiped my @$$ for a long, long, long, time. I thought I would die.

The next day I came out side and saw the fence. I pointed and said to my mother who was close by, "Mommy, fence."

*Of coursed I did not listen to my mother. Some years later at 7 I broke my arm in 2 places, it was a very bad Fracture. It was not set properly and looked very crooked; it had to be reset. My arm still looks funny if I hold it in a certain position and if you look closely.

Two years later I fell from the top of an ackee tree and was knocked unconscious for about five minuits. I could hear my friends who jumped out the tree when I fell wondering, "Is he dead, is he dead?" I started to wonder to myself "Is who dead, I don't know is he?" All I could see was darkness.

When I did open my eyes, I asked "Where am I, who am I?" Don't worry it took me just a moment to gather myself and figure out what most have happened. I did not remember the fall, I think I was knocked unconscious when the first branch hit my head. I don't remember the other branches or the big flat granite stone that was under the tree for which it is known for.

My head was split open, a scare I have to this day. My hip was sprained which I did not find out until the next day, when I tried to get up out of bed, since I walked home fine. I was very scared to tell my mother what happened.

I know I sound like a broken record here sometimes. But since I have learned that I am an Israelite and have become aware, and my people have felt the effects, of the curses of god on my people, forgive me if I feel duly chastised and all I can say now is...

"Mommy, fence."

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-31-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #496
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Oh, inked!

BRAVO, Sir!

I'm all fluttery. I love to see a point made well.
Awww, sheeesh! 'Twern't nuttin', Ma'am!

But praise like'n to that from you-all is mighty fine! Fine 's frog's hair aft'a buzz cut!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 11-21-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: hit submit toooo sooooooonnnn
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #497
The Telcontarion

Quote:
We know Jesus celebrated at the wedding feast of Cana, and when believers rise into Heaven they will experience the Bridal Feast of the Lamb, so we know that God doesn't disapprove of all feasts.
That is not what I am referring to, I never said anything about "all feasts." Holidays are different from someone having a party and wedding feasts especially were common in Israel.

Quote:
In the quote you provided, we see strong evidence that God hated the pagan feasts of Moloch and Chun. It's quite a leap to go from that to the belief that God hates Christian feast days that celebrate God's glory. In fact, I don't know how you got from A to Z, on that one .
Pagan feast days do not celebrate gods glory. The A to Z bit...I don't get...your quote:

Quote:
We took the dates of pagan holidays and sanctified them by making them Christian holy days in order to make the transition to Christianity easier for people.
So you know the so called christian holy days are infact held on the dates of pagan holidays, so how do you mean from A to Z...

Quote:
..God hated the pagan feasts of Moloch and Chun. It's quite a leap to go from that to the belief that God hates Christian feast days that celebrate God's glory. In fact, I don't know how you got from A to Z, on that one .
eh?

Quote:
We took the dates of pagan holidays and sanctified them by making them Christian holy days in order to make the transition to Christianity easier for people.
My, head, spinning..

Quote:
..God hated the pagan feasts of Moloch and Chun. It's quite a leap to go from that to the belief that God hates Christian feast days that celebrate God's glory. In fact, I don't know how you got from A to Z, on that one .
*passing out*

Quote:
*fainted*....

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 11-21-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #498
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Pagan feast days do not celebrate gods glory. The A to Z bit...I don't get...your quote:

So you know the so called christian holy days are infact held on the dates of pagan holidays, so how do you mean from A to Z...
There's nothing intrinsically bad about any particular day. If Satan says, "okay, this day is mine," does he have the authority to claim a day of God's creation as his own private property? Does Satan have the right to say, "anything done on this day is to my glory, even if you're trying to celebrate God"? That's complete nonsense. Satan has no right to make any day intrinsically evil. He can't just "claim a day," and then make all Christian holy activities (whether prayer or otherwise) unholy simply because they're practiced on that day. Satan can't make dates evil. He can only do evil things on those days, and convince other people to do evil things on those days too. That's what he does on pagan feasts such as those condemned in the Bible. He does evil on that day, but God never gave him that day as his own private property on which holy activities such as a feast in remembrance of Christ's Passion are wrong. The idea that a date should be surrendered to Satan as his private property so that we cannot validly celebrate the glory of God on it is just bizarre . . .

Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #499
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
That's what he does on pagan feasts such as those condemned in the Bible. He does evil on that day, but God never gave him that day as his own private property on which holy activities such as a feast in remembrance of Christ's Passion are wrong. The idea that a date should be surrendered to Satan as his private property so that we cannot validly celebrate the glory of God on it is just bizarre . . .
Ok, sorry, but I find this incredibly offensive. My religion has nothing to do with Satan. Satan is a Christian invention.

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 11-21-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #500
The Telcontarion

Quote:
There's nothing intrinsically bad about any particular day. If Satan says, "okay, this day is mine," does he have the authority to claim a day of God's creation as his own private property? Does Satan have the right to say, "anything done on this day is to my glory, even if you're trying to celebrate God"? That's complete nonsense. Satan has no right to make any day intrinsically evil. He can't just "claim a day," and then make all Christian holy activities (whether prayer or otherwise) unholy simply because they're practiced on that day. Satan can't make dates evil. He can only do evil things on those days, and convince other people to do evil things on those days too. That's what he does on pagan feasts such as those condemned in the Bible. He does evil on that day, but God never gave him that day as his own private property on which holy activities such as a feast in remembrance of Christ's Passion are wrong. The idea that a date should be surrendered to Satan as his private property so that we cannot validly celebrate the glory of God on it is just bizarre . . .
This is a counterfeit argument because satan does not decide to use a particular date, it is man. And the point is that god has already declared to us what days are holy and what days are not, what days are his high holy days (day of atonement, day of trumpets, hannukah etc) and what days are not. Anything outside that is not pleasing to the lord; christmas, holloween, easter, all of it is not acceptable to christianity, period.

A wedding feast is not a holy day, a feast held to honor someone or to celebrate a personal achievement does not apply.