Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #481
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Governor’s Mansion, Monday, around 12:30

A patronizing expression on his face, Maethor sat looking blandly as Miriel and Malaphel chattered on.

“Oh, you simply must come to the governor’s mansion for coffee, Professor Maethor,” Miriel had effused.

“Are you sure it would not be too much trouble, my dear?” Maethor hedged politely.

Malaphel, not to be cut out of the conversation by her sister, gave her sister a piqued look and then interrupted her. “Certainly not, Professor. We would be delighted to have you!”

“Shall we leave now then, ladies?” Maethor asked.

“Oh, yes, yes!” both of them said in unison.

Quickly he paid for the bottle of wine that he had drunk at the Red Herring. Then with one arm hooked about Miriel’s arm and the other hooked about Malaphel’s, they set off for the governor’s mansion. The doorman smiled benignly as he ushered them into the entry hall. Soon the two girls had taken him into a comfortable sitting room. Orders for tea and cakes were given to the servants, and soon all were seated comfortably about the room.

“Delightful tea, my dears,” Udu said. Really he thought, “It is rather bland for my tastes.”

“Cakes, sir?” asked the serving girl.

“Only a few, please. Since recovering from a terrible Eastern malady, I have not had much appetite,” he said and smiled politely. He nodded to her as she gave him a plate with several rich pastries.

“More tea, sir?”

“Just a spot, thank you,” he beamed at the serving girl.

Miriel and Malaphel ate their cakes and drank their tea daintily, smiling at him, but their interests were perked at the mention of some strange disease.

“Were you terribly ill, Professor?” Miriel asked excitedly.

“It must have been terrible, Professor Maethor!” added Malaphel.

“I almost perished,” he said. “Death was almost upon me.” He thought, “I might as well make this sound as serious as I can, and sympathy is always a soothing balm.” He coughed deeply.

“Oh, Professor, I am so sorry!” sympathized Miriel.

“You poor dear,” said Malaphel.

“Ladies, I am in fair health now, but I fear my appetite is wretched. I ate but little.”

They looked at him sympathetically, and thought about what he had said.

“I would like to have met your father,” he addressed Miriel.

“He is occupied in his study with a great store of papers and will not be disturbed. I am sure he would have like to have met you, Professor!”

“Perhaps another time,” said Maethor.

He crossed his legs and ate sparsely of the cakes. “I saw only a little of the performance of the Eastern dancers at the reception. That was disappointing. I should like to have seen a longer performance. I have seen them in the East.”

“Tell us about the dances of the East, Professor,” Miriel said excitedly.

“Yes, do, do!” echoed Malaphel.

He thought to himself and pondered what he could say that would not be too shocking to their Western senses.

“I will say, my dears,” a slight hint of a smile on his face, “that they put their hearts, souls and bodies into their dances. They are said to be very,” he paused, “rewarding. The dances I mean.”
Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #482
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

"Professor Mahtaliel," interrupted the Chancellor, irritation obvious in his voice. "Please add Professor Galadannun’s classes to the schedule. I expect you to be less forgetful next time."

"I was not forgetful, Chancellor. There were no students listed for Oriental Languages and thus no reason to include it." Mahtaliel replied, thoroughly annoyed.

"Did I not tell you to include all classes regardless? Last night our Governor requested that his daughters take Oriental Languages and I agreed, believing that it would be a simple change to make."

"I've been doing the schedules since before you came here and not once have I ever been told to include classes for which there are no students."

"Would I lie to you, Professor?" The Chancellor snapped, "It is your own fault if you chose to ignore my instructions."

"I ignored nothing," she told him angrily, "You were blantently discourteous when you failed to inform me of this change last night despite having ample oppurtunity to do so!"

The chancellor smiled sarcastically, "Professor, I have more important things to do during the Annual Reception than to discuss schedules with you".

There was an awkward silence. Realizing that the rest of the professors were watching with visible interest, Mahtaliel attempted to calm down.

"How many students?" She asked, turning to Galadanunn.

"Two. The Governor's daughters." He replied cooley.

"Let me see your schedule." She took the paper and studied it for a moment, before appropriating a quill and jotting down the class in an empty time slot. "I will make the changes, because there are only two students effected. Should this happen again, you are on your own."

"Very well, go and inform the students," commanded the Chancellor impassivley. He rose, indicating that the Orientation was over. "Professor Galadannun, please stay here, I must have some words with you regarding your classes."
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 12-01-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #483
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quickly everybody filed out of the Chancellor’s study, leaving only the Chancellor himself and Professor Galadannun.
“I need to ask you something,” said the Chancellor.
“And I need to tell you something My Captain. Yesterday there was a situation, which was overlooked when you arrived due to the circumstances,” replied Khamûl urgently.
“A situation?” said the Chancellor, frowning.
“Yes My Lord. Before I arrived Lord Buzukkumarz unfortunately knocked over one of the Maids. She had the Black Breath and after the state Lilaewen and Buzukkumarz were in last night they could have said anything,” said Khamûl. Although his power easily outmatched the lower seven the Morgul Lord was more powerful by far, and was to be feared when angry.
“Well I trust all was sorted,” replied the Chancellor, staying calm much to the relied of Khamûl.
“Yes. I erased all memories as well as I could, and planted in her mind lust for my stable boy. I poured some bottles of wine down her throat and took her to the stables. This morning me and Buzukkumarz took her to the bridge where she was seen to commit suicide,” replied Khamûl.
“And you didn’t think to mention it to me, even after what I said last night?” answered the Chancellor.
“It seemed but a small matter My Lord. One mere mortal. I deemed you would see me fit to deal with her,” said Khamûl, getting slightly worried again.
“You were right, My Lord Khamûl, and you have done well, and rewarded my trust in you. Yet I believe we shall avoid the matter of the elf-servant,” replied the Chancellor, with a small smile. “For I have an important task for you.”
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #484
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The Red Herring
early Monday morning

Tyaron reached out for the teapot and poured out some more tea for everyone, and the talk turned to their plans for the day.

"I have two classes I need to attend shortly," said R*an, "but after that, I'm free, as far as I know, now that I don't need to be at Orrodel anymore."

"Why did you even take that job, sister?" asked Alagos, puzzled.

R*an frowned, her brow wrinkled with thought. "It's hard to explain .. it's just ... don't you ever feel like you want to be around humans, brother? It is part of who we are, you know, and we grew up among the elves and have spent most of our lives among the elves. I just get to where I want to be around humans sometimes, and I found that taking jobs like here at the Red Herring lets me be around them in kind of a ... I don't know, I can just kind of watch..." she trailed off. "Or if I see someone I like, I can talk with them. Then the Orrodel job just came up, and it sounded kind of different and interesting, so I tried it. I don't think I'll be doing a job like that again any time soon, though! I had no idea they expected me to be there all the time!"

"That certainly seemed to be how that Professor looked at it!" agreed Alagos wryly.

"Alagos, don't you ever feel like ... oh, like you're between two worlds sometimes?"

Alagos sat back to think. "I don't know, R*an ... I don't think so. I've always looked on our heritage as an advantage - as a rich thing. And I don't feel the need to be around humans or elves as such, I just like being around people that I like. I do seem to feel much more at home among the elves, but I have met many men that I have felt friendship with in my travels."

R*an shook her head. "Well, enough of that for now." He didn't seem to understand her, although he was trying. She changed the subject. "So what are you two going to do while I'm gone?"

Alagos looked at Tyaron. "What do you say to just exploring the town? I have some shafts that are ready for fletching, and I need to find some silk thread and some hide for glue."

"Fine with me. Why don't you make some triangle cut ones, too? Those are always fun for the boys. I've seen some peeking out at us, and it would be a good way to get to know some of them. I imagine we'll be here awhile, if R*an is going to take those classes."

"Of course I am!" said R*an a bit hotly. "A professor went to a lot of trouble to get me in them, since registration had passed, and they sound very interesting."

"I didn't mean it that way, R*an," said Tyaron. "I didn't expect you to drop your classes. I expect they will be very interesting. And it will give you a good chance to be around more humans, too."

He finished his tea and stood up, stretching in the sun. "I'm ready to go when you are, Alagos," he said. He turned to R*an. "I'll drop by and see how Hwesta is doing, too, and maybe take her out for a quick ride, since you sent the lad to tell the blacksmith about us already."

"That would be great, I'm sure she'd appreciate that!" replied R*an. It was difficult for her to keep just the right tone in her voice. Friendly, as befits a long-time family friend, but not too encouraging. She still couldn't believe that she had let him kiss her last night - his voice always DID affect her, and coming on top of seeing them both again, and that night at the reception... She shook her head - well, that wasn't going to happen again any time soon!

Alagos peered down the street. "Isn't that Eärniel coming, R*an?" he asked.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-14-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #485
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Khamul gets a promotion

Chancellor's study, University Palace, Monday 10.30 AM.

The Morgul Lord rose and went to an open window, screening the surroundings with his senses, to be sure no spies lurked around. Over the recent fifty yours he acquired a habit to do it constantly. There was no one around, no foreign presence, no smell of blood, no stir of thought.

"Yes, we will better not discuss this morning's argument with the Elves, Professor Galadannun", drawled the Captain icily.

The Morgul Lord had been furious when his spies brought reports of the quarrel on the very doorstep of Orrodel, witnessed by the most influential Elves in Tharbad. And now Khamul told him of the murder in the house, this very night. What was the hot-blooded Second thinking? Why had he ever permitted Lilly to hire an Elf? Why would Lilly want one? Blunder after blunder. It is clear that the Easterling can't be left at the head of the Orrodel group anymore, as he is unable to keep quiet.

The Morgul Lord turned back to Khamul. The Lieutenant was waiting, worry obvious on his face. The Captain smiled warmly. The last thing he needed now was a quarrel with the hotheaded vengeful Easterling. He will deal with the Second after the Quest.

"I have an important task for you, Khamul. The one I can't assign to any other, but my most trusted lieutenant."

Khamul nodded, visibly relaxing. "I will do it, My Lord. Just name it."

The Captain scanned the surroundings again, and then said in a level voice "You have seen the Tower of the Keep, Minas Aran. It contains the Library and the Observatory; that is known to everyone. But the old Tower has several levels of underground vaults. Nobody goes there, nobody knows about them. It must remain this way in the future. The vaults keep many secrets. There is my secret laboratory, poison and weapon storage, secret treasury, and torture chambers. I need one whom I can trust to guard all this from nosy Elves and men."

The captain went to the window again and looked on the lush garden. "Your predecessor in Oriental Languages was the former Librarian. Once he ventured into the vaults at night. He wouldn't have been able to open the secret door on his own, but this night I was there myself, weaving some spells. He walked right into the laboratory, curious and awed. I had to dispose of the man diligently; hopefully it stirred no suspicions. You have taken his place, Khamul, so the post of the Librarian is yours by right. You will get a cosy apartment in the Tower itself, and the palace servants, the wine cellar and the kitchen are at your service."

Khamul nodded, pleased and relaxed now. The Chancellor smiled and continued "Recently, Mahtaliel spends a lot of time in the Library, bringing all sort of people with her. That should be stopped. When you take over the Library, the Elves, who hate you, will not venture into the Minas Aran tower too much."

"I will do what I can in that direction" laughed Khamul harshly."But what about those in Orrodel?"

"I will find a new minder for them", said the Captain, smiling to some hidden private joke. "Don't worry. You may take your belongings and move to the Tower this very evening."

Last edited by Gordis : 11-11-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #486
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Monday, Monday...

Monday morning - starting about dawn:

Kneeling on the floor, Valandil felt miserable. And what a waste, he thought... all that good, exotic food from the Chancellor's table... now spilled out in the bucket before him. And unless he missed his guess, the mixture was going to continue its work through the rest of his digestive system.

Now THIS was a new use for athelas... mixed with particular herbs and roots it caused... oh great, here we go again...

The Sword of Isildur sat in a corner, quite pleased with itself. 'Well... he's not like his father Isildur was, nor even Aratan or Ciryon... or even Meneldil. More like... Elendil, or Anarion or Elendur...'

'*sigh* - I think I'll be quiet for awhile now.' thought the Sword - as its new master continued in his upheavals. 'As for him... ah, won't do him much harm... might do 'im some good... who can say?'

Estelmo caught sight of Valandil as he wandered through the kitchen for his pre-morning constitutional. "Oh lad!" he said, "Are you alright?"

Valandil retched in response. At least his only class on Monday was a bit later in the day...

- - - - - - -

Oreturion had left the house early, skipping breakfast. There was work to do. He walked briskly toward the University, his eyes fixed forward.

Before long, a knock came to the Chancellor's door. "Enter" he said.

"A Lord Oreturion to see you, Your Grace."

The Chancellor found that he could be surprised. This might be interesting. "Yes... send him in... of course!" and the Chancellor rose in preparation to greeting this guest.

When Oreturion entered the room, he seemed more at ease than he had been in their last discussion at the previous evening's reception - only a very few full hours before. He even seemed almost cordial, and smiled slightly.

"My Lord Ilmenzor." began Oreturion, with a slight incline of his head.

"My Lord Oreturion," replied the Chancellor. "What a pleasant surprise to see you again so soon. How may I be of service to you?"

"Lord Ilmenzor... I have a request. While serving my King here in this city, it seemed an opportune time to pursue the study of a few interests I have always held. I wish to request the use of the University Library."

"Excellent!" replied the Chancellor with a smile. "As an academic, it always brings joy to my heart to see others seek knowledge for its own sake. You have full use of our fine library and access to all our collections therein." Oreturion was not telling him everything, this was certain. What particular interest has suddenly seized this man's fancy? Did it have to do with the shield he had placed upon the man at the banquet?

"Come," he continued. "I will show you the way."

The two of them left the Chancellor's suite and soon reached the library. There, the Chancellor produced a ring of keys, one of which he placed into the lock of the door, opening it, and then he pushed the door aside.

"Come for me when you are finished. If I am not available, leave word for me with my secretary - and they will send someone to watch these doors until I can return to lock them. Now, if you will pardon me, I must return to my duties." This last he said with a bow.

As they exchanged their final pleasantries and said their farewells, the Chancellor decided that Oreturion must be watched. He needed someone there to keep track of things... someone he could trust...

- - - - - - -

As morning turned to noon, Oreturion sat at a great table, with scrolls all about him. He would sit there all day if he must - and tomorrow and the next day and the next. He MUST find all that he could on the drinking customs of Eregion... and the significances of each gem used in them.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 11-30-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #487
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Ah, I've seen you've eaten already. Good." Eärniel said when she reached the Red Herring and spotted the other Elves.

"Are you ready, R*an? We should get to the university soon to collect our lesson rosters. It's been a busy morning so far but we've still got a day in class ahead of us."

"I'm ready, or at least as ready as I can be, being barred from my belongings in Orrodel at the moment." R*an said somewhat disappointed.

"In that case," Eärniel said with a smile, "I'm pleased to tell you that you will forget the Orrodel-place very soon, for I have succeeded in finding you some proper lodgings, with a less demanding landlord this time. Actually, I have found you all three lodgings. And I can tell the gentlemen," she added with a pointed look at Alagos and Tyaron, "that not showing up and trying to sleep in the wild again, will not be an option."

"And speaking of options," she went on as she rummaged through her shoulder bag, "I nearly forgot. Here. It's one of mine, but it will fit. I doubted you wanted to go to class in your best dress."

She handed R*an a green dress. The fabric was soft and pleasing but the cut was simple.

"Oh Eärniel, thank you! You must have read my mind. I'll go change right away. I'll be back in a minute." R*an said and disappeared with the dress into the back of the café.

"So where did you manage to find rooms so quickly?" Alagos asked. "You weren't gone long."

"The couple that have provided me with lodgings still had some empty rooms. Their house used to be an inn but it closed several years ago. But Itazel and Danor still like having visitors so they were very eager to have you staying over. It's not far from here, just walk in the direction of the Menetar, turn left after the Governor's Palace, cross the canal and the first house on the right is that of Itazel and Danor. They're expecting you."

R*an returned, now wearing the green dress.

"Ah," R*an said, her eyes shining, "This is much better. Shall we?"

"We shall," Eärniel said. "Alagos, Tyaron, we'll see you later at the inn. Goodbye!"

The two Elves left the Red Herring and turned in the direction of the university.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #488
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

earlier morn at the herring ...

*flashback*

"Aye, mores the shame of it, Bingo: tis young Melwen, Zimra's cousin ... you remember Zimra? used to work in the bakers on Tien hael ... always had a smile for the watch as i recall ..."

"you don't say?" replied Barliman, pulling the pipe from his mouth that momentarily dropped open ...

.................................................. ..........................................

"that i do!" drawled Dwimmer.

" i heard tell both zimra and and the unfortunate Melwen both recently just took up positions at the orrodel house - wi' them there new folk what just arrived but a few days ago ..."

"ah" pondered constable BB, popping the pipe back into the corner of his mouth, "mmmph!"

dwimmer took another long pull on his pipe.

the pair of them sat there a while wreathed in smoke

"did ee' hear tell who's a running the household, then dwimmer?"

"aye! ... an elf! mark you ... maybe you've seen her ... used to work in here as it happens - always braiding her hair - "

"you don't say!" repeated barliman again, thinking .... dwimmer's eyes sparkled looking at the constable's constipated expression ... thinking deeply by the looks of it, he thought ...

suddenly with an almighty heave and sigh barliman got up, the dark green watch's cloak swirling around him.

"well i must go see Zimra ... once you've attended the body dwimm, let me know if aught appears amiss, will 'ee?" with a nod at the undertaker he turned, but just by the door he again looked over at dwimmerbusy "and let Mrs miggins and all the staff here know ..i'd like a quick word with the elven lady should they see her!"

with that Barliman was gone .. he was not looking forward to bearing this news to young Zimra, not one bit ...

stepping outside into the cold air, he felt a chill wind blow almost straight through him ... slowly he took out his hat, the deer-stalker that Elmir had given him on his last birthday

with a shrill whistle, he called "Watson!"

and moving off in his cloak, hat, and with his lit pipe he walked slowly towards orrodel quitely observing the quiet streets, until with a patter of feet and a friendly howl his hound watson joined him, tail wagging excitedly.

.................................................. ............................................

"Grrrrrrmmmph!" managed bumble again his bleary eye now focusing on the maid

"well good morning, then professor, i'll be orf, theres a hearty broth ere' for you, just what you like after the reception!"

winking, she left.

.................................................. .............................................

somewhere an owl hooted ...... it was her birthday, someone had left a fresh fat field mouse in the old tower ....
Old 11-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #489
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Monday Morning
the Red Herring, and on the way to the Inn

Tyaron and Alagos watched R*an and Eärniel walk off. "Well, let's get over to this inn!" Alagos said, standing up and stretching in his turn. "It will be nice to sleep in something softer than a tree again!" "And it will be nice to be near R*an's friend, too," he thought to himself.

"R*an's friend seems nice; it will be pleasant to be lodging with her and get to know her better," said Tyaron, as though he was reading his friend's mind. Alagos stopped in mid-stretch and eyed his friend suspiciously, and then grinned.

They set off slowly down the road, turning left after the Governor's mansion as Eärniel has instructed. Alagos stole a quick look at his friend. "Well, speaking of lovely women, and seeing as how we're finally alone ... " he stopped and leaned back against the canal railing with an expectant look. But Tyaron didn't seem inclined to pick up the subject. "Come on, brother - did you two finally come to an agreement? It sure looked like it, from my vantage point! And it's about time, too, in my opinion! I don't know how you've been so patient with her."

Tyaron leaned his elbows on the railing and watched the water flow by. "No, we didn't," he said, not taking his eyes off the water.

Alagos was surprised - this was NOT the answer he had expected. He looked around and saw that no one was within hearing distance, but he switched over to Gondolic just in case. "Then what were you doing kissing her like that? How would she have allowed that? I know her!" said Alagos, a little brotherly protectiveness rising up in him.

"I have been very patient, and I've decided that I've been patient enough. It's now or never, and it was imperative for me to find out if there is at least even a little spark of love for me in her heart. You've seen her fight against me - but it IS a fight, and I think that means that there's something she's fighting against that is FOR me."

He turned to face Alagos. "My singing has always greatly affected her, as you know," he said impassively. "She may be pereldar, but as far as singing goes, I've seen few other even among the Eldar with her sensibility." He paused, and then contined quietly and a bit arrogantly, his eyes dark and difficult to read: "So I sang her into my power, Alagos. I sang to her with everything I had until I knew she was completely in my power. And then I kissed her."

Alagos didn't trust himself to answer; he was too shocked. This was not the friend he knew. This was some cold, arrogant stranger. Tyaron went on, impassively and deliberately. "I thought that if there was absolutely NOTHING in her heart for me, that she would soon start to object. But she didn't. Maybe my singing affected her more than I thought, but I think I'm right - I think there IS something there. Of course now she's angry at me and is trying to keep her distance, but that's to be expected."

Alagos felt the hot anger rising in him. This was his sister they were talking about, and his best friend had taken unfair advantage of her, and was now impartially analyzing her like she was some type of animal he was hunting. He said quietly but through clenched teeth, "If I didn't know you so well and for so long, Tyaron, there might have been TWO duels this morning."

Tyaron sighed heavily and looked back at the water. "I don't blame you, Alagos, but nothing else has worked. I had to do this; to shake her out of her comfortable little place of keeping me at an arm's distance, just where she wants me. I won't stay where she wants me to stay anymore. It's marriage or a final farewell, and I have one year. I'll stop at nothing. There is something in her that she has to deal with that has prevented her from marrying me, and letting her stay comfortable will only let her continue to ignore it. I'm going to force her to deal with it."

"Why did you tell me this?" asked Alagos grimly, after a long pause.

"I thought you should know. You are her brother," said Tyaron simply. He sighed again, and then added, "No matter what you might be thinking now, I am an honorable man, and you are her only living relative. I just thought you should know."

Alagos was torn. He had long desired for them to marry, but this ...

"Has anything else worked?" asked Tyaron.

"No," he had to admit.

They looked at the water together.

"Just ... be careful," Alagos finally said. "I'll be watching you."

Tyaron laid a hand on Alagos's arm. "I would give my life for her," he said, "if she would only allow me. I love her, Alagos. I will be careful."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-14-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #490
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Governor’s Mansion, Monday, around 1:30

“It was so nice having you today, Professor Maethor,” gushed Miriel, “and we do hope you will come again!”

“Oh yes!” echoed Malaphel.

“Ladies, it was a delight being here, and I am quite sure I will come back as often as I am invited,” Udu remarked as he rose to his feet. He was relieved that at last he would be free of them for the rest of the day. He thought he would walk over to the university and investigate that second floor where the Eastern dancers were supposed to be staying. He surely did not want Miriel and Malaphel tagging along with him for that.

Each sister stood up and offered him her hand. He bowed, and after taking each one in turn, his lips barely grazed over the top of each one of their hands, the most discreet of courtly handkissing. They both beamed.

“Now I must be going.”

“Let us show you to the door,” they said in unison as each one took his arm. They passed the doorman who was dozing but quickly woke up, opening the door for them and wishing the professor well.

“Goodbye! Goodbye!” the sisters said.

“Good day to you both,” Maethor replied, and then turned, walking down the steps and onto the street.

After making his way to the university, he climbed the stairs up to the second floor. An inquiry about the Eastern dancers made to passing servants yielded only that, “They are resting.” Udu wondered if he would ever get to see them.

“Ah, well,” he thought, as he left the university and strolled down Menetar. “I could use a drink of something far stronger than tea after all that.” He passed by the Red Herring Inn where he had been earlier that day, and then walked down a street to the southwest. Arriving at a bridge across the Cherant Formen, he felt that uncomfortable feeling of the closeness of water. As he looked down below the bridge for a moment, he felt dizzy and disoriented. “Look straight ahead,” he thought as he set his gaze firmly on the other bank.

Letting out a sigh of relief as he crossed over, he walked close to the buildings on the right side of the street. Then ahead he saw a sign, “The Rotten Cod Inn.”

“It appears to be one of those disreputable waterfront places that sailors always like to go. Usually both the establishments and the clientele are most unsavory.” He was dubious about the appearance of the place and the patrons, so he stood standing in the street, considering whether to take a chance on the inn or go back to the Red Herring.

A mariner, who had far too much ale to drink, staggered out of the door of the inn and sang a lewd song about tavern wenches. Udu sidestepped the man as he wobbled over to him, saying, "Say, mate, you wouldn't have a copper coin to spare? I am out of money and I need another drink badly!"

Udu took a coin out of a pouch at his belt and flipped it to the drunken man.

"Cheers," he said as he sauntered away. "I might as well explore the city. It is well to know every back alley," he thought as he walked northeastward along the streets between buildings. When he came out of the road to a thoroughfare, directly before him was a sign that read, "Singing Swan Inn." As he walked in, he was greeted by the innkeeper.

"A quiet table, please, and a bottle of wine."

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-12-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #491
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Bumble staggered rather erratically out of bed, his white silvery hair standing up like storm tossed wave spray...

mmm.... if he breakfasted quickly and threw on his dressing gown and slippers over his just rather off-white long-johns he could make it to the orientation in close to some sort of time ....

ahh! the hot game and marrow soup was good ... always a boon after a late night and the odd goblet of wine or two ....

popping on his bear skin slippers and tattered brown and white checkered dressing gown and taking the broth with him in it's tall mug he doddered off towards the orientation ...

best not be later than usual he thought, wouldn't do at all!

.................................................. .............................

Constable BB was, in the best traditions of the watch, moving slowly .... dawdling along you might almost say .... he could not even bring himself to whistle - he just was not looking forward to bringing this news to Zimra ...

the house at orrodel was looming ever nearer, the City was now beginning to wake in earnest, carts trundling along the cobbled streets, a drover marching his geese up to the market,

"watson! ..heel, boy!"

as he passed the hill and the museum, Augon Vin's beautiful square could be seen ahead, farmers and traders setting up the monday market in the eastern side of the square, well away from the towering statue of Elendil and the fountain ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-12-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #492
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Scars, Trick and Treat snuck into the Governor's Palace on their treck for treasure and mischief to comit.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:24 AM   #493
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Mahtaliel entered the Main Hall and was relieved to see that most of the students were already there and in possesion of their schedules, thanks to the two resident assistant professors, Raisa and Gawen.

"We're still missing a few Professor," Gawen, the younger of the two, handed her the remaining schedules, "If the half hour comes and they still haven't shown up would you like Raisa or myself to stay and wait?"

"Thank you, Gawen, I think that would be best." Mahtaliel quickly leafed through the papers, checking to see who had yet to come, spotting the papers for the MM's she pulled them out and marked the change in their schedules down before returning them to to pile. "Raisa!"

Hearing her name called, Raisa broke away from the crowd to join them.
"Yes?"

"Would you stay here and wait for any students who might be running late?"

"Will do."

"Good. Gawen, I need you to take these papers," she handed him the schedules belonging to the professors whose absence had been noted, "Could you deliver these to the professors they belong to?"

"I'll take care of it."

He took the papers and headed off just as the bells began to ring the half hour.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #494
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Jas glanced down the timetable that had been handed to him. Wine tasting was at the very bottom, 4pm to 6 pm. And only four students... thank Arda! He remembered once a whole gang of rowdy youths had taken his course only to spend the whole time swilling as much free wine as they could, and generally getting drunk... it had been a nightmare! He still shuddered at the memory...

In the meantime, he might just as well have a spot of breakfast. And then, he could devote some time planning his first lesson, and then lunch, as usual, in the Singing Swan. They usually had some excellent mulled mead...

Coming out of the Morgul Lord's study, Tolvadok met a veritable herd of professors and students led by a middle-aged and harrased looking elf. He put on a fake distressed look at once.. and then bowing politely, he stepped aside. Watching Mahtaliel pass through the corner of his eye, (and it had to be her, he hadn't seen any other elfs so far) he wondered what she was doing here in Tharbad... well, he would find out soon enough.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 11-13-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #495
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

carreering creakily around a sudden corner that had been looming for a while, professor Bumbledore banged straight into Gawen running to complete her errand ..

"oomph!"

"Ah .. good morning Gawen ... where the devil is the orientation thingy? Has it been moved?"

Bumble (never liking to be more than 30 minutes late, he was not a tardy man after all - had just been tipped off by a porter with a wink that they had all gone off to the Chancellors' study,)

Gawen, smiled , "ahh Sir Bumbeldore! - the very man - here's your schedule ... must dash - yes we all got called into the chancellor's office - i'll tell proffessor Mahtaliel that you had just missed us going there!"

with a smile and a hasty nod Gawen ran off

Bumble smiled, he had not wanted to appear late - well time for some fresh air and then on to lunch , where was Proffessor Jas? twas time for a second guess on the wine maybe over a hearty lunch later - and to continue their game, the Singing swan would be just the place ....

Last edited by Butterbeer : 11-13-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #496
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Singing Swan Inn, Monday afternoon, around 2 PM

The wine was a good vintage and quite satisfying to the palate. Sitting at a table in the corner of the room, Maethor watched the clientele. It was an excellent place to sit, offering a clear view of anyone who came in the door. The innkeeper had been quite curious about him, but Udu was confident that any questions in the man’s mind were settled after Udu had explained that he was the new professor teaching siege tactics at the university.

“Pleased to meet you, sir,” said the innkeeper as he showed him to his table. “The serving girl will be here soon to take your order. I am sure that you will find everything to your liking.”

Udu was quite sure that he would. The serving girl was pretty, but not that pretty, Udu thought as he looked at her. He quickly dismissed her from his thoughts with a courteous smile.

“Sir, will a bottle of wine be all you want? Would you not like a light afternoon repast?”

“No, thank you, a bottle of wine is all I wish,” he said as he smiled benignly to her.

Mildly disappointed that the Eastern dancing girls had been resting when he had inquired about them at the university, Udu wondered if they were as good as the girls in the East. Such thoughts made him homesick, and he reminded himself to look for some gifts for his wives back in the East. “They will be impressed,” he thought, “even at a bauble as a memento of my trip to the West.” They were easy to please, all of them being, for the most part, daughters of herdsmen and drovers.

“I must not drink too much wine in public,” he concluded, “for mortals cannot consume such quantities as I do without showing the effects of it.” Disappointment filled him, for he had been quite thirsty. There had been several frustrations that day, but at least he had been successful in purchasing that house that he had seen on his ride into the city.

“Close to the livery stable,” he thought, “and excellent in case I should have to leave the city quickly.” Some of his loyal men, warriors from the East, would be arriving in a fortnight or so, and along with them, traveling by wain, would be two of his wives. Of course, he would let it be known that one was his housekeeper and cook, and the other was his chambermaid. That would work well enough, for the one he hoped to pass for a housekeeper was the only one of the pair who could speak anything other than a remote dialect of Khand.

He would have to move out of his rooms at the university, but there was plenty of time for that. Besides, he must see the Eastern dancing girls. “Tonight,” he thought, “I will take another visit to the second floor of the university, and, who knows, perhaps they will be entertaining with another one of those dances that only the women of the East can perform.”

Most of the six men that he expected to arrive were unable to speak anything but their own native dialects, but two of them could, and he planned on making one of them his “doorman.” If anyone tried to break into his house or spy upon him, all six of the men were quite adequate with a wicked curved dagger, and were more than capable of dealing with “burglars.”

Two men were escorted into the common room by the innkeeper, and Udu recognized both of them from the reception. He stood up at his table and called out, “Professor Bumbledore and Professor Fernik, will you not join me for a drink and something to eat?”

“Certainly, certainly,” said Bumbledore as he shambled towards Udu’s table, and Fernik was quick to nod his agreement. Soon both men were seated on the other side of the table.

“Mortals,” he thought, smiling his smile that touched the lips but never went to the eyes.

“Good to see both of you today. Splendid day, is it not?”
Old 11-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #497
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

University Main Hall, around 10.30 AM Monday

Aiwendis stood slightly apart from the small crowd of students assembled in the Main Hall. The Professors were late with the schedules. Aiwendis sought the King, but Valandil was not there, and she felt relief. It would be difficult to face him after last night. Marthalion and Raendil, the King’s two friends, were missing as well, as was Vivvie. Perhaps she has been successful in ensnaring one of them, if not both.

Lilly stood in the far corner, pouting. At least, she understood well that she was not supposed to know Aiwendis. Or, perhaps, Lilly understood nothing, as usual, but just hated to approach her after the quarrel last night. Aiwendis felt irritation at Lilly stirring again.

At this moment in walked Mahtaliel, followed by Gawen and Raisa, her two assistants. Aiwendis watched as the Crow made her announcement thinking about her collections of poisons in the Tower vaults. On the second shelf there was a little bottle of viper venom, and, near it , was that of a giant Haradian tarantula. The latter was too exotic, perhaps, but vipers were in abundance in Tharbad area. …Or this nice pale mushroom… She could order mushroom dish in the kitchens, for all the University. The season was quite right for mushrooms. Who would suspect her if one wrong mushroom had been collected?. Oh… if only the Morgul Lord permitted her…

Finally Gawen approached and, with a slight bow, handed Aiwendis her schedule. Aiwendis looked at it with sinking heart. Yes, here it was. Jewelry-Making, at ten. So, she will have to go to her lecture right away and listen to the hated, stinking Elf.

Sighing, Aiwendis left the Main Hall, turned right and then left into Rath Aran. Not far from the North Gate, on her right, she saw the L-shaped Arts building, its walls concealed by ivy and its window-shutters painted yellow. Sighing again, she entered and sat alone in a small classroom, waiting for the Crow.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-14-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #498
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Chancellor's study
Monday 10:10AM

"Gladly do I accept this kind offer, my Captain," replied Khamûl, knowing full well that there was no offer to accept. It was an order. "I will return to the University at 3pm with my things."
"There will be someone waiting," replied the Chancellor, who nodded towards the door, the sign for Khamûl to leave.
As he was leaving a young student Khamûl had seen with Professor Mahtalliel ran up to him.
"Professor," he panted, handing him a peice of paper. "Your timetable Professor. Oh, and you've been scheduled to teach Westeren History of Middle Earth."
"I have? And who okayed that?" replied Khamûl.
"The Chancellor. Is that ok?" answered the boy, knwing he wouldn't dare contradict the Chancellor's word.
"Ok," replied Khamûl, snatching his timetable from the grasp of the young student, and opening the main doors, and walking quickly back towards Orrodel.
Five minutes later he arrived down the road from Orrodel.
"Zimra. Pack my clothes," he barked to the newly appointed head maid as he opened the door.
"Your clothes sir?" she replied, slightly puzzeled.
"Yes, my clothes. Is that to complicated for you? I fired the last incompetent maid. I still have time to do it again," he replied harshly, as Zimra hurried upstairs.
"Your clothes? Why, where are you going?" asked Lily, who who had just returned from the University.
"You wil be glad to hear I am leaving. I have been appointed Head Librairian at the University, where I have been supplied with living quaters."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-15-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #499
Rían

Monday morning, 10-ish
University

R*an and Eärniel chatted about their classes on their way to the University. They would be in only one class together - Art History. R*an wondered if the King would be in any of her classes, and tried to find out in an indirect manner, asking Eärniel if she knew of anyone that was in her classes. Hearing that he was in Eärniel's Commerce class, she decided to expand her educational horizon in that direction. After all, she was only taking 2 classes, and there was plenty of time, as she was perfectly free to do what she wished with her time now. "I suppose I'll just go to the class a little early and talk to his aide and see if I can get in," she thought.

The two Elves arrived at the University and, after getting their schedules, parted ways. R*an headed off to her Jewelry Making class. She entered the classroom; no one else was in it yet except one tall, dark-haired young lady - ah, the Chancellor's daughter! - who turned briefly to see who was entering and gave R*an a very cool, slight nod before turning back to face the front of the room again. R*an sat down behind her and a little off to one side so she could examine the young lady's hair.

Last edited by Rían : 11-14-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #500
Rían

On the way to Itazel and Danor's house
Monday morning

Tyaron and Alagos silently watched the water together for a few more moments, Tyaron's hand still resting on his friend's arm. Tyaron was the first to move. "Well, why don't we meet these friends of Eärniel now, and then we can head back out to town and find you your supplies. You'll feel better when you get those arrows fletched! You archers are strange people!" he finished with a grin, as this was a long-standing mock-argument between them.

"Yes, to a swordsman, I suppose finesse, artistry, skill and style are rather strange and unfamiliar traits," answered Alagos with a superior air as they headed towards the house, following Eärniel's instructions.

He reached out for the door knocker and gave a couple of quick taps.

Last edited by Rían : 11-14-2005 at 04:55 PM.